Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a stupid question - but how often does the OU list of pokes get updated and what determines if a pokémon is OU or not?
Sorta new to Smogon still.

What are some ways of dealing with Azumarill on more offensive teams that don't want to bring something like Ferrothorn or Mega Venusaur?
Tentacruel can be used on a rain offence team, but other than that, Water-Fairy has perfect type coverage I believe.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This might be a stupid question - but how often does the OU list of pokes get updated and what determines if a pokémon is OU or not?
Sorta new to Smogon still.
The OU list gets updates every three months. A Pokemon is determined to be OU if its overall usage in the past three month is over 3.41%.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Thanks a ton, that makes a lot more sense since I feel like the current OU list have mons that're very rarely seen anymore.
Yes, that's very true. Pokemon like Togekiss, Quagsire, Vaporeon, and Smeargle will all (very likely) drop to UU in the next tier shift (six days).

Anyone know a good moveset for Hawlucha for singles?

I was thinking:

Hawlucha
Jolly Nature
Ability Unburden
Item: (need item it can get rid of quick)

Moveset:
Quick Guard
Me First
Flying Press
Sky Drop or Sky Attack

Can someone help?

Anyone know a good moveset for Hawlucha for singles?

I was thinking:

Hawlucha
Jolly Nature
Ability Unburden
Item: (need item it can get rid of quick)

Moveset:
Quick Guard
Me First
Flying Press
Sky Drop or Sky Attack

Can someone help?
Take Quick Guard and Me First off the move Set immediately. lol Quick Gaurd is 100% useless in singles (may as well use protect) and Me First is a crap move because you have to be faster to use it and it usually just mean you get to hit your enemy with an attack that KOs you but not them.
Also forget Sky Drop. Flying and Levitate Pokemon are immune to it so you might as well pick a Flying Type STAB that actually hits more things (and doesn't give your enemy two turns of leftover use for every one time you hit them)

You want to be able to drop an item quick (which is the right thing to do with unburden) so that means Hawchula will usually be without an item. This means Acrobatics is your best Flying Attack. Without an item it is a base 110 move with no draw backs.

Flying press is fun for it's novelty but it has considerably less power than High Jump Kick. Also the fact that it has a Flying type multiplier included in the calculation takes away form the point of running an alternative attack to Acrobatics anyways. Like, the main reason to put different types of attacks on a move set is to be able to more effectively hit more types. Electric, Rock, and Steel resist Flying type. Flying Press ends up hitting Rocks and Steels neutrally and Electric types still resist all your attacks while a pure Fighting attack give you something to hit all those types better. basically having the double typing attack is a hindrance more than a benefit when it comes to getting coverage on more Pokemon. So use High Jump Kick over Flying Press.

I think you can consider keeping Sky attack on the set though. If Hawlucha is holding a Power Herb then on the first turn you can use Sky attack and "get rid" of the Power Herb. That means you get to fire off a STAB base 140 attack and double your speed in one move.

Fighting and Flying attacks get really good coverage on their own. So you don't really need any more attacks. if you wanted a 3rd attack then maybe like Poison Jab or X-Scissor for hitting Fairies or Psychics trying to capitalize on your Fighting Type. But Honestly your probably better off using Roost or Swords Dance or something in the last slot.

So a set like this will be good prolly:

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Jolly
Unburden

Roost/Swords Dance
Sky Attack
Acrobatics
High Jump Kick

and then obviously max out the EVs in Speed and Attacks with the last 6 in Defense.

Last edited:
Take Quick Guard and Me First off the move Set immediately. lol Quick Gaurd is 100% useless in singles (may as well use protect) and Me First is a crap move because you have to be faster to use it and it usually just mean you get to hit your enemy with an attack that KOs you but not them.
Also forget Sky Drop. Flying and Levitate Pokemon are immune to it so you might as well picking a Flying Type STAB that actually hits more things (and doesn't give your enemy two turns of leftover use for every one time you hit them)

You want to be able to drop an item quick (which is the right thing to do with unburned) so that means Hawchula will usually be without an item. This means Acrobatics is your best Flying Attack. Without an item it is a base 110 move with no draw backs.

Flying press is fun for it's novelty but it has considerably less power than High Jump Kick. Also the fact that it has a Flying type multiplier is ncluded in the calculation takes away form the point of running an alternative attack to Acrobatics anyways. Like, the main reason to put different types of attacks on a move set is to be able to more effectively hit more types. Electric, Rock, and Steel resist Flying type. Flying Press ends up hitting Rocks and Steels neutrally and Electric types still resist all your attacks while a pure Fighting attack give you something to hit all those types better. basically having the double typing attack is a hindrance more than a benefit when it comes to getting coverage on more Pokemon. So use High Jump Kick over Flying Press.

