XY OU Threat List [Compiling Entries]

I already reserved Politoed a few posts before yours. You've already written it, so there's no point in changing it, but seriously people, please check to make sure no one else has reserved a Pokemon before you reserve it! This has happened quite a few times so far and it's easily preventable.

Oh, and also, I'll take Heatran (offensive) instead. (Yeah, I saw that Scizor was already done right after I posted it. >.>)
Sorry about that. Will look more thoroughly next time

Anyway, I've also finished Chandelure.

Last edited:

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
I will be taking Gourgeist-Super (Offensive) and Jirachi (Defensive) if possible.

EDIT: Gourgeist-Super was mistakenly listed as an offensive threat. It is a defensive threat, and I have re-written my article accordingly.

Last edited:

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus

Gourgeist-Super
Type: Ghost / Grass
Base Stats: 85 HP / 100 Atk / 122 Def / 58 SpA / 75 SpD / 54 Spe
Ability: Pickup / Frisk / Insomnia

Gourgeist-Super is a Pokémon whose defensive presence is most certainly threatening indeed. Once it has burned its foe with Will-o-Wisp, they are going to be hard-pressed to do much damage at all from the physical side. To put things into perspective, Gourgeist-Super is capable of taking physical attacks from powerhouses such as Mega Garchomp and then proceed to burn them, significantly decreasing their damage output. Gourgeist-Super also has access to the ever-annoying Leech Seed, which, coupled with Leftovers, gives Gourgeist a reasonable amount of recovery each turn, and a way to slowly wear down its foes. In addition, Gourgeist-Super has Shadow Sneak, which is a priority STAB move that can pick off weakened foes. Ability-wise, Gourgeist-Super benefits from the utility of Frisk - Being able to scout out the foe's item is a boon on such a bulky Pokémon, as by learning the foe's item, the user of Gourgeist-Super is often going to be able to have a clearer insight as to what set their opponent is running. Gourgeist-Super's Ghost/Grass typing also benefits it in a number of ways - It is immune to Normal and Fighting moves, Leech Seed, bothersome powder moves and has some useful resistances to boot. This Pokémon can easily halt physical attackers in their tracks given the chance, so make sure you have ways of dealing with it, or disposing of this Pokémon is going to be nothing but an uphill battle.

Jirachi
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace

Jirachi is a very interesting Pokémon, to say the least. With a useful defensive typing, good, well-rounded stats and a large movepool, it is only natural that Jirachi can pose a defensive threat. Using its nice base 100 HP stat, Jirachi is capable of using Wish then passing the Wish to an ally with U-turn. U-turn also serves as a way of scouting and keeping up momentum. Jirachi is also able to set up entry hazards in the form of Stealth Rock, and with Jirachi's combination of defensive typing, speed and bulk, it is usually going to get the chance to set them up. Beyond Wish, U-turn and Stealth Rock, Jirachi can use its flinch-inducing utility to its advantage, with Thunder Wave and Body Slam for paralysis, and Iron Head for a reliable STAB that will often prevent its paralyzed foes from moving, allowing Jirachi to garner Leftovers recovery and wear down its foe. Jirachi always has many tricks up its sleeves, so should not be taken lightly.

EDIT: See Jukain's post - I have re-written Gourgeist-Super's article as a defensive one, like it should have been.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok this should be fully updated

ATTN Everyone: Watch that what you're reserving hasn't already been reserved. It only takes a Ctrl + F search. I'm sorry that I didn't update the OP for a bit, but I figured this was common sense. People reserving things a few posts before you, and still reserving them and finishing them? Just be more careful if I forget to update the OP.

Zam's Moustache I am super sorry, but I listed Gourgeist-Super under the wrong list. It should have been a defensive entry, NOT an offensive entry. Again, sorry.

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
Haha, it's no problem, Jukain. I have edited my post to contain the re-written article (I thought it was bizarre that such a bulky Pokémon that I use as a physical wall be listed as an offensive threat). Also, I'm guilty of accidentally taking someone's else's reserved Pokémon in one instance, so I wish to apologise for that.

