XY OU Offensive Scolipede Team (1600s)

Is Scolipede broken without Baton Pass?

• Total voters
Team Preview:

Introduction:
This is the first serious non-Trick Room team I made, intended for the suspect ladder. I chose Scolipede because I wanted to see how it worked (and also because I spent 2 suspect threads hearing from WebBowser how broken Scolipede support is, which I agree with), making an Offensive set a pretty good starting place. The team was built to support Scolipede, covering weaknesses/threats it couldn't handle.

Teambuilding process:

The team started out with LO Scolipede, and from there I knew I would need Flyspam counter, and a durable entry hazard setter.

Hippowdon filled two of the above roles very nicely, acting as a physical wall and hazard setter. Next, I looked for a special wall/cleric since from experience status puts a lot of pressure on how I play.

Sylveon is here to act as a mixed wall/cleric, along with wish support since 2/3 of the team lacks any form of recovery. No longer is Thundurus a dire threat paralyzing anyone, and burns mean much less. Now that the defense of the team was done, I needed something to handle physical walls like Gliscor, Landorus, and Mandibuzz, as well as remove hazards (Sylveon sprite credit to Shiro Redfield).

Keldeo is my wallbreaker, taking out Physical walls like Landorus, Gliscor, as well as offensive threats like Balloon Excadrill, along with Chansey. Keldeo is probably my second favorite pokemon on the team, and takes reduced Stealth Rocks damage. The team was still vulnerable to pokemon like Amoongus and Mega Venusaur, and still lacked hazard control.

Latios came just in time, with very good offensive STAB to handle the aforementioned problem-pokemon. Latios can also go toe-to-toe with most defoggers, and avoid too much damage. However, since Latios is more specially based, I still didn't feel comfortable with Chansey, and at this point I was stumped for ~3 hours on who to add as my last member (I had already spent ~2 hours thinking up the team so far).

Bisharp came in as my Stall-hassler, particularly Chansey. Also, he acts as a defogger deterrent in the cases where I manage to get rid of their hazards but not mine. A good patch-up for the threats remaining for the team to deal with, and his weaknesses matched up well with the resists on the team.

As suggested by Srn, Hippowdon has been swapped out for Scarfed Tyranitar as my offensive Flyspam counter, and trapper. This (along with the Aegislash ban) removed the need for Bisharp, but meant I needed Hazards. Along came Mesprit, who sets rocks and also has Knock Off to bother Chanseys and item-reliant pokemon. Clefable was added as a second win condition, and stall breaker/hassler.

More changes incoming. Tyranitar's pursuit-trapping was fairly redundant with Scolipede, since it OHKO's all OU Psychics with Megahorn, and I needed a more reliable way to deal with Steel-types, which leads us to Scarf Magnezone (also missing Rock Slides is a pain), who can still deal with the flying-type pokemon that irritate this team. Mesprit didn't really have problems with it, I just needed a more offensive presence and Intimidate, so Landorus-T took that spot.

Slight change, Magnezone has been replaced by M-Manectric since Magnezone ended up being death fodder many times (Manectric is actualy faster and helps with the cleaning process). EV Changes as well.

The Team

Jiminy (Scolipede) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Protect
Scolipede is the star of the team, intended to deal finish off the opposing team while getting much MUCH faster. Life Orb along with Maximum Attack investment mean he's hitting as hard as possible. The Speed EVs are to beat Kyurem-B, and the rest are dumped into HP. Megahorn is his most powerful STAB, and gets pretty good coverage for most pokemon. Poison Jab is really to hit Fairys like Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Azumarill hard, and KO's Mega Charizard Y after SR damage. Earthquake rounds off the set, hitting pokemon who resist Megahorn and Poison Jab like Heatran and Magnezone. Protect is to ensure that Scolipede is faster than the opposing pokemon (at +1 it beats Max Investment Base-174s).
Notable Calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 330-390 (96.4 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 510-603 (168.8 - 199.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 439-523 (157.9 - 188.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 191-226 (64 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Sarabi (Manectric) (F) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Manectric is the Mega of the team, and is meant to open up opportunities for Scolipede to sweep by eliminating Flying and Steel-type pokemon. Volt Switch is for momentum while Thunderbolt is a more powerful STAB option that OHKOs troublesome pokemon like Keldeo and Pinsir. Flamethrower roasts Ferrothorn, Excadrill and Scizor, as well as threatens Pinsir pre-Mega evolving. Hidden Power Ice deals with Landorus forms and Gliscor, who are immune to Manectric's STAB. The EVs are meant to go as fast as possible while hitting hard, and Intimidate allows it to weaken physical attackers before switching into Landorus to weaken them further. I chose Manectric over Magnezone because everything that can switch into Magnezone (Landorus) cannot do so as easily for Manectric, and having a reliable answer to greninja leads is always fun. Flamethrower also hits harder than Hidden Power Fire, so trapping is exchanged for all-around effectiveness.

