Other XY Monotype: Balanced Rock

What do you think about that team?

• Great! You made the best out of the type!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad, but there is hope left.

• Horrible!

• Total voters
Some time ago, I had the ambitious goal of building a viable Rock monotype team. I have put pretty much effort into planing how to build a team that has not that much weaknesses overall despite its inferior defensive typing. And I will present the results here.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

A classical lead Ttar. As long as I don't see a potent threat luring in the opponents rows, I will send it out first, for two reasons:
  1. With sandstorm raging on the field, every single Pokémon on my team (except of Mega-Aggron) gets a SpD boost. And rock type Pokémon appreciate this a lot, as their Def stat is mostly pretty high whereas their SpD stat is pretty average.
  2. Having stealth rock on the field from an early point in the match can be very helpfull.
With Pursuit I have a nice toy for predicted switches, Crunch and Stone Edge as powerfull STABs for delaing good damage to opponents Pokémon I either predict that they won't attack or when you are abled to outspeed the opponenton a point where your sash has done its duty. (which is pretty unlikely, I know.)

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

As mentioned above, this team features Mega Aggron. Why? Becuase of its massive bulk, therefore its ability to tank some otherwise fatal hits, its lack of a water type weakness and its respectable offensive presence, considering it is such a tank. The moves are nothing unconvetional, as they standard, the nature and EV are put for a maximal special durability.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Infestation
- Sandstorm
- Recover
- Sludge Bomb
Cradily gained some nice set options by getting acces to Infestation. This set heavily relies on residual damage, through Infestation, Sandstorm and Poison, induced by Sludge Bomb. The type in combination with its ability don't leave it prone to the most common threat for my team, ground type attacks, and from water type attacks it actually gains profite. And because it gains a SpA boost from Storm Drain, I prefered Sludge Bomb over Toxic. Recover is a must carry on a staller having access to it.
But why should I max out Def over SpD? For one simple reason: the SpD boost from sandstorm! When having Def maxed out and sandstorm as the active weather, you get good bulk on both defensive values, allowing Cradily to take some hits while rapidly wearing down the opponent through two or even three types of passive damage. I usually use Cradily against opponents I wouldn't be abled to take down effectively otherwise, or simply for abusing the sandstorm Tyranitar has summond before.

Rampardos @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Crunch

I had lots of people suggesting me Rock polish over Scarf. But if I chose RP, Rampardos wouldn't be abled to complete the task it has on ym team: a revenge killer. I did some maths, and with maxed out speed and scarf, it outspeeds everything unboosted with a base speed up to 106. I know about its weaknesses: Pokémon faster than it and priority abusers. But dang! If you switch it in at the right time, you get a nearly guaranteed KO with it, even on stuff like Rotom.

Tyrantrum @ Expert Belt
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang
- Crunch

Tyrantrum, the dinosaur for coverage purposes. If I predict that my opponent will send out a Pokémon capable of countering my Taranitar, Tyrantrum comes instead. Having a huuuuuuge coverage, you are easily abled to catch an opponent on the wrong foot by having an answer to a lot of Pokémon you might get confornted with. Expert Belt uses the great coverage, and Strong Jaw helps dealing more damage. (It's its default ability, what choice would I have anyways?)

Omastar @ White Herb
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Muddy Water
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Last, but not least, Omastar. Lord Helix has its spot on my team as one of the scarce special attacker featuring the rock type. Running a common Shell Smash set, it only has to fear the presence of a strong priotizy attacker once it has set up. I use Muddy Water over surf as a kind of Gimmick, allowing for a bit of hax. Most important: Omastar uses two attack types my other Pokémon don't have acces to.

BUT: I have a significant weakness to Fighting types when it occurs that I am not abled to get Rampardos out for a Zen Headbutt. If anyone knows how to get rid of that flaw, yo might tell me.

That is my team. What doy ou think about it? Please tell me. Thank you!

What about Aerodactyl or Archeops to give you an option for Fighting types, both are faster than the majority and have hard hitting STABS, mega aero even gets tough claws to boost power further

Hi Lockdufter, this is a nice team you have here! Here are some changes I think should help you do better in battles:

• I suggest you change Aggrons set to Curse/Heavy Slam/Rest/Sleep Talk, so you can set up on fighting types and potentially sweep them, and if you want to take on fighting types even better, you can run max phys def evs
  • Change Cradily's set to Recover/Stealth Rock/Toxic/Giga Drain, so you can wear down scary walls like Landorus-T or offensive threats like Lando-I easier, and Sandstorm is kind of redundant since you have tyranitar
  • Change Tyranitar's set to the Mega Dragon Dance set
  • Change Omastar's muddy water to surf or hydro pump
  • i suggest you change rampardos for choice scarf terrakion; terrakion is better in the revenge killing aspect, as it is faster and outspeeds scary things like keldeo
LOL (Aggron) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD or 252 Def / 4 SpD / Def
Impish Nature / Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse

xD (Cradily) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain

rofl (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Crunch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)