XY OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY (MAKING A NEW THREAD)

Bagon

Banned deucer.
Um. I was saying zapdos was something that has reliable recovery as an electric type, not that it performs the same role.

Reactions: Muk
Zapdos is a thing
Got 502'd before I could change that to "relevant offensive Electric-type", which is what the examples provided were leaning toward, what hey can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't have a ton of time because I'm at work, but:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-ou-viability-ranking-thread-v2.3502428/page-86#post-5466917

Just replace the word "rank" with "analysis."
Isn't the purpose of these analyses to inform players about Pokemon that could consistently perform a solid, relevant and unique role on their team? Assuming that's correct, what would be the harm in giving justice to a Pokemon that's already proven to be worth settling for? People can vouch for Mantine's utility, uniqueness, and effectiveness, so why deny others of information about it?

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that the principle denying Donphan of OU viability cannot be completely applied to Mantine. Donphan is a physically defensive Ground-type that's also capable spinning--this much has been established for two generations--but let's break this down a bit. When a player is searching for a bulky Ground, they're in need of a Pokemon that can check a specific group of Pokemon. Those Pokemon are usually very powerful threats whose main offensive options have few drawbacks; this means that Donphan absolutely needs the ability to heal, or else it won't be able to keep up with the offensive pressure being placed on it. Additionally, aggression is usually the most effective means of downing said threats, as they either have a means of getting around Toxic, or can become very dangerous if provided with weak setup fodder. This creates a bit of controversy with Donphan's "best" EV spread, leaving it with very little room for defensive versatility. So what do you end up with? A very straightforward Pokemon that can't even consistently satisfy its single purpose. Because of that fact, Donphan will always pale in comparison to its competition.

Mantine doesn't suffer from most of those problems, as the combination of Water Absorb, respectable defensive capabilities, Haze, and Scald (don't bring up Scald Gyarados, thx) save it from being completely overshadowed by the option of simply running two Pokemon that achieve the same goal. To keep things short, how often is it that stall teams come across a Pokemon capable of beating Crocune, Rain Dance Manaphy, Calm Mind Keldeo, and Lando-I? Moreover, of those possible choices, how many of them can be used as hazard control? As far as being a Defogger is concerned, because Mantine won't be taking much damage from the mons it's switching into--because it actually gets free turns, it being SR-weak doesn't hamper its ability to Defog that much.

Don't analyses of Pokemon relegated to lower tiers deviate from standard cores, anyway? A lot of non-cookie-cutter defensive cores really appreciate what Mantine brings to the table; and I feel as if that's enough to justify it getting the same justice that Pokemon in similar situations (Snorlax, Froslass, and, riding on the VT, Empoleon--because we all know how single-minded and, well, bad they are) have gotten already.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
taunt toxic gliscor set is needed. pretty self-explanatory, just putting that up for reservation.

i'm also fine with mantine, it has a usable niche handling various things and defog is really good. someone can take that, experience at least on higher ladder required.

alomomola maybe? it got a couple wcop uses and it's decent, difficult to break/wear down with regen + wish, the combo of which means it can often pass to a teammate without worry about itself. the biggest thing against it is that it's passive af, its scalds don't even do shit to super effective targets, let alone neutral ones. i've used it a little bit before and it proved not to be total shit, idk any thoughts about it?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
taunt toxic gliscor set is needed. pretty self-explanatory, just putting that up for reservation.

i'm also fine with mantine, it has a usable niche handling various things and defog is really good. someone can take that, experience at least on higher ladder required.

alomomola maybe? it got a couple wcop uses and it's decent, difficult to break/wear down with regen + wish, the combo of which means it can often pass to a teammate without worry about itself. the biggest thing against it is that it's passive af, its scalds don't even do shit to super effective targets, let alone neutral ones. i've used it a little bit before and it proved not to be total shit, idk any thoughts about it?
About the gliscor set, are you referring to the spdef set with roost, eq, taunt, and toxic? I saw pokeaim use it recently and it did very well in his battle.

