Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys. I've got two questions for ya.

A friend of mine has been nice enough to breed me a blaziken since I don't have pokebank, and I bought the cart just over a month ago, and I'm too late to get blazikenite :(

So I'm trying to run a physical non-mega blaziken set for battle spot. My current moves are Protect, Flare Blitz, HJK and Shadow claw. Since I don't have acess to pokebank, I can't get a knock off blaziken... so is this a good set? And is night slash a better option than shadow claw, or is it the other way round?
Shadow claw would probably be better but it makes pretty much no difference, as they only hit hard than your STAB if they are SE, and ur stab is NVE (pretty much agaisnt chandelure/jellicent. You can always put sword dance instead (or baton pass), but the set is fine :)

Shadow claw would probably be better but it makes pretty much no difference, as they only hit hard than your STAB if they are SE, and ur stab is NVE (pretty much agaisnt chandelure/jellicent. You can always put sword dance instead (or baton pass), but the set is fine :)
Thanks! One more question, any good team mates for the physical attacker blaziken?

You might want to put that in the Ubers Simple Question Simple Answer thread as Blaziken is banned from OU.
I'm talking about battle spot, on the cart, but I still get what you're saying. Sorry. ._.

wait aren't questions about cart mechanics allowed here? I mean, just scroll up, the past few conversations are cart related.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks! One more question, any good team mates for the physical attacker blaziken?
mega blazekin dislikes bulky water types/mega pinsir/talon flame/azumarril, so rotom-w is a good partner (it is also immune to ground while resisting flying/water). If you are using it as a late game sweeper, strong wall breakers could be helpful in order to ware the opponent down in order for you to sweep, off the top of my head (assuming this is battle spot rules), something like aegislash or mega mawile.

Just mainly have something to deal with priority and bulky water types

So a set like this will be good prolly:

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Jolly
Unburden

Roost/Swords Dance
Sky Attack
Acrobatics
High Jump Kick

and then obviously max out the EVs in Speed and Attacks with the last 6 in Defense.

That's your basic Hawlucha set right there, though I *believe* it actually can run Adamant if it's going Unburden because it appreciates the extra kick and outspeeds pretty much everything that's unboosted once it gets Unburden up.

Another set from the Hawlucha discussion thread, though, right here.
Hawlucha (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
Set up Substitute and use Sub/SD to boost while wearing yourself down into Sitrus range, then once Sitrus triggers enter Enraged Hawk Mode and go to town. At that point your only primary counter is Zapdos or Thundy; if you've got a Sub up, M-Pinsir and Talonflame get wrecked.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys. I've got two questions for ya.

A friend of mine has been nice enough to breed me a blaziken since I don't have pokebank, and I bought the cart just over a month ago, and I'm too late to get blazikenite :(

So I'm trying to run a physical non-mega blaziken set for battle spot. My current moves are Protect, Flare Blitz, HJK and Shadow claw. Since I don't have acess to pokebank, I can't get a knock off blaziken... so is this a good set? And is night slash a better option than shadow claw, or is it the other way round?
From what I've seen in the Ubers and Battle Spot forums, Baton Pass and Swords Dance are better than a third attack. SD helps it sweep easier, due to doubling its already massive attack, and BP helps it support its teammates with Speed. Since Azumarill takes lol damage from Shadow Claw, a neutral Flare Blitz hits Gengar harder than a se Shadow Claw, and Jellicent isn't really relevant, there's no real downside to forgoing it.
Blaziken ohkos stuff like Rotom-W after using a Swords Dance, so if you decide to use SD > SC, which you should, the amount of support it need lowers. Basically, you need something to handle azumarill + something to handle Pinsir + Talonflame. That's about it.

And yeah, Ninjastars is right, any questions about battle spot should go in the battle spot forum.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Any word on the next suspect? When and what will we be suspecting?
There hasn't been any official statement or anything, but from what I've heard, Thundurus will be the next suspect. I'm not sure when it'll happen or if it'll definitely happen. After/if there is a Thundy suspect, I think that'll be it until ORAS, since nothing else jumps out as potentially broken.

How do you tell if Charizard is going to mega evolve into X or Y? How accurate are you?
I'm really bad at predicting the mega evo and would like some help.

That's your basic Hawlucha set right there, though I *believe* it actually can run Adamant if it's going Unburden because it appreciates the extra kick and outspeeds pretty much everything that's unboosted once it gets Unburden up.

Another set from the Hawlucha discussion thread, though, right here.

Set up Substitute and use Sub/SD to boost while wearing yourself down into Sitrus range, then once Sitrus triggers enter Enraged Hawk Mode and go to town. At that point your only primary counter is Zapdos or Thundy; if you've got a Sub up, M-Pinsir and Talonflame get wrecked.
alright thank you but i might run with the jolly set since i compete alot for money and also i love hawlucha

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
How do you tell if Charizard is going to mega evolve into X or Y? How accurate are you?
I'm really bad at predicting the mega evo and would like some help.
A generally good indicator if the team is based on Charizard-Y is if it has a Pursuit trapper + a fighting-types on the team. So for example, if a team is Charizard, Scizor, and Keldeo, you can assume it's Charizard-Y. Since Char-Y needs more support, if you don't see those those two things on a team with Charizard, it's usually X. However you can face a team with a Pursuit trapper and a fighting type, and still face X.

Hopefully that isn't confusing. Basically look out for Pursuit trappers (bisharp, tyranitar, scizor, absol, galvantula [jk about galv]) and fighting types (Keldeo, terrakion, infernape, conkeldurr, lucario), and if either of the two isn't present, it's very likely to be x.

Why is Mega Cross(A+)on the OU ladder BL while Diancie(C-) is OU?
MegaCross doesn't see enough usage to be OU despite being extremely effective at wallbreaking. Diancie was dropped in OU after being released but only has a few niches, it'll drop to UU next time usage stats are updated.

Anty

let's drop
What tier they are in has nothing to do with a pokemons viability.

Also, Diancie has just been added, so will mostly likely drop a tier by the end of the three months (this september). Also, aegislash has recently been banned, which walled mega herra, so only recently has it become much better

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
the analysis says adamant 248 hp / 140 atk / 64 def / 56 spe; outspeeds adamant mega hera and avoids the 2HKO from adamant mega medicham's HJK
Nitpicky, I know, but you need 68 defense EVs for Medicham, so the spread would be 248 HP / 136 Atk / 68 Def / 56 Spe with a Jolly nature. Before Mega Heracross became so popular I used a different spread that outsped jolly megatar and ohkod medicham while being 3hkod by hjk, but since you need so much speed now, that isn't possible.

btw calcs for reference:
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 68 Def Victini: 181-213 (44.9 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Victini: 182-214 (45.1 - 53.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

First, usage ≠ viability. Good stuff gets bad usage, bad stuff gets high usage. But actually, those two cases are a bit different. Mega Heracross was banned from UU, but it was never that good in OU because of Aegislash. Now, Aegislash is banned, so Mega Heracross can shine. Usage updates every three months, so the latest statistics are still from the Deoxys metagame. In the next tier ship, Heracross, and by effect Mega Heracross, will be OU. Diancie is also different, since it was released after everything else was, it was immediately put into OU. However, it actually has never been OU by usage, and will fall to UU next month without any trouble.

More curios than anything: can Cursed Body disable multiple moves? And if non-Mega Banette (this is the one Pokemon it's relevant on) has Disabled one of its opponent's moves, can it still pull off Cursed Body hax, and similarly, if Banette has disabled something with Cursed Body, can it still use Disable?

(Afaik Banette is the only thing I know that has both Disable and Cursed Body.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)