Other XY OU Viability Ranking: Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
jw, every time a change is made in the normal thread, will you update it here? Like for now I can only nominate scarf magnezone to b+, while it honestly deserves a/a- (and will rise very soon). Also in the same regard, can you move things down before they move down on the real thread? Like it's pretty obvious Ferro is gonna move down to a, so can I nominate it to go down before it does?
To answer your first question, yes, I will update this when the normal thread makes changes depending on if leaving a set where it is would clash with the rules here. As for your last question, we are able to move sets down here before they're moved down there, so we can have Ferrothorn's set drop to A here before it happens there.

i like most of aragorn's nominations, minus the manaphy one. i don't think that tg + rd manaphy is a rank is the metagame, and it likely won't raise in the ou thread, seeing as there hasn't been much support and both me and cbb disagree on it rising. just a quick note and i'll comment more on some changes soon n_n

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I can elaborate more on these if necessary but here's some things I thought could get a mention to help us get started. Organize how you want as well, idk the exact names of all of them specifically sometimes and still trying to grasp the basics of this thread.
Edit: Had to elaborate so only going to do some for now.

Will-O-Wisp + Roost - S: Set allows itself to be an offensive and defensive presence not only for itself but its teammates as well. Longevity with Roost and cripples physical attackers and switch ins with Will-O-Wisp or strong attacks. Easily implemented on any archetype.

Dragon Dance + 3 attacks - A: Dragon dance sweeper with lack of longevity due to recoil. The metagame trends is what I think makes it fine for an A rank set as it's still an extremely hard hitter regardless.

Roost + 3 Attacks - A: Strong hitter, reliably recovery, but lacks the added power and speed of Dragon Dance. Has a harder time against offense and is generally suited to more balanced/bulky offense teams.

Dragon Dance + Roost - A+: DD sweeper with more longevity thanks to Roost. This is usually the go to set on Zard X in terms of sweeping. Has issues with sand and a handful of scarfers but overall a very reliable set.

Unaware CM and MG CM - A+: MG CM can sweep teams late game after some boosts while Unaware CM breaks stall and defensive set up sweepers like Crocune and MG Clefable more efficiently. Unaware allows it to check general set up sweepers such as BD Azu and NP Thundurus as well.

Cleric - A-: Useful typing and good abilities but for the most part can be a sitting duck and as such has a hard time against more offensive teams or your basic stallbreakers such as Mew and Taunt Heatran. No real offensive presence for the most part.

Thunder Wave - A: Allows Clefable to be a support role for balanced teams to slow down cleaners such as Hawlucha, Greninja, Weavile, M-Gyarados, and so forth. Can either be a status absorber with MG or a check to set up sweepers with Unaware.

Bulky Defog - A+: Longevity with Roost and an EV spread to survive more hits such as HP Ice from LO Thundurus. Fits easily on offensive and balanced teams.

Scarf Latios - A: Revenge killer and has Trick as an asset to cripple mons such as Chansey or general switch ins on Latios such as specially defensive Jirachi and Doublade. A dependency on Tricking the item is what makes this set less viable than its LO attacker set, but is still a solid choice if the provided tools are necessary for your team.

Sub Flail - A-: When it gets down to minimal HP, Flail will topple buildings. The problem is its over dependency at being at that stage. A strong set but can be a bit challenging to pull off well and needs a bit more support to get it to function.

Specially Defensive: Way down low. Mostly for the fact it doesn't really do anything well when using a specially defensive spread. It loses its biggest selling point in being a physical wall while the tradeoff being taking less damage from special attacks.

Last edited:

Valmanway

I can elaborate more on these if necessary but here's some things I thought could get a mention to help us get started. Organize how you want as well, idk the exact names of all of them specifically sometimes and still trying to grasp the basics of this thread.