So I'm probably stepping into it here, but I really don't like this thing, lol.
Furthermore, I'd like to point out that the principle denying Donphan of OU viability cannot be completely applied to Mantine. Donphan is a physically defensive Ground-type that's also capable spinning--this much has been established for two generations--but let's break this down a bit. When a player is searching for a bulky Ground, they're in need of a Pokemon that can check a specific group of Pokemon. Those Pokemon are usually very powerful threats whose main offensive options have few drawbacks; this means that Donphan absolutely needs the ability to heal, or else it won't be able to keep up with the offensive pressure being placed on it. Additionally, aggression is usually the most effective means of downing said threats, as they either have a means of getting around Toxic, or can become very dangerous if provided with weak setup fodder. This creates a bit of controversy with Donphan's "best" EV spread, leaving it with very little room for defensive versatility. So what do you end up with? A very straightforward Pokemon that can't even consistently satisfy its single purpose. Because of that fact, Donphan will always pale in comparison to its competition.
I honestly don't get this whole paragraph. You mention two things that Donphan can do and then assume that since it isn't great at one of its jobs (being a bulky Ground-type), it therefore isn't worth the teamslot. By that logic, couldn't I just say that since Mantine isn't a great special wall, it's bad too? Fact is, Donphan doesn't just have a single purpose. It has multiple purposes just like Mantine does, it's just that it's not especially good at any of them and therefore ends up being a mediocre Pokemon overall.

Mantine doesn't suffer from most of those problems, as the combination of Water Absorb, respectable defensive capabilities, Haze, and Scald (don't bring up Scald Gyarados, thx) save it from being completely overshadowed by the option of simply running two Pokemon that achieve the same goal.
Not only is Donphan a physically bulky Ground-type, but it also has Rapid Spin, Knock Off, Ice Shard for picking off weakened Garchomps or Dragonites or something, and even Stealth Rock to further support its team. Is it great at any of those particular jobs? Not really, no. It has no reliable recovery to really wall things over the course of the game, it's Ice Shard is really weak, and it often wants five moveslots so that it can spin, use priority, support with Stealth Rock, hit things with Earthquake, get coverage against Talonflame and friends with Stone Edge, and Knock Off opponents all at the same time. It has a lot of perks that in theory should add up to be something good, but it's so mediocre at all of its jobs that it's actually better in practice to just run multiple Pokemon to perform those jobs and more with greater efficiency.

This is the problem you have with Mantine. Yeah, it can sort of take on a few specific threats, and it has a couple of neat support moves, but that doesn't automatically make it good. Not all of its perks are even that big of a deal. Water Absorb isn't that great when you already laugh at special Water moves anyway, and some Water-types like Azumarill, Rotom-W, and Mega Gyarados generally beat you regardless. Haze is usually inferior to phazing except in last Pokemon scenarios (and I guess beating mini Baton Pass chains?) because phazing can both remove the boosts and cause the opponent to lose momentum and possibly take hazard damage, so Gyarados has an advantage there anyway. Scald is cool, but nearly every Water-type gets Scald, lol. Not really that much of an accomplishment. But again, if the combination of a bunch of small traits that can save you a teamslot were such a huge deal, then Donphan would have an analysis right now.

To keep things short, how often is it that stall teams come across a Pokemon capable of beating Crocune, Rain Dance Manaphy, Calm Mind Keldeo, and Lando-I?
Okay, so I'd like to take a closer look at these threats. First of all, neither Crocune nor Rain Dance Manaphy are all that common. Suicune sees about half as much usage needed to achieve the minimum to make OU, and while Manaphy is used a bit more (still under OU usage), the vast majority don't even run Calm Mind. While both sets may be plenty good, they aren't exactly threats that are running rampant in OU that stall is desperate to defeat. Besides, I have literally never lost to either of these simply because the combination of Clear Smog Amoonguss and Heal Bell Chansey (or any Heal Beller really, just to heal random Scald burns) stops them from going very far at all. It's not that I have to pack both of those just to deal with these guys. It's that they are both solid Pokemon anyway that check a whole host of other things, and they both just happen to do a good job of beating both Calm Minders.

As for the other two, well, it kinda depends on the set. I'm not sure what kind of EVs people are running on Mantine, so I'll just assume each extreme.

For specially defensive:

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 139-164 (41.6 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

If Mantine had reliable recovery, this might be okay, but it doesn't. The single most common Keldeo set by a long shot 3HKOs with a resisted STAB, so you get one turn to do something productive before you die. Seeing as how Mantine is supposed to be your Defogger, chances are that either Stealth Rock is down or it was down earlier and you already took damage from it, in which case there's a good chance that Mantine is 2HKOed. Obviously, +1 Leftovers Keldeo gets a similar result, while you do...what in return, exactly? I guess you might have a chance if you're running Air Slash (again, I'm not exactly sure what kind of set we're talking about here), but even then, Keldeo 3HKOs you at +1 while you only 4HKO it in return with Air Slash. Haze sort of messes with it, but then you get into mind games about when to Haze (in case they Calm Mind) and when to Air Slash (in case they Secret Sword). Life Orb versions just 2HKO at +1, so they're even harder to beat.

