XY OU Team - First team I'm somewhat happy with... (Peaked 1590+)

...But I still have many problems.

Introduction
Hello Smogon, I like to think of myself as a decent player in regards to predictions and such but I know and freely admit that I am god awful at team-building which has always been a downfall of mine, leaving holes in my team that can easily get exploited by a single Pokemon that I'm not prepared for. This team however has not been that bad but I need improvement on it still.

The Team in Depth...

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm Nature
| Will-O-Wisp | Lava Plume | Stealth Rock | Roar |

This is the Pokemon that I decided to build this team around. He is the main special wall and perfect answer for the ever-so-common Charizard-Y and many other special attackers that don't boast a powerful Focus-Blast or STAB water move. Any Charizard that gets matched up against Heatran will usually switch out and then be unfortunate enough to be roared back into play and take stealth rock damage. Heatran can also cripple any Physical attackers that chooses to foolishly switch in. Gyarados, Azumarill and other bulky waters often being the main victims. Sometimes I will also dedicate this as my lead and set up rocks when in a appropriate environment. Any Mon that tries to utilize Heatran as set up bait (e.g Azumarill, Gyarados, Manaphy, Scizor) are easily roared out.

Problems I have/may encountered
  • Other Heatrans - I'm unable to touch them whatsoever and they can take 1/2 of my attacks and use them for a nifty flash fire bonus. I can also do this back but its pointless since I can only roar them out and usually they'll give me a mean earth power before they go for about 50% of my HP.
  • -
  • -

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
| Leech Seed | Protect | Thunder Wave | Gyro Ball |

Ferrothorn and Heatran work together like clockwork. Perfectly covering each others weaknesses bar fighting type moves. I'm able to easily set up a leech seed on anything that feels like coming in to kill this thing then either switch to something more appropriate or stall it out and scout a bit by protecting. I used to run Knockoff along side Gyro Ball instead of Thunder Wave but soon found it to be almost redundant since most switches seemed to be Mega-Evos or Gyro would just be more beneficial damage wise. I switched it out for Thunderwave to badly cripple threats such as Charizard-Y, Choiced Heatran, Keldeo etc etc. This has so far been the cause of many delightful forfeits.

• -
  • -
  • -

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
| Will-O-Wisp | Pain Split | Haze | Shadow Sneak |

I'm unsure of Dusclops position in this team. He is a great Pokemon and can definitely work magic in some OU teams but he definitely doesn't safely stop the most common fighting type OU, Conkeldurr. He thrives off of Dusclops W-o-Ws and with Knockoff so common its almost better to run Dusclops itemless >.>
However he does win all the PP wars I could hope for and is my favorite phazer going walling many NastyPlot users such as Thundurus and Celebi. He currently also carries the only priority move on my team which doesn't even serve much use sadly.

• Conkeldurr - Loves the W-o-Ws Dusclops gives and can 2HKO with knock off without guts boost.
  • -
  • -

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
| Focus Blast | Calm Mind | Hydro Pump | Hidden Power [Ghost] |

I had never used a Keldeo before this and badly regret it. I usually end up fainting at least 2 Pokemon with it each game. This is pretty much a standard set you'll have seen run by other people apart from I'm running Focus Blast to deal with Ferro. Blissey could be a pain but still haven't fought one yet with this team unbelievably. Hydro Pump is pretty self explanitory, 110 BP + STAB boost = 165 BP. Hidden power ghost is just there for coverage against the LatiTwins who resist both Keldeo's STABs. Just by setting up one calm mind I'm in a decent position to do a late game sweep if the special walls are somewhat hurt and there isn't a Talonflame in sight.

• Status - Keldeo gets put on a timer if he's hit by a Toxic or Burn. A Para is even worst since its then pretty much useless for the whole game. I have considered making it Dragonite style and giving it a lum berry but then I have no method of recover what so ever. I may need an Aroma user on my team.
  • -
  • -

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
| U-turn | Earthquake | Hidden Power [Ice] | Knock Off |

Lando is another one of possible leads. If I see a Smeargle I'll lead with Lando, U-Turn into Ferro. Smeargle uses Spore and it's just wasted its life completely. I think everyone knows what a Lando does I'll not go into detail about this too much. I chose to run HP Ice due to a glaring weakness in my team for SubProtect Toxic Heal Gliscor. However it is unable to 2HKO and once people know its HP Ice they'll never let Gliscor near it again. I may change this to rock slide so I can kill off the mega Charizards that are about.

