WSC 21

RODAN

Banned deucer.
~*~The Smogon Weekly SpritingContest~*~

Because random symbols can make anything look better

Officially approved by Firestorm and Doomsday

Banner by Dragonknight!

Welcome one, welcome all to the one and only Smogon WSC! A Spiritng Contest (And Possibly an Art Contest if we can be bothered to make one) for all you aspiring digital artists to compete and improve your abilities.
Week 18

This Week's Theme: Cacturne Week

Description: you can
a) retype cacturne
b) use him as a base in a fusion
c) give him an evolution
(you only have to do one)

Credit goes to Ninjabait - in effect as of Week 5:

General Rules

1. All Smogon Forum Rules Apply.

2. You're not allowed to ask when the next contest will be out, or when the next poll will be up.

3. If your entry is turned down, no whining, it broke the rules, get over it.

4. Stealing artwork is prohibited. If you are found to be stealing, you will be disqualified and banned from the current WSC contest, banned for five WSCs after two instances, and permanetly banned after three instances.

5. Have a question, or want to suggest a rule or theme? Feel free to post in the current WSC or PM a judge about it.

6. You are not allowed to reserve spots. There is not a limited amount of entries, and this just clogs up the thread with postcount++ posts, which are spam, if you haven't figured.

7. This isn't a comment thread. Quoting a sprite just to say that it looks good and contributing nothing to the topic, this is counted as spam. Constructive Criticism is exceptable, however.

8. If you have a problem, take it to PM. We don't want you spamming up the topic.

9. Please don't disrupt this thread (i.e. asking stupid questions repeatedly, trolling, etc). Repeated offenses can get you temporary bans from the WSC.

Pariticipation Rules

1. All entries must fit the theme. The Theme will be specified at the top of the first post.

2. All entries should fit the size restraints. A DPPHGSS styled sprite is 80x80, a GSCRSEFRLG styled sprite is 64x64, and a RBYG styled sprite is 54x54.

3. We'd prefer if your entry has a transparent background. It is still acceptable for a white background, though, it's just not preferred. If you want to make a sprite transparent, use the programs Paint.NET, Graphics Gale, GIMP, www.iaza.com, or Adobe Photoshop. MS Paint cannot make something transparent.

4. All entries should be saved as a .png for not animated weeks, and a .gif for animated weeks. .bmp and .jpg/.jpeg distort the qualit of the image, and program exclusive files cannot be uploaded to Photobucket, Imageshack, or Tinypic.

5. As a note about editing your entries: Editing is allowed, but only in small doses, such as small touch-ups to the outline, changing the colors, or shading fixes are acceptable. Completely changing your entry is not allowed.

Judge and Voting Rules and Notes

1. If you want to be a judge, just ask - simple enough. You will become a judge if all the other judges decide so, and/or if a judge doesn't mind subbing out.

2. Judges are allowed to enter the contests, but during judging, they are not allowed to nominate themselves for a poll spot, most humorous, or most original.

3. You are not allowed to vote for yourself on the poll. Anyone caught doing this will have their entry for the poll revoked, and the next runner up in the voting to take their place.

The Current Roster of Judges is:
Igor, XandZero2, Dhjona, Fuzzberry, Dogfish44 and AndroidEdd

Deadline

The deadline is February 2, 2010 at 4:30PM EST. You have seven (7) days to get your entry in. After the deadline, judges will pick finalists, and a poll will be started over the course of 3 days to decide the winner.

Prizes

-An inclusion in the Hall of Fame, and after 1, 2, 3, or 4 wins, you will get a medal, or trophy

My entry:

b) use him as a base in a fusion

Pokemons used:
Jirachi, Bellossom, Meganium, Mewtwo, Cacturne, Banette.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Wild Mr.Mime appeared! :P

I also propose a change of policy. Having guest judged for two weeks I realised that some sprites that made the list of finalists would have perfectly suited most humorous or original but were unlikely to win. Thus I propose that Most Humorous and Most Original are chosen after the winner has been decided via a poll, and can be chosen from the original pool of sprites. There should be no double awards though :P

Please take this into consideration,
~Alch

Wild Mr.Mime appeared! :P

I also propose a change of policy. Having guest judged for two weeks I realised that some sprites that made the list of finalists would have perfectly suited most humorous or original but were unlikely to win. Thus I propose that Most Humorous and Most Original are chosen after the winner has been decided via a poll, and can be chosen from the original pool of sprites. There should be no double awards though :P

