1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Challenge XY Giveaway Contest - Round 1

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stellar

Stellar
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Little Cup Pope

This round ends approximately 21 hours from this post. Make sure to submit something so you have a shot at the gift card!
  2. amnz

amnz

what happens if noone else submits anything? Will the 24 of us go onto the next round?
  3. richi3f

richi3f

I had the perfect timing and then everything went downhill. First I'm beaten by my rival and I'm back to Mt. Moon's Pokémon Center. Then Ivysaur tries to learn PoisonPowder and I make it forget Tackle, now it can't fight a Zubat in the Nugget Bridge! I'll have to start over -.- Let's hope I can submit something on time.
  4. amnz

amnz

Try using Squirtle, it's better for speedruns
  5. Minus

Minus ad infinitum et ultra
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Hmm...why not bulba? SE again first 2 gyms, resists third and Weedle/Zubat's poison stings, and learns cut. For the purpose of this challenge bulba looks like the best.
  6. amnz

amnz

Wartortle fucks up Brock, kicks Misty's ass with Mega Punch and destroys Lt Surge with Dig,
    Oh and it allows you to breeze trough certain parts of the run, like the Nugget Bridge. I usually go with Paras as a Cut user, you get him appear while travelling through Mt Moon so you don't have to waste time looking for him.
  7. Manitary

Manitary

Yep Bulbasaur seems better on paper but it has problem in non-gym matches, whereas Squirtle get Bubble at lvl8 for Rock, Mega Punch in Mt.Moon, Bubblebeam from Misty, Dig from the Rocket when you move to Vermilion City
    richi3f likes this.
  8. Minus

is a Contributor Alumnus

Hmm, I'll try a run with him then
    amnz likes this.
  9. amnz

amnz

Sooo... is it over?
  10. Snaquaza

Snaquaza

i think the deadline was american time, but I don't know for sure

@Stellar, can you confirm or disprove this?
  11. Stellar

Stellar
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Little Cup Pope

There are still six and a half hours until the deadline.
  12. amnz

amnz

oh hahaha right now here in Spain is 00:30 so I got confused :S
  13. richi3f

richi3f

I've finally got something! It's not the best (ok, it's terrible), but that's all I could do with Bulbasaur* and my rival's hax (i.e., Sand-Attack). All in all this was a fun experience. I never played the original games (Ruby was my first Pokémon game), so it's nice to try this game for the first time.

BTW, @Stellar this will make me look stupid but I can't find the PM button. Is it the same as "Start Conversation"?

*Now I know why Squirtle's a better option.
    Alterevolution likes this.
  14. Stellar

Stellar
    Little Cup Pope

Yes, start conversation is the same thing.
    richi3f likes this.
  15. Minus

is a Contributor Alumnus

ack, I need to hurry DX
  16. Minus

is a Contributor Alumnus

Sent my time. YAY!
  17. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Remember my name.
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Was swamped with work all week and I'm pretty sure I don't have time to do it now. I pre-ordered X in anticipation for this anyways.

Good luck to the rest of the entrants!
  18. Quark

Quark

Mine's in, I hope on time.
    Pretty good for my first speed run and I had fun
  19. Stellar

Stellar
    Little Cup Pope

This round has ended. Scores will be updated momentarily. The new round will be up shortly after that.
  20. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Only 10 minutes between first place and cut off. Damn, this really hammered home for me how the little things matter in speed running! I bet I could've gotten a better time had I kept at it, but thankfully I didn't have to :P
  21. Stellar

Stellar
    Little Cup Pope

Thank you to everyone who participated! The drawing for the gift card will happen in the next couple days (once I actually buy it!).
  22. Roadagain

Roadagain

My original aim was to get under the 50 minute mark, but the last run was marvelous except for one thing. (Twelve Zubats, one Geodude, and at the last step, a Paras at Mt. Moon. If I didn't get the Paras i would've reset)

Good to see I still have a decent grasp of what counts for a good time.
  23. Manitary

Manitary

For anyone interested, I put in my signature the link to the video of my run. There are "strange" thing like picking up extra items but you'll see that those choices payed off to get the run finished.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)