Will-O-Wisp + Roost - S
Dragon Dance + 3 attacks - A
Roost + 3 Attacks - A
Dragon Dance + Roost - A+

Unaware CM and MG CM - A+
Stealth Rock - A
Cleric - A-
Thunder Wave - A

Bulky Defog - A+

Scarf Latios - A

Sub Flail - A
Knock Off - A-

Choice Band - A
SD - A
Stallbreaker - A+
Natural Gift - A-

Lead - A+
SubSD - A+
Scarf - A

Dragon Dance - A
Roost + 3 attacks - B+

Defensive (Hyper Voice, Wow, protect, wish) - A-

LO attacker (Subsplit, 3 attacks/Dbond, etc.) - A
Stallbreaker - A
Taunt + Destiny Bond - A-

Offensive Air Balloon - A

LO attacker - A

Subpass - B+

Scarf - B- (Not sure if we can rank something that low now but I guess it can be used for the future)

AV - B+

Support - A
Choice Band - A-
AV - B+

SD + LO - B+
Sash - A-
Poison Heal - B

Scarf - A-
Spikes Setter - B+

Mixed Wall: A-

Scarf - A-
Sub - A-
LO attacker - A-
Band- B

TG + RD - A-
Rain Dance + CM - B
TG + 3 attacks - B+

Specially Defensive: Way down low lol
Yeah, you're gonna have to elaborate on nominations.

Reactions: AM

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i like most of aragorn's nominations, minus the manaphy one. i don't think that tg + rd manaphy is a rank is the metagame, and it likely won't raise in the ou thread, seeing as there hasn't been much support and both me and cbb disagree on it rising. just a quick note and i'll comment more on some changes soon n_n
oh. I just figured you guys all agreed with jukain. I agree with him, but i guess that's irrelevant :x

Do you agree with TGRest going to A-, CM going to B, and "vanilla" tg going to B-/C+?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll throw in a few more sets. Some May be repeats of other ppls but they're not in the OP and May be different so yeah

Pinsir:
Subflail: A
Sub SD: A+

Heracross:
SD+ 3 attacks: A+
Sub SD: A
Trick Room: B+ :/

Excadrill:
Scarf: A-
Air Balloon Mold Breaker: B+
Assault Vest: A-

Greninja:
Spikes: A
3 Attacks + Shadow Sneak: A-

Heatran:
Scarf: A
Offensive Air Balloon: A+

Latias:
Bulky Offensive Defog: A+
Life Orb 3 attacks + Roost: A
Calm Mind: A

Kyurem-B:
Sub Roost: A-
Scarf: B+
Life Orb attacker: A-
Band: A-

All I got for now. Also can I not a set for a rank that's higher than the mon is ranked in the viability thread? (Ie SD Diggersby for A instead of A-)

Valmanway

Also can I not a set for a rank that's higher than the mon is ranked in the viability thread? (Ie SD Diggersby for A instead of A-)
Nope. It would be confusing if a single set is ranked higher than the Pokemon itself, so a Pokemon's ranking in the original viability thread is the highest a set's ranking can go here.

Specially Defensive: Way down low. Mostly for the fact it doesn't really do anything well when using a specially defensive spread. It loses its biggest selling point in being a physical wall while the tradeoff being taking less damage from special attacks.
It is a very good answer to fire blast tyranitar/Garchomp

It is a very good answer to fire blast tyranitar/Garchomp
0 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 152-180 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 134-158 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 226-268 (67.6 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
It does wall Garchomp, while not quite about Tyranitar. But if it's running Shed Shell(which is almost mandatory with all that Magnezones running around)..
0 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 152-180 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 134-158 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It might even get 2HKOed by Garchomp.
And those are non STAB special moves from physical mons. I'd like to nominate Specially Defensive Skarmory to around B-/C+, a bit worse than Mandibuzz. EDIT: Maybe this can be ranked below Defensive Zapdos. C+/C would fit better.
Mandibuzz's Utility set with 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe Bold has
423 HP / 308 Def / 253 SpD.
Specially Defensive Skarmory with 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD Bold has
334 HP / 352 Def / 236 SpD.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 123-145 (29 - 34.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Skarmory: 108-127 (32.3 - 38%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Not entirely outclassed, having a better defensive type, access to hazard moves, not weak to SR, but easily trapped so forced to run Shed Shell, which leads to have no leftovers. And generally less bulk, too.

