XY OU Stall team

Hi there! I'm somewhat new to Smogon forums, but I've been competitively battling since late 4th gen, so I do have some experience when it comes to making teams for OU. You may be wondering, why would I make a thread in rate my team then? Well, I've never made a stall team before. I've made teams with several defensive Pokemon, but never anything like this. I would appreciate any and all help with refining it. Thank you in advance!

Physically defensive

I am the Funbro. (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Slowbro. Fantastic physical bulk, good typing, and an ability that regenerates health every time it switches out! It is great for dealing with fighting and fire types, since it can take a hit and deal back a decent amount of damage. Scald is arguably the greatest stab move Slowbro gets, being only slightly weaker than surf and having a chance to burn the opposing pokemon! Fire blast wrecks Ferrothorn and Skarmory, as well as being able to deal a good amount of damage to Aegislash. Toxic and slack off are a great combo because they help stall out anything that resists both scald and fire blast, such as Dragonite.

Am I Swampert yet (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic

Unaware is a great ability to avoid getting swept. Haze is a good combo to unaware as I can remove all the boosts that an opposing Pokemon has before it takes out my entire team. Scald is still an amazing move. Recover and Toxic are for stalling out the opponent. The main goal for this Quagsire though isn't being a full time wall like Slowbro. As long as I reset the boosts on a Pokemon at least once with haze, It has done it's job well.

Mixed Wall

TGI Fridays (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Zapdos is a near flawless counter to Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Thunderbolt is its primary stab move, hitting numerous threats in OU with decent damage. Heat wave is a good coverage move, as it hits steal types like Forretress and Scizor. Defog is how I will remove hazards that plague my side of the field, though I will be careful to set mine up after I take out the opponent's hazard setter.

Cleric

The Blobbening (Blissey) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Softboiled

Blissey is a fantastic special wall, with its Beefy HP and high special defense. This set is nothing special, it acts as my second specially defensive wall but her main role is to be a cleric. If any of my Pokemon have a status, I can use heal bell and remove it. Softboiled restores half of Blissey's HP every time. Sneaky pebbles are great for stall teams, since residual damage helps so much late game. Seismic Toss is of course to at least give Blissey some way to deal damage.

Support

Spikes Inc. (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is a fantastic defensive wall. It has good HP, an awesome Defense stat, and a fantastic offensive move in brave bird. However, what really makes it shine is its access to roost, stealth rocks, spikes, whirlwind, and defog. This set utilizes spikes and whirlwind, as well as the usual roost and brave bird. If tiptoeing tectonics are already on the field, even with only one layer of spikes the residual damage your opponents Pokemon will be receiving is tremendous.

Offensive wall

Uhhh Venusaur (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Growth

This is my most offensive Pokemon by far. After mega evolution, thick fat is an amazing ability. It takes away two weaknesses, leaving it to only be hit super effectively by flying and psychic moves. I chose a relaxed nature because I wanted to be able to be a decent mixed wall without reducing either of my offenses. Giga drain is this Pokemon's main attack. It is great for recovering HP. Earthquake is to deal with pesky Heatrans and Aegislashes that run rampant in the OU world. Synthesis, like I've said before, is great for recovering HP. Growth is to be used whenever I think I can spare a turn and increase both my offenses. (Its even better in the sun, x2 for both attack and special attack.)

Additional Notes
I revised my team big time after seeing the responses. I have gone from having a regenerator core to having counters to some of OU's biggest threats, including Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and numerous setup sweepers. I have used this team on the ladder and it has done really well. Every member pulls their own weight well.

Last edited:
Nice names, slowking+ slowbro, 4 mons with regenerator: 10/10.
But every wallbreaker (megawile, megachomp, SD exca and more) after a dance can swipe u.
I don't know if amounguss with that EV spread can take an hit and use clear smog.
Imho :
Gus should be a physical wall.
Use venusaur like a wall (u are walled by ferro/sylveon/chansey, u can't touch gengar, drought chari and more)
U don't need slowbro. Replace him with a good Revenge killer (with a priority, maybe)
Blissey is meh. Chansey FTW: 252 def, 252 sdef, 4 hp.

Your team is extremely weak to Bug and even if you know your weak to Bird Spam you did nothing to fix it and you'll get destroyed by Banded/Scarf Raptor, Talonflame and Pinsir.

As Vasi said, your team is extremely Bird and Bug weak at the moment. At the very least you need a Poke to set up Stealth Rocks. Perhaps Heatran to replace Slowking or Skarm to replace Tangrowth would be helpful. Heatran walls most Talonflame sets, but is not that effective against the EQs and CCs from Pinsir and Staraptor, respectively. Skarmory is fairly good vs all three of those pokes with its amazing defense and access to Roost, but Banded Talonflame can still 2HKO with Flare Blitz. Basically, you need Stealth Rock for this team to have a chance against the common Talonflame, Pinsir, Staraptor, and Zard megas.

Blissey --> Florges
With the moveset Moonblast/Wish/Protect/Heal Bell

Replace M-Venu with a half decent hazards clearer (perhaps Mega-Blastoise?)

Then use the team in UU.