In the case of Landorus, you have trouble with Knock Off and Calm Mind variants, the two that are the most dangerous for stall. For Knock Off variants:

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 147-174 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 100-118 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- 24.3% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 87-103 (26 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

After Stealth Rock damage, two Knock Offs (a very spamable move, by the way) will almost always KO. Even if Stealth Rock isn't up, Knock Off + 2 Psychics has a good shot at KOing. Alternatively, 2 Knock Offs + Psychic is barely a guaranteed KO against Mantine at full health. In return, Mantine can barely break 72% against an uninvested Naive Landorus. Calm Mind sets are also still dangerous:

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 130-153 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Sort of like Calm Mind Keldeo, you get into mind games about whether to Haze or Scald. If the Landorus player wins the coinflips, it wins the matchup (it may not even need to guess if Stealth Rock is down since +1 Psychic => 2 +0 Psychics can KO after Stealth Rock damage). Again, this wouldn't be a problem if you had reliable recovery, but that's not the case. Of course, Scald burns help the matchup against Calm Mind Landorus if you're lucky, but I'd hate to have to rely on luck to beat something that I'm supposed to counter.

For physically defensive variants:

You actually take Keldeo on a lot better now, but Specs Secret Sword is still usually a 3HKO after Stealth Rock, so you still have to hope that either your opponent never set Stealth Rock or you were able to remove it earlier in the match somehow and recover enough health with Leftovers to safely tank the Sacred Sword. You do beat Calm Mind variants more easily now, but you still probably need both Haze and Air Slash to actually win.

As for Landorus, you run into this problem:

4 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 100-118 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 114-135 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Knock Off + 2 Psychics is an almost guaranteed KO, so you still run into huge problems with Landorus spamming Knock Off as you switch in. As for Calm Mind variants:

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 170-201 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah, you're kinda screwed. Best case scenario, you Haze on the first Psychic, Scald on a second, uninvested Psychic, and die on the third. Landorus still has 36-46% of its health left, and you have a dead Mantine. The only way you win is if you just go for the Scald immediately, Landorus rolls the 9.8% chance to not 2HKO, and you get a burn on one of the Scalds, which only has a ~5% chance of happening.

So to sum up, Crocune and CM Manaphy aren't even all that common of threats, certainly not worth using such a niche Pokemon to beat. There are also other things like the aformentioned Amoonguss + Heal Beller combination, Ferrothorn, etc. that can keep those two in check. In the case of Keldeo and Landorus, you still have trouble taking on some of their sets, especially after Stealth Rock damage (which is very likely seeing as how Mantine is supposed to be the one removing it).

Moreover, of those possible choices, how many of them can be used as hazard control? As far as being a Defogger is concerned, because Mantine won't be taking much damage from the mons it's switching into--because it actually gets free turns, it being SR-weak doesn't hamper its ability to Defog that much.
There are other popular hazard control Pokemon that stall could be using such as Skarmory and Mandibuzz that can perform other roles and check other important threats. As for creating free turns, it's hard to say that when two of the most common Pokemon that Mantine is supposed to counter and force out in order to create free turns (Keldeo and Landorus) can actually beat it under pretty casual circumstances. Yeah, it gets free turns if your opponent is using a mono-attacking Water-type, but how common are those exactly? Sure, you may get a chance to Defog against Keldeo or Landorus, but then you risk losing your Defogger to a Pokemon you're supposed to counter, in which case you had better hope that your opponent's Stealth Rock user is gone.

Don't analyses of Pokemon relegated to lower tiers deviate from standard cores, anyway? A lot of non-cookie-cutter defensive cores really appreciate what Mantine brings to the table; and I feel as if that's enough to justify it getting the same justice that Pokemon in similar situations (Snorlax, Froslass, and, riding on the VT, Empoleon--because we all know how single-minded and, well, bad they are) have gotten already.
Just saying, Empoleon was rejected a while back, and Snorlax was discussed to be rejected just a couple of pages back. You probably shouldn't be wishing their fate onto Mantine if you want it to get an analysis.