Photo Credit Here

Notable Calcs:
252 SpA Mega Manectric Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 320-378 (107.7 - 127.2%)
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 332-392 (122.5 - 144.6%)
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 306-360 (91.6 - 107.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (note this is specially defensive skarmory)
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 364-432 (106.1 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 308-364 (87.5 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (Also with Special Defense Investment)

Mufasa (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP / 48 Atk / 224 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Landorus-T was brought to do exactly what Mesprit was supposed to, but do it more offensively (trading Healing Wish for Intimidate). The given EVs are intended to allow Landorus to survive Bisharp's Knock Off after Stealth Rock, and OHKO. Earthquake is a reliable STAB that hurts coming off of uninvested attack. Knock Off is to cripple switch-ins, and U-turn is to pivot out on predicted switches. Stealth Rock are mandatory Hazards that the team lacks otherwise. Also, Landorus is a cat, not a dog.
Photo Credit Here

Notable Calcs:
48+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 308-366 (103.3 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 278-330 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
48+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 338-402 (124.2 - 147.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
while...
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 216 HP / 224 Def Landorus-T: 249-294 (66.7 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 216 HP / 224 Def Landorus-T: 160-190 (42.8 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 216 HP / 224 Def Landorus-T: 286-337 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Spirit (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Specs Keldeo is an absolute monster. EVs are fairly standard, go as fast as possible and hit hard. Scald is pretty spammable and most pokemon don't appreciate a burn. Secret Sword makes Chanseys quake in fear and Tyranitar/Bisharp even less inclined to switch in. Hydro Pump is useful to OHKO Mega Mawile, and also can be used against Charizard-Y under sun to OHKO after stealth rocks. Icy Wind is for Dragonite, Amoongus on the switch, and Garchomp. Very reliable, makes a good Healing Wish recipient, and can 2hko at worst most pokemon with the appropriate move, I love Keldeo.
Notable Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 236-278 (79.1 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 279-328 (91.7 - 107.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 470-554 (146.8 - 173.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 548-648 (77.8 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Nyooom (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe

- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog
Latios is also fairly standard, intended to hit hard and fast, with more liberty to switch moves. Psyshock was chosen to hit pokemon who are more specially defensive hard, as well as maim Venusaur and Amoongus. Draco Meteor acts as a nuke to hit non-resists very hard. HP Fighting is to handle normal Latios switch-ins like Bisharp and Tyranitar, which is difficult under sand. Defog isn't that hard to find a turn to use, since Latios forces plenty of switches.
Notable Calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 460-541 (106.4 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 283-338 (77.7 - 92.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (opens up room for it to be finished off by someone else)
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 374-439 (115.7 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 333-394 (84.5 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 289-341 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
while...
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 191-225 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ribbons 2.0 (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature

- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is awesome. I've always hated CM Clefable because there are so many things it can set up in front of and they can't do anything about it (Latios, Mandibuzz, Starmie, Landorus-T, most Fighting-types, etc), but thats exactly why I'm using it. The given EVs are intended to make Clefable a safe Greninja switch-in, and also allow it to take on Thundurus 1v1, while Leftovers are for passive recovery so I'm not as obliged to use Soft-Boiled. Moonblast is a reliable STAB, while Flamethrower deals with Steel-types who don't take much from Moonblast, and Calm Mind and Soft-Boiled are pretty self explanatory for boosting and staying healthy, respectively. Clefable functions as a stall-breaker, and is my second win-condition in cases where Scolipede can't manage to do much/misses megahorn.
Notable Calcs (what it can set up on):
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 161-191 (40.9 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 175-207 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 177-211 (45 - 53.6%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 165-196 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Threat List (S -> B-):
- VERY Dangerous, capable of doing significant damage even at +1. The Stall variant is relatively easy to take down though.
- Keldeo and Manectric outspeeds and can OHKO, Latios can as well with a bit of damage

- Also dangerous, Keldeo can OHKO with Hydro Pump after Rocks damage. (Possible ban?)