Last edited:

Gothitelle
Type: Psychic
Base Stats: 70 HP / 55 Atk / 95 Def / 95 SpA / 110 SpD / 65 Spe
Ability: Frisk / Competitive / Shadow Tag

Blessed with the rare Shadow Tag ability, Gothitelle stands out as one of the best trappers in the game. Gothitelle has an extensive special movepool which allows it to tailor it specifically for threats that it wants to trap. When equipped with a Choice Specs, Gothitelle is incredibly proficient at eliminating defensive cores; it just needs to run the correct coverage move. It can use Psychic for Mega Venusaur, Thunderbolt for Skarmory, Hidden Power Ground for Heatran, Grass Knot for Hippowdon; its options are plentiful. It can also use a Choice Scarf set effectively to trap offensive threats, such as Celebi, Scizor, and Gyarados. It is arguably the most versatile trapper, both in the Pokemon it can trap, and the moves it can run to defeat them. It has a wealth of other options available ranging from specific Hidden Powers for certain foes, to Trick to cripple nearly all defensive Pokemon. Because of its versatility and its ability to remove threats easily, Gothitelle can fit into most teams very well, and is almost always able to do its intended job, making it a difficult opponent to face and a significant foe to watch out for.

Offensive Starmie and Offensive Tornadus

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Breloom is done, here comes offensive Jirachi. Thinking Phys Scarf, paraflincher, Calm mind as sets to mention

Jirachi
Type: Steel / Psychic
Base Stats: 100 HP / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 100 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace

Jirachi may not be immediately intimidating offensively, but it has the movepool, bulk, typing and ability to deal real damage. By merit of Serene Grace Jirachi's STAB iron head has a 60% chance to flinch the opponent rendering them unable to move that turn. It's no surprise that a number of sets revolve around using this ridiculous ability to their advantage. A choiced Jirachi is not uncommon; either Scarfed attempting to outrun everything to revenge kill and flinch to death, or Banded letting Iron Head deal serious damage while rendering the opponent helpless more than half the time if they're slower. Supplemented by a wide number of coverage moves, secondary STAB, and also a number of utilities feasible for a choice set Choice Jirachi brings the pain. Sacrificing immediate power or speed the commonly seen "ParaFlinch" set, although similar to the choice set has a key difference in that it is unchoiced and focuses on Body Slam or Thunder wave to paralyze the opponent, and then Flinching them, leaving them with a very slim chance of moving at all. As for special sets Jirachi has a wide number of special attacks to take advantage of, as well as Calm Mind for boosting, turning it into a dangerous sweeper.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus

Blissey
Type: Normal
Base Stats: 255 HP / 10 Atk / 10 Def / 75 SpA / 135 SpD / 55 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure / Serene Grace / Healer

The elder of the pink blobs is a nightmare for nearly any special attacker to face, as its gargantuan base 255 HP stat and superb 135 Special Defense make it nearly untouchable for the most part. Access to reliable recovery lets Blissey become arguably one of the toughest special walls to break, as it is nearly impossible to wear down slowly over the course of a battle. Natural Cure ensures that Toxic doesn't hamper Blissey either, and Blissey's great status-absorbing ability can be a major pain for Pokemon reliant on the effects of status. Finally, Blissey makes good use of Toxic and Seismic Toss to ensure that almost no boosting special attacker can get past it, with very few exceptions. Overall, Blissey is not to be underestimated in any way, and every team must pack a solution to get around it.

Amoonguss
Type: Grass / Poison
Base Stats: 114 HP / 85 Atk / 70 Def / 85 SpA / 80 SpD / 30 Spe
Ability: Effect Spore / Regenerator

Amoonguss puts its nice base 114 HP stat to use with its ability, Regenerator, which restores 33% of it every time it switches out. With a usable 70 Defense and 80 Special Defense, Amoonguss can utilize this useful form of healing to become not only a decent pivot but also solid counter to any Pokemon it walls, since Amoonguss's opponent will have a very hard time taking it down. Amoonguss's switch-ins must beware, as Spore can easily put them out of commission for a significant amount of time, and Amoonguss's Poison-type STAB deters most Grass-types from switching in to absorb a Spore. Amoonguss must be played around with care, as the above qualities give it a high level of mobility for a defensive Pokemon.

With those two done, reserving Gastrodon (defensive) and Mega Aggron (defensive).

Also, Jukain, defensive Clefable should be listed as having been completed by me.

