XY bulky offensive trick room team (peaked #8 so far)

This is my first RMT, I've been slowly making changes to this team over the past few weeks, managed to get to 8th on the ladder and seem to have hit a bit of a dead end, figured that I would try posting the team on here and see if anyone could help improve it. So without further ado, here's the team:

Jeff (Hitmontop) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
Hitmontop is my first and main support pokemon, mainly used for helping set up trick room and intimidating foes. It has Max attack and HP EVs to have as much power as possible whilst still being bulky, having pretty nice 50/95/110 defenses and a sitrus berry. It has a brave nature and 0 speed IVs to have max attack and to make it as fast as possible during trick room.

Brief move overview:
Fake Out - Extremely useful in either helping set up trick room or just shutting down an enemy pokemon for a turn.
Close Combat - Main STAB move, with 120 BP and max attack it hits anything that doesnt resist it pretty hard and KOs most that a weak to it
Rock Slide - Deals with the flying types that there are so many of and provides pretty much complete coverage alongside Close Combat, the 30% flinch is nice too.
Wide Guard - Really useful move for protecting teammates from spread moves such as earthquake, rock slide and heat wave

Carl (Chandelure) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Trick Room
Chandelure is the trick roomer I generally send out first as it can always survive one attack with its focus sash (hitmontop usually faking out the other). It is an extremely heavy hitter with 145 base 252+ special attack while also being pretty bulky with 252 HP EVs and 60/90/90 defenses. I chose flash fire over infiltrator as it absorbs will-o-wisps and helps focus sash not break (also, infiltrator is needed less as mawile has brick break). At 80 speed he may be considered a bit too fast for trick room but the ghost/fire typing really makes up for it as it stops fake outs and damages steels well.
Brief move overview:
Heat Wave - Powerful STAB spread fire move, can be boosted with flash fire if the opponent makes a mistake or you switch in to a fire move
Shadow Ball - General Stab with good coverage
Protect - Helps Chandelure survive longer, useful for keeping him at 100% while a trick room helper is switched in to follow me / fake out the next turn
Trick room - The centrepoint of the team, making the slowest pokemon go first for 5 turns for those that don't know

Steve (Reuniclus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Trick Room
Reuniclus is my second trick room user and also a very heavy hitter, having base 125 252+ special attack with life orb, also getting no recoil from the life orb because of his ability - magic guard. He is quite bulky with his 110/75/85 defenses able to take multiple spread abilities not absorbed by Togekiss. He has pretty good coverage, only struggling vs psychic types and doing good damage to everything else.

Brief move overview:
Psychic - Powerful STAB move, takes care of the few poison types around that resist sylveon's attack. Unfortunately does 98.5% max on 252 HP / 252+ SDef Amoonguss
Focus Blast - Can be slightly risky but provides good coverage with Psychic, takes care of fairy's other weakness, steel
Protect - Helps Reuniclus survive longer, useful for keeping alive while a trick room helper is switched in to follow me / fake out the next turn
Trick room - The centrepoint of the team, making the slowest pokemon go first for 5 turns for those that don't know

Boris (Togekiss) (M) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 Def / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Light Screen
- Protect​

Togekiss is my second support pokemon, his main jobs being follow me support to help set up trick room and putting up light screen. He is generally sent out vs teams that use taunt or spore to try to stop trick room as he can follow me them onto him instead of the trick roomer, his safety goggles stopping spore and weather. He works well with Reuniclus as he resists bug and dark, 2/3 of Reuniclus' weaknesses. I have put EVs into HP and max defense so be as bulky as possible, light screen patching up its special defense (as if it wasn't good already).

Brief move overview:
Follow Me - Very useful move, focusing the enemy's attacks on togekiss rather than a trick room setter, also redirects spore (which is blocked by safety goggles) and taunt
Air Slash - General STAB move for damage along with a 60% flinch chance which can be very useful
Light Screen - Helps a great deal with survivability, combined with hitmontop and mawile's intimidate
Protect - For general survivability

Dave (Sylveon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Psyshock
- Draining Kiss
Sylveon is my main powerhouse on the team, his job is very simple: to spam hyper voice for the entire time he is alive. hyper voice with 252+ special attack, choice specs and pixilate deals heavy damage to all but special walls. He has very good special bulk and alright physical bulk with 95/65/130 defenses, but having 1½ intimidates on the team makes up for that.
Brief move overview:
Hyper Voice - Sylveon's main move, used 99% of the time. It becomes fairy type with sylveon's ability pixilate and deals very high damage to both opponents.
Hyper Beam - For if you need to take something by surprise, hyper beam goes from 150 BP to 195 BP and becomes a STAB.
Psyshock - Don't think i've ever used this ability, it provides coverage with poison resisting fairy but sylveon is almost always locked into hyper voice
Draining Kiss - Can heal Sylveon back up pretty well, just filler for the moment

Tim (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
Mawile-mega is my mega for the team and my physical sweeper, with huge power he has 687 attack. He is so powerful that he can KO dragonite through multiscale with an unboosted play rough. He also has some surprisingly good 50/125/95 defenses, made even better with light screen from Togekiss and his intimidate.