- Manectric, Clefable and Scolipede can check, but don't like Paralysis.
A+
- Scolipede can OHKO, Keldeo and Latios can act as checks to BD set, the latter OHKO-ing.
-Keldeo can handle it, Scolipede can OHKO, Clefable can survive an Iron Head and deal significant damage with any boost.
- Scolipede can OHKO with earthquake. Latios, Manectric, and Keldeo can threaten with SE moves. Sand Rush are troublesome, but Landorus can mostly handle them.
- Clefable can use ones lacking Iron Head as setup, Keldeo, Manectric, and Latios can outspeed and OHKO non-Scarf variants.
- Clefable can set up on, Manectric OHKOs assuming still water/ice type, Scolipede can outspeed at +1 and OHKO.
- Scolipede OHKOs with Megahorn, Keldeo resists STABs, although Bounce is a pain. Manectric can Threaten
- Latios can OHKO, Keldeo can bruise significantly with Secret Sword. Manectric.
- Manectric can come in on anything bar EQ and OHKO. With some HP left Latios can OHKO.
- Clefable and Manectric both threaten with Fire moves, Keldeo threatens with burns.
- Manectric OHKO's, but can get caught by roosting. Latios can also deal with them given some HP left.
- Keldeo and Scolipede both can OHKO, same for Mega.
- Latios can KO with a bit of damage, and Scolipede can handle a weakened one.
A
- Latios and Manectric can handle it, Scolipede can KO after rocks.
- CB sets are troublesome, but otherwise Keldeo, Manectric, Clefable, and Latios can all handle it once multiscale breaks.
- Flamethrower from Manectric and Clefable respectively, along with Secret Sword.
- Manectric outspeeds, Latios can speed-tie. Landorus hurts with Knock Off.
- Keldeo and Manectric can OHKO, Clefable uses all sets lacking taunt as setup fodder.
- Keldeo, Scolipede, and Landorus all threaten (last 2 once balloon dies).
- Keldeo and Latios can severely dent, Clefable can set up if lacking Whirlwind.
- Keldeo, Manectric, and Latios threaten, Clefable can set up on most sets.
- Latios can break, Manectric threatens, Clefable can set up on if lacking Whirlwind.
/
- Scolipede can OHKO, Manectric outspeeds and deals nice damage, Clefable sets up on. Landorus hurts with Knock Off.
- Doesn't appreciate switching into repeated attacks, Landorus can remove item.
- Latios and Scolipede outspeed non-scarfs and OHKOs, Keldeo can take most hits and OHKO, Clefable can set up if lacking coverage. Landorus can come in on most attacks.
A-
- Gotta sacrifice something to Spore, but otherwise most of the team can handle this.
- If Landorus can Knock Off the eviolite, this thing dies easily. Otherwise, Keldeo can Secret Sword.
- Keldeo STAB, Latios can dent severely.
- Scolipede OHKOs with Poison Jab but needs to protect first turn to outspeed.
- Errrr... I don't really know. Manectric and Latios Thunderbolt.
- Keldeo can Secret Sword, Latios Draco Meteor, Clefable can hit pretty hard. Scolipede can handle if ~50-60% left.
- Keldeo can hurt quite a bit, Manectric threatens leads with Flamethrower.
- I haven't run into one, so I'm not sure how I'd handle it. Manectric and Latios outspeed and cary SE moves.
- Keldeo and Latios threaten. Clefable can set up on if lacking Taunt/Whirwind. Manectric can dent but cannot switch into hazards repeatedly.
B+
-
Latios can OHKO, Scolipede can handle if weakened.
- Keldeo, Manectric (almost) and Latios outspeed and OHKO.
- Clefable doesn't take too much from Rock Blasts, Latios threatens.
- Keldeo resists STAB and can OHKO. Manectric threatens.
- Scolipede, Manectric, Keldeo, and Latios all threaten.
- My god these things are irritating. Scolipede, Landorus can all hurt.
- Latios/Manectric can hurt severely, Landorus outspeeds and can remove Damp Rock making the team easier to deal with.
- Latios can spam Draco Meteor, Keldeo can hurt a ton.
- Keldeo threatens a burn, Manectric and Clefable run Fire moves.
- Offensive variants lacking Poison Jab are setup for Clefable, Keldeo can spam Scald.
- Regenerator is a pain, but Latios can really dent with Draco Meteor. Megahorn also takes out a chunk. Manectric can OHKO after rocks.
- Suicune has to be dealt with before it starts setting up because its a pain otherwise.
- Generally low defenses mean a boosted Moonblast will do the trick. Scolipede can handle with Rocks and a bit of damage. Manectric outspeeds and OHKOs.
- Keldeo, Latios, and Manectric threaten depending on the set. Clefable can set up on.
B
-
Fast, threatening, but frail enough not to be too painful. If it lacks Hone Claws, Clefable can set up on.
- Latios can OHKO most with Psyshock, Clefable can set up on if lacking Poison Jab, Scolipede 4x resists STAB. Manectric can intimidate forcing switches.
- Mostly a matter of not getting caught in the wrong move at the wrong time. Scolipede OHKOs with Megahorn.
- Without Rain, Latios can OHKO.
- Landorus, Keldeo, and Scolipede can all OHKO.
- Intimidate is a pain, but general frailty makes it easy to pick off on the switch. Clefable can set up on.
- Scolipede can OHKO most with Earthquake and Hazard damage.

