Wrecking Ball

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi all, and welcome to my drunk RMT, for a team that I made while drunk, and laddered with while drunk, and excuse any grammar errors, as I'm drunk :]. This team went 12-0 on the ladder and had an ACRE of 2300 all while I was drunk, but I lost to some shitty random, and PS blows dick so I dropped to like 1700 ACRE, all while my deviation was above 200, lmao. Anyways, this team beat some good players (like soulgazer when I was drunk, or Psych017c while I was sober ;) ). So I thought it would be cool to do my last gen 5 rmt on this.

The Team:

+

So I came up with this team concept while drunk and listening to Miley Cyrus's hit single Wrecking Ball. I thought it would be fun to make a team that literally hit like a wrecking ball, and allowed very few switch-ins for the opposite team. The epitome of a Wrecking Ball in RU is CB Druddigon so he was a clear first choice for my starting point.

I also realized at this point that I would need one non-choiced mon to set up SR for the team, while still fitting the theme of a Wrecking Ball. Mesprit seemed just like the pokemon for the job with good mixed coverage, SR, and decent defensive synergy with the rest of my team.

Now that I had a physical wrecking ball, I really needed a special wrecking ball that resisted Ice, while also being bulky enough to take some hits. I decided to add probably the most underrated specs user in all of RU, Lanturn (who also happens to be my second favorite mon of all time n_n).

Although Lanturn is pretty cool as a specs user, base 76 special attack hardly qualifies it as a "Wrecking Ball", I definitely needed something to break down special walls, while allowing Druddigon to spam his CB outrage as much as possible. That is wear my favorite pokemon to use, ever, comes into play, Magneton is a wonderful mon that hits like a magnetic truck with 120 base SpA.

Well at this point, I need something to outspeed some common meta game threats, as well as something that still hits like a fucking tank. A fiery boar comes to mind, as it is the ultimate glue mon.

My team still needs something faster than Accelgor, who can outspeed my whole team rn, and has super effective coverage on everything barring Druddigon. The other danger of having a team that is mostly choiced is losing flat out to stall, so I wanted to prevent that. I wanted all of this while completing my FWG core, so the best scarf user in the tier came to mind, Rotom-C!

In Depth shit:

Druddigon @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Sleep Talk

This set is amazing af, as it literally destroys all of the things that are in RU atm. I chose Drud as my sleep talk user, as it is mandatory in RU, and druddion kills all of the things that use sleep inducing moves in RU (Amoonguss, Roselia, Smeargle). Druddigon is also super cool for being able to switch into all of the FWG cores that populate the RU environment, and destroy them with a STAB 120 BP move off of a 120 base attack stat, backed by choice band. Speed EVs are to super creep standard drud, who can die in a fucking hole if they out creep me.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

This is sort of a custom set I made while intoxicated, and it is probably one of the best sets that Mesprit can run. Its base 105 special attack, makes it so it is not outclassed by Uxie, who is usually seen providing rocks for teams. I went with Ice Beam over u-turn or healing wish, as it allows me to beat Druddigon who speed creep harder than both my own Drud, and Lanturn, as well as shit like Tangrowth pr Steelix who see psyshock and t-bolt, and thinks it has a free switch in to Mesprit.

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Why people don't use this set more often is crazy to me, Lanturn manages to do all the shit it needs to do defensively (hint check Moltres) while still wrecking shit that thinks it gets a free switch in with volt switch to the appropriate counter. Lanturn also lures in ground types, and finishes them of with Hydro pump, allowing my volt switch spam to function. Many things in the tier aim for min speed lanturn, so the 136 speed EVs fuck over offensive Tangrowth and Druddigon that aim for that bench mark. The additional 16 speed EVs over the smogon standard are for 16 EV Qwilfish, allowing Lanturn to kill it before it can set up t-spikes or do w/e it is that fish does.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Specs Magneton has a really nice place on this team. It traps and severely weakens all opposing steel types with either HP Fire or T-Bolt, allowing Drudd to spam outrage like some sort of massive pendulum (like a spherical ball that weighs a lot on a chain?). It also is part of my triple electric core that serves to wear down the opp with volt switch.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash

This is standard choice scarf Emboar, aka ultimate gluemon, with Head Smash over sleep talk, as I have Druddigon to absorb sleep. Tbh I could probs change Head Smash to Sleep Talk and put Earthquake on Drudd for Aggron, but both set ups work, and Head Smash gives me decent neutral coverage, easing prediction a little bit. Emboar is part of my beautiful FWG wrecking ball core, that can take apart opposing teams with it's good bulk and smart switching.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Leaf Storm

Standard CS Rotom-C rounds out my team, as it allows me to actually outspeed the entire unboosted meta (unlike CS Emboar). It is also a part of my triple electric core, while having a ground immunity to take care of the ground attacks aimed at Lanturn, Emboar, and Magneton. Leaf Storm also destroys lured in ground types allowing me to spam volt switch more freely, gaining momentum for my team. Trick is there to fuck over stall teams, and works p well actually. This is another glue mon that holds together my team.