So now that I've got that off my chest, would someone who has used this thing to good success be so kind as to tell me why exactly Mantine deserves an analysis? I've heard people brag on it as a Landorus and Keldeo counter even before this thread, but as I demonstrated earlier in this post, it actually has trouble with certain common sets (the degree of which varies based on the EV spread you're running). As a Defogger, it seems really mediocre since it's weak to the single most omnipresent entry hazard out there and doesn't even have reliable recovery to make up for it. I've used it before and never thought of it as anything more than a gimmick, but I'll try to be open-minded. Why would I want to use this thing on a serious competitive team?

Last edited:
So I'm probably stepping into it here, but I really don't like this thing, lol.
I really appreciate the detailed reply; this is exactly the kind of response that I was looking for, so thanks n_n

To keep things as short and simple as possible (because I have to leave for work in a bit), Mantine is one of the few Pokemon on stall capable of relinquishing momentum and control from Lando-I. Mantine is capable of switching into half of Lando's most common moveset (its main STAB and arguably most important coverage move) and immediately putting it in a position that places its offensive momentum (and teammates, to an extent) in jeopardy. Can you name a key player of stall that can do this? What about potential replacements to Mantine, such as the aforementioned Gyarados? If Lando-I has to combat any other "check", it'll just switch out without risk of losing its hazards, its teammates getting crippled by status, or losing the ability to put on offensive pressure at a later time (I guess that this ties in with losing hazards, that doesn't really matter). You can argue that Knock Off, Calm Mind, and Psychic dissuade Mantine from switching in, but can't something similar be said about Lati@s? They can switch into more than half of Lando-I's most common move checks and shoot for a 2HKO with their STAB (in HW Latias' case, Draco Meteor can OHKO, but it's so common now that most players using Lando should be ready to switch out and take advantage of the drop), but falter to Knock Off and Calm Mind; incidentally, Rock Polish Lando can bypass their Speed advantage can simply KO with Knock Off. What separates them from Mantine is the methods used to keep them wary--to unnerve them about the simple thought of switching into Lando-I: Pursuit trapping and surrounding Lando-I with very potent sweepers willing to use them as setup fodder, such as Mega DDTTar and Mega Mawile. Not all defensive teams can afford giving such powerful threats any kind of momentum, and if Mantine fits the bill (a solid Keldeo / Lando-I switch-in that can also provide [extra] Defog support), then pass it up? It's unique glue that satisfies a specific, but definitely relevant task.

Regarding Keldeo, I'd feel much more comfortable running a more physically defensive spread to take it on, but the point is that Keldeo now HAS to Secret Sword to catch Mantine, and vs stall, that really isn't safe to spam. Mantine is now forcing Keldeo to use its secondary STAB; can you really deny that being good? Isn't it always good to force both players to predict, rather than allowing one side to test the waters (no pun intended) with a completely safe move and make adjustments from there? Whenever I run stall, I prefer putting my opponent in a position where misplays can cost them momentum, so I can solidify my team's defense and gain / regain momentum myself. Specs Keldeo can get very solid damage on Amoonguss (needs a ton of Defense investment btw) / Mega Venu as well as their teammates with Hydro Pump (or shoot for a burn with Scald; it's completely safe) and hustle away to one of the many Pokemon that can take advantage of [weak] bulky Grass-types, successfully retaining offensive momentum. Being immune to two of Keldeo's most menacing options (Scald and Hydro Pump) goes a very long way in being a handy check to it. When you're only taking into account a move that Keldeo has to predict with, then of course Mantine will come off as a shaky check--the same can be said for any prospective stop to a top offensive threat.

tl;dr: the combination of Scald and Defog forces a good amount of top offensive threats to commit, predict, and risk losing momentum.

Also good potion of my argument hinges on the current metagame and the direction it's moving in. Crocune and Rain Dance Manaphy are two established antimeta threats, and I'm confident that many others can vouch for this. Furthermore, isn't the consensus on Calm Mind Lando-I that it's mediocre in a metagame which offensive teams are dominant? It has very concentrated utility vs stall and BO, but that's really about it. Besides, if Lando reveals Calm Mind, it's now in a position to be checked, as Chansey, Clefable, specially defensive Skarm, and many others can serve as stops to it. Mantine does what no other Pokemon (or reasonable combination of) on stall can do in current meta, and that alone should be enough to consider it.

