1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Wreck and Destroy (Peaked #1)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Motagua, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Motagua

Motagua El Ciclón Azul

@Pocket:
    I already did some testing, and I think that Lucario is not really a good replacement for Infernape. Infernape has excellent mixed stats and combined with his Speed, he deals a lot of damage and completes my Turn/Switch combo. Thanks for your suggestion anyways :).

Magic Bounce + Taunt definitely trolls my Deo-D set. It is an official change on my team.

The 96 Atk EVs will also be an official change. Did some laddering and I do need more power to stop pokemons with Bullet Punch. About Gastrodon, I just Trick them over and switch to Gengar/Ape. Infernape 2HKOs with Close Combat and Gengar trolls him with Disable. Also he becomes set-up fodder for Deo-D and D-nite.
  2. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Hey there :)

I have a team that's similar to this and I've noticed that a major problem to teams like this is rain teams. Tentacruel is a staple on almost every rain team, and it can cause this team serious problems. It can spin away the hazards set by Deoxys-D since Gengar is easily 2HKO'd by Scald and will be severely crippled if it comes in. Rotom-W also does not nearly hit hard enough to defeat it with Volt Switch; it can also easily defeat Scizor and Infernape 1 on 1. To solve this problem, I suggest that you run Expert Belt on Rotom-W with Thunder over Trick. Once Tentacruel sees the Hidden Power Ice, more often than not it will switch in, allowing you to hit it extremely hard with Thunder. This way, you can still keep your Volt-Turn core and retain offensive momentum. You will lose your scarfer, however. To fix this problem, I suggest that you run a Choice Scarf on Infernape. It already has the moveset to be a standard scarfer anyway, so will be excellent in this role.

Finally, run Taunt over Magic Coat on Deoxys-D. Without Taunt, Deoxys-D becomes complete set-up bait for Pokemon such as Volcarona, which can be a problem later on. Taunt allows you to stop these Pokemon easily, and also allows you to retain the ability to stop other Pokemon from setting up entry hazards on you. Also, run Night Shade over Ice Beam. Night Shade allows Deoxys-D to get consistent damage on almost every Pokemon (besides Normal-types). Night Shade also lets Deoxys-D defeat defensive variants of Rapid Spin starmie with the help of Rocky Helmet + Taunt; Taunt stops faster threats from setting up anyway.

Very solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!
  3. Motagua

Motagua El Ciclón Azul

Hey guys, after some testing with an anonymous alt, I tested most of the suggestions you made in the RMT. Give an applause to yourself guys! You were great in suggesting so many viable solutions. The RMT was updated with Pocket´s suggestions on Deo-D and Scizor, his changes on Deo-D´s set and Scizor´s EV spread (Bruno Magno suggested a change first on Scizor, but he didnt specify.) were a blast on this team!

Here are also some stuff that I tested and deserved to be mentioned in here:

- Scarf Ape: BKC was right, it covered my HP Ice Venusaur weakness, but the loss in freedom of moves gave the oponent turn to set-up when I was not using U-turn. Really inconvenient vs stall.
    - Bulky CB Scizor: skidilidy & harsha2014 suggested an amazing set that was able to tank powerful hits. It was really awesome testing this guy, but unfortunately, SD + Roost is too good to pass down. However, Im definitely using this set on other teams I am working :D!
    - Expert Belt Rotom-w: BKC suggested to run this alongside Scarf Ape. Signal Beam & HP Grass were really cool moves to troll Gastrodon and Celebi around, but it didnt helped against Dragonite who might grab a DD and kill anyways Ape with Extremespeed. HP Ice, on the other hand, had a more terrible time with Gastro.
    - HP Ice + Flare Blitz on Infernape: Evire suggested HP Ice, while a friend on my country, suggested to run it alongside Flare Blitz. With LO it was a friggin Al Qaeda! With Expert Belt, it missed the 2HKOs on Gastro and Quagsire with CC (Only 1 layer of SR + Spike is needed with LO on the latter).
  4. Nova

Nova Samsung Alpaca
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Great team here, gratz on getting to #1. This team resembles Mostwanted's Apocalypse team a lot
  5. Stone_Cold

Stone_Cold
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

One thing in my opinion this team fails to do though is defeat sun and I am sure a well built sun team will win every time. You rely heavily on momentum and unfortunately if you don't get it early on, you won't be able to win matches.