Lolkomori - You are probs my best friend on Smogon, thanks for being a cool dude, and a really shitty team builder, it inspires me to build for you ;).

Soulgazer - If lolko isn't my best friend, you are, I think you are really funny and cool even though you are a total (BAN ME PLEASE). Go fuck yourself, <3 you. Also your accent is really sexy.

SilentVerse - You are undoubtedly my favorite person in #rarelyused, you were always really nice to me, even when I didn't really know anyone. You rock win LC open for me imo.

Molk - thanks for putting up with my shit, even though I make fun of you all the time, you know you are my bro ;)

Silvershadow234 - You are actually a shit user, but its okay, I forgive you. I like your sass, and your avatar other than that you are pretty meh ;) (jk ily).

Raseri - You are a really cool dude, and I really like talking to you on #neverused, thanks for being cool and shit :).

Treecko - You are my NU boyfriend, what else can I say, also I would sex you too baby ;).

Hot N Cold - Please don't quit mons, if treecko is my NU boyfriend, you are my NU lover, I will always enjoy talking to you with your broken English, which make you insanely cute.

Lasagne21 - You are a douche, but you are in #slutpower, so I'll let it slide.

Nozzle - same as above

Brammi - Come in #slutpower again, we miss you! I hope to see you around, as you are a super cool dude!

Wepwnemon - I have always enjoyed talking to you on #rarelyused, to bad you got wrecked by me in RU BOTW ;).

ebeast TropiOUs Imanalt Fusxfaranto - You are all total fucks, but mostly just Imanalt, I enjoy talking to the rest of you.

Ashley11 - you haven't been on in forever ;-; but you were my first friend on smogon. Please come back and let me know you are alive and okay!

tennisace - you are a bro.

cbt - thanks for not giving me a shout out in your tourney win, is fine though, you think I am a shit user ;)

Psychotic - you always want to battle me or borrow my teams even though you are way better than me, lmao, you are a cool user imo.

Nails - is red panda :}

@ everyone I missed, sorry Ily, I am just drunk

Druddigon @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Sleep Talk

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Leaf Storm

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash

Last edited:

ss234

bop.
this is a p cool team even tho its made by such a sucky user. Meybe try mixed pig > scarf tho? You still do just as well vs. esca, and you break druddigon much more effectively. Also destroys stall, which this team can struggle with a bit i.e. mola + rose and no tspikes absorber. Means you suffer more against durant, but you still check and rotom-c does as well. Not like you let it in for free anyway. Also zodiac the kid you are my hero.

hey, atomicllamas, cool team n_n Choice spam is really cool in RU, and personally I really enjoy Specs Lanturn on such a build. Of course, there are some inherent issues involved with such a build, but they can be circumvented. I'm not a huge fan of this team's match-up with Smeargle offense; since your sleep absorber is slow, you're immediately dropped into a 50-50 where your best-case scenario involves allowing your opponent to get off a Spore, a layer, and switch advantage, which can be sufficient for losing out on a ton of offensive momentum (unless you have insane amounts of teams advantage :x). Protect users are sorta inherently problematic for choice teams, but Protect Lanturn in particular looks completely awful. It can't get worn down sufficiently, since Volt Absorb+a lack of Spikes support means it has a lot of leg room (ie.aggressive double switching to pressure it is "high risk, low reward"), and it can "play around" Rotom-C via Protect. Drudd can come in and duke something, but it risks a Scald burn in doing so, which is meh.

Anywho, one potential change I could suggest to mitigate these issues would be ChestoRest Rotom-C > your current set. Against Smeargle offense, this change allows your team a minimum-risk "lead match-up" against Smeargle, outpacing and 2HKOing without any risk of Spore. Moreover, this set can allow you to effectively feign a Choice set, giving your team a pretty solid Lanturn bait (as long as you don't reveal your set preemptively :> ), and generally paving the way for Volt Switch spam. When neither are pertinent, the ability to more safely switch into bulky Waters and whatnot doesn't hurt either. Of course, this makes your team notably slower, but that's fixable.

