Project XY NU Research Week #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Credit to Mazz for the OP
Approved by Raseri

Welcome, NUers and all those looking for an excellent comp. 'mons experience! A fresh tier means a fresh installment of Research Group!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-Ups close Wednesday nights (about three and a half days of sign-ups), so be sure to sign up before they close!
  • Errrr....I don't have any prizes (yet), but obviously, your name with be forever in this thread's Hall of Fame =]
  • You must post a ladder ranking in order to win the above prize(s).

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Leavanny | Fletchinder | Chatot | Combusken | Vivillon | Klinklang

How useful are these Pokemon in XY NU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #neverused as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown NU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.

Minus for being a great host =]]]

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright cool, i was hoping that this would eventually spread and make it's way here, I'll fill out a form later tonight when i get time to make a alt and decide which one/ones to do, anyhow thank you for starting this up.

The pokemon I have the most experience using here is Fletchinder, and its a really solid cleaner if you give it a lot of hazard support (but then again, what isn't?). I find that it works great with anything that can remove the rocks / steels with ease (mainly Magneton and Probopass, though Rhydon and co are big threats too (though they hate WoW at least, which can deter them). But if you combine something like Accelgor / Fletchinder / Seismitoad, I bet you can take out a lot of the meta pretty well! Of course, Fletchinder has a lot of problems vs any team that is reasonably bulky or has fast priority, but its ability to hit frail threats like Sawk and Accelgor give it a definite solid niche right now.

I may sign up to ladder in the future, but ive already used most of these Pokemon before, except for Leavanny :P

Alt: TheMagis4Life Pokemon: Chatot, combusken,
I actually wanted to test chatot as I am very interested in how much of a buff boomburst is to its movepool and I love birds.

Last edited:
Leavanny: Solid Sticky Web setter with Focus Sash. This pretty much means that it will only fail to fulfill this goal by fast taunt users or maybe a Scarf Multi-hit move user. Taking this into account that means you only need Speed and Attack on it, so it hits pretty hard with X-Scissors and Leaf Blade STAB so it gets in Seismitoad's face which is one of the best Stealth Rock users. It also deals with Sandslash due to its typing although you will not OHKO Sandslash with Leaf Blade. The biggest problem for Leavanny, I would say it's Archeops. It can use Stealth Rock + Taunt to either prevent Sticky Web or other movesets that aren't purely offensive. Leavanny may also run a moveset with Baton Pass Swords Dance to help set up a teammate's sweep. Definitely a solid Pokemon to use... despite it's bad typing.

Fletchinder: Amazing. This thing literally forces you to run a Rock/Steel/Electric type on your team that can consistently switch into it without caring about the incoming Will-O-Wisp. The most obvious problem with Fletchinder is that it's mandatory to use a spinner/defogger as its partner because you'll be losing 50% of your health every time you switch it in. The other problem is that mostly it runs itemless so you shouldn't expect it to take a hit too well. It's Attack doesn't look too impressive but it actually manages to hit top threats pretty hard like Sigilyph, Feraligatr, etc. After Swords Dance it can pretty much clean the house unless there's a Rock/Steel/Electric type present on the opposing team. It's a great Pokemon to use given the right support.

Minus

Will update the OP, keep it up guys. Discussing the Research Group is required to win, so continue to do that!

Alt: Frantanzy Watson
Pokemon: Vivillion to start, possibly Chatot, KlinkKlang and Fletchinder getting thrown into the mix depending on how things go.

Alt: Savipah

Pokemon: Fletchinder, Klinklang
Fletchinder: A very good clean up poke, but fragile as most. I paired this with Shiftry, to get rid of rocks. Gale Wings Acrobatics makes cleaning up easy. Fighting and Grass type threats in the tier (such as: Gurdurr, Sawk, and Primeape for fighting; as for grass types: Sceptile, Vileplume, and Shiftry) are weakened by priority Acrobatics. I personally run no item. Before i did use a Sitrus berry (incase rocks were up), but is no longer needed because of Shiftry's defog. Flame Charge is also another moveslot, that raises its speed. This will make it so faster Pokemon with priority can't hit fletch. without getting hit with an acrobatics. Will-O-Wisp is also useful, so once you predict a rock type is coming, it will be burned. And finally, U-turn, for momentum and to get away from walls such as Seismitoad (which can also be countered by Shiftry.