B-
- Scolipede and Keldeo both OHKO. Clefable sets up on if lacking SD.
- Scolipede can OHKO, just watch out to give it Speed Boost.
- Like most regenerator pokemon, wear down slowly. Manectric threatens.
- Scolipede/Landorus OHKOs with Earthquake, Latios can OHKO as well.
- Setup for Clefable.
- Keldeo can outspeed, but must watch out for Banded E-Speed.
- Keldeo can OHKO, Clefable can set up on but somewhat risky.
- Rocks wear it down, risky to switch into but Manectric can OHKO.
- Scolipede Poison Jab, Clefable can set up in front of most sets.
- Keldeo can spam water moves, Landorus can survive a V-Create and Knock Off for SE damage.
- Frailty lets Scolipede, Manectric, and Keldeo OHKO, Clefable can set up on if lacking SD.

The rest are coming later as I find time

Replays:
Healing Wish Power
Scolipede 'cleans'
Scolipede 'cleans' some more

Past Team Members:
Gone but not forgotten...

I still love you Mesprit ;_;
Importable
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Protect

Sarabi (Manectric) (F) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Ribbons 2.1 (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Attachments

Last edited:
It appears to be a well made team overall, but I do not think the scolipede bluff will work against experienced players. Your teammates are known for being fast revenge killers and threats as opposed to setup sweepers, which is what any BP scoli set, SD or ID is designed to support. Looking at your team, it seems fairly obvious that scolipede is intended to be either a cleaner or SD sweeper due to a lack of any other setup sweepers to take advantage of his support(Bisharp is the notable exception). Consider testing rock slide for nailing Talonflame swap ins, as tflame is a hard stop to this set and has a free swap in for most BP sets. Luring out talonflame and killing it will also be a great boon to the rest of your team, as hippo is pretty much the only guy who really has a positive matchup (Bisharp is a 50/50, the rest are pretty darn negetive).

NP thundy-I may also pose some issues, and RP lando-I has the potential to outright sweep. Beware.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Aight this is a super cool team, but there are a few things i'd fix with it first.

To stop flyspam, namely talonflame, I'd recommend a scarf tyranitar over a hippowdon. This way, your team truly takes a more offensive approach and hippo won't stop your momentum as much. Tyranitar can easily pursuit trap talonflame, revenge mega pinsir, and force thundurus to t-wave it (or even catch them by surprise and just kill them straight up!)
However, we lose out on rocks, but fear not this is an easy to fix problem. All we need to do is replace sylveon with a clefable and put rocks on that. I'd prefer magic guard because soft boiled only takes up one moveslots as opposed to two (unaware should run wish+protect), which gives room for flamethrower. Clefable wants this so it can lure in and wreck some pesky steel types like ferrothorn and scizor, which scolipede can't remove with eq. So moonblast/rocks/soft boiled/flamethrower. CM would be nice, but rocks are more important; unless you feel like you can deal with ferro and zor on your own and that CM is that much better :/ (I dont) I don't think an HO team really needs the wish support that sylveon brings anyways.
To help again just lure in and wreck those stupid steel types blocking scolipede's path of destruction, I'd like to see hp fire over tbolt on latios. Poison Jab already OHKOs azumarill and psyshock already does a clean 65%~ to a BD azu, so I think we can keep it weakened down to that.
As for scolipede itself, I find that the extra bulk really isn't that helpful, and you can outpace kyu-b too so why not. I'd rather just do that; 232 evs in speed is required for this. You can say that you have protect n all but that thing could sub, and that means serious trouble; i'd rather just be able to bop the man with a megahorn and be done.

Finally, I gotta say I definitely agree that I have no idea what bisharp does. Its not even the pursuit trapping variant to remove aegislash (whom you carry eq for regardless), and since we're now carrying a much more effective pursuit trapper in tyranitar, we really have no need for it. If I ever have a free slot in a team seriously just slap on an AV azu its so goddam good but that'd make us a little too mega venu weak. At this point i personally feel like we lack a revenge killer so hey we could either go with LO sand rush exca which works off of the sand scarf tar provides and helps pressure lando-t for scolipede. However, I also feel like this team is a bit weak to stall; if you feel like you can prevent mons from setting up or feel like scolipede is a good enough revenge killer, by all means i'd like to try to pressure stall by adding on a kyu-b. This way, you definitely just dismantle rotom-w/lando-t cores and basically anything else stall has to throw at you sans chansey and a few others.