Oh, and, going back to Donphan, I admit to wording that poorly, but does it really take much persuasion to understand that, in OU, Donphan's most prominent attributes (Knock Off, Stone Edge, Ice Shard, etc just feed into Donphan's problem of having 4MSS) are heavily overshadowed by its competition? What other specially defensive Water-type is immune to Scald burns and can capitalize on opportunities even to it with either the threat of its own Scald or ridding the field of passive offensive pressure?

oh and:
Just saying, Empoleon was rejected a while back, and Snorlax was discussed to be rejected just a couple of pages back. You probably shouldn't be wishing their fate onto Mantine if you want it to get an analysis.
I was riding on the viability thread because you'd used your own post from there as a temporary placeholder for your response. If they were dropped from the rankings completely--like they should've been, apparently--then I probably wouldn't have brought them up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To keep things as short and simple as possible (because I have to leave for work in a bit), Mantine is one of the few Pokemon on stall capable of relinquishing momentum and control from Lando-I. Mantine is capable of switching into half of Lando's most common moveset (its main STAB and arguably most important coverage move) and immediately putting it in a position that places its offensive momentum (and teammates, to an extent) in jeopardy. Can you name a key player of stall that can do this? What about potential replacements to Mantine, such as the aforementioned Gyarados? If Lando-I has to combat any other "check", it'll just switch out without risk of losing its hazards, its teammates getting crippled by status, or losing the ability to put on offensive pressure at a later time (I guess that this ties in with losing hazards, that doesn't really matter).
If you're argument is that Mantine can switch into Landorus and do stuff, then yes, there are several other Pokemon that can do that. Chansey can switch into some sets and get off free Wishes, Heal Bell, or set Stealth Rock, Mandibuzz with a specially defensive spread can switch in and remove hazards or hit something on the switch with Knock Off (arguably a more spammable move than Scald) or something, CBBNite can switch in and outright kill it if it's at low enough health, AV Tornadus-T can also spam Knock Off and cripple any non-Mega that switches in (or Landorus itself), etc. Being able to Scald and Defog is nice, but it's not that big of a deal. If your opponent's Stealth Rock user is still alive, they can just reset the hazards, which is especially bad if you end up losing your Mantine to Landorus itself. Scald is Scald, but if a team doesn't have a good switch-in to random Scalds, then they've got a lot more problems than just Mantine.

You can argue that Knock Off, Calm Mind, and Psychic dissuade Mantine from switching in, but can't something similar be said about Lati@s? They can switch into more than half of Lando-I's most common move checks and shoot for a 2HKO with their STAB (in HW Latias' case, Draco Meteor can OHKO, but it's so common now that most players using Lando should be ready to switch out and take advantage of the drop), but falter to Knock Off and Calm Mind; incidentally, Rock Polish Lando can bypass their Speed advantage can simply KO with Knock Off. What separates them from Mantine is the methods used to keep them wary--to unnerve them about the simple thought of switching into Lando-I: Pursuit trapping and surrounding Lando-I with very potent sweepers willing to use them as setup fodder, such as Mega DDTTar and Mega Mawile. Not all defensive teams can afford giving such powerful threats any kind of momentum, and if Mantine fits the bill (a solid Keldeo / Lando-I switch-in that can also provide [extra] Defog support), then pass it up? It's unique glue that satisfies a specific, but definitely relevant task.
The thing about Knock Off and Calm Mind is that those are the sets that stall has the most trouble with. If the opponent doesn't' have either move, then Chansey (an already popular stall Pokemon that'll probably find its way on your team anyway) beats Landorus itself. The Knock Off and Calm Mind sets are a problem since after either move, Landorus can now 2HKO Chansey with Focus Blast. The problem with Mantine is that it loses to Knock Off variants and has a good shot at losing to Calm Mind ones too if it's specially defensive (and outright loses if it's physically defensive). Is it really worth using Mantine as a Landorus check if it beats the sets that stall already beats and loses to the ones that stall really has trouble with? Yes, it can switch in and at least Defog away hazards before dying, but other things can do this. As a teambuilder, I'm looking at Mantine and wondering, "What can this thing do for my team that nothing else can?" Seeing as how my stall teams often have the combination of Chansey and Skarmory simply because of the raw number of threats they check and support they offer, I incidentally have both Defog support and something to take on non-Knock Off/Calm Mind Landorus with ease. There are several other Defog users that could fit on stall teams, none of which clash with Chansey as far as threats that they check quite like Mantine does.