Klinklang: A good late game sweeper. Once it sets up with Shift Gear, it can deal tons of damage. Gear grind does a lot of damage, and Wild Charge gives it an additional attack. Substitute will also allow a wall for it to set up on pokes like Lickylicky or Audino. Paired with an Air Balloon, and it is a solid Archeops counter. Although with a good set up move, there are some flaws. One is that Klinglang's movepool is small. It doesn't have many moves to hit with. It is countered by Pokes like Seismitoad and Steelix( I have found partnering Klinklang with Jynx and Shiftry work pretty well. Also, Gear Grind has a decent chance to miss.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Combusken: A fantastic baton passer, right now the set I'm running is:
Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 184 HP / 36 SDef / 36 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Flare Blitz

I just have a little bit of bulk in both stats to take hits on both sides. With eviolite you can take 2-3 hits from moves swords dance speed boost and pass into a receiver and if you do it right you can even do it twice. I have found if you set up on the right pokemon with combusken and pass into something like Kanghaskan it is very easy to get a sweep. Flare blitz allows Combusken to KO threats that would otherwise prevent it from baton passing. As far as using a set without baton pass i wouldnt, even though you get decent coverage the power just isnt there. even at +2 you still struggle to 2HKO physical walls.

Sapphire.

Es gibt Licht, wo immer Sie sind
is a Contributor Alumnus
Using my regular account "Sapphire" on Pokemon Showdown.
Never played any NU battles on it yet so :p
Using: Leavanny, Klinklang, and Chatot.

Thanks Minus for letting me sign up even though they are closed. <3

Minus

lmao, alright, so i just did /rank on everybody and it looks like Magis4Life is our winner by far.

The discussion was pretty disappointing this time around, but it's alright since it's just the first week, and be sure to use FRESH alts when doing this! I'll get Week 2 started in a while.

It might be too late to post this, but Week 2 hasn't started up yet, so why not I suppose. After testing out chatot intensely, I began noticing that chatot best functions on teams with more balanced cores. The reason for this is that chatot is extremely frail and therefore needs teammates that can take on hits from anything faster or from priority. In particular, I paired chat orup with hariyama, vileplume, probopass and feraligatr and found that they could usually take hits incoming revenge killers like fire spammed such as typhlosion, priority from sneasel, shiftry, and fletchinder. I had mixed results with chatot overall. On the one hand it could devastate defensive teams at times, especially if the opposing poke hurt themselves in confusion as I was usually able to set up a substitute or nasty plot and proceed to wreck opposing teams with boomburst. However, against offensive teams chatot would have a hard time with Iits frailty and mediocre speed that doesn't even pass the 95 base speed benchmark that is so prevalent in nu. Nevertheless, boomburst is a very nice addition to chatot's movepool. With it, chatot can actually wallbreak effectively at times especially against defensive cores.

Here are some damage calcs with the move:
+2 252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 457-538 (110.3 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dragalge: 301-355 (90.1 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragalge: 225-265 (67.3 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+2 252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 286-337 (69.7 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ludicolo: 259-306 (71.1 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

After a nasty plot, chatot can 2hko or ohko most special walls or tanks that are prevalent in nu. The nasty plot set, i felt was the most effective set as i have found opportunities to set it up and wreck particularly balanced and stall teams after a +2. Also, chatot gets encore, which can be useful at times in gaining setup opportunity at times against pokemon like shiftry and locking him into sucker punch. Specs is also viable, though it wasn't as effective as nasty plot. This was the set I used:

Chatot@focus sash/Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SAtk/ 252 She
Nasty Plot
Boomburst
Chatter
Encore/Substitute

Chatter is also very, very annoying. I have even won games with this move alone due to confusion hax ending up in my favor. Overall, chatot requires a ton of support in defog/spin support and also benefits from sticky web, hazards support, and pokemon that can take hits for it and can especially wreck defensive/balanced teams under the right support while not being deadweight necessarily against the common offensive teams. However, chatot's greatest issue has and always been its frailty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)