Last edited:
aight gonna take a shot at this

i think all variants of lead garchomp(sd, mixed lo, stabs+fire blast)deserve a. why a? because its one of the most reliable leads in OU(it has great power, good bulk, and rough skin to beat out sash terrak leads) and the fact that mixed LO can lure in and kill so much while setting sr. sd lead garchomp can run lum or sash, and still be a reliable SR setter while having some good offensive potential. for reference, here are the sets:

Garchomp @ Lum Berry/Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Throwing in my two cents.

Terrakion

Choice Scarf: A+
- Excellent revenge killer who outspeeds the entire unboosted tier. Great Fighting/Rock STABs only resisted by the frail Mega Medicham and Doublade. It can also pull off a late-game sweep once he opponnts team is weakened enough so it can blast through the rest with Close Combat (Stone Edge = unreliable)

Stealth Rock Lead: A+ - Forces switches, which makes it easier to get rocks up early game. Can also be a useful anti-lead with Taunt, considering it outspeeds every common lead.

Choice Band: A - This set gives up the speed you gain from Scarf for more power. You still force switches, but I feel that this set is more prediction reliant than Scarf, simply because the opponent can switch to a faster threat.

I don't have an opinion on Life Orb. I haven't used it or seen it in action.

Dragonite

D
ragon Dance: A or A- -
This faces competition with Zard X, Mega Gyarados, and Mega TTar as a Dragon Dancer, but it can actually keep up because it has 3 pros that catch my eye. The first one is that it doesn't take up a mega slot, therefore it can use Lum Berry to heal itself from status one time, or a Weakness Policy. It also has Multiscale in conjunction with nice and meaty bulk (91/95/100). Last one is Extremespeed, giving it priority that none of the other DDers have. I'm not sure whether these pros can keep it at A though.

Choice Band: A - This hits like a monster truck. Early game it can be used as a powerful wallbreaker, while it can clean up with Extremespeed late game.

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Throwing in my two cents.

Dragonite

D
ragon Dance: A or A- -
This faces competition with Zard X, Mega Gyarados, and Mega TTar as a Dragon Dancer, but it can actually keep up because it has 3 pros that catch my eye. The first one is that it doesn't take up a mega slot, therefore it can use Lum Berry to heal itself from status one time, or a Weakness Policy. It also has Multiscale in conjunction with nice and meaty bulk (91/95/100). Last one is Extremespeed, giving it priority that none of the other DDers have. I'm not sure whether these pros can keep it at A though.

Choice Band: A - This hits like a monster truck. Early game it can be used as a powerful wallbreaker, while it can clean up with Extremespeed late game.
Choice band is actually dragonite's most used set and for a good reason, having a priority that can bypass talonflame and pinsir is pretty huge in the metagame, said priority under choice band hits like a truck, it does not ends here, however, multiscale allows dragonite to be a great "opener" during a battle, surely you cannot spam outrage like you could in BW, since clefable and azumarill are pretty common, and that's one of the reason why dragonite has dropped but it's still a solid choice on teams, thanks to the set's versatility, need to weaken stuff? Here, your choice between outrage, fire punch, eq, heck even thunderpunch superpower and dragon claw, need to revengekill some stuff before it destroys you? Go ahead and use extremespeed, sure stealth rocks is a pain, but so is for stuff like charizard, thundurus and pinsir.
I believe that choice band deserves the A Rank, dragon dance on the other hand I believe it is A-, or heck, even b+, it lost its charm, especially the weakness policy version from early xy, sure I can set up easily somehow thanks to multiscale, but really... why do that when you have stuff like mega charizard x, mega gyarados, mega tyranitar, mega pinsir and other powerful physical sweepers (who are also not weak to unaware clefable, might I add) while I can enjoy cbnite's utility on a team?
Edit: misread, I thought you said cbnite was a- rank, oh well, I'll throw my two cents too.

