Worst Pokemon Sprites?

I've heard both, but I went with Bulbapedia's answer for lack of any better credible source. They think it's supposed to be some "carrot & stick" metaphor.

Although honestly I always thought it looked like a paddleball toy then anything else. I guess they got to do something to pass the time standing in one spot waiting for you to walk by.
I've never been able to see it as anything but a hypnotizing disc. When I first heard people reference it as a lollipop, I had to look hard to see it.

(Plus, a lollipop doesn't exactly make much sense in context)

That's actually one of the best sprites from R/B actually.

Especially when compared to THIS monstrosity.

Well, that is worse. But something about the first Raticate sprite makes it look so horrible... it is one of the best of R/B though.

Maybe it's just the design, but to me Raticate just doesn't look good as a model either.

What is this monster.
Well, that is worse. But something about the first Raticate sprite makes it look so horrible... it is one of the best of R/B though.

Maybe it's just the design, but to me Raticate just doesn't look good as a model either.
I have always liked Raticate and I love that sprite and that model.
Also, bonus points on the sprite for looking like Cuddles the Hamster from Monster Blood II.

I think in terms of sprites Raticate's actually had a pretty good time. It's supposed to be the mutated, monstrous rat and all of them work for that.
Something bizarre to note tho is that it's DPPt/Gen 5 sprite is almost identical to it's japanese Red/Green one.
Yeah, I agree. Raticate's design is bland, but it seems to work out for it a majority of the time. That one was the worst I could find, which, even then, it's OK I guess.

Grimer from MD2 looks... surprised
Boo
Sad Larvitar
What the heck is Tyranitar doing with its neck?
DPP Rayquaza
Demon Jirachi
The tables have turned for Jirachi's eyes.
Bronzor as seen from the side
Bronzong's new haricut

Gold Umbreon (shiny to see better)

Boo
Sad Larvitar
DPP Rayquaza
Demon Jirachi
Bronzong's new haricut

I'm actually pretty fond of that Grimer sprite... it looks really cute.

Boo
Sad Larvitar
DPP Rayquaza
Demon Jirachi
Bronzong's new haricut

Some of those are actually really cute I mean look at that second Jirachi and that Eevee why are they here those are adorable
Bronzor's thing is more of a design quirk that's pretty funny
I've always loved Gen 4's Rayquaza sprite; there was always something... sort of cool about it.
Gen 3 Tyranitar tho I've never understood yeah. It's neck was so out of whack
But that Umbreon is completely black and blue... oh god it's the white and gold dress all over again

More bad trainer sprites!

Oh boy those limbs.

Are you going to flash me?

These are the same sprite from Gen 1 and 2, and somehow it got worse in the future. I don't know if it's the flat tire or just a bad color job. Speaking of which...

Gambler got bling in Gen 2.

This one is so bad it's good. Such pose.

Sir! Your face! Are you having a stroke?

Oh boy, where do I begin? The red light district? No wonder the Beauty trainer class got censored in Gen 2.

Why does his hair look like a glove?

I know it was supposed to be a "lion tamer" thing, but what was with all the whips in Gen1!

Heatmor

Banned deucer.
I always thought the original design of Slowbro was stupid.
First of all, the "Shellder" on his tail doesn't even look like a Shellder. It just looks like a shell with anime-eyes.
And why is it holding it like that?

It looks like he's literally licking the Shellder.

First of all, the "Shellder" on his tail doesn't even look like a Shellder. It just looks like a shell with anime-eyes.

You can't expect high-quality boots from a bootmaker if you give him horrible material. Slowbro had to be dopey, I understand that. Sadly, whenever they tried making him look like so, he either looked:

◘ as if it was having a heart attack (HGSS Sprite is a nice example),

◘ borderline creepy (FRLG sprite, Trozei! sprite),

◘ sad...really sad (Yellow, also the second gen backsprites).

The RSE sprites were nice, in Emerald's case, when it stopped moving. The fifth gen ones were okay, I can't think of a better posture. The developers couldn't think of anything better, too. This is why we got a horrible XY model.

Last edited:

When I was really young I didn't notice the shell's eyes, so I thought he was just eating a cake. In fact, one of my friends described him as "a dumb alligator with a cake for a tail."

I always disliked Catnea's sprite from saphire/ruby/emerald. It's so confusing which was supposed to be the head. I worked out from an anime episode.

Trainer sprites:

"Hmmm...I wonder what happens when I touch these wires together?"

On the subject of whips...

"whatcha looking at...eh... Eh?"

There are a lot more annoying and funnier sprites for trainers you should see in RBY

Also, if this sprite was ever in the first games I would have been creeped out:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)