Kyurem
Type: Ice / Dragon
Stats: 125 HP / 130 Atk / 90 Def / 130 SpA / 90 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Pressure
Gifted with Substitute + Roost, Kyurem can also be seen as a PP staller in combination with the Pressure ability, while it has decent Defenses and a great HP stat. But, Kyurem offensively surely is dangerous. Having a 130 Attack + a 130 base Special Attack, Kyurem can be a mixed Pokémon. It has a decent movepool, where the main moves are Ice Beam, Dragon Pulse, Earth Power and Focus Blast, looking at offensive moves. Since Kyurem has a decent 95 Speed stat, it can run a Choice Scarf to quickly murder opponents while it stays out of trouble. Besides having good stats, the Ice/Dragon typing is great offensively, giving Kyurem STAB from Ice Beam + Dragon Pulse, which makes those moves extremely powerful. Kyurem is a big threat where every team should have at least one check for.

Xatu
Type: Psychic / Flying
Stats: 65 HP / 75 Atk / 70 Def / 95 SpA / 70 SpD / 95 Spe
Ability: Synchronize / Early Bird / Magic Bounce
Gifted the ability Magic Bounce in generation 5, Xatu does amazing being a supporter. It's a great statuser which can't be taunted, because Magic Bounce will bounce it back. Magic Bounce prevents the opponent from setting up hazards, or statusing Xatu, while it can use status moves without any problems. Xatu can run a multiscreen set with a Light Clay, but also a set-up with Calm Mind + Roost. It's not able to whirlwind Xatu away, allowing it to set-up easily and succesfully. U-Turn allows Xatu to switch out of its counters and checks and it gains momentum by doing that. Psychic and other decent moves like Shadow Ball can hit the opponent very hard if Xatu managed to get to +6 Special Attack. But, since Defog removes any hazards on the field, Xatu can also Defog any hazards away when it can tank some hits. 65/70/70 allows it maybe to take Super-Effective hit, but it keeps being by that. Xatu is an amazing supporter, having good stats + Magic Bounce

Reserving Politoed (Offensive)

Last edited:

Politoed
Type: Water
Stats: 90 HP / 75 Atk / 75 Def / 90 SpA / 100 SpD / 70 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb / Damp / Drizzle
Thanks to the Drizzle ability, Politoed's STAB water attacks like Hydro Pump and Surf do not only do 1.5x the normal amount of damage, but 2.25x ! Having a good offensive movepool with access to powerful moves named Focus Blast and Hydro Pump, Politoed can easily sweep teams in combination with a Choice Specs. Since it has a decent 90 Special Attack, Politoed is able to run Life Orb or Choice Specs, allowing it to sweep teams while it can take a hit, because fo the 90/75/100 bulk. It's 70 speed is decent, but it allows it to outspeed general threats like Scizor and Heatran if it runs Speed EV's. Politoed can take a hit and then counter attack with a powerful attack in the rain.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus

Gastrodon
Type: Water / Ground
Base Stats: 111 HP / 83 Atk / 68 Def / 92 SpA / 82 SpD / 39 Spe
Ability: Sticky Hold / Storm Drain / Sand Force

Although Gastrodon's nice base 111 HP and usable defenses make it decently bulky, it's more the fact that it gets a complete immunity to Water-type attacks through Storm Drain that make it such a threat. Gastrodon's great Water/Ground typing gives it an immunity to Electric-type moves, letting it wall Rotom-W in any situation, and gives it four great resistances at the cost of only one relatively uncommon weakness. Recover prevents it from getting worn down from Rotom-W's burn as well as allowing it to wall anything that cannot 2HKO it, which works perfectly in tandem with Toxic or Scald burns. Make sure you have a way to deal with Gastrodon, as it can be a major annoyance with its resilience and ease of switching in.

Mega Aggron
Type: Steel
Base Stats: 70 HP / 110 Atk / 230 Def / 60 SpA / 80 SpD / 50 Spe
Ability: Filter (Sturdy / Rock Head / Heavy Metal)

Simply put, Mega Aggron is like a walking sponge of all physical attacks, thanks to its meaty 230 Defense stat and great defensive Steel typing. Mega Aggron's ability Filter saves it from being easily brought down by common Fire-, Ground-, and Fighting-type attacks, a huge problem for other defensive Steel-types. Mega Aggron is bulky enough to use Rest, as the vast majority of physical attackers can't even take it out in two turns. Used alongside Sleep Talk and Curse, Mega Aggron becomes one of the most dangerous boosting tanks in the metagame, particularly when relevant special attackers have been removed. Overall, these qualities make Mega Aggron a threat that must be played around carefully, as its sheer defensive prowess lets it walk all over an unprepared opponent.

AuraIllusions, just a few things I noticed about your entries.