Love seeing scolipede in action, he's a great cleaner that doesn't get much attention. Nice work on the team!

EDIT: Oh my 600th post ^_^

Last edited:
Ok, so I'ma reply to both of you now before I start playing around with the team, because I've got a few questions.

NP thundy-I may also pose some issues, and RP lando-I has the potential to outright sweep.
You both are probably more well versed in what these threats do, because I've got no idea what they generally run. I know they've got STAB and Thundy has HP ice probably, but for Landorus I'm at a loss (Psychic and Focus Blast??). Might make dealing with them easier if/when I run into them.

Srn9130 I like the change to offensive tactics, Hippowdon was starting to get on my nerves a bit since I wanted to run whirlwind but I couldn't find much room for it. Tyranitar seems like a better option, especially since its faster. I've got a question though: Couldn't Clefable be used as the stallbreaker, which opens up room for something else (preferably with knock off) to set rocks? Kyurem-B doesn't really appeal much to me from past experiences with it (rocks weakness is most of why I hate it) and Chansey was 80% of the reason why I ran bisharp in the first place, and Kyu-B can't really take it on/get rid of Eviolite so something else could handle it. Mesprit seems like it could be an interesting choice, with Healing Wish/Stealth Rocks support and decent speed, along with U-turn and Knock Off , although I'm not sure how viable it would be

EDIT: I did not mean to hit post, sorry if this doesn't make sense, I will edit it as I realize what I meant to say.

EDIT#2: Is rock slide an acceptable switch for stone edge, since everything I'm trying to kill with it is OHKO-ed either way, and I don't miss on any other Ohkos except zapdos, and thats after rocks (and not guaranteed)

EDIT#3: Since I'm still here, I'll post the other sets in case I'm missing anything. Mesprit is more what I'm looking for responses on, its mostly just an idea and I'm open to suggestions.​
Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Healing Wish

Gordon (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Ribbons 2.0 (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Ok, so I'ma reply to both of you now before I start playing around with the team, because I've got a few questions.

You both are probably more well versed in what these threats do, because I've got no idea what they generally run. I know they've got STAB and Thundy has HP ice probably, but for Landorus I'm at a loss (Psychic and Focus Blast??). Might make dealing with them easier if/when I run into them.

Srn9130 I like the change to offensive tactics, Hippowdon was starting to get on my nerves a bit since I wanted to run whirlwind but I couldn't find much room for it. Tyranitar seems like a better option, especially since its faster. I've got a question though: Couldn't Clefable be used as the stallbreaker, which opens up room for something else (preferably with knock off) to set rocks? Kyurem-B doesn't really appeal much to me from past experiences with it (rocks weakness is most of why I hate it) and Chansey was 80% of the reason why I ran bisharp in the first place, and Kyu-B can't really take it on/get rid of Eviolite so something else could handle it. Mesprit seems like it could be an interesting choice, with Healing Wish/Stealth Rocks support and decent speed, along with U-turn and Knock Off , although I'm not sure how viable it would be

EDIT: I did not mean to hit post, sorry if this doesn't make sense, I will edit it as I realize what I meant to say.

EDIT#2: Is rock slide an acceptable switch for stone edge, since everything I'm trying to kill with it is OHKO-ed either way, and I don't miss on any other Ohkos except zapdos, and thats after rocks (and not guaranteed)

EDIT#3: Since I'm still here, I'll post the other sets in case I'm missing anything. Mesprit is more what I'm looking for responses on, its mostly just an idea and I'm open to suggestions.​
Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Healing Wish

Gordon (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Ribbons 2.0 (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
I honestly dunno about the mesprit lol, its only 80 base speed or something; even with max speed I don't like that.
Clefable i'd kinda like it to be a wallbreaker set too, that's what I would've done but rocks is far more important, and clefable is actually good at keeping them up so its that much better. If you do want to go the wallbreaker path tho I insist upon kyu-b its really great; I honestly dunno what you're talking about with that unable to break through chansey part just pop it with an outrage :] I'd run some set like LO with 4 attacks; a wallbreakers gotta wallbreak after all get alla dat coverage; something like outrage/fusion bolt/ice beam/earth power is what i'd try, you could stuff in hp fire or iron head for anything specific if you like too.

