Kilgore (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 142 HP / 150 Atk / 216 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Taunt

- Bounce

- Waterfall

Gyarados fits nicely into the defensive chemistry of the team. Intimidate slows down many physical threats and may force switches. The typing works nicely as well adding resistances to Fire and Fighting. Gyarados forces Heatran and Mamoswine out and holds its own against many other threats such as Terrakion, Excadrill, Breloom, Gliscor, and Tyranitar. Taunt is useful for shutting down setup and status moves from Gliscor and Skarmory. Many times Gyarados forces a switch and either racks up chip damage or provides an opportunity to double switch. If the rest of the team has taken out common threats, Gyarados can boost up and sweep for a victory. Sneaking in a dragon dance can lead to knocking out other threats that typically outspeed Gyrarados such as Gengar, Gardvoir and Charizard. Venusaur can cover Gyarados's major weakness to electricity.

Sierra (Venusaur) (F) @ Venusaurite

Ability: Chlorophyll

EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 152 SpD / 8 Spe

Bold Nature

- Leech Seed

- Synthesis

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

Venusaur is a defensive power house that provides part of the defensive core to the team. The bold nature and EV spread provide good balance against many threats while synthesis provides necessary recovery. Giga drain and sludge bomb are two powerful STABS that allow Venusaur to survive and wear down the opponent. Giga drain is useful against Rotom, Keldeo and Azumarill, while Sludge bomb nails fairy types like Clefable, and Gardevoir. What is nice is that even though many opponents are not hit super effectively, Venusaur can still go toe to toe with them with its recovery from giga drain and synthesis. Leech seed helps with switches as it can provide recovery for team mates and force switches. Venusaur's weaknesses to Flying and Psychic moves are covered by Skarmory and Umbreon respectively.

Honzo (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Guts

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Brave Nature

- Knock Off

- Ice Punch

- Mach Punch

- Drain Punch

Conkeldurr provides a great mix of offense and defense. The overall defensive make up of the team can lead to strategic switching throughout the match. Using knockoff on the switch can rob the other team of its items and can even score a KO on an unsuspecting psychic type. Guts provides protection to Gyarados and others from status effects. Drain punch is for recovery while mach punch can clean up weakened pokemon. Mach punch is also nice because it gives Conkeldurr the opportunity to revenge kill Greninja or force it out. Ice punch can catch ground and dragon types that try to switch in (and venusaur before it mega evolves).

Dagger (Skarmory) (F) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

Impish Nature

- Roost

- Stealth Rock

- Whirlwind

- Brave Bird

Skarmory is the defensive tank for the team and relies on stealth rock and rocky helmet to accumulate damage. Roost is necessary for recovery. Whirlwind provides an opportunity to get more stealth rock damage and a double switch opportunity when applicable. Brave bird can do good damage to venusaur, heracross, pinsir, and fighting types. Skarmory's weaknesses to fire can be covered by Umbreon and even gyarados if the right opportunity presents itself. Its weakness to electricity is covered by Venusaur.

Curt (Umbreon) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Synchronize

EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD

Calm Nature

- Wish

- Heal Bell

- Toxic

- Foul Play

Umbreon is an underappreciated special wall that adds second chance opportunities and switching to the team. Wish is great to heal itself but also to set up a safe switch to another pokemon. Heal bell heals burn or poison if a mistake is made. Synchronize can be used to poison others and then heal yourself (can happen with magic bounce). Foul play is the trump card and can devastate attacks who try to boost. Toxic can be used to wall opponents. Umbreon's weakness to fighting and fairy is covered by venusaur while its weakness to bug is covered by Skarmory.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Hidden Power [Fire]

- Thunderbolt

- Psyshock

- Draco Meteor

Latios is the revenge killer for the team. It's good speed and coverage can take out many threats that would otherwise bother the team. Draco Meteor can take out weakened opponents with neautral coverage and does good damage otherwise. HP fire is for Scizor and Ferrothorn. Thunderbolt is for Greninja, Charizard Pinsir and Talonflame. Psyshock can take out Venusaur, and Gengar.

Would appreciate your thoughts and comments especially on EV spreads and moves. I would also like to hear thoughts on potential substitutes to deal with the ORAS threats.

Thank you!

You have a lot of defensive presence with this team with the ultimate goal of boosting a Gyrados but the issue is that you don't have any defog or rapid spins support so you might get worn down in the interim trying to find out when you can switch Gyrados out. I suggest you switch out one of Latios's moves for Defog that way you can keep the comp you have but also have the option of getting rid of entry hazards. Even wearing a choice scarf it might still be worthwhile over Psyshock. Additionally you could swap out Drain Punch on Conk for Stone edge and have Latios drop thunderbolt as that will protect you against all threats listed besides Talonflame of which Umbreon or Gyrados can handle + you are running assault vest so you should be able to tank Charizards/Greninjas special attacks. Pinsir should lose out to Skarmory.

Is there any reason you don't have all your EVS on Umbreon placed in SPD? You have a fairly solid physical wall in Skarmory/Venasaur.

Thank you for your feedback. I will have to try the defog variant on Latios. I have had some success dealing with entry hazards better than opponents with wish and other recovery tools. I just need to be able to keep rocks up. I guess the question would be in what instances if any would be ok to not have defog or spin? It has been awhile since I made the EVS but I think I gave Umbreon Def so it could deal with physical threats with foul play. I think it may have been Talonflame, Garchomp, and Excadrill.

I put a guide at the bottom, it is a short guide to when removal is necessary, but I would argue since Gyrados is Flying he is going to take too much damage to want to switch into it, if you are going for a sweep. What I was more concerned about is that you will be forcing a lot of switches for your opponent but as will you be switching quite a bit. Granted you have a lot of ways of recovery on this team it shouldn't be critical BUT you don't want to be wanting for a removal move when you fight a stall team that set up stickyweb/ spikes/ poison spikes/ stealthrock. I just suggest since it is a very capable poke to do it that it atleast has it.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000457-pokemon-x-y-battling/69318122

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)