On a side note, the same really can be said about the Lati twins. That's why I'm also kinda hesitant to switch them into Landorus; Knock Off is a jerk, and Rock Polish sets just KO and keep going. However, they don't necessarily lose to Calm Mind sets. LO Psyshock from either 2HKOs, and Landorus can't 2HKO back at +1 unless it has Sludge Wave (and even if it does, it gets beaten regardless).

Regarding Keldeo, I'd feel much more comfortable running a more physically defensive spread to take it on, but the point is that Keldeo now HAS to Secret Sword to catch Mantine, and vs stall, that really isn't safe to spam. Mantine is now forcing Keldeo to use its secondary STAB; can you really deny that being good? Isn't it always good to force both players to predict, rather than allowing one side to test the waters (no pun intended) with a completely safe move and make adjustments from there? Whenever I run stall, I prefer putting my opponent in a position where misplays can cost them momentum, so I can solidify my team's defense and gain / regain momentum myself.
I really don't think that's a big deal. I mean, maybe it would be if you were forcing Keldeo to use a weak Hidden Power to have a chance, but we're talking about its STAB moves here. Hydro Pump and Scald may be more spammable than Secret Sword, but it's not like Secret Sword is a bad move to toss around. It has solid neutral coverage as it is and is Keldeo's only real shot against Chansey. In fact, couldn't you just say the same thing about Chansey? It takes on Keldeo's Water spam just as easily (maybe even easier since it at least has reliable recovery), but it fears Sacred Sword.

Specs Keldeo can get very solid damage on Amoonguss (needs a ton of Defense investment btw) / Mega Venu as well as their teammates with Hydro Pump (or shoot for a burn with Scald; it's completely safe) and hustle away to one of the many Pokemon that can take advantage of [weak] bulky Grass-types, successfully retaining offensive momentum. Being immune to two of Keldeo's most menacing options (Scald and Hydro Pump) goes a very long way in being a handy check to it. When you're only taking into account a move that Keldeo has to predict with, then of course Mantine will come off as a shaky check--the same can be said for any prospective stop to a top offensive threat.
Thing is, Amoonguss is pretty hard for Keldeo to actually get momentum against. It switches in pretty easily and beats Keldeo 1-on-1 no matter what it does (well, bar HP Flying, which is hilariously easy to take advantage of), and even if Keldeo rolls a lot of high damage rolls, Amoonguss fails to 2HKO with Giga Drain, and Amoonguss has to switch into Stealth Rock, Amoonguss will still maintain pretty high amounts of health when it's all said and done thanks to Black Sludge, Regenerator, and Giga Drain. Not only that, but very few things actually want to switch into Amoonguss because of Spore, and some other Pokemon can't safely set up on it due to the risk of Foul Play. Clear Smog also prevents most things from setting up on it, and the threat of a decently powerful Sludge Bomb with the chance of poison causing 1/8 damage every turn is also enough to dissuade an opponent from easily setting up. One of the biggest reasons that Amoonguss is gaining popularity on stall over Mega Venusaur is because it keeps momentum far better. If Mega Venusaur comes in on something that can really damage it, it'll often be forced to Synthesis immediately to stay alive, which gives the opponent a free turn to switch to whatever they want. Amoonguss, on the other hand, can force an opponent out and make good use of any of its moves while still being able to heal itself as it switches out.

The fact that Mantine forces Keldeo to use an already good STAB to beat it really isn't impressive. A ton of other things can do that (Vaporeon, anyone?) while offering their own forms of support. You still have a shot at losing to a Pokemon who you're supposed to counter simply if it uses its STAB move with Stealth Rock down.

tl;dr: the combination of Scald and Defog forces a good amount of top offensive threats to commit, predict, and risk losing momentum.
But again, couldn't I say the same thing about Donphan? Let's look at a specially defensive Assault Vest Donphan, for example. A little random maybe, but whatever. It can switch into Aegislash and either kill Aegislash with Earthquake, hit and cripple a switch-in with Knock Off, or remove hazards and force the opponent to lose momentum. It's not just Aegislash; it also can switch into Thundurus and even LO Deoxys-S as well and check them with Stone Edge or Knock Off while threatening to spin. While it still loses to Landorus, it can at least survive two Earth Powers and get off a free spin or remove a huge chunk of Landorus's power with Knock Off (or even 2HKO with Ice Shard if you run that for some weird reason). It can switch into Deoxys-D and undo its hazard setting without fear of Taunt, and things like Aegislash and Gengar are weary about switching in thanks to the threat of Knock Off and Earthquake. It can also take a +1 Flare Blitz the majority of the time from Bulky DD Charizard X and spin or hit back with Earthquake (not to mention that 1 Earthquake + Flare Blitz recoil will usually KO 248 HP Charizard X). Of course, they could just use Dragon Claw to avoid recoil, but at least Donphan can do a ton of damage before dying (a 68.8% chance to KO if Charizard X switched into Stealth Rock). So yeah, Assault Vest Donphan has a shot at switching into at least some sets of the entire S-Rank and forcing the opponent into an uncomfortable position. They run the risk of either losing the Pokemon that Donphan switched into or losing hazards and thus important momentum. In fact, the same thing could be said about a lot of Pokemon, but you still have to ask whether that's worth using it over a combination of more competent Pokemon.