Ok, so Ive been playing around with the team and I've found a few things (5 to be exact):

1) I really REALLY dont like Kyu-B. I don't know why, its just not working for me. Also, it makes the team even weaker to Mega Mawile. So, sorry Srn but its just not meant to be. ;___; Mega mawile. Which leads to #2...
2) Mesprit is working surprisingly well??? I don't know people don't really know what its supposed to do so I've gotten a few surprise Knock Offs on Chanseys, Its reasonably bulky and can survive a few non-STAB dark/ghost attacks, not to mention Healing Wish is good if Mesprit is alive by the end and I need to heal something quick. (and being able to run CM clefable is awesome there isn't a battle so far where it doesn't contribute). I don't know, more on mesprit later.
3) Tyranitar is something I love and hate, I can't run sand stream because nothing on the team bar Clefable doesn't lose from sand, and with all the life orbs that means a lot of unnecessary recoil, but that also means I don't get the special defense boost so I can't switch into things as often as I'd like. However, It's saved my butt in quite a few battles with surprise scarfs, so I dunno.
4) Fire moves on Latios and Clefable are proving to make Ferrothorn and Scizor much easier to handle, and Skarmory gets killed either way. Hooray for that, Scolipede is sweeping much more consistently (actually, clefable is doing most of the sweeping Scolipede doesn't even come out some battles).
5) Charizard-X is capable of virtually destroying this team with 1 dragon dance, which is really bad because I can't seem to figure out which one it is before its mega-evolved and by then its already got its dance (and unless keldeo is in beforehand or scolipede already is at +1 this is a problem). I kinda miss Hippo for this, but thats the price of going more offensive I guess.

So, with that all said I'm going to update the OP with the team as it stands, hopefully this will help people just coming in give more suggestions.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
Ok, so Ive been playing around with the team and I've found a few things (5 to be exact):

1) I really REALLY dont like Kyu-B. I don't know why, its just not working for me. Also, it makes the team even weaker to Mega Mawile. So, sorry Srn but its just not meant to be. ;___; Mega mawile. Which leads to #2...
2) Mesprit is working surprisingly well??? I don't know people don't really know what its supposed to do so I've gotten a few surprise Knock Offs on Chanseys, Its reasonably bulky and can survive a few non-STAB dark/ghost attacks, not to mention Healing Wish is good if Mesprit is alive by the end and I need to heal something quick. (and being able to run CM clefable is awesome there isn't a battle so far where it doesn't contribute). I don't know, more on mesprit later.
3) Tyranitar is something I love and hate, I can't run sand stream because nothing on the team bar Clefable doesn't lose from sand, and with all the life orbs that means a lot of unnecessary recoil, but that also means I don't get the special defense boost so I can't switch into things as often as I'd like. However, It's saved my butt in quite a few battles with surprise scarfs, so I dunno.
4) Fire moves on Latios and Clefable are proving to make Ferrothorn and Scizor much easier to handle, and Skarmory gets killed either way. Hooray for that, Scolipede is sweeping much more consistently (actually, clefable is doing most of the sweeping Scolipede doesn't even come out some battles).
5) Charizard-X is capable of virtually destroying this team with 1 dragon dance, which is really bad because I can't seem to figure out which one it is before its mega-evolved and by then its already got its dance (and unless keldeo is in beforehand or scolipede already is at +1 this is a problem). I kinda miss Hippo for this, but thats the price of going more offensive I guess.

So, with that all said I'm going to update the OP with the team as it stands, hopefully this will help people just coming in give more suggestions.
In that case, you could definitely try lo sand rush exca over kyu-b if you find that its not too useful. This would also combat the char-x problem, just keeping sand up without a smooth rock may be annoying

(I'm sorry for my incompetence guys I've got several one more question)
I've been playing with the team, switching between Sand Stream on tyranitar&excadrill vs unnerve&mesprit, and I've come to love and hate both versions.
1) Mesprit is very consistent, but doesn't contribute outside of knock off and healing wish. I know thats what I added it for, but I just wish it would surprise me once in a while. Although I'm pleased it can survive LO greninja's dark pulse.
2) Sand rush excadrill is meh, it doesn't get a lot done with limited sand turns (and the focus of the team isn't to keep sand up, so there's that). I don't know.
3) Bellyjet azumarill is still a massive threat, and since my 'checks' can't OHKO or KO after it belly dances means several things go down.
4) Thundurus is a pain to deal with. That is all, paralysis hurts a lot and I've only got one mesprit, plus its coverage/STAB OHKO's most of the team with investment. errrr....

So, I was thinking about adding a scarfed magnezone to handle birdspam instead of tyranitar, which eliminates the need to run HP Fire on Latios so I can run thunderbolt to OHKO azumarill (it does lose to jolly though but so did tyranitar). And now we have that dreaded last spot that I can never manage to deal with adequately, although I'd love to have CM Clefable back so I'm looking into rocks setters (although mixed thundurus seems like a good choice with prankster).