Brief move overview:
Iron Head - Good STAB move with a 30% flinch chance, takes out fairies very efficiently
Play Rough - Another good STAB, has 90% accuracy unfortunately and misses at the most inopportune times, but has the chance to lower the foe's attack
Sucker Punch - Very useful priority move, even more so out of trick room, you have to be careful about the oppenent predicting it though
Brick Break - Hits the steel types hard that resist his STABs, also breaks reflect & light screen

Well there's there it is, please help out with some constructive criticism as I want to improve this team

Proof of ladder ranking:

Seems pretty solid, the only thing i would change (This is personal preference) is Rock Slide on Hitmontop, I would change it to Sucker Punch, helps to deal with Cress using Psyshock on you, also making you able to do some damage to Skymin, bcuz if TR runs out you're going to be in a really bad place, so you need some way to hit Skymin and CharY, also Sucker Punch nails opposing TR abusers like Reuniclus and Chandy.

Another personal preference, if you want to do more damage to things that are specially defensive you can run Psyshock on Reuniclus, you can also change Brick Break on MMaw for SD, since the usable and common steel types in doubles are Bisharp, heatran, Aegislash, Scizor and Exca, and you can easily nail them with SPunch after an SD, but still, personal preference.

CALCS FOR MAWILE VVVVVV
4 SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile through Light Screen: 132-156 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 228-270 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 100-118 (32.8 - 38.8%) -- 99.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 149-177 (49 - 58.2%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile through Light Screen: 110-129 (36.1 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

OTHER CALCS VVVVVVV
252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile through Light Screen: 176-207 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile through Light Screen: 263-310 (86.5 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (Need to be seriously insane to choose this one)

SP CALCS vvvvvvv
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 246-290 (71.5 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (This one is notable cuz BP will go first outside of TR and last in TR)
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 313-369 (81 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 498-586 (137.5 - 161.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 164-194 (58.7 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 555-654 (198.9 - 234.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 464-546 (143.2 - 168.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

REMEMBER, all of my suggestions are PERSONAL, the team is good as it is (It got you to 8th, of course it's good lol), but in my opinion, these would make the team a little bit better.

thanks for the advice, will definitely have a think about hitmontop as i've had a few people tell me to change it, I feel like I need brick break on mawile to deal with heatran and screens though

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, quick rec about the sylveon set
so it would look like hyper voice, psyshock, shadow ball, hidden power ground.
shadow ball > draining kiss because you already have great stab in hyper voice
hidden power ground > hyper beam because of recharge turn and it really helps your team against heatran (helps mawile out)

What EVs/IVs should I use on sylveon for the hidden power ground? the teambuilder doesn't do it properly if i want to keep the 0 speed IVs

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The rule for iv's is to keep the number odd or even.
So what you are experiencing is the teambuilder automatically changing it to 31/30/31/30/30/30 or something to make it a hidden power. If you wanted to change any of those ivs (in this case lower them) and still keep the hidden power typing the same, change your 30 to the lowest even number (2). This would now be 31/30/31/30/30/2
This also applies for the 31's. They become 1.
This rule does not apply if you are not using hidden powers. In that case, simply lower the iv to zero.
Ev's: 252 hp / 252 satk / 4 def should be fine

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The rule for iv's is to keep the number odd or even.
So what you are experiencing is the teambuilder automatically changing it to 31/30/31/30/30/30 or something to make it a hidden power. If you wanted to change any of those ivs (in this case lower them) and still keep the hidden power typing the same, change your 30 to the lowest even number (2). This would now be 31/30/31/30/30/2
This also applies for the 31's. They become 1.
This rule does not apply if you are not using hidden powers. In that case, simply lower the iv to zero.
Ev's: 252 hp / 252 satk / 4 def should be fine
0 is an even number; 2 was only used last generation to preserve full base power on Hidden Power, but now that HP is always 60 you can safely use 0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)