1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Challenge XY Giveaway Contest - FINALS!

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Stellar

Stellar
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Jack of All Trades

[​IMG]
    Round 6: the Finals!
    This round will end at 11:59:59 PM (GMT -5) on 9/28.

Four trainers have braved a month and a half of grueling challenges. Collectively, they've logged hundreds of in-game hours, destroying thousands of Shinx and probably a few brain cells in the process. The time has come for each of them to put it all on the line for the chance to win one of two free copies of Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

atsync is mainly known for his contributions to Smogon's in-game articles section, but he has proven time and time again that he isn't all talk. Although he hasn't finished first in any of the previous rounds, he has exhibited both consistency and dedication. Will he finally attain that coveted #1 spot this week?

Nexus has shown his skill in previous Orange Islands competitions like the Orange League. This entire competition has been a bit of a roller coaster ride for Nexus: one minute he's king of the factory, the next he's hoping the remaining competitors choke and he slides into the next round. Despite any roadblocks he encountered along the way, Nexus has attained a seat in the final four, and you can bet he will do everything he can to keep it.

Mekkah: this player is a shadow,hiding in the darkness.there is not much information about this guy,except that it is a boy

Wyverii is the powerhouse of this competition. With first place finishes in rounds one and four, you can bet your bottom dollar that the other contestants are quaking in their running shoes. In round one, Wyverii edged out the competition with an astonishing Blue speedrun time of forty-nine minutes. Will history repeat itself this round as Wyverii stares down a familiar challenge?

Challenge
    Pokémon Black/White: collect the first three badges with as low a continuous in-game time as possible

Rules
    A list of general rules can be found here.

1. Do not abuse save states/resets.
    2. Do not use any cheat codes.
    3. Do not trade Pokémon into your file.
    Submissions
    Start a conversation with Stellar titled "Finals Submission"

• You must submit a photo or screenshot of the bottom screen during the saving process.
    • Your screenshot must contain your current team, your in-game time, and the number of badges.
    • You may only submit one screenshot or photo. Select your best score.
    • You should not post your results publicly.

The top two players from this round win their choice of either Pokémon X or Pokémon Y.

You may use this thread to post predictions.
  2. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Can we make like one save somewhere after all the starter picking/tutorial shenanigans? Resetting takes forever.
    Level 51 likes this.
  3. Stellar

Stellar
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Jack of All Trades

I've decided that every finalist may save once immediately after Juniper's catching tutorial. The introduction portion of the game is the most tedious, so this is a bit of a concession. Wyverii, Mekkah, and Nexus agreed to this. atsync, if you have a problem with this decision, let me know and we can revisit it.
  4. atsync

atsync Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Yeah I'm good with this. Of course, I'll have to delete my old save file to take advantage of this rule, but I'm not particularly attached to that file so it's all good.

Just to be clear, this is the ONLY time I can use my one save, right? Like, I can't just decide to use my save at a different part of the game if I wanted to?
  5. Stellar

Stellar
    Jack of All Trades

I realized my post was ambiguous regarding that point right after I posted. It was updated while you were composing your post. (Note the addition of "immediately.") Sorry for the confusion!
  6. Level 51

Level 51 [17:37:18] boTTT: (Private to @Level 51) ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Wyverii to win it all (1:04); Nexus a close second (1:05); atsync will miss out by 1-2 minutes (1:07); Mekkah will probably tie with atsync but get last because he submits it so close to the deadline.
    (for reference, the WR is something like 1:03)
    Snaquaza likes this.
  7. Lasagne

Lasagne me!me!me!me!me!me!me!me!me!me!me!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Wyverii and atsync
  8. Hulavuta

Hulavuta Merry Christmas
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Wyverii and Mekkah for the win

Boo Nexus he doesn't reveal his profile

No comment on atsync, I don't really know him
  9. Celever

Celever

lol so you made a challenge that favors Wyverii a lot, looking at round 1.

Wyverii don't screw this up.

I would say Mekkah but Mekkah sucks, atsync is good at orange league I guess but IRC GODDAMMIT. I guess I have to go with Nexus for second place! ^_^
  10. Stellar

Stellar
    Jack of All Trades

11. Stellar

Stellar
    Jack of All Trades

The winners of the contest are Wyverii and Nexus. Please congratulate them!

Final times for this round:
    Wyverii - 59 minutes
    Nexus - 61 minutes
    Mekkah - 61 minutes
    atsync - 64 minutes

The 2/3rd place tie was resolved using rankings from previous rounds. Nexus had a combined rank total of 24. Mekkah had a combined rank total of 35. Nexus has a lower score, meaning he performed better overall.

Thank you to everyone who participated, hopefully we can see something similar in the future!

p.s. poor Mekkah and atsync :[
    Celever, Manitary and Snaquaza like this.
  12. Kirbyofthestars

Kirbyofthestars

Congratulations Wyverii and Nexus!
  13. Hulavuta

Hulavuta Merry Christmas
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Wyverii, no surprise there.

I bet against Nexus but whatever, I forgive him for making me wrong.

Congratulations!
  14. Level 51

is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

59 minutes o______________o
    congrats guys !!
  15. Celever

Celever

My predictions were right! :P

Also Level 51 does this mean Wyverii is the WR holder for this?

Congratulations to Wyverii and Nexus though!
  16. Manitary

Manitary

Congratulations to the winners! :)
    And yes there should be more competitions like this (even without such a high prize for the winner)
  17. Roadagain

Roadagain

First of all, congrats to all the winners, and why not all of the finalists as well. I really wish I got that far, but alas, no such luck (Or rather, skill).

Secondly, a huge thanks for Stellar organizing something like this. For the 3 weeks I was able to play on the level I wnted, I really, REALLY enjoyed taking part in this event. I certainly hope we'll see more neat stuff like this in the future, with or without prizes.
  18. sandshrewz

sandshrewz POTATO
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Congrats NeXus and wYverii! ^_^ it was fun watching all the contests just as a spectator. Thanks to Stellar for hosting and coming up with this!!
    DHR-107 likes this.
  19. Level 51

I think you just derived pleasure from my Battle Factory failings, didn't you.........
    sandshrewz likes this.
  20. Deinosaur

Deinosaur GO GOOMY

Congrats to Nexus and Wyverii ! I couldn't make it past round 1 (I'm a disgrace) , so it's really great to see who won. Unfortunately it was Nexus. Just kidding, serious props to you guys.
    Celever likes this.
  21. SSJ

SSJ

Congratulations Nexus and Wyverii!So which version are you guys picking?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)