R2D2 (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

HIGH VOLTAGE (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

EDIT: Fixed up (hopefully) that first paragraph. I'm unsure about thundurus.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, first off, congrats getting to 1.6K. So if I read your paragraph right (I may not have, I'm tired and your paragraph was a wee bit confusing), you are looking to replace mespirit and ttar with zone and thundy, correct? Thundy is feeling kinda redundant tbh, you got tbolt latios for fast special hitters and scarfzone for countering flyspam, a third user of electricity is just going to leave your entire team hardwalled by hippo the moment keldeo goes down, not to mention rather weak to chansey in general (especially the twave variants, who can take a hit from ur scoli and paralyze back). I think your rock setter can take thundy's place. As for who, I dunno, I suck at getting rocks up (part of the reason why I always run gimmicky teams). Maybe SR Terrakion for your physical attacking needs? Maybe u-turn + SR Gliscor as a defensive pivot? Lando-T could also work as a defensive pivot if you want something with a little more offensive presence. Lando-I also works if you want to stack up on that special attack.

*edit*

Note that since aegis has left and megamaw is on it's way out, many a megapinsir have started to run CC instead of EQ. Obviously, this wrecks your ttar and zone if you try to swap them into it. beware.

Really interesting team to run against the almost staple sand meta. It's fun to bluff what kind of Tyranitar (considering you have Scolipede its hard for others to predict scarf) as well as bluff the Scolipede BP, which still pulls out consistent results at 1850 on the OU ladder.

I agree that Charizard as well as other physical threats such as Mawile clear through this team if you aren't prepared. You are forced to play very risky to stay one step ahead to make sure they don't set up on you which would almost always result in a sweep on your team. However like WebBowser stated, Landorus-T really can play a larger role on this team in providing a better lead as well as check to the two largest threats on your list.

My suggestion for a set to run would probably revolve around what role your Mesprit plays now; get in set up rocks and leave with as little damage as possible. It would also have a secondary role as well though. I would have it come in to check Charizard X as well as Bisharp and Mawile. Keeping a Landorus-T healthy is not very hard to do in the scheme of a battle and would make a better pivot switch as well as present better opportunities to set up rocks on this team. I found Mespirt trapped a lot of the time I used it and was almost forced to make it a suicide lead.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Stealth Rock
Knock Off
Earthquake
Stone Edge/U Turn

The EVs are there to make sure you can live a knock off from Bisharp after Stealth Rock damage. 20 Speed to outspeed defensive Landorus and 48 Attack to help do as much damage as possible when needed. The move pool is honestly up to whatever you feel more comfortable running. I prefer U Turn to allow momentum after setting up rocks or even useful when predicting a double switch. Also handy because of your low speed to get a slower turn off when paired up against a scarfed Landorus. Leftovers to just maximize it's living potential.

Defense Capabilities
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 216 HP / 224 Def Landorus-T: 249-294 (66.7 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 216 HP / 224 Def Landorus-T: 160-190 (42.8 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 216 HP / 224 Def Landorus-T: 286-337 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Earthquake
48+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 308-366 (103.3 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
48+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 278-330 (91.4 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
48+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 338-402 (124.2 - 147.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Knock Off
48+ Atk Landorus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 264-312 (87.4 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
48+ Atk Landorus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 330-390 (125.9 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now if you are concerned with losing your Healing Wish, I'd consider running Latios over Latias then. However considering I just spend an hour working on one pokemon here I think I'll call it for now. You should see an improvement in the flow of your team and also feel a little safer when seeing a charizard at team preview.

Now if you are concerned with losing your Healing Wish, I'd consider running Latios over Latias then. However considering I just spend an hour working on one pokemon here I think I'll call it for now. You should see an improvement in the flow of your team and also feel a little safer when seeing a charizard at team preview.
You mean latias over latios, right? Latios gets memento (on a side note, I've been having a lot of fun with duel screens + memento latios lately, works great with ID pass scoli).

You mean latias over latios, right? Latios gets memento (on a side note, I've been having a lot of fun with duel screens + memento latios lately, works great with ID pass scoli).
I just face palmed so hard. It was so late when I wrote that last night. I'm curious about the memento set though, I will definitely have to give that a shot.

Hey there, really solid team you've got there! There is really nothing much for me to say, since many people before me had already said what is necessary. I do have some changes to propose to the EV spreads of some mons, however.

Firstly Latios. Latios is your team's only answer to CharY, but without a recovery move in Roost or Recover, its gonna get worned down really quickly. Because of this, I suggest running 64 SpDef to better handle CharY (and regular Landorus as well). You see, since you're running HP Fire, you will not be speed tying with other Latios anyway, so running 244 Speed to outspeed Keldeo, Terrakion, etc is more than sufficient. This is the spread:
Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 SpA / 64 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Next, you should run more SpDef on your Clefable as well, to survive 2 hydro pumps from Greninja (one regular hydro, another after a CM, so you could softboiled up directly after). I'm not taking credit for this spread, this is Scy's Clefable spread that I got from his RMT. Anyway, here it is:
Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 232 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

That is all, hope I helped!

