XY NU XY NU Rate My Team

Hey guys I just got an account on Smogon and i made a couple teams on Pokemon Showdown lately. I want you guys to help me refine my NU team i just made, so here it is:

Fishy McBites (Gorebyss) (F) @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 92 HP / 164 Def / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Surf
- Ice Beam

So first of all, I usually lead with this standard SmashPass set. It outspeeds some threats with its 252 speed EVs (i'm not that good at explaining stuff in posts lol) and its 164 defense allows it to sponge some attacks allowing it to setup shell smash and white herb removes it's -1/-1 defenses. After that, it has 2 options: 1. Sweep with Surf and Ice Beam, or 2. Passing to another pokemon to clear most of the opponents team depending on what Team Preview shows me. Swift Swim is just in case there's rain so it can setup and sweep faster, effectively abusing it.

OMNOMNOM (Slurpuff) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Surf

Slurpuff has been a pretty good setup sweeper (proportionally comparable to CM Gardevoir) wiping out most of the metagame by CMing then doubling its speed and hitting hard or Subbing. A favorable SmashPass receiver even though it already has a has a setup move of its own, but it still likes coming out with +2 spatk. The 4HP EVs are for an even ammount of HP to reliably get sitrus berry activated and double its speed in most cases, allowing it to sweep effectively, while the 252 spatk and spd EVs are the only ones left to invest(and it's practically mandatory).

Muscle Man (Gurdurr) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch

Gurdurr loves receiving that SmashPass. Once it gets the +2 attack, it hits like a truck. Eviolite and its defense makes it a hard hitting tank with its 252hp and 252+ attack EVs. The 4Def EVs are to give it a little extra bulkiness to tank a few Brave Birds or Psyshocks if possible. It also loves burns and poison from common status threats allowing it to effectively sweep an entire team, though sleep will keep it dead weight or just to ward off anymore Spores or Sleep Powders(Sleep Clause).

ToxKiller (Dragalge) (M)@ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Dragalge has that offensive pressure I need thanks to its specs and investment. It threatens physical attackers using contact moves as they can poison the foe, allowing Dragalge to simply click a move and spam it throughout until I see that it wont do anymore.

Flappy Bird (Xatu) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Calm Mind

Xatu is an excelent Baton Pass recipent, as it cannot be roared out, and if i see a hazard-setter on Team Preview, I send this out (mostly to troll Probopass) to KO with one of its moves and bouncing back nondamage moves that the opponent was foolish enough to use. If not, I just send out Gorebyss to SmashPass(or sweep on its own).

MeteorMasher (Magmortar) (F) Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast/Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Magmortar really hits like a MagMORTAR with that SmashPass added to it. Fire Blast for STAB, thunderbolt and HP Grass for coverage, and Focus Blast to get a hit on those rock types who would otherwise wall, check, or counter this set. I prefer Fire Blast over Overheat because I don't like my Spatk being lowered by 2 stages when im supposed to stay out with that boost, but that's preference for you on that part. It would probably struggle with Stealth Rocks and any other hazards (mostly SR), so I have to find a good spinner to replace one of my teammates

So, a decent team if I do say so myself, but if you can tell me what to add or replace, that would be awesome, and do me a favor: find which pokemon I should replace for a Rapid Spinner/Defogger because Magmortar needs that support, or should I go for a different special sweeper such as Sceptile. Help me polish my teambuilding skills and this team itself, because I believe in you Smogon nerds the most at this stuff.

Like I said, this is my first post, so be gentle (or brutal if you think my team is poo, but somewhere in between, and with your persuasive reasoning) and help me. I've worked up the will to register on Smogon after some time of playing on Pokemon Showdown. I've seen numerous posts and analysis pages in this expansive community on the ever popular Pokemon Series.

So, discuss!

EDIT: Changed up my team to better suit its playstyle and weaknesses:
Vivillon -> Specs Magmortar -> LO -> AV
BD Slurpuff -> CM Slurpuff
Audino -> Dragalge
Steelix -> Rotom-F -> Xatu

Last edited:
Hi CrazyGuy108 the first problem i see with your team is your big Fighting weakness as you only have Slurpuff to take this kinds of hits and you certainly don't want to weaken it and possibly hinder a late game sweep so i suggest you to change your Audino with Choice Specs Dragalge. Dragalge has better sinergy with Steelix and fits your team much better with its offensive presence. I'd also change Magmortar to a Life Orb variant that i'll paste you below as it needs as much flexibility as possible to be a good SmashPass receiver. There are also a small change that i'd make namely putting Mach Punch over Poison Jab on Gurdurr as your team can deal with Slurpuff decently and make the HP even for all your mons (bar slurpuff)