Two pokemon I want to point out and hopefully you will consider putting in sufficient counters.

1) With the sudden up-rise of SubHydreigon - IFM's rain sub hydra, and my sun sub hydra, it's a staple in todays metagame and it looks like it just completely overwhelms you. Fire Blast on Sub Hydra is more staple then the rain version which means scizor isn't a good switch in. Your gengar also isn't stopping it because disable is standard now so they can shuffle attacks to avoid disable. Ape outspeeds but dies in the process, and dragonite only lives dpulse without rocks but under a sub your in heaps of trouble.

Also, hydra does an excellent job at setting up on rotom so if you get set up on because of hydro, you gotta switch out and back in. While you can force hydra out once, it won't be much good. I would consider getting a mon such as gastro or some defensive prowless to take care of hydra.

2) My next concern in CB Terrakion. It outspeeds/ties with everything bar rotom and if your on HP Ice, it's a free attack. You have nothing to take STAB Stone Edge. Scizor is good for one switch in, deo is 2 hit and can't hit back. Gengar can take it but that's about it and gengar can easily be dealt with in this meta so it's just not reliable to take care of terra.

While I like the team, I don't think Deoxys should be there. You don't need the spikes, stealth rocks for your team is all you should need. Deo also takes away momentum you could potentially have. Not to mention, theres also a Maggy + Scarf Haxorus increase and so if scizor dies, all haxorus has to do is spam outrage and every one of your mons is one hit.

Much like my reflections team, you have to rely on momentum however my team had the speed to make up for a lot of my weaknesses and that's something I think your team lacks. I think taking out Deo, and one more mon (whichever has done the least for you, and honestly id say scizor or rotom) and putting in two staple defensive mons should make this team a hell of a lot better.

Other then that, good job at getting #1 bud.
  6. Yo this team can't do shit to LO Starmie in rain.
  7. Mynism

Mynism

its a very nice team ! THIS IS HOW WE PLAY MONS FOLKS
  8. Bruno Magno

Bruno Magno

A more offensive EV spread (maybe 252 Atk 252 HP, but there's something better), and if you want Expert Belt / Life Orb as item
  9. Motagua

Motagua El Ciclón Azul

@Stone Cold: Sun teams are somewhat troublesome, but they are not real threats. The only time I struggled against one, was vs toshimelonhead. He used Venusaur & Sawsbuck + Gastrodon on the same team and I barely won the match by a scrap.

SubHydreigon was not really a threat to me. It doesnt have a moment to set-up and if it tries something, most probably im staying to take the most damage possible from it (Ex: Rotom-w´s Hydro Pump). Also I pretty much switch back to Ape since they will use Fire Blast predicting Scizor.

CB Terrakion is already in the counters list.

Spikes + SR is a most on HO teams. Hazard damage puts a lot of pressure on the oponent switching out his pokemons only to rack up the damage. Defensive is not really my style, but thank you for the suggestions :).

@Grind Pantera: Starmie cant touch me, lol. If it switches into Ape, it is eating a super-effective U-turn. Modest Rotom-w outspeeds him and KOs with Volt Switch. Scizor can live a Rain-boosted Hydro Pump from Starmie and KO with U-turn. With MS active, Dragonite can set up. Gengar blocks his Rapid Spin.

@Bruno Magno: Thanks pal, but I am staying with Pocket´s suggestion :].
  10. Stone_Cold

Stone_Cold
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

When I run, HO I almost never run spikes. Spikes takes too long to set up and ruins the momentum. HO is getting quick kills and quick damage fast and when teams pack a spinner 90% of the time, it's just a waste.