I think you can consider keeping Sky attack on the set though. If Hawlucha is holding a Power Herb then on the first turn you can use Sky attack and "get rid" of the Power Herb. That means you get to fire off a STAB base 140 attack and double your speed in one move.

Fighting and Flying attacks get really good coverage on their own. So you don't really need any more attacks. if you wanted a 3rd attack then maybe like Poison Jab or X-Scissor for hitting Fairies or Psychicc trying to capitalize on your Fighting Type. But Honeslty your probably better off using Roost or Swords Dance or something in the last slot.

So a set like this will be good prolly:

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Jolly
Unburden

Roost/Swords Dance
Sky Attack
Acrobatics
High Jump Kick

and then obviously max out the EVs in Speed and Attacks with the last 6 in Deffense.
but do you think the hawlucha will last long in singles?

Is it true that on the cartridge game critical hits do not ignore reflect/light screen, but on PS they do? If so, will PS change it to keep it in line with the actual game?

but do you think the hawlucha will last long in singles?
Depends on how you're using him and what's on your opponent's team. Certain specific commonly used Pokemon in the OU tier give Hawlucha a hard time (like those with powerful Flying Type priority attacks) which is why Hawlucha is currently BL and not OU. However he's otherwise a crazy good sweeper thanks to his speed increasing ability and his powerful attacks (plus the option to Swords Dance)
The best way to use him is to identify what kinds of things your enemy can do to keep him from sweeping them, and then bring him out once you mitigate those things. For instance build up a little damage on their physical wall or try to KO one of their priority users. once some of the measures they can take to keep you from sweeping them have been removed send out hawlucha and try to sweep. In this sense he will "last long" because you are being careful when to play him. if you send him out carelessly or recklessly spam high jump kick while the enemy has ghost types then he probably won't last too long... this is the usually the case with fast offensive monsters though.

Is it true that on the cartridge game critical hits do not ignore reflect/light screen, but on PS they do? If so, will PS change it to keep it in line with the actual game?
I'm pretty sure that's not true. Crits will ignore screens in the cartridge.

Last edited:
Depends on how you're using him and what's on your opponent's team. Certain specific commonly used Pokemon in the OU tier give Hawlucha a hard time (like those with powerful Flying Type priority attacks) which is why Hawlucha is currently BL and not OU. However he's otherwise a crazy good sweeper thanks to his speed increasing ability and his powerful attacks (plus the option to Swords Dance)
The best way to use him is to identify what kinds of things your enemy can do to keep him from sweeping them, and then bring him out once you mitigate those things. For instance build up a little damage on their physical wall or try to KO one of their priority users. once some of the measures they can take to keep you from sweeping them have been removed send out hawlucha and try to sweep. I nthis sense he will "last long" because you are being careful when to play him. if you send him out carelessly or recklessly spam high jump kick while the enmy has ghost types then he probably won't last too long... this is the usually the case with fast offensive monsters though.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Crits will ignore screens in the cartridge.
alright so i need to balance out his ev training then lol

alright so i need to balance out his ev training then lol
Umm.. not sure what that means. But if you mean balance out his EVs among his stats then no. The post you're quoting is about the strategy of using Hawlucha in battle and not abut his EVs. I mentioned those above.
.... max out the EVs in Speed and Attacks with the last 6 in Defense.
I'm also feeling like I should say this for you: If you use this set then only use Sky Attack the one time to use up you Power Herb. After that always use Acrobatics instead of Sky Attack. The only reason to use Sky Attack is to activate Unburden while executing a powerful move. After your Power Herb is gone it is a terrible option so don't click it.

Umm.. not sure what that means. But if you mean balance out his EVs among his stats then no. The post you're quoting is about the strategy of using Hawlucha in battle and not abut his EVs. I mentioned those above.