Last edited:
0 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 152-180 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 134-158 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 226-268 (67.6 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
It does wall Garchomp, while not quite about Tyranitar. But if it's running Shed Shell(which is almost mandatory with all that Magnezones running around)..
0 SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 152-180 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 134-158 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It might even get 2HKOed by Garchomp.
And those are non STAB special moves from physical mons. I'd like to nominate Specially Defensive Skarmory to around B-/C+, a bit worse than Mandibuzz. EDIT: Maybe this can be ranked below Defensive Zapdos. C+/C would fit better.
Mandibuzz's Utility set with 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe Bold has
423 HP / 308 Def / 253 SpD.
Specially Defensive Skarmory with 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD Bold has
334 HP / 352 Def / 236 SpD.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 123-145 (29 - 34.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Skarmory: 108-127 (32.3 - 38%) -- 96.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Not entirely outclassed, having a better defensive type, access to hazard moves, not weak to SR, but easily trapped so forced to run Shed Shell, which leads to have no leftovers. And generally less bulk, too.

you should put sr out of this calcs since skarmory should usually be switched in while tyranitar or garchomp lay sr on the field. (using Fire blast on tyranitar and garchomp is mainly there to beat defogging skarms)
Then pls notice that fire blast has an accuracy of 80% and only 8 ap, meaning you can outstall it easily.
Also uninvested skarm outspeeds uninvested tyranitar, meaning you can roost before the second fire blast and just wait for the miss (speed invested ttars + fire blast + sr rarely exists, since it is the defensive ttar that lays sr. ttar needs rughly 80 evs to outspeed skarm, which it shouldnt effort in a defensive spread)

However i agree that skarm becomes worthless due to magnezone.

I think Thunder Wave + 3 attacks should be Thundurus's only set in S rank. The mixed attacker and the nasty plot sets are A+ at the best to me. I suppose you could argue Nasty Plot + Thunder Wave and Knock Off + Thunder Wave should he S so i guess id agree with that. i just think any Thundurus set without Thunder Wave doesnt deserve S because priority Thunder Wave is what makes Thundurus so good

you should put sr out of this calcs since skarmory should usually be switched in while tyranitar or garchomp lay sr on the field. (using Fire blast on tyranitar and garchomp is mainly there to beat defogging skarms)
Then pls notice that fire blast has an accuracy of 80% and only 8 ap, meaning you can outstall it easily.
Also uninvested skarm outspeeds uninvested tyranitar, meaning you can roost before the second fire blast and just wait for the miss (speed invested ttars + fire blast + sr rarely exists, since it is the defensive ttar that lays sr. ttar needs rughly 80 evs to outspeed skarm, which it shouldnt effort in a defensive spread)

However i agree that skarm becomes worthless due to magnezone.
Tyranitar can scarf (SR on something else), and mixed Garchomp with a Life orb exists. Fire Blast has 85% accuracy, and 10% chance to burn. If you are trying to PP stall, you are risking to get burned. And if you get burned, you cannot stall it out anymore. PP stalling Fire Blast is not a very good idea.
Having 85% accuracy, it will hit about four times in a row in average. (0.85)^n=0.5 n=4.265... A little bit more, actually.
It has 10% of getting a burn, so 1-(0.9)^4.265=0.361.. You will end up getting burned roughly 36.1% of the time, before the first miss. Not very reliable.
EDIT: I forgot about the Crits, so four non-crits in a row will be about 77% of the time. So non crit+non burn and/or early haxy miss have to happen in order to SpD Skarmory to stall out the opposing Tyranitar and Garchomp, while they should not be running Scarf or Life Orb and little to no EVs in SpA, and there should be no rocks on Skarmory's side.