I can't really do a proper rate here, because the amount of changes required to cover the relevant threats really wouldn't leave it looking anything like your team. The biggest problem you have is redundant defensive roles. Slowbro and Slowking may cover different sides of the spectrum, but they have the same typing, ability, and Blissey does almost everything Slowking can anyway. Similarly, Venusaur, Tangrowth and Amoonguss fulfil almost exactly the same bulky Grass role, with only minor variation. You're essentially just wasting teamslots.

In addition, you need to start thinking about a proper win condition (typically on stall, entry hazards combined with some offensive presence). In the team's present state, literally any opposing team with a Cleric and some form of recovery will be untouchable. Meanwhile, you have no way of preventing enemy hazards from going down, which, regardless of Regenerator, will lead to you quickly being swept (especially against spikestacking offense).

Honestly, start with Blissey / Slowbro / (your favourite of the 3 Grass types) and build from there, making sure to include some plans for entry hazard control, and making sure you're covering relevant threats (one of the most significant would be M-Pinsir, which usually requires the use of Skarmory / Rotom-W / Zapdos on any stall team - although of course there are other less used options). I'm sorry if you want a proper rate but I just don't feel that at this point you'd benefit much from it - good teams are easy to find, whereas getting better at teambuilding just takes time and experimentation.

(Insert post here)
Thank you very much for these suggestions. I'm decent when it comes to making standard teams. However, I haven't made a stall team until now. I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration when editing my team.
Blissey --> Florges
With the moveset Moonblast/Wish/Protect/Heal Bell

Replace M-Venu with a half decent hazards clearer (perhaps Mega-Blastoise?)

Then use the team in UU.
Maybe I should make two versions of this team, one for OU and the other for UU.

The difficulty with creating a good stall team is that you need to cover or at least check everything that's commonly seen in OU. Now that's difficult enough as is with 6 pokemon but you are literally using the same sets on the same type of pokemon and that's just not going to cover everything that you need. I'd recommend going to this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ng-thread-b-and-c-pokemon-discussion.3495992/ and just taking a look at what threats are popular in the metagame.

I hate to make any big changes to what you have but I think its necessary to take on all the threats.

First I would recommend replacing amoongus or tangrowth with a defensive zapdos set.

Zapdos @ Leftovers l Pressure
Bold l 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spec Att.
Thunderbolt l Heat Wave l Defog l Roost

This will help to cover up your flying weakness to mega-pinsir/talonflame and can double as a nice defog user to clear hazards from your side of the field. It also gets rid of the redundancy of having two pokemon with a sleep move.

Next, I notice that you don't have much to take a hit when something like bisharp or garchomp gets a swords dance up. In general you are weak to set up sweepers who can ohko regenerator users if they have enough boosts, making the whole concept pointless.

I would recommend replacing either slowbro or slowking with an unaware quagsire set to put a stop to setup sweepers.

Quagsire @ Leftovers l Unaware
Bold l 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spec Def.
Scald l Toxic l Haze l Recover

Now quagsire is a difficult pokemon to use correctly, and you shouldn't go switching it in to any old threat and expect to take it on and come out strong like a regenerator pokemon would. Basically you should only switch it in when the opponent has multiple boosts under their belt, and use a quick haze then switch out. quagsire is a very weak pokemon on its own, but used at the right times it can save you when it looks like all is lost. Also quagsire has the nice ability to always beat Bisharp 1v1, and nothing else on your team really like taking a knock off. Just switch in and spam recover while his life orb kills him off.

As for minor changes, I think Wish is completely unnecessary on Blissey, because everything else has instant recovery or regenerator. Softboiled is just a more reliable move. I also think running stealth rock on Blissey is almost necessary because nothing else that you have runs it, though its a tough decision to replace either twave or heal bell. Regenerator pokemon force a lot of switches, so it should really make a huge impact. Tangrowth can easily run knock off over hidden power fire, it doesn't really need the move to function well. Change its nature to relaxed if you do run it. I hope just having 2 regenerator users is still staying true to the team's theme but I don't really see any other way to do it lol. Best of luck

Mega Pinsir absolutely would wreck your team. After 1SD
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 334-394 (84.7 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 595-702 (151 - 178.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 612-720 (151.4 - 178.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 897-1056 (125.6 - 147.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Mega Venusaur: 720-848 (197.8 - 232.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Amoonguss: 1082-1274 (250.4 - 294.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
He could sweep your entire team and I don't think you have anything at all to stop him. The quagsire fix would help you a TON in that respect. The only thing to stand up to him would be slowbro but its still a 2HKO. And there is a similar problem with Talonflame and its BB but slowbro walls that much better
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 144-171 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

OP has been edited based on suggestions from those who have posted. Thank you for everybody who has helped out, I greatly appreciate it! Feel free to take a look at what you see now and tell me what you think.

The changes you made changed your team for the better so much IMO. The only thing that I can say is bad is Zapdos has 30 Defense IV's for some reason.

looks nice but aegislash is still a problem though. id use a standard counter mandibuzz/bisharp/chesnaught/krook or something over skarm, its kinda difficult having 1 type of hazard user, another type of hazard user, and then defog all on different pokemon. skarm kinda fulfills the same role as zapdos, so i would keep only one of them. magic guard clefable is a huge problem when your venusaur doesnt carry sludgebomb. having to cover everything is always hard and when you fix one problem you open up another haha thats why stall teams always end up looking really samey. well do what you can, it looks much better already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)