• Base 91 Speed means life orb Deoxys-S can outspeed and 1HKO with Ice Beam. No I didn't do the calc but its a Life Orb Ice Beam so I'm pretty certain.
  • -
  • -

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
| Rapid Spin | Aura Sphere | Dark Pulse | Water Pulse |

The Mega-Evo of the team! Another Pokemon I hadn't used before creating this team. I felt that Sticky web would very seriously negate the impact Keldeo would have so I needed a Spinner/Defog user. Since I had rocks of my own I decided to stray away from defoggers and chose Blastoise since it did the job of being a cool Mega and a pretty good bulky spinner. With access to Dark Pulse it completely wrecks common OU spin blockers like Trevenant and Gourgeist. Mega Toise's ability also boosts all of his offensive moves it has by a nice 50%. Water pulse practically becomes a STAB Hydropump with the chance of confusing. Blastoise is also the best answer I have to Ice Fang Gliscor and all Kyurem variants when Landorus is under threat.

• No HP recovery
  • -
  • -

Threats to the team as a whole
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Spd / 184 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake/Ice Fang

I appreciate any help given since as I said I'm no good at building teams and know this could and is easily being countered.

Hey! A few comments about your team.

I would maybe personally use Protect instead of Roar, as it gives you means of getting extra Leftovers recovery, and extra burn damage on opponent. However, that's mostly a personal choice. On Ferrothorn, you really shouldn't run Thunder Wave and Gyro Ball in the same set. Thunder Wave slows down Pokemon, making Gyro Ball effectively weaker. I suggest you replace either Protect or Gyro Ball with Power Whip. Also, I would maybe try using SR on Ferrothorn instead of Heatran, as Heatran has plenty of useful moves to run instead of SR. I'm also curious to know why you've chosen to use Dusclops in your team. Is it because of resist to Fighting attacks? Overall, Ghost isn't all that type defensively, so I would probably try and switch it to something else. You could try Magic Guard Clefable in place of Dusclops, as it enables you to get past both Gliscor and Conkeldurr.
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Soft-Boiled
move 4: Flamethrower
ability: Magic Guard
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Okey, so your Keldeo is really sub-optimal, mainly because you have equipped Focus Blast on him, whoch you never should do. Always use Secret Sword on Keldeo, as it's multitudes better option. Also, HP Ghost isn't useful. I suggest you switch HP Ghost to either HP Flying (for Venusaur) or Icy Wind (for dragons). I would second the change of HP Ice to Stone Edge / Rock Slide, because he works well as a revengekiller with it. I would suggest you switch you M-Blastoise's EVs to max HP / max SpA with a Modest nature, so that he becomes a larger offensive threat.

I think this team is overall well built, and good luck in your future battles!

Hey! A few comments about your team.

I would maybe personally use Protect instead of Roar, as it gives you means of getting extra Leftovers recovery, and extra burn damage on opponent. However, that's mostly a personal choice. On Ferrothorn, you really shouldn't run Thunder Wave and Gyro Ball in the same set. Thunder Wave slows down Pokemon, making Gyro Ball effectively weaker. I suggest you replace either Protect or Gyro Ball with Power Whip. Also, I would maybe try using SR on Ferrothorn instead of Heatran, as Heatran has plenty of useful moves to run instead of SR. I'm also curious to know why you've chosen to use Dusclops in your team. Is it because of resist to Fighting attacks? Overall, Ghost isn't all that type defensively, so I would probably try and switch it to something else. You could try Magic Guard Clefable in place of Dusclops, as it enables you to get past both Gliscor and Conkeldurr.
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Soft-Boiled
move 4: Flamethrower
ability: Magic Guard
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Okey, so your Keldeo is really sub-optimal, mainly because you have equipped Focus Blast on him, whoch you never should do. Always use Secret Sword on Keldeo, as it's multitudes better option. Also, HP Ghost isn't useful. I suggest you switch HP Ghost to either HP Flying (for Venusaur) or Icy Wind (for dragons). I would second the change of HP Ice to Stone Edge / Rock Slide, because he works well as a revengekiller with it. I would suggest you switch you M-Blastoise's EVs to max HP / max SpA with a Modest nature, so that he becomes a larger offensive threat.

I think this team is overall well built, and good luck in your future battles!
Yeah, I had Dusclops due to its typing and the fact that it had Haze. Only two reasons.

I took on board all your suggestions and everything seems to be working great, thanks! However I think I still want a Phazer somewhere in my line up. Tail Glow Manaphy almost wrecked me already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)