Firstly Latios. Latios is your team's only answer to CharY, but without a recovery move in Roost or Recover, its gonna get worned down really quickly. Because of this, I suggest running 64 SpDef to better handle CharY (and regular Landorus as well). You see, since you're running HP Fire, you will not be speed tying with other Latios anyway, so running 244 Speed to outspeed Keldeo, Terrakion, etc is more than sufficient.
Or just switch in Scarfed Tyranitar predicting the Fire Blast. I do agree about the decrease in speed however. Instead though I would keep the 252 SpAtk and put the remainder into HP.

Oh wow, people are actually reading this rmt... (also sorry I haven't been replying to those who responded earlier I've been in the process of moving and haven't had access to reliable wifi)

chipsquared thanks for the landorus set (I'm assuming you meant Adamant instead of Impish since that's what you used in the calcs), I've been trying to find one for the inevitable switch from mesprit to something else. I tried it out and its working well, thank you for spending all that time on getting those EVs to work. Its also a more reliable switch-in to sand rush excadrill, which is always a plus since it laughed at most of the team.

CraftyInsight Thanks for clefable set, I've gotten pretty lucky with Hydro Pump's accuracy lately but I'll be sure to give your set a go. Also, since I'm probably replacing tyranitar with magenzone, I'm no longer running HP Fire so I don't have to worry about imperfect IVs (hooray speed-tying). This does make Charizard a bit more problematic, but scolipede does 64-76% on it which is reliable if they don't roost up. Which I admit is risky thing to depend on but by the end of the game charizard is bound to have taken some damage. (Also, worst case scenario Keldeo can possibly OHKO charizard Y if it switches into Secret Sword when Stealth Rocks are up).

Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated (also I don't usually use specialized EV sets so these make me feel official).

ps: I'm adding the updated importable to this post, so if you find any glaring problems with it I'd be more than happy to hear them before I update the OP.

Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Protect

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

R2-D2 (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Ribbons 2.1 (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 232 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey Mango Smoothie pretty cool team! I'm liking Protect Offensive Scolipede, especially with the support of Mega Manectric and Landorus-t to get rid of bird spam, giving Scolipede a way to clean up. I have just a few minor suggestions that I feel would make this team a bit more solid. First off Bisharp looks like a really really big threat. You have one switch-in, Keldeo, who takes a hefty chunk from Knock Off and is later knocked out by Sucker Punch as two of your teammates boost Bisharp for free, meaning they can't switch in. To patch this weakness a bit I would suggest Hidden Power [Fighting] on your Latios over Thunderbolt. While Thunderbolt does hit Azumarill hard the most common set is Assault Vest and Psyshock already does more hitting on the physically defensive side. Hidden Power [Fighting] gives you a nice surprise for any Bisharp trying to catch the Defog boost as well as weakens Tyranitar for Mega Manectric to have some fun.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog

Since Landorus-T is your number one answer to Bird spam, being the best switch-in you since recovery in Leftovers I would suggest running Rock Slide over Knock Off. While missing out on the ability to cripple opponents you now have a reliable way of getting rid of Talonflame as well as Mega Pinsir allowing Scolipede and easier sweep.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

My final suggestion would be a bit of a spread change to Clefable. As of right now Greninja is a huge threat to your team, being able to come in and basically nab a knock out. By adding a bit of special defense to Calm Mind Clef, it becomes a great Greninja as well as reliable Thundurus switch-in, not being 2HK0'd by either. The extra bulk also gives it an easier time setting up.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature

- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Anyway that's all i've got. Cool team! Hope i helped. :]

thanks aim for the suggestions, Ive been trying them out for the past few days and here are the results:

Latios: HP Fighting is a great swap, especially if they want to try pursuit-trapping instead of sucker punch. Although, imperfect speed IVs mean I'm running the 244 speed set from CraftyInsight 's post above. Good switch, skarmory are a bit more troublesome to deal with but thats fine

Landorus-T: Rock Slide is a blessing to have, but losing Knock Off is a pain. I dont know how much I'd go for swapping U-turn out, but I dunno I'm feel like I'm missing something without Knock Off.

Clefable: The set is pretty effective, I haven't had major work I've had to do with it but its getting the job done. My only concern is I lose the ability to set up on pokemon like Landorus and Starmie with the lessened physical defense investment. Kyurem-B is much fun to set up on. More on that later.

EDIT: Well that was quick, clefable is still awesome.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)