I'm also feeling like I should say this for you: If you use this set then only use Sky Attack the one time to use up you Power Herb. After that always use Acrobatics instead of Sky Attack. The only reason to use Sky Attack is to activate Unburden while executing a powerful move. After your Power Herb is gone it is a terrible option so don't click it.
I know that part of hawlucha, but i mean when i put super training on Hawlucha i am going to balance it out so i can have some defense on my hawlucha and when i use the power herb, the speed stat can also get boosted

I know that part of hawlucha, but i mean when i put super training on Hawlucha i am going to balance it out so i can have some defense on my hawlucha and when i use the power herb, the speed stat can also get boosted
No, you probably want to stick to maxing out speed. Hawchula is base 118 speed which is really damn good, but you still need to invest. It gives you a bigger list of Pokemon to start setting up on (because you're naturally are faster) It also means you don't have to rely on the ONE time you get your unburden boost. It gives you the freedom to bring Hawlucha in on Slower Pokemon and just attack one time and switch out. Letting him become an active part of your offensive presence without him HAVING to try to sweep every time he comes out. Alternatively it means he'll still be useful even if you use up your boost and are then forced to switch out for some reason.

So definitely put all the EVs in attack and speed. Like I said 118 is really good. It's good enough that you can get away with running Adamant nature instead of Jolly, if you want. You still barley out speed base 100s and even Garchomp at base 102. There are notable Pokemon that you lose the ability to out speed without Unburden boost if you run Adamant thought (everything from base 103 Emolga to 116 Zebstrika, so things like Gengar, Lati@s, and the gen5 geenies and fighting ponies, and even Starmie) but extra power is good because Hawlucha's attack stat is stunningly average to be honest. And you will of course out speed all those Pokemon with the unburden boost, just not at points outside of your sweep attempt.

tl;dr EVs should be max in speed and attack but running Adamant over Jolly can be worthwhile.

No, you probably want to stick to maxing out speed. Hawchula is base 118 speed which is really damn good, but you still need to invest. It gives you a bigger list of Pokemon to start setting up on (because you're naturally are faster) It also means you don't have to rely on the ONE time you get your unburden boost. It gives you the freedom to bring Hawlucha in on Slower Pokemon and just attack one time and switch out. Letting him become an active part of your offensive presence without him HAVING to try to sweep every time he comes out. Alternatively it means he'll still be useful even if you use up your boost and are then forced to switch out for some reason.

So definitely put all the EVs in attack and speed. Like I said 118 is really good. It's good enough that you can get away with running Adamant nature instead of Jolly, if you want. You still barley out speed base 100s and even Garchomp at base 102. There are notable Pokemon that you lose the ability to out speed without Unburden boost if you run Adamant thought (everything from base 103 Emolga to 116 Zebstrika, so things like Gengar, Lati@s, and the gen5 geenies and fighting ponies, and even Starmie) but extra power is good because Hawlucha's attack stat is stunningly average to be honest. And you will of course out speed all those Pokemon with the unburden boost, just not at points outside of your sweep attempt.

tl;dr EVs should be max in speed and attack but running Adamant over Jolly can be worthwhile.
alright so run so max out attack and speed for jolly nature and put the rest on defense

Who are some good teammates for Mega Alakazam, and in your opinion what is Mega Alakazam's best set?

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Who are some good teammates for Mega Alakazam, and in your opinion what is Mega Alakazam's best set?
Alakazam's best moveset is, imo, Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, and Protect. Good teammates are bulky mons that handle priority, which Zam is weak to. Mons like Ferrothorn and Ferrothorn are good for this job. Also, Alakazam needs Taunt + Psyshock to beat Chansey. But, if you use Psychic + Protect, which is what I prefer, you need a mon that destroys Chansey. Any Fighting-type or mon with Knock Off generally suffices. Lastly, Zam 2hkos about everything, but sometimes struggles to ohko stuff. A SR setter like Ttar is nice to help it beat stuff like Latios.

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Mega Alakazam's arguable best set is Sub/Taunt (beats out any Sucker Punch users and allows you to beat Chansey 1v1), Psyshock/Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast.

I'll elaborate further, but Breloom is a fantastic partner if you're running Taunt, as it can take out Bisharp and other common Scarfers like Terrakion before you attempt to start a sweep. Be careful, as Loom still has trouble switching in. Also, something important to know is that Zam is fantastic against Stall and if you have bulkier pivots, against Rain and Sand offense. Use whatever can guarantee you switching in and out opportunities, so Ferrothorn, Heatran, etc. Also, LIMIT PASSIVE DAMAGE. You'll notice a large increase in what Zam bring to the table if you keep it alive and well.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I've got two questions for ya.

A friend of mine has been nice enough to breed me a blaziken since I don't have pokebank, and I bought the cart just over a month ago, and I'm too late to get blazikenite :(

So I'm trying to run a physical non-mega blaziken set for battle spot. My current moves are Protect, Flare Blitz, HJK and Shadow claw. Since I don't have acess to pokebank, I can't get a knock off blaziken... so is this a good set? And is night slash a better option than shadow claw, or is it the other way round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)