Xatu (Dual Screens) [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hope I dont need to post in UU analyses index if I'm posting individual sets, because I didn't

If anyone has a better EV spread, let me know

The original "flying totem pole thing"

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Roost
move 4: U-Turn
item: Light Clay
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 164 SpD / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Faces competition from Mew, Cresselia and lake guardians
- Magic Bounce sets it apart from other dual screeners
- Cannot be Taunted, phazed or statused
- Roost gives it an extra edge over the lake guardians and Cress, while Ground immunity and Bug neutrality set it apart from Mew
- Many switch-in opportunities on status moves, Fighting-type moves and Ground-type moves
- Reflect and Light Screen with Light Clay = excellent team support, helps the team take hits better
- U-Turn helps gain momentum and an advantagous switch, also lets Xatu escape and bring a teammate in safely

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Useful on offensive teams that benefit from extra protection
- Thunder Wave or Toxic, but hard pressed to find a spare moveslot
- EV spread outspeeds Modest Empoleon, avoids 2HKO Snorlax's Pursuit, Scrafty's Crunch
- Good teammates are those who benefit from dual screens ie. are frail
- Cofagrigus becomes tough to take down and can utilize screens to set up NP and TR
- Mienshao resists Rock-type and Dark-type moves and beats Dark-types that Xatu hates
- Empoleon sets up Agility and has decent synergy
- Snorlax beats Chandelure which Xatu hates, and becomes even more impossible to take down

Last edited:

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Xatu's typing really isn't better than Mew or the lake guardian's, as it's weak to SR and a bunch of other common attacking types such as Electric and Ice. The extra resistances to Grass- and 4x Fighting-types don't really matter too much as other Psychic-types can deal with those as well, although the neutrality to Bug and immunity to Ground is awesome. About Roost, Mew has access to that as well, so I'd recommend yo mention that. Basically, Xatu's strongest point is it's ability, so that should be a reason enough to use Xatu over other Dual Screeners.

Also, the EVs should look like this: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 Spd / 16 Spe. Remember, "Spe" is Speed and "Spd" is Special Defense when writing analyses.

Personally, I love this set, and I hope I helped make this better ^_^

Too many EV's here (you're at 524). Either cut the speed entirely or take the 16 away from one of the defenses. Otherwise, looking pretty solid.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I have no idea what your EVs do, this set loses to every Spiker without Psychic, and, more importantly, only exceedingly good users of Screens typically get a Screens set (such as Azelf), therefore:

QC Rejected 1/3

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The EV spread avoids the 2HKO from Snorlax Pursuit and Scrafty Crunch behind screens, outspeeds Modest Empoleon, but I don't mind changing to 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe

You don't beat Spikers; you set up in front of them. Behind screens, Roserade and Qwilfish can't do anything back to Xatu and Froslass beats all Xatu anyway. This set can set up screens against Ground-type moves, Fighting-type moves and walls.

I'm about to test this and I have two questions:

1) Why not Wish as an alternate to Roost?
2) Why bother with special EVs if physical attackers are its biggest threat?

I can easily see this thing getting run over by Rhyperior on turn 1.

Edit: Used this Xatu with Wish on 2 occasions:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uususpecttest-43224759
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-43334316
Wish saved Swampert's life more than once, and Xatu and Swampert seem to have good synergy when it comes to fighting stall mons.

Last edited:
I'm about to test this and I have two questions:

1) Why not Wish as an alternate to Roost?
2) Why bother with special EVs if physical attackers are its biggest threat?

I can easily see this thing getting run over by Rhyperior on turn 1.

Edit: Used this Xatu with Wish on 2 occasions:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uususpecttest-43224759
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-43334316
Wish saved Swampert's life more than once, and Xatu and Swampert seem to have good synergy when it comes to fighting stall mons.
This set is suppose to be used to aid other sweepers/wallbreakers do their jobs, but mainly set-up mons and not attempt to stall out opposing heavy-hitters such as Heracross and Mienshao out.

For instance, you will lure in certain mons on your setting up of the screen/s, then proceed to U-Turn out to a Pokemon that takes advantage of that switch-in (TR Cofag on their Heracross/Mienshao or you bring in your Sub DD Kingdra on their Amoongus as now it cant break your Substitutes guaranteed).

@OP

You have good minimal Speed EVs which allow you to get the switch initiative almost always which is great and this Pokemon gets a nifty ability to prevent hazards being set-up while you get up screens.

I'm leaning towards approving since despite it not being able to do much to Spikers, they cant set up on it, you got U-turn to not be complete set-up bait but in all honesty at times when you come in and force a switch; they can just bring in their set-up mon and get a turn ahead of your potential switch-in to set-up. This won't always be the situation so it won't be fair to always assume this to be the case.

- Weavile resists Dark-, Ghost- and Ice-type moves and appreciates dual screens to set up SD
I would remove this to be honest, Weavile even behind screens can't switch in most Pokemon; it either will get ohkoed by their other STAB attack (Cofag Will-O-Wisp / hidden power Fighting and Chandelure is too powerful anyways) or crippled by status.

I'd add NP Cofagrigus to be a great mon, Dark-type usually wont come in on Xatu anyways fearing T-wave or U-turn so yeah. Same with CM Raikou, D Kingdra, Cobalion etc.

I'll wait for the more senior QC members to have their input.

Having written the current Xatu analysis a while back, the idea for a Dual Screens set was at one point in time proposed, but never made the cut, and Kokoloko gave me the same reasons as to why. Xatu lacks any significant bulk to be an effective screens setter, whereas Pokemon such as Uxie, Bronzong, and Cresselia are bursting with it. Even Azelf has slightly more bulk, but its Speed stat allows it to compensate. Xatu also finds itself at an unfortunate Speed tier, and because of its non-existent bulk, can still be picked off by faster threats at the onset of a game. It's not uncommon to see things like Scarf Raikou or a Mienshao Variant leading off a game. Kokoloko pointed this out as well, but your EVs are very confusing, having no set purpose to them. Personally, you'd be better off running the standard 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe, since Reflect prevents Rhyperior from OHKOing you, and the added special bulk helps against Froslass and Roserade.

Still, I was led to know that Xatu is not a functional Dual Screener, even if its ability is a boon to HO teams, and that you'd be better off using the one of the aforementioned Pokemon above.

Alright so after seeing this in action several times I can't say that I'm impressed by its capabilities. It's ability is amazing although this thing just gives some breathing room for the opponent and it isn't hard for the opponent to set-up on you as a matter of fact (as it will be technically one turn ahead of your sweeper or w.e, Azelf on the other hand is fast and can get hazards as well, I also dislikes using a entire slot for a Pokemon who can get up hazards with no other major benefits).

To sum it up, in practise this thing is pretty much set-up bait, it isn't very threatening and I dare say a number of the metagame who are huge threats can switch-in and get a substitute/set up etc. yes you have U-turn to not fully give away momentum but still it comes at the expense of having nothing to hurt any switch-in whether it be in the form of status of damage.

(QC REJECTED 2/3)

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
(QC REJECTED 3/3)

Yeah this is setup bait, I'd much rather use something like Azelf. Everything koko and Somalia said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)