I would not recommend highlighting any downsides in your entries, as you do in Xatu and Kroododile (particularly stuff like mentioning "lower tiers" and saying that Espeon outclasses Xatu.) In addition, please remove mention of physical sweeper Politoed with Hypnosis + Belly Drum. That doesn't actually exist in competitive battling. Furthermore, Xatu cannot learn Defog without forfeiting Magic Bounce, so remove that as well.

Reserving Espeon (support) and Ninetales (support).

Last edited:

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus

Roserade
Type: Grass / Poison
Base Stats: 60 HP / 70 Atk / 65 Def / 125 SpA / 105 SpD / 90 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure / Poison Point / Technician

Roserade might seem a bizarre choice to pose a defensive threat in OU considering the dominance of Venusaur and its Mega Evolution, but it has some useful advantages over the latter, namely its higher Speed, access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes and a niche as a user of the NaturalRest strategy. Using its decent speed and useful resistances to Fairy, Grass, Water, Electric and Fighting, Roserade can find the opportunity to set up either Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes, damaging and/or poisoning the majority of foes who subsequently proceed to switch in. This Pokémon is also blessed with Sleep Powder, which can allow it to shut down an otherwise threatening foe for several turns. In addition, Roserade is no slouch offensively, and with that high base 125 Special Attack, its attacks are going to be hitting quite hard, so it is certainly not setup bait. Finally, utilising Natural Cure, Roserade is able to recover all of its health, and heal any statuses it may have acquired using Rest, and simply switch out to wake up, fully healed. As far as defensive threats go, Roserade seems unconventional, but nonetheless, it can be a threatening presence all the same, given the astounding recovery granted by Rest and Natural Cure, access to Sleep Powder and its ability to plague your team with entry hazards.

Last edited:
I would like to nominate rhyperior. I know it's borderline, but it's insane bulk can allow it to switch into most electric types with ease. It counters talonflame and can even switch into pinsir. It's bulk is insane, lucario can't ohko spdef rhyperior from either side of the spectrum

(252 atk adaptability mega lucario close combat vs 248 hp/0 def rhyperior: 78.1-92.6%
252 spa adaptability mega lucario aura sphere vs 248 hp/236 spdef rhyperior: 73.9-87%)

Obviously not a counter or anything but shows how hard it is to ohko without a grass or water move.

It also hits reasonably hard and can set up sr and phaze

Starmie
Type: Water / Psychic
Base Stats: 60 HP / 75 Atk / 85 Def / 100 SpA / 85 SpD / 115 Spe
Ability: Illuminate / Natural Cure / Analytic

Boasting a blistering 115 Speed stat and access to a plethora of special coverage moves, Starmie at first seems to be a powerful sweeper, but it manages to stand out from the rest by virtue of its ability to use Rapid Spin. With Rapid Spin, Starmie is able to fulfill both the role of a sweeper and a spinner, and this is further complemented by the ability Analytic, which means that foes switching in will take more damage than usual; this lets it beat most spinblockers easily. It is commonly seen utilizing a Life Orb and various special attacks, such as Psychic, Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, or Ice Beam. However, it can easily perform with a Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, and use Trick to cripple a defensive Pokemon, or even go down a bulky attacker route with Recover and Scald. Both powerful and versatile, Starmie is standout at its job, and it is both relevant and effective in the metagame.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
relinquishing goodra, op should be up-to-date now

awesome work everyone...but there are some late reservations. i'll be lenient because there haven't been issues and i am sure all you guys will do a good job.

so, Trinitrotoluene you have 48 hours to finish aegi and chomp. Nog , the same thing on mega pinsir and latias.

Tornadus
Type: Flying
Base Stats: 79 HP / 115 Atk / 70 Def / 125 SpA / 80 SpD / 111 Spe
Ability: Prankster / Defiant

One of the three Incarnate genies, Tornadus is unique in being the only pure Flying-type in the game, though that isn't the only thing interesting about it. In particular, its great base 125 Special Attack and high base 115 Attack allow it to function on both sides of the offensive spectrum, or even go mixed if it wants to. It's Speed is also very good, narrowly outpacing base 110 Speed Pokemon like Latios, Latias, and Gengar. It is a devastating attacker in the rain with Hurricane, and it also has a wealth of coverage moves in its arsenal, two of which being Focus Blast and Heat Wave which allow it to break through the Rock- and Steel-types that resist Hurricane. It can even use U-turn to keep a team's offensive momentum intact, which works great on its most common set, a Choice Specs variant. as mentioned before though, it can easily take advantage of its good Attack stat to run a physical set, with Acrobatics, Superpower, and even Bulk Up. Its list of virtues don't stop there though, as it also has an excellent ability, Prankster, which lets it use Taunts and set up Tailwinds with priority. When all of these advantages are put together, a fearsome threat is created, and Tornadus has no problem fulfilling that role.

