Other [XY OU Monotype]Rate my mono-rock team

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Hello everybody, I'd like to show you a team I made for monotype, as the title of the thread says, it's a mono-rock team, I totally know it's a highly limited monotype, but I put myself a challenge and I'll accomplish with this goal!

Ok, here is my team

Porthos (Terrakion) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Probably the biggest offensive presence in my team, Substitute is here to avoid revenge killing, avoid some WoW and gain a opportunity to get a boost, With Aegislash gone, Close combat and Stone edge are nearly unresisted (Gliscor, Nidoking and Golurk can, but I think I can cover them with my other Pokemon) he's reserved for mid-to-late game and he has saved me a lot.

Behemoth (Aggron-Mega) (M) @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Roar

MegaAggron is a blessing for mono-rock, specially against an important threat to mono-rock: Scizor, with his high defense, he can be considered a counter to MegaScizor (once he's megaevolved of course) Fire punch is here to counter MegaScizor and hit most steel Pokemon, Iron head is here because of STAB and to add offensive pressure to most fairies, Thunder wave is there to cripple some Pokemon (specially certain scarfed ones) and with roar, he can act as a status spreader.

Molbol (Cradily) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Recover

Ok, Cradily hasn't showed me great results, but that's actually because of my mispredicts, he's important to wall the water weakness my team has: Giga drain is there to making him harder to take down and healing, that with recover and leftovers can give him more durability, Toxic is there to make more damage and cripple some walls, and he's the hazzard setter of my team. He's there to eliminate the rival's water Pokemon, act as special wall, set a needed hazzard and the most important thing: Cleaning the way to Omastar, taking some Pokemon can wall him like Rotom-W and Gastrodon.

Rockzilla (Tyranitar) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

(Oddly I couldn't find a Tyranitar's animated sprite but meh, let's continue)

Well, the weather nerf was horrible to mono-rock, but hey, it's still a nice tool! Crunch and Stone edge are here by STAB and Earthquake is to give more coberture, that and Fire blast makes Tyranitar a decent check to steel Pokemon, not sure, I was thinking to give it a Hasty nature with Scarf but this set has worked for me, has a great resistance by special side and kinda complements Mega-Aggron, and of course, he's here to add offensive pressure to rival's team

Spiky (Omastar) (M) @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Shell Smash

An incredible huge powerhouse in my team, he acts like the late-game sweeper my team needs, also covering the need of a special attacker. Omastar is great once his counters are gone (and that's exactly Cradily's work) Yeah, Chansey is a great deal for him but I have Terrakion for that so it'll work... Hopefully
Surf is here because of STAB, Ice beam to cover most grass Pokemon, and Earth power to hit most steel pokemon, and also giving him a great offensive power, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W and Gastrodon can wall this set, but I have Terrakion for Ferrothorn and Cradily for the washing mashing and the bulky slime. In certain way he's like Xerneas, having a unique chance to boost himself (well, at least without losing his defenses in the process) and then proceed to sweep.

Ruby (Diancie) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

Well, I used a mono-rock in 5th gen and I noted Sableye is a huge threat to mono-rock because of the huge amount of physical attackers in this type. in 6th gen he's still a problem, and of course, this team is not the exception, but he gained a weakness and here is where Diancie comes in: She can 2KO Sableye even without a boost, so that's something to consider, and even more important: she's a decent answer to figthing Pokemon.

Well, like most fighting Pokemon are physical attackers, I put her a bold nature and max defense, her special defense will be increased with Calm mind: HP Fire is there to punish the switch to most steel Pokemon, she probably won't hurt them a lot, but it'll help a bit against them. Psyshock is there to have a alternative answer to figthing Pokemon AND letting her to hit special walls without the need to use Diamond storm, but not sure if it's the best choice thought

Shell bell is an odd choice, but it helps to keeping her alive, I considered leftovers, but I tested and actually with only one boost (and it's not been hard to me to ge it) she'll recover more HP with this item.

Okay, that's all I have, I think it has a decent sinergy, but it requires some work, specially with Cradily and Diancie, so I heard some suggests

Thanks by reading all this and and thanks by future help to this team

Hi Victor S. Court , this is a really good team you have here! Like,, it's really solid, and I don't see much you have to change, except for a few things.