I'm not a big fan of Emboar in that slot tbh; ultimate gluemon or not, it really doesn't accomplish much beyond making Sceptile / Durant a bit easier to deal with, which can be accomplished through other means imo. Basically, I'd experiment with some alternative revenge-killers. My suggestion, if you want to take it, would be to consider Scarf Ditto in that slot; Scarf Ditto works very nicely as a revenge-killer on choice-heavy teams such as this, because it not only can usually revenge-kill most targets fairly comfortably, but it also deters the opponent from setting up on favorable choice locks your team falls into, since most sweepers can't pull through with a back-rowed Ditto. Of course, this means that your team can play a little more aggressively with your choice 'mons, which is chill as well.

As for minor things, Idk how important that speed is on Lanturn, considering every Qwilfish in the universe is speed creeping .-. I'd lean towards simply improving upon its bulk (something to the effect of 160 HP / 104 Def / 160 SpA / 84 SpD, which is buffering it pretty nicely for Entei / Oma / Slowking iirc), and speed creeping from there as seen fit.

Rotom-C @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Volt Switch | Rest | Leaf Storm | Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice

Ditto @ Choice Scarf | Imposter
Relaxed | 252 HP / 252 Def | 30 Atk / 30 Def (IV'ed for HP Ice, assurance for Sceptile among other things)
Transform

Anywho, yeah, that's all I have to say. Bad at ending these things :>

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hey, atomicllamas, cool team n_n Choice spam is really cool in RU, and personally I really enjoy Specs Lanturn on such a build. Of course, there are some inherent issues involved with such a build, but they can be circumvented. I'm not a huge fan of this team's match-up with Smeargle offense; since your sleep absorber is slow, you're immediately dropped into a 50-50 where your best-case scenario involves allowing your opponent to get off a Spore, a layer, and switch advantage, which can be sufficient for losing out on a ton of offensive momentum (unless you have insane amounts of teams advantage :x). Protect users are sorta inherently problematic for choice teams, but Protect Lanturn in particular looks completely awful. It can't get worn down sufficiently, since Volt Absorb+a lack of Spikes support means it has a lot of leg room (ie.aggressive double switching to pressure it is "high risk, low reward"), and it can "play around" Rotom-C via Protect. Drudd can come in and duke something, but it risks a Scald burn in doing so, which is meh.

Anywho, one potential change I could suggest to mitigate these issues would be ChestoRest Rotom-C > your current set. Against Smeargle offense, this change allows your team a minimum-risk "lead match-up" against Smeargle, outpacing and 2HKOing without any risk of Spore. Moreover, this set can allow you to effectively feign a Choice set, giving your team a pretty solid Lanturn bait (as long as you don't reveal your set preemptively :> ), and generally paving the way for Volt Switch spam. When neither are pertinent, the ability to more safely switch into bulky Waters and whatnot doesn't hurt either. Of course, this makes your team notably slower, but that's fixable.

I'm not a big fan of Emboar in that slot tbh; ultimate gluemon or not, it really doesn't accomplish much beyond making Sceptile / Durant a bit easier to deal with, which can be accomplished through other means imo. Basically, I'd experiment with some alternative revenge-killers. My suggestion, if you want to take it, would be to consider Scarf Ditto in that slot; Scarf Ditto works very nicely as a revenge-killer on choice-heavy teams such as this, because it not only can usually revenge-kill most targets fairly comfortably, but it also deters the opponent from setting up on favorable choice locks your team falls into, since most sweepers can't pull through with a back-rowed Ditto. Of course, this means that your team can play a little more aggressively with your choice 'mons, which is chill as well.

As for minor things, Idk how important that speed is on Lanturn, considering every Qwilfish in the universe is speed creeping .-. I'd lean towards simply improving upon its bulk (something to the effect of 160 HP / 104 Def / 160 SpA / 84 SpD, which is buffering it pretty nicely for Entei / Oma / Slowking iirc), and speed creeping from there as seen fit.

Rotom-C @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Volt Switch | Rest | Leaf Storm | Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice

Ditto @ Choice Scarf | Imposter
Relaxed | 252 HP / 252 Def | 30 Atk / 30 Def (IV'ed for HP Ice, assurance for Sceptile among other things)
Transform

Anywho, yeah, that's all I have to say. Bad at ending these things :>
Yeah, thanks for the comment! I had noticed a problem with Smeargle leads on this team, and I had actually considered running sleep talk on Emboar over Drudd, which probably would have been better in the first place. I am actually pretty sure I would cry if I saw protect Lanturn (good thing only Nails would ever use a protect Lanturn set), I will definitely make the change for Rotom-C. Ditto is an interesting suggestion, which I will definitely give a shot, I am concerned about Durant at this point though, as it would outspeed everything (bar ditto) and be very threatening to my team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)