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald / Focus Blast

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

EDIT: i'd also put some images to make your RMT more appetible to raters, you can find them here

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to point out a few flaws in your team:
First off always use mach punch over poison jab on gurdurr, priority is much better on gurdurr than type coverage especially considering that your team has no priority. Secondly I'd like to point that your team is very vivillon weak imo since after audino dies +1 vivi can either OHKO or 2HKO your entire team.
Next I'd like to point out that having double edge over return on audino is a terrible idea since you don't want residual damage on a wall no matter how much recovery it has. Steelix and audino have almost non existent defensive synergy I would recommend replacing steelix with a ghost type such as gourgeist which may leave your team even more open to vivillon in which case I would use bulky boosting rotom-fan over gourgeist but it really is a toss up since without gourgeist most of your team loses to lantern late game. Your team is also pretty slow, I would change magmortar's set around just a little bit to timid/hasty scarf as well as taking away HP ice for hp grass or ground or even mixed with eq since ice doesn't give him much coverage wise. And finally CM slurpuff (from my experience) is much more of a threat than belly.

I hope I could help. Have a great day :]

Slurpuff
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Surf / Thunderbolt / Energy Ball

Gourgeist
Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Sneak / Substitute

Gurdurr

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Fan @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Charge Beam
- Air Slash

Magmortar

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Thanks you two. I'll be testing out this team on Showdown and see if your advice worked(which it probably did), Pilobacon and galbia.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am guessing that you changed your team since you first posted your team, which makes it a little confusing to understand. That must be why a couple of the descriptions for some pokes are not there compared to others (like why 56 speed on specs dragalge, why you are using the crappy rotom-s (rotom-f is the fridge rotom) set).

Swords Dance or even dragon dance Feraligatr with ice punch completely annihilates this team, as charge beam from rotom uninvested isnt doing much, and i believe aqua jet from life orb gatr kills at +0 to magmortar after rocks. Which is also another problem for your team, not having a stealth rock mon. It also seems set that you want to use gorebyss as your smashpasser, which is fine, but I do not understand your ev spread. Finally, your team is very very weak to spikestacking teams, as you really have no pokes to threaten leads such as omastar and qwilfish to do their stuff and severly limiting your switches and exclusively relying on a sweep from smashpass.

To limit hazards, I was debating between Shiftry and Xatu, but I think Xatu will really work in this spot. This can force mind games with your opponent about whether to get hazards up with the fear that you can send them back, while also living a hit from either of them if need be it, unlike shiftry (though xatu leaves you weak to crustle leads, which are not as big of a problem in my opinion). Xatu is also an excellent baton pass recipient, as it cannot be roared out. Replace this with your rotom-s, as that really does not contribute anything to your team.

I would also suggest a stealth rocker. I also have difficulty placing either seismitoad or uxie as your setter but I think Uxie fits this team. This poke has the combination of setting up stealth rocks + memento, which allows you to more easily set up a shell smash with gorebyss. For the other two moves, you can try to go with either dual screens to amek it even easier for gorebyss, though you are set up and taunt bait, light screen + psychic as gorebyss is fairly physically bulky, or psychic + thunder wave/yawn to get damage and cripple other pokes to make your gorebyss set up easier.

Minor and optional suggestion here, but you can go with assault vest > life orb on magmortar. With +2 +2 attacks, you will be dealing massive damage with magmortar anyways, while life orb damage will put you in range for stuff to revenge kill with sucker punch and other priority. With assault vest, this gives you the chance to better live special attacks when you baton pass to magmortar to increase survivability. Of course, without the gorebyss boost, magmortar is not nearly as threatening with an assault vest, so this change is optional. You could also go with expert belt to increase your damage output without taking damage for every hit.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Speed
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Psychic / Stored Power
- Giga Drain / Heat Wave
- Calm Mind

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Yawn / Thunder Wave
- Memento

But next time, show what your previous pokes were in your team description so I know how the team evolved. I have no idea what your team was previously otherwise. Welcome to Smogon!

Last edited:
At first I was using Steelix and Audino in place of Dragalge and Rotom-S, and Vivillon inplace of Magmortar. Thanks for your suggestions as when I was testing my team, it was swept and outsped by specs/scarf Kadabra and crippled by Probopass. Also, what do you think I should replace for Uxie, Shuckleking87?

Edit: Corrections

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)