XY OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY (MAKING A NEW THREAD)

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
someone revamp mence please it's not that important and it isn't really good, but we have to give it an analysis (bl) and scarf at least has a niche as opposed to dd

also cofagrigus, tr is bad and defensive actually has a niche beating medi and cham among some other stuff

Reactions: trc

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just wondering what QC thinks about the following mons. I think all deserve analyses, but that's just me.

Empoleon: This post covers all of what I want to say about it. It has a viable Specs set and a viable defensive set. It's a good bulky water, hazard setter, hazard remover, and can be a replacement to defensive Heatran on select teams. For more info, look at alexwolf's post; it has everything.

Mienshao: This VM (and the subsequent VMs) cover all of what what I'd say about it. It's a pretty good anti-lead now, as it beats all common leads other than Terrakion. It's insanely powerful, pretty fast, and can lure stuff with moves like HP Ice.

Toxicroak: Toxicroak is a pretty cool Pokemon now. It's able to check Keldeo, Azumarill, Kabutops, Omastar, and Politoad, which is pretty fantastic. It puts a lot of pressure on teams with these mons, since any water move is a free switch for it. It's able to be played around by Azumarill, but Keldeo can't as reliably, since Toxicroak can and should be EVs so that Secret Sword doesn't 2HKO, and HP Flying is a really risky to move on the switch. It's able to abuse rain with recovery, and also has a pretty solid typing. Despite its poor bulk, it has a lot of defensive niches. It's also good offensively, since STAB Gunk Shot is really powerful and is able to threaten one of the most common defensive Pokemon in the tier: Clefable. Drain Punch is nice for threatening Chansey, who is decreasing in popularity, but is still relevant, as well as adding to its recovery potential (getting hit by water moves, being in the rain, Black Sludge, Drain Punch). It also has Sucker Punch, which is really nice to hit Psychic-types, trying to abuse Toxicroak's quad weakness. In its last slot, it commonly uses Ice Punch to hit Gliscor and Land-T on the switch, but also can use Swords Dance to boost its STAB moves and its priority. I think its ability to check water-types, put pressure on two of the bestmons in the tier, and its offensive capability makes it worth an analysis.

Whimsicott: Priority Tailwind, Encore, Sleep Powder, and Memento are all extremely useful on offensive teams. Encore and Memento make it easier for frail mons to setup, and Tailwind is great for giving Speed to slower stuff like Mega Heracross. Its role is slightly similar to Scolipede's, but trades boosting for the teammate for a) facilitating its setup, and b) having every move be priority, so stuff like Adamant Talonflame won' ever KO you before you do something. Its supportive abilities on HO teams, ie. making Mega Heracross even more of a monster than it is normally, is worth thinking about for an analysis.

Doublade: Doublade is a really cool mon on stall. It covers four terrifying megas (Garde, Hera, Cham, Pinsir), while also covering Terrakion and pretty much every physical attacker without a STAB Fire, Ground, Ghost, or Dark move, and even some that do. Imo its best set is the RestTalk set with Toxic and Gyro Ball, but SD is also ok. I think its capabilities on stall make it worth an analysis.

Granbull: This is much more niche than the above mons, but I still think its worth considering. This was rejected back in like February, back when it really didn't have a niche. However, with the huge increase in usage of Mega Heracross, Granbull finally has its time to shine. Its the most physically defensive of Fairies, including Intimidate, so its able to abuse its physically defensive typing. It has an insane movepool, that provides powerful STAB in Play Rough, good complementary coverage in Close Combat, Fire Punch, and Earthquake, support moves like Heal Bell, Roar, and Thunder Wave, and a boosting move in Bulk Up. The only thing its movepool doesn't give it is recovery, but like Doublade, its able to use RestTalk relatively well. Beating Heracross is its main niche, but it also has favorable matchups against threats such as Terrakion, Mega Medicham, Dragonite, and Garchomp.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

this set needs an analysis. real bad. its a great lure, since things like slowbro, land-t, and skarmory use bulk to counter chomp, and this set capitalizes on that by having draco+fire blast. it also packs a punch even when not hitting the correct targets, because LO stab DM hurts coming off of anything with a respectable special attack. it has gr8 coverage, and can set SR to boot if the opposing team doesnt have what it lures. Jukain already supports it, and i haven't seen it on the analysis, so why not give it one

PS: i won't be able to write it because school is dix

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Empoleon, Mienshao, and Doublade definitely deserve analyses, i am 50 / 50 on Granbull, and no to Whimsicott. Haven't used Toxicroak much so can't really comment about it.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
imo empoleon should get an analysis. it handles quite a few top threats nicely with a spdf set; azumarill without superpower, clefable, greninja, heatran, latis without tbolt, and even megavoir. a set of scald / defog / SR | roar / toxic works nicely, phase stuff that thinks it get set up for free, burn stuff with scald, defog or set up SR, whittle switch-ins with toxic, etc. also putting my hand up to write it if it does get an analysis; wrote empoleon's old ou analysis which got rejected. :L

Honestly in a way Empoleon just seems like a worse Tentacruel, as it removes its team's hazards and it doesn't deal with Keldeo as well. Also Acid Spray > Roar IMO, with Roar they can sac all there Pokemon until only one is left.

I've never used either, but at first glance, that's how it seems.

EDIT: Does do better v things like Lati twins though, but those aren't extremely hard to beat on Defensive teams, either.

How is Empoleon a worse Tentacruel? For one, both Empoleon sets don't even use Defog, and Empoleon has a much better defensive typing which allows it to take on a bunch of things Tentacruel can't, one of which being Latios, but many others, like Greninja which may have Extrasensory.

How is Empoleon a worse Tentacruel? For one, both Empoleon sets don't even use Defog, and Empoleon has a much better defensive typing which allows it to take on a bunch of things Tentacruel can't, one of which being Latios, but many others, like Greninja which may have Extrasensory.
I'd just like to point out that Choice Specs sets can be defeated with Grass Knot, which isn't terribly uncommon. After a bit of wearing down, it's a 2HKO, and without recovery it's really not hard to wear down.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The most viable set of Empoleon and the one that makes it viable in the first place is its SpD set. Specs is alright and imo worthy of a main set, but i am sure that many others disagree, so let's not focus on Specs atm.

Like I said, I don't really know Empoleon well, only an observation without any experience. The main reason I made the comparison in the first place is because in this post, a lot of things that were mentioned Tentacruel tends to deal with better.

On a side note, while a Steel-typing does have its benefits, it also gives Empoleon a weakness to Superpower Azumarill and Keldeo, which kinda sucks.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
alright, so granbull, whimsicott, and toxicroak are not happening

want to hear more opinions on emp, mienshao (albacore) and doublade (unreserved) are happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)