Offensive Diggersby and Offensive Galvantula

relinquishing goodra, op should be up-to-date now

awesome work everyone...but there are some late reservations. i'll be lenient because there haven't been issues and i am sure all you guys will do a good job.

so, Trinitrotoluene you have 48 hours to finish aegi and chomp. Nog , the same thing on mega pinsir and latias.
Sorry that I have not posted anything yet, I don't have the time that I thought I had to do them and would like to resign my rights to mega pinsir and latias.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry that I have not posted anything yet, I don't have the time that I thought I had to do them and would like to resign my rights to mega pinsir and latias.
I'll take your Mega Pinsir.

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus
Jukain, I appreciate your appreciation :)

Is it alright if I take Latias (Offensive), seeing as Nog has resigned rights to it? That'll mean I've written both Latias articles. Seems like this is the last one that's not reserved, so I'll be happy to do it!

Last edited:

Psywaves

is a Contributor Alumnus

Latias
Type: Dragon / Psychic
Base Stats: 80 HP / 90 Def / 110 SpA / 130 SpD / 110 Spe
Ability: Levitate

Latias may seem outclassed by Latios at posing an offensive threat in OU, but Latias has several qualities that set it apart from the latter. For one, Latias' superior bulk allows it to switch in with greater ease, and act as an offensive pivot. Secondly, using Calm Mind, Latias is able to boost its already high Special Attack and Special Defense to insane levels, allowing for it to do massive damage and tank special hits that come its way. In addition, Latias can run a Life Orb set akin to that of Latios, albeit as an offensive pivot as opposed to a brute attacker. Furthermore, Latias has access to Defog, which is a nice boon given Latias' high speed and niche as an offensive pivot. Besides the aforementioned qualities, Latias is able to make good use of its access to Roost/Recover, being able to reliably restore health when the need arises. It is fair to say that Latias' offensive presence in OU is not to be underestimated, despite competition it may receive from Latios. This Pokémon can hurt many teams if one is unprepared to face it.

Hydreigon

Type: Dark/Dragon
Base Stats: 92 HP / 105 Atk / 90 Def / 125 SpA / 90 SpD / 98 Spe
Ability: Levitate

Hydreigon is a slightly bulky Dragon-type with a large offensive movepool, scary STABs, and 8 resistances/immunities. Hydreigon usually holds a Life Orb or a Choice Scarf. This Dragon-type's coverage is unique, it is able to hit everything that resists Dragon for super-effective damage much stronger than Hidden Power--except for Azumarill. It may use a mixed set, and has a big physical movepool that includes U-Turn. Different Hydreigon builds can 2HKO any pokemon in OU after Stealth Rock, so unknown sets must be dealt with cautiously. Hydreigon's main flaw is a lack of speed, falling behind many top OU picks that pack super-effective moves.

Last edited:

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
a note: i just listed both of aegislash's stat distributions because both of them are relevant.

Aegislash
Type: Steel / Ghost
Base Stats: 60 HP / 50 Atk / 150 Def / 50 SpA / 150 SpD / 60 Spe (Shield Forme); 60 HP / 150 Atk / 50 Def / 150 SpA / 50 SpD / 60 Spe (Blade Forme)
Ability: Stance Change

In both the aesthetic and functional senses, Aegislash is one of the most unique Pokemon to have made an appearance in OU. Aegislash's ability, Stance Chance, allows it to change its forme from a slow, sturdy wall that can tank hits from all sorts to a frighteningly powerful wall crumbler that can severely cripple or KO most Pokemon in OU. King's Shield, which also has the nasty effect of lowering the opponent's Attack stat by two stages if they use a contact move against it, allows Aegislash to change back to its Shield forme, which, in the hands of a skilled player, effectively gives it a base stat total of 720. This combination of traits, alongside its STAB moves and Sacred Sword, allows it to become a tank that can take quite a few hits and deal copious amounts of damage right back. Access to Swords Dance and Autotomize also allow Aegislash to step outside of its normal tank / wall crumbler roles and attempt a sweep.

e: nvm. dropping chomper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)