If you are sending Skarmory to opposing Tyranitar with no Rocks on your side(which you are assuming that it puts SR as you switch), can you be sure that it is running a support set without a scarf? It can just hit Fire Blast.

Last edited:
I think belly drum azumarill should go down to B+. Lets look at the definition of a B rank and an A rank. "A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the OU metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits." I would say belly drum azumarill is a great set, it has trouble finding an opportunity to set up. While its not hard to set up a belly drum, it is hard to set up a belly drum while having enough HP left to do lots of sweeping. especially because lots of pokemon can come in and take a +6 Aqua jet then KO. Also belly drum azumarill has trouble with scizor, ferrothorn, mega venusaur, talonflame, mega pinsir, rotom-w, gyarados, lati twins, manaphy, keldeo, dragonite, etc. Its hard to get a good sweep or knock out a decent amount of pokemon with belly drum azumarill, especially because your opponent probably has a good check or counter built into their team even if they didnt prepare for going up against a belly drum azumarill. Now lets look at the B rank. "B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the OU metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential."
This is where belly drum azumarill belongs. You do need support if you want to use it as a sweeper or just to dent teams, especially when the AV azumarill is bulkier, and CB has more initial power. I would say both are more effective than belly drum azumarill, especially when you consider the sitrus berry is one use.

Belly drum azumarill belongs in the B+ rank. The rest of the azumarill sets are in a good spot.

I think belly drum azumarill should go down to B+. Lets look at the definition of a B rank and an A rank. "A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the OU metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits." I would say belly drum azumarill is a great set, it has trouble finding an opportunity to set up. While its not hard to set up a belly drum, it is hard to set up a belly drum while having enough HP left to do lots of sweeping. especially because lots of pokemon can come in and take a +6 Aqua jet then KO. Also belly drum azumarill has trouble with scizor, ferrothorn, mega venusaur, talonflame, mega pinsir, rotom-w, gyarados, lati twins, manaphy, keldeo, dragonite, etc. Its hard to get a good sweep or knock out a decent amount of pokemon with belly drum azumarill, especially because your opponent probably has a good check or counter built into their team even if they didnt prepare for going up against a belly drum azumarill. Now lets look at the B rank. "B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the OU metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential."
This is where belly drum azumarill belongs. You do need support if you want to use it as a sweeper or just to dent teams, especially when the AV azumarill is bulkier, and CB has more initial power. I would say both are more effective than belly drum azumarill, especially when you consider the sitrus berry is one use.

Belly drum azumarill belongs in the B+ rank. The rest of the azumarill sets are in a good spot.
I support the idea of moving down the BD Azumarill, but just to A- first. It is clear that it is risky, and not very versatile like the AV and CB set, but that's always the problem with all the set-up sweepers. Almost all of the Dragon Dancers are revenge killed, while Azumarill can deal with Greninja and non-CB Talonflame better than other set up sweepers. Set-up sweepers are used after the checks and counters are removed, and that also goes to BD Azumarill as well. B+ is too low for BD Azumarill in my opinion. A- looks enough, possibly too low, but par with Swords Dance Diggersby.
Belly Drum Azumarill for A-

Valmanway

Just to make an update. I've been making a preliminary ranking list for as many sets as I can. Bear in mind that most if not all of these rankings are not set in stone, and can be changed at any time if there's enough support for a change.

The thread is kind of dying..
Is it possible for a mon to be ranked in S, and have no sets in S? Char-X now has the problem, and if it's ranked as an S rank mon, shouldn't it have at least one set in S? So I think all the mons need to have at least one set(which is their best one) in their corresponding rank, to make sense. Or does a bunch of A+ sets mean versatility?

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Sp.def Heatran -> A
In all honesty the offensive balloon tran is generally a better choice. Sp.def tran has a lot less offensive prescence and alows for more things to switch in freely such as keldeo.

Offensive balloon rocks tran -> A+
Such a good mon right now, great offensive prescence, checks some dangerous pokemon and lays the ever needed stealth rocks very reliably.