Also, SubHydreigon has a few opportunities to set up, believe me lol. But take it as you will.
  11. New World Order

New World Order Licks Toads
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Too lazy to do a full rate, you've gotten more than sufficient help from other raters. A few things to consider though. Deoxys-D plays differently from Deoxys-S in that it can't guarantee that many layers before going down, Recover>Magic Coat so you can get up SR+a layer of Spikes or whatever, then come back later in the game to get the rest of your layers. SubDD Gyarados can walk all over your Rotom-W set, and your only way to stop it is Taunt from Deoxys-D, who may be gone by then considering how SubDD Gyara comes out late game. T-bolt>HP Ice to patch up that problem. Take BKC's Scarfape suggestion to deal with Sun, but run HP Ice instead of Stone Edge for the Dragons. Flare Blitz is plenty powerful for Volcarona, and even if not, Dragonite can clean up the pieces.
  12. Danilo

Danilo
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Team is obviously really good, so not much to say.
    Echoing what Stone_Cold mentioned, I don't like running Spikes on HO teams now that Deoxys-S is gone. A team like this needs momentum to thrive, and Stealth Rock is really the only thing that is needed on a team like this. I've been running a similar team and I've found that Lead Azelf works much better than Deoxys. An EV spread of 252 HP/ 252 SPE 4 SPA with a Timid nature and the moves Stealth Rock, U-turn, Taunt, and Fire Blast. I agree with ShakeItUp's suggestion on running a Expert Belt Rotom-W, as Tentacruel can prove problematic. Personally, I like to run a ChestoRest Rotom-W as you still get to bluff a Choice Scarf and hit Tentacruel, but you also get some added longevity.
  13. Dragontongue195040

Dragontongue195040

Great team. Looks like it can really beat some shit up. I just have one thing to say: be wary of intimidate DD gyarados in the rain. It seems as if rotom w is your only sure counter to this thing, so i urge you to be careful when spamming hydro pump on your rotom. I would suggest switching rotom's scarf with life orb; it's natural bulk will help you sponge a few hits. You might also want to include grass knot on your infernape to nail those pesky bulky waters like jellicent and gastrodon. Hope this helps.
  14. Spaniard

Spaniard

This team is great. I've tested it intensely and works wonders. However I've found it to have serious problems against rain stall, specially those with tentacruel.

I used it against Mcmeghan on ST8 and the team simply chocked. It was helpless.

Anyway, I still think the team is awesome.
  15. Motagua

Motagua El Ciclón Azul

@ShakeItUp: Whoops! Didnt saw your comment bro! It´s been a long time and we should talke someday. Against rain-stall teams I tend to play very aggresively, (I played against a lot of them in 1300-1400s). I usually get rid early of Rotom-w´s Scarf and predict their Scalds. Also Disabling Tentacruel´s Rapid Spin or Scald has been a real help to force them out and rack up the damage, since it is very easy to me to get all layers against rain stall. Expert Belt sounds was really fun to test bro, but it didnt get the desired results I wanted.

@eliteoctoomba195040: Yea, I pretty much keep that in mind when Gyarados is on the foe´s team. I tend to take the Scarf from Rotom-w early when I see a Gyarados and it stills counter him. Without the Scarf, +1 Gyarados has no chance to set up a Substitute again on the switch-out leaving him prone to Dragonite´s Extremespeed or Outrage. Also im very careful when using other moves.

@Sir: Deoxys-D isnt that slow, base 90 Speed is a very moderate stat in OU. Lead Azelf sounds interesting, maybe I will test him. Just to add, Spikes had been a real life-saver against stall and rain-stall where I need to rack the damage and prevent at all cost a Rapid-spin.

@New World Order: All of your suggestions sounds really interesting! I dont agree with using Recover instead of Magic Coat because it helps against faster Taunters and it really improved the team! I already tested ScarfApe + EB Rotom-w and they get swept lategame by DD Dragonite. Neverlesss with the changes on the team they deserve another test-run :]. Thank you lots for it :D.
  16. Motagua

Motagua El Ciclón Azul

Hey guys! My apologies for those that wanted to use the team and probably had to change some stuff after the RMT update. The PO Exportable Text was updated with the RMT changes. Also if you havent noticed yet, please be sure to check :).

I will be testing again BKC´s suggestions of Scarf Ape + EB Rotom-w considering most people enforced it on the RMT! Also I will be testing some new teams. Thanks everyone for their comments, opinions and suggestions :]
  17. NahimC

NahimC

Nice team :D i really like it!
  18. UncleHypno

UncleHypno

Sorry for my English. I'm not English.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)