Also good potion of my argument hinges on the current metagame and the direction it's moving in. Crocune and Rain Dance Manaphy are two established antimeta threats, and I'm confident that many others can vouch for this.
I can vouch for them as well, but they're not super common. In fact, Manaphy actually dropped from OU in the last tier shift, so it's usage is on the decline if that's of any indication. It's not that they're bad sets, but they're not common enough to warrant using something like Mantine. Not to mention that there are other ways for stall to get around them.

Furthermore, isn't the consensus on Calm Mind Lando-I that it's mediocre in a metagame which offensive teams are dominant? It has very concentrated utility vs stall and BO, but that's really about it. Besides, if Lando reveals Calm Mind, it's now in a position to be checked, as Chansey, Clefable, specially defensive Skarm, and many others can serve as stops to it. Mantine does what no other Pokemon (or reasonable combination of) on stall can do in current meta, and that alone should be enough to consider it.
I haven't heard people call it mediocre, no. I prefer Knock Off variants myself, but Calm Mind still works. As for the things that check it, Chansey can be 2HKOed by Focus Blast at +1, which makes it dangerous for it to stay in (especially if Landorus gets a second Calm Mind boost). Unless you're running specially defensive Unaware Clefable, it gets easily 2HKOed by Earth Power, and even that set is usually 2HKOed after Stealth Rock if Landorus just spams Earth Power instead of using Calm Mind immediately. Sludge Wave variants also blow past you. Specially defensive Skarmory is kind of mediocre anyway, and it's taking an upwards of ~96% from a +1 Focus Blast. Mantine still struggles to beat this set.

Oh, and, going back to Donphan, I admit to wording that poorly, but does it really take much persuasion to understand that, in OU, Donphan's most prominent attributes (Knock Off, Stone Edge, Ice Shard, etc just feed into Donphan's problem of having 4MSS) are heavily overshadowed by its competition? What other specially defensive Water-type is immune to Scald burns and can capitalize on opportunities even to it with either the threat of its own Scald or ridding the field of passive offensive pressure?
But I could ask the same thing about Donphan. What other physically bulky Ground-type can capitalize on opportunities to hit things with a decently powerful STAB Earthquake, threaten just about any non-Mega Pokemon with Knock Off, rid the field of passive offensive pressure with Rapid Spin, set Stealth Rock of its own, and revenge kill weakened sweepers like Garchomp, Landorus, and Dragonite with Ice Shard? Sure, it can't do all of those at once, but it can still pull off a lot of smaller jobs in theory. The question you have to ask yourself isn't whether or not a Pokemon can do stuff, it's whether or not it's worth it.

Here's the thing. I've mentioned this several times before, but you have to take into account the new standard for analyses. Last generation, the standard was more or less, "Does this Pokemon have at least a small niche?" or "Can this Pokemon do something noteworthy?" Were that the case right now, I wouldn't have any problem with Mantine. Sure, I may still find it mediocre, but at least it would have a little something to call its own. However, the current standard is far more strict and is based more on whether the Pokemon is actually worth putting on a serious competitive team, not just on whether or not it can function. This is the problem I see with Mantine. Yeah, it can sort of check a couple of things, but those same things can be checked by a lot of other viable stall Pokemon such that there is no need to run Mantine just to beat them. It can offer Defog support and Scald things, but lots of other things can create free turns to Defog while checking their own list of threats (and having reliable recovery, might I add, which is especially important for a Defogger that's weak to Stealth Rock), and Scald isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Again, by the old standard, being able to check a couple of specific threats, remove hazards, and not have to worry about Scald burns would have been enough for Mantine to deserve an analysis. Nowadays, it just seems like far to specific a niche to warrant being used in almost every situation, and I've seen Pokemon that look more useful to me fall to rejection for the same reason.