Please take this into consideration,
~Alch
Sorry, why are you asking to decide Most Humorous and Most Original after the poll? I haven't quite grasped your reasoning but if you clear it up I'll happily consider it.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Sorry, why are you asking to decide Most Humorous and Most Original after the poll? I haven't quite grasped your reasoning but if you clear it up I'll happily consider it.
I think he means that because a sprite is in the Top 5, it cannot be selected for Most Original/Humorous, and he has seen some sprites in the Top 5 that would have been very good for most original/humourous but they will not do well in the poll. So instead of coming 4th or 5th they should get the Honorable Mention :P hope that helps and hope i got it right XD

I think he means that because a sprite is in the Top 5, it cannot be selected for Most Original/Humorous, and he has seen some sprites in the Top 5 that would have been very good for most original/humourous but they will not do well in the poll. So instead of coming 4th or 5th they should get the Honorable Mention :P hope that helps and hope i got it right XD
That's strange, because it CAN be selected for Most Original/Most Humorous; ANY sprite can because when they vote the judges don't even know who the finalists will be yet...

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
That's strange, because it CAN be selected for Most Original/Most Humorous; ANY sprite can because when they vote the judges don't even know who the finalists will be yet...
Most original - Alchemator

This is a very neat idea for the mass fusion by Alchemator. Since XandZero2 was in the Top 5 and couldn't be nominated for most original we chose Alchemator!

Congratulations!
[/code]
I think people were mislead by this...

Hmm I guess I could try and edit it and make it just those 10 pixels smaller :P

EDIT:

There we go! A rock retype of a Cacturne 80x80 and my first ever WSC entry.

Touched up his head and arms a little bit.

Alchemator

Skymin Flower is correct. When I judged those two (or was it three, I don't know) weeks there were some sprites that I put through to the final which would have definitely suited Most Humorous/Original but I couldn't nominate them because of their obvious finalist status (on those weeks there was a relatively clear cut with finalist potential).

If it can, so be it but make it clearer to those judging :P

I think people were mislead by this...
I wasn't in charge of judging at the time. Since I have been, I changed the rules so it was allowed.

All the judging rules can be seen here... http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64979

Also, there is no "clear cut with finalist potential". Nobody is a finalist until they are, and by then everyone has voted on Most Original/Most Humorous. So for starters, it's allowed anyway, but even more than that; holding back voting on someone for Most Original/Most Humorous because you assume they're going to be a finalist doesn't really make sense.

Alchemator

Ah I wasn't at the point of using this system.

Still, choosing the Most Humorous/Original afterwards would still probably help given how unpredictable the poll can be. I see no disadvantages to doing it this way.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
hi, can we discuss this in pm

or in alchemators case over irc, I do not want the thread being cluttered

steffan, I don't really think you can use a sprite you already used before for another competition

edit;

my entry:

If cacturn gets a sunstone on his hands he evolves in this

might update it though​

Ah I wasn't at the point of using this system.

Still, choosing the Most Humorous/Original afterwards would still probably help given how unpredictable the poll can be. I see no disadvantages to doing it this way.
Help with what?

The main disadvantage is another whole PM for each judge to send. That's twice the effort and pressure for the judges. I already have to chase up two more judges this week since two of them haven't sent in nominations; I gather it's because they weren't expecting to judge Week 20 since the list in the OP wasn't updated since Week 19.

Anyway, I'm still confused as to what you're actually reasoning xD

@noobiess: That is possibly the greatest sprite I have seen in a while. I am giving it major props for not only being awesome but adorable as well.

Anyway, I've been away for a while but I think I'm going to try my hand at this latest contest. (I haven't been around since like... 8, so I have some catching up to do.) Expect my entry in a day or two.

Also, again the judges list hasn't been updated. This week it's...

XandZero2, Dhjona, Fuzzberry, AndroidEdd, Mastadi, Othfx

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Another MASTERPEICE in the pikadex. Ignore the impaled nintendo spriters heads on the wall.

Lousy colour scheme.

Action Replay hates me. Apparently my holy grail attempt at allowing all gens to communicate with each other failed with 3 corrupted games and my Diamond only being able to show this guy while crashing uopn my every attempt to leave Route 228.

Bird/Normal Cacturne.

-Torterrno.-Inferno.-Ferailgatno.-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)