Choice scarf keldeo -> A
Quite often an inferior choice, the lack of power is really noticable and I simply can't see this next to the A+ behemoths.

Swords dance talonflame -> A+
Sorry what, wth isn't this thing A+. It destroys the ever present mag + pinsir teams and rips offense as well as being great verse defence as well.

Hazard control mew -> A-
Either has to forgo knock off, taunt or wisp which really hampers at its effectiveness, normal mew is plainly better if you can afford to use it.

3 attacks swords dance mega scizor -> A
So, so good in this meta. Runs quite a bit of speed to outspeed things like rotom-wash. Great power, good bulk for set-up opportunities and just all round amazing set.

Choice scarf diggersby -> B+
Has huge competition with lando t, and the sd set is generally better.

Choice specs magnezone -> B+
Uses a lot of usefulness vs offence, the most prominent playstyle right now.

Mixed rain sweeper kingdra -> unranked
Wth, no one runs this. The only kindra set is LO or specs or accasionly band, get this ass unranked asap.

Specs kingdra -> B
Main kingdra set, rly powerful ect.

Band kingdra -> C
Not as good as specs kingdra, but certainly unexpected.

Specs raikou -> B
Great mon, rly powerful as a pivot, and just as good as its av set.

Band entei -> B-
almost every entei is band, and for good reason, the loss of power is very noticable.

Life orb Omaster -> C+
Still a really viable option, it can run knock off and even stealth rock withought being locked into a move.

Sorry if i seemed to ramble, but this can be a rly good thing for people trying to see what set to use for the 'good' mons in the meta.

Sp.def Heatran -> A
In all honesty the offensive balloon tran is generally a better choice. Sp.def tran has a lot less offensive prescence and alows for more things to switch in freely such as keldeo.

Offensive balloon rocks tran -> A+
Such a good mon right now, great offensive prescence, checks some dangerous pokemon and lays the ever needed stealth rocks very reliably.

Choice scarf keldeo -> A
Quite often an inferior choice, the lack of power is really noticable and I simply can't see this next to the A+ behemoths.

Swords dance talonflame -> A+
Sorry what, wth isn't this thing A+. It destroys the ever present mag + pinsir teams and rips offense as well as being great verse defence as well.

Hazard control mew -> A-
Either has to forgo knock off, taunt or wisp which really hampers at its effectiveness, normal mew is plainly better if you can afford to use it.

3 attacks swords dance mega scizor -> A
So, so good in this meta. Runs quite a bit of speed to outspeed things like rotom-wash. Great power, good bulk for set-up opportunities and just all round amazing set.

Choice scarf diggersby -> B+
Has huge competition with lando t, and the sd set is generally better.

Choice specs magnezone -> B+
Uses a lot of usefulness vs offence, the most prominent playstyle right now.

Mixed rain sweeper kingdra -> unranked
Wth, no one runs this. The only kindra set is LO or specs or accasionly band, get this ass unranked asap.

Specs kingdra -> B
Main kingdra set, rly powerful ect.

Band kingdra -> C
Not as good as specs kingdra, but certainly unexpected.

Specs raikou -> B
Great mon, rly powerful as a pivot, and just as good as its av set.

Band entei -> B-
almost every entei is band, and for good reason, the loss of power is very noticable.

Life orb Omaster -> C+
Still a really viable option, it can run knock off and even stealth rock withought being locked into a move.

Sorry if i seemed to ramble, but this can be a rly good thing for people trying to see what set to use for the 'good' mons in the meta.
I agree with everything except for the life orb omaster being C+. It should probably be C minus, I cant see it being on the same level as other C+ pokemon, its defensive typing is terrible.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with everything except for the life orb omaster being C+. It should probably be C minus, I cant see it being on the same level as other C+ pokemon, its defensive typing is terrible.
Considering that Omastar is an offensive mon and that Kabutops has the same typing and is less powerful yet ranked higher, I don't see how that's an issue...

