1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

WSC Megathread IV ~ Challenges #5 and #6 underway!

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by RitterCat, Apr 25, 2012.

1. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Okay this is now in a challenge format. What does that mean, you ask? It means that no longer will there be polls and strict week timelines, but challenges will go up at the host's pleasure. Points will now be awarded to really good sprites and these points will carry over in an overall tally to give eventual prizes!

While many of the rules in the old OP (hidden below) do not apply as they relate to the old format, the ones that can still apply to THIS format (you can work it out) still apply! So no stealing, no spamming, none of that nonsense.

HAVE FUN!

OLD OP (open)
    Smogon Weekly Spriting Contest ~ WSC
    [​IMG]
    Cohosted by RitterCat and RODAN
    Banner by jumpluff

This will be the NEW thread in which spriting contests occur every week. RODAN will be taking the odd-numbered weeks, whereas I will be taking the even-numbered weeks. Note that polling will occur in a separate thread.

Rules

General Rules

1. All Smogon Forum Rules Apply.

2. If your entry is turned down, do not complain and revise your entry.

3. Stealing artwork is prohibited. If you are found to be stealing, you will be disqualified and banned from the current WSC contest, banned for five WSCs after two instances, and permanently banned after three instances.

4. Have a question, or want to suggest a rule or theme? Feel free to PM/VM/IRC RitterCat or RODAN about it.

5. You are not allowed to reserve spots. This is considered spam.

6. This isn't a comment thread. Quoting a sprite just to say that it looks good and contributing nothing to the topic, this is counted as spam. Constructive Criticism is acceptable, however.

Participation Rules

1. All entries must fit the theme. The theme will be specified at the top of the first post.

2. All entries should fit the size restraints. A BW styled sprite is 96x96, a DPPHGSS styled sprite is 80x80, a GSCRSEFRLG styled sprite is 64x64, and a RBYG styled sprite is 54x54. Unless stated, a contest will be in a BW format. This does not restrict your choice of sprite to ones from Pokémon Black and White, and any can be used if you feel you wish to. Animated Sprites will not be required unless stated.

3. Your sprite must be transparent and in a 96x96 canvas. If you want to make a sprite transparent, use the programs Paint.NET, Graphics Gale, GIMP, www.iaza.com, or Adobe Photoshop. MS Paint cannot make something transparent.

4. All entries should be saved as a .png for not animated weeks, and a .gif for animated weeks. .bmp and .jpg/.jpeg distort the qualit of the image, and program exclusive files cannot be uploaded to Photobucket, Imageshack, or Tinypic.

5. As a note about editing your entries: Editing is allowed, but only in small doses, such as small touch-ups to the outline, changing the colors, or shading fixes are acceptable. Completely changing your entry is not allowed.

Judging

Once all sprites are submitted, and the week is closed, sprites go through the judging. Out of all the sprites submitted, the top 5 sprites are sent to the polls, and of those 5, a Winner is chosen via said poll. Judging goes by:
    and the 5 spriters with the highest scores out of 15 go to the polls. Judging is executed via PM, so no players see or mess with the judging and scores. Once a poll is set up, ANY and ALL sprites of that week can be nominated for "Most Original" and "Most Humorous".

Judges
    RitterCat
    RODAN
    Crux
    Poppy
  2. RitterCat

RitterCat

OFFICIAL WSC POINTS TALLY

OLD HALL OF FAME (open)
    WSC Hall of Fame​

Previous Halls of Fame can be found in Megathreads 1, 2, and 3

Code:
    [SIZE=6][B]Week 1 - BACK IN ACTION[/B][/SIZE]
    [I]create a backsprite[/I]

[B]Winner:[/B] DarkOrbX  - [IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k602/DarkOrbX/Timburr-1.png[/IMG]
    [I]In a strong first showing, newcomer DarkOrbX pleased the - admittedly small - crowds with his new Timburr backsprite[/I].

[B]Most Original:[/B] Ice-Cold Claws - [IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb366/IC-Claws/iaza12997370268700.png[/IMG]
    [I]To be honest, a backsprite of a fakemon is about as original as you can get; veteran Ice-Cold Claws definitely deserved this one.[/I]

[B]Most Humurous:[/B] DarkOrbX - [IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k602/DarkOrbX/Timburr-1.png[/IMG]
    [I]And to couple with his win in Week 1 DarkOrbX also took out Most Humurous![/I]

[SIZE=3][B][SIZE=6]Week 2 - Legendary![/SIZE]
    [/B][/SIZE][I]Contestants this week were charged with making a new legendary Pokemon out of only first-stage Pokemon!

[/I][B]Winner:[/B] Layell - [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/a0w9rm.png[/IMG]
    [I]Layell enters into the competition and takes the win with his different take on the theme of "legendary Pokemon", making a cute one! This is adorable n_n[/I]

[B]Most Original:[/B] Layell - [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/a0w9rm.png[/IMG]
    [I]And Layell takes out Most Original as well with his different take on the theme

[/I] 
    [B]Most Humurous:[/B] DarkOrbX AND Josia Richter - [IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k602/DarkOrbX/koffburtwig.png[/IMG] AND [IMG]http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg594/philipjosiarichter/spritingfusion.png[/IMG]
    [I]These two mishmashes of babies are at the same time funny and REALLY WEIRD; but really, who can resist laughing at a koffingdrilburturtwiggligar or a snubbulwoopergastly?