I suggest you change your Aggron-mega set to the standard Curse RestTalk set, so you can deal with Fighting types like Breloom a bit better. You should probably change White Herb Omastar to Focus Sash. This will help you set up Shell Smashes easier, and generally help you clean up easier. Also, you should probably consider running Trick Room Diancie to easily deal with Fighting Types, if you don't want to, that's fine, but if you don't run Trick Room, run Croancie.

beat the game (Diancie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

OR

strings to u shuppets (Diancie) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [FIRE] / Psychic
- Diamond Storm

+6 knock em out (Aggron) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Curse
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

You could give Terrakion a Choice Scarf, for a fast and speedy revenge killer, and make Mega Aggron a Curse, Rest, Sleep Talk set with Heavy slam or Iron Head

Terrakion

item: Choice Scarf

moves: Close Combat, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Iron Head

nature: Jolly

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
Hi Victor S. Court , this is a really good team you have here! Like,, it's really solid, and I don't see much you have to change, except for a few things.

I suggest you change your Aggron-mega set to the standard Curse RestTalk set, so you can deal with Fighting types like Breloom a bit better
Mmmm yeah, I sometimes put REALLY greedy with paralysis spread, and that costs me the whole match, I could give a try to this set, BUT what can I do for threaths like Scizor?

You should probably change White Herb Omastar to Focus Sash. This will help you set up Shell Smashes easier, and generally help you clean up easier.
There is a trouble here: the lack of rapid spinner/defogger in my team, I'm not a fanatic of using Focus sash if I know I can't keep it

Also, you should probably consider running Trick Room Diancie to easily deal with Fighting Types, if you don't want to, that's fine, but if you don't run Trick Room, run Croancie.
I forgot to change that LOL I'm using Croancie, it works amazing to wall things like Conkeldurr with a Bold nature and max HP and Defense, Trick room setter sounds good, but she has troubles to sponge the attacks I want to cover

You could give Terrakion a Choice Scarf, for a fast and speedy revenge killer, and make Mega Aggron a Curse, Rest, Sleep Talk set with Heavy slam or Iron Head

Terrakion

item: Choice Scarf

moves: Close Combat, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Iron Head

nature: Jolly
Considering I have a lot of Pokemon need a boost, I guess I should put an inmediate threat, so I'll try this one, just a dumb doubt, Adamant would be a better nature for the scarf set?

Ok, this team kinda works, but I have troubles with hazzards, I might need a defoger/rapid spiner... The problem is I don't know who to put out for this, any suggest?

Mmmm yeah, I sometimes put REALLY greedy with paralysis spread, and that costs me the whole match, I could give a try to this set, BUT what can I do for threaths like Scizor?

There is a trouble here: the lack of rapid spinner/defogger in my team, I'm not a fanatic of using Focus sash if I know I can't keep it

I forgot to change that LOL I'm using Croancie, it works amazing to wall things like Conkeldurr with a Bold nature and max HP and Defense, Trick room setter sounds good, but she has troubles to sponge the attacks I want to cover

Considering I have a lot of Pokemon need a boost, I guess I should put an inmediate threat, so I'll try this one, just a dumb doubt, Adamant would be a better nature for the scarf set?

Ok, this team kinda works, but I have troubles with hazzards, I might need a defoger/rapid spiner... The problem is I don't know who to put out for this, any suggest?
Aggron can try to set up along side Scizor, but if you want, you can always run Fire Punch over Heavy Slam.
As for a decent Defogger/Rapid Spinner, there isn't really any good ones. Seeing it in that perspective, I agree with you; you might have to keep running White Herb, since Hazards are so prevalent in this Metagame.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
There is a threat is worring me a lot: Keldeo

Not sure which is the most popular moveset of him in monotype, and he has the right coverage moves to obliberate my team (even Aggron is 2KO by Specs Hydro pump)

Any idea about how to stop him?

hmmm,, not really,,
you can try aerodactyl(?), but scarf sets will probably continue to haunt you until the end of ur days
phys def cradily isnt really effective in general and can't take a specs secret sword either,,
ill try and think of a check and tell ya if i find one

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
I could consider Terrakion a check, the problem is the speed tie

With Thunder wave Mega Aggron I could paralyze him and let Terrakion takes of him, but the mono-attacker set works good AND doesn't make he gets down to quickly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)