So that took way too long to type up, but I guess I've said my peace on it. There's not much more I want to say, so I'll rest my case. The big point I want to make is that last couple of paragraphs. Instead of asking, "Does Mantine have a niche?", you need to ask, "Is Mantine's small niche important enough to warrant usage on a serious competitive team?" If the QC team puts this under more scrutiny and still thinks that Mantine is worth using, then I trust their judgement.

P.S. I. Hate. 502. Bad. Gateway.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados >>> Mantine. And Mantine is a shitty Defog user against offensive teams anyway (the teams that have Landorus and Keldeo), because Garhomp, Terrakion, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Deo-D all just shit on it. It can handle SR Landorus and SR Heatran, but that's it. SR Deo-S is a middle ground, as Psycho Boost does more than 50% to physically defensive Mantine and LO Knock Off can fuck up specially defensive Mantine easily, so Deo-S has the upper hand. And between Mantine being a shitty Defog user, its lack of recovery in combination with SR weakness, its disappointing physical bulk, and its competition with Gyarados as a counter to Landorus and Keldeo, Mantine doesn't deserve an analysis, at least not anymore than Donphan does.

Fair enough, gibbs. I just wanted to bring it up because it's yet to be brought up in this thread, and a good amount of people can defend its viability. To prevent this convo from going circles (because I'll probably end up leading it into that), I'll back down for the rest of QC to give their input (also because I don't wanna reply to that from my phone 9.9).

Oh and thanks for the knowledge, dude. All of that was a pretty enlightening read n_n

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
LightningLuxray
craymond727

Does any of you two still want to finish Banette? If not, I'd like to bring it through GP (basically anyone should be able to do that I guess), as the poor critter's already been archived and needs to be rescued from oblivion :p

Ok I know this was brought up awhile back but could we please remove the Choice Scarf set from the Latios analysis? It's really not very effective in the meta because it makes its main niche, Defog, even harder, and it's really easy to Pursuit trap after its locked itself into Draco Meteor. Not only that, but Pokemon such as Excadrill and Garchomp are almost always better Choice Scarf users due to their immunity to Thunder Wave and the fact that they don't fear the previously-mentioned Pursuit.

Last edited:
Hey :) I am looking for ways I can contribute on Smogon right now. I was looking through the Unreserved list and saw a Rotom-Wash Specially Defensive Set on the list without (BH) required. So, if possible, I would like to reserve it and do my best on it. But, I can see that a few Rotom-Wash sets has already been made in the X/Y Preview, so my question is: Is it only the Special Defensive Set I would need an analysis for or what? Shall I write a big analysis or just one for the specific set? A reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Hey :) I am looking for ways I can contribute on Smogon right now. I was looking through the Unreserved list and saw a Rotom-Wash Specially Defensive Set on the list without (BH) required. So, if possible, I would like to reserve it and do my best on it. But, I can see that a few Rotom-Wash sets has already been made in the X/Y Preview, so my question is: Is it only the Special Defensive Set I would need an analysis for or what? Shall I write a big analysis or just one for the specific set? A reply would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)
SpD Rotom-W is already being worked on by Sturdynips. I think the OP is a little outdated :x

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
yo dudes (holy shit I sound stoned)

anyways I'd like to reserve 2 things:
TauntWoW Victini (aka VictinOI)
and
SDef Gliscor (taunt toxic)

I know the 2 are very underrated but they deserve analysis:
  • read my posts in the victini QC 2/3 or 3/4 or w/e it is now thread to see why it deserves this rank
  • Adrian Marin can back up this
Glisc:
  • taunt toxic is the best set imo, it improves on it's stall breaking abilities so much by taunting stuff like synthesis mvenu and heal bell/recovery on chansey
  • sdef is amazing because it handles knock off lando post-orb activation
  • the set is taunt/toxic/roost/EQ
  • it can also roost on LO latias and win because draco drops
  • sdef is not better than pdef, pdef handles important shit too, but sdef isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination
  • Jukain can back up this
  • I think Yuttt was one of the first people to use this :] and thus can back it up

Monte Cristo, you haven't posted a skeleton for the Mega Venusaur revamp in the rquired timeframe and I personally know Muk wants to work on it, and he did post the original thread. You are also now working on a Gliscor set. Do you mind if it gets taken over?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)