[/I][SIZE=3][B][SIZE=6]Week 3 - WHEAT IS THIS???[/SIZE]
    [/B][/SIZE][I]This week RODAN charged our contestants to make a sprite of bread

[/I][B]Winner:[/B] Layell - [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/vo74ec.png[/IMG]
    [I]Layell wins again with his Dugtoaster. While not his idea originally, he execution is marvellous and totally deserves first place after a close fight with user elcheeso[/I]

[B]Most Original:[/B] Elcheeso - [IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk23/elcheeso/Pokemon%20sprites/bulbamuffin-1.png[/IMG][I]
    Although narrowly losing to Layell for the title of Week 3 winner, elcheeso's adorable bulbamuffin takes out most original with its excellent idea of making bulbasaur's bud a chocolate muffin! It also moves away from the entries focusing on bread and toast, and provided voters with something fresh
    [/I] 
    [B]Most Humurous:[/B] Layell - [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/vo74ec.png[/IMG]
    [I]Layell again wins two awards, but this time first place and most humurous instead of first place and most original. What will it be next week? Most Original AND Most Humurous? All three??? We must wait and see[/I]

3. RODAN

RODAN Literally A Rodank
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor

I AM RODAN

HERE WITH WEEK 1

theme~: BACK IN ACTION

- make a backsprite!
  4. DarkOrbX

DarkOrbX

Well, here's my entry. I didn't really know how this thread worked, so I just decided to try something and go with it. Plus I've never been to good at backsprites. For mine I decided to revamp Timburr's backsprite. I actually think it looks kind of funny.

[​IMG]
  5. Doran Dragon

Doran Dragon

thats quite general. i can make a back sprite for a fakemon too? or is it limited to actual pokemon?
  6. RODAN

RODAN Literally A Rodank

you can make it for whatever

just a backsprite
  7. DarkOrbX

DarkOrbX

I made some fixes in shading. Here's the improved Timburr:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just to add this is my FINAL submission.
  8. Furosuto

Furosuto

[​IMG]

Anyways, a heracross with a scratched choice band, and scratched markings on his back. I think he looks pretty spiffed up for the contest!
  9. Ice-cold Claws

Ice-cold Claws

[​IMG]
    Nothing says "action" like a scarecrow off his pole!
    Especially when he has his back turned on you.
    [​IMG]
    'Tis Final Submission.

More submissions! MORE!!!
  10. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

This is back?
    Well, I'm not particularly good at spriting, so I won't enter, but...
    I'm glad it's returned.
  11. RitterCat

RitterCat

You have about a day left so there is still plenty of time to enter!
  12. RitterCat

RitterCat

Closing the week here. We only had three entries so no need for judging, the poll will be up tomorrow probably.
    Hopefully there can be more activity this week! This is a theme based off one entered by user Frost.

Week 2 ~ Legendary!
    Make a badass new legendary out of only first stage Pokemon.

Be creative, and have fun!
  13. DarkOrbX

DarkOrbX

Can I use parts from other legendaries in my entry?

EDIT:I don't know about this yet, but here's an example of what I meant. This would be my Koffing legendary.

[​IMG]
  14. RitterCat

RitterCat

Maybe I should have been clearer, you can only use first stage Pokemon in your fusion
    Although that Koffing is really cool :3
  15. DarkOrbX

DarkOrbX

(Removed because I don't understand simple English)
  16. RitterCat

RitterCat

Sorry DarkOrbX, but Roselia is not a first-stage Pokemon (Budew!) and Pokemon that don't evolve don't count as first-stage Pokemon.
    I really need to be clearer.
  17. DarkOrbX

DarkOrbX

Ok, ok. Third time is the charm. Here is my entry. There should be NO issues concerning which Pokemon I put into the mix, going back to Koffing again as a base.

[​IMG]

Well, I apologize to Ritter for all of the trouble, you were very clear the first time. It was confusion on my end which led to the misunderstandings.

This thing is so useless that every one of them was hunted down and killed. There's only one left. Making it... Legendary.

Well for this one... I dub thee Koffburtwig!
  18. Furosuto

Furosuto

Aw, sweet. You used my idea! I'll edit in my submission later. When is the due date?
  19. Josia Richter

Josia Richter

this is what i made might change the coloring if i have time
    [​IMG]
    pokemon used :
    snubbul
    wobat
    gahstly
  20. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

[​IMG]

Hi don't mind me, cute legendaries are the way to go.

Used List:
    Snivy
    Vulplix
    Surskit
    Magby
    Growlith
    Pichu
    Larvesta
    Mienfoo
  21. Solstice

Solstice

Throwing my hat into the ring for this one.

[​IMG]

Used:
    Rhyhorn
    Onix
    Nosepass (Back Sprite)
    Tangela

Good luck to all the participants.
  22. RODAN

RODAN Literally A Rodank

Week 3: WHEAT IS THIS???

make a sprite that looks like its made of bread
  23. DarkOrbX

DarkOrbX

Oh Koffing, why are you so useful in all of these categories?

Anyway, here's my entry. I hope that it's... bread enough.

[​IMG]
  24. Ice-cold Claws

Ice-cold Claws

Hey Ritter/Rodan? I have a few suggestions.
    I don't mean to be rude/intrusive, but I'm not waiting for Review Week to say this, because it concerns this week, and every week.

Can we at least have a specific due date/time for the weeks? And if possible, sort of a 24-hour warning like in Week 1?
    Because I wanted to finish up my Legendary (see below) today, but then a new week suddenly pops out.
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    (WIP) Ponyta, Magnemite, Shinx, Scyther, Tepig, Shieldon, Riolu.
    Not that this matters now.

Many thanks.

Now to make something bread-y (?)
  25. RitterCat

RitterCat

Sure ICC, that's a great idea. Also I don't think review weeks are necessary: if you have concerns, then just post them here or VM/PM me or Rodan, and that way we can have more spriting!
    Also I haven't put up the poll yet so I'll enter your entry :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)