Reactions: zbr
I am trying to classify what the tier is made up of.
S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the OU metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.
Very 'flexible' pokemons that need little to no support belongs here, and they do no matter what condition they are in. AV Azumarill, Prankster TW Thundurus, and Specs Keldeo are exactly in this condition. At the moment this tier also has Mixed Attacker Thundurus and Nasty Plot Thundurus, but they rely on some specific conditions to do their job entirely(Defog, momentum to set-up), so in my opinion, the two sets belong in A+.
Well, actually, the Mixed Attacker set can work fine without Defiant, so it can stay S, while Prankster TW set is the optimal set.
NP Thundurus to A+
Mixed Thundurus can be either S or A+; I am fine with both.

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the OU metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be compensated for when compared to their positive traits.
A+ Rank

Currently this tier consists of:
  • All of the Mega Charizard X sets
  • Powerful Wallbreakers (Landorus, Mega Charizard Y, LO Terrakion, Mega Heracross, and partially Mega Pinsir)
  • Great Stallbreakers (Talonflame, and CM Clefable)
  • Set-up Sweepers (Excadrill, Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, and RP Landorus)
  • Greninja
  • Choice Scarfed Keldeo
  • Offensive Mega Venusaur
  • Specially Defensive Heatran
  • Unaware Clefable
  • Pivot Landorus-Therian
  • Lati@s
A Rank

• Choice Banded mons (Azumarill, Dragonite, and Terrakion)
  • Choice Scarfed mons (Heatran, Latios, and Tyranitar)
  • Suicide Stealth Rock leads (Garchomp, Mamoswine, and Terrakion)
  • Defensive mons, walls and pivots (SR Clefable, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Rotom-W, and Slowbro)
  • Set-up Sweepers (DD Dragonite, SubCM Keldeo, Mega Scizor, and Mega Tyranitar)
  • Mega Wallbreakers (Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Medicham)
  • Revenge Killer Talonflame
  • Utility Gengar
  • Stallbreaker Mew
  • Defog Mew
  • Bisharp
A- Rank

• Fast Megas (Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Alakazam)
  • Walls (Amoonguss, Chansey, SubToxic Gliscor, Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Mega Venusaur)
  • Set-up Sweepers (BD Azumarill, SD Diggersby, SD Garchomp, DD Gyarados, and CM Manaphy)
  • Choice Scarfed mons (Diggersby, Garchomp, Magnezone, and Terrakion)
  • Kyurem-B
  • Specs Magnezone
  • Weather setters (Politoed, Support Tyranitar, and Hippowdon)
  • LO Mamoswine
  • Bulky Dragonite and SpD Mega Charizard Y(Bulky mons with significant offensive presence and recovery)
Please tell me if I missed something..
So..
Looking at the A Rank as a whole:
  • Scarfers are in A rank and A- rank, except for Keldeo. I don't think it deserves to be up there and we are even missing a great scarfer, if not the best, and it's Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian. This should be at least A rank if we bring CS Keldeo down to A, and A+ isn't that hard for CS Landorus-T.
  • Mega Charizard X's bulky WoW set is very 'flexible', so it is not that hard to get that Char-X in and do what it's supposed to do. I support the idea of moving Bulky WoW Mega Charizard X to S.
  • Unaware cleric Clefable is pretty passive, and it does not hit very hard, while having an exclusive niche. Not A+ worthy, but A-/A would be fine along the other walls.
  • I am not sure about the SpD Heatran, but with the mega getting more and more offensive, it can move down, while having an offensive set up in A+. Basically what Jacks0n said.
  • Kyurem-B has many sets, but I cannot tell which one is the best since people are trying many others sets right now. But I am pretty sure that Life Orb is not the optimal set for Kyurem-B. Maybe that set deserves like B+.
  • Using Defog on Mew causes FMSS. There are many mons that can Defog instead of Mew. It should move down, around to A-/B+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)