Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's an easy way to shut down Landorus? I'm having some trouble with them using a new team I've made.
SDef Gliscor is also a pretty good answer to both Landorus forms, provided Toxic Orb has been activated before you take the Knock Off, and provided no HP Ice. The set in question is the first set onsite

What's the consensus on Support Tyrantitar? The analysis is a little outdated, and the raw data doesn't list by movesets w/ items.
I assume you meant for sandstorm support yea? Support TTar is pretty much very versatile, having close to 20 different ways it can choose its moves. Stealth Rock is pretty standard; then pick 3 from Stone Edge/Pursuit/Crunch/Ice Beam/Earthquake/Fire Blast would be the way to go. Max out HP and Def with Impish or Relaxed nature. Just have to make sure Pursuit isn't your only physical move and you are pretty much solid. The one I like most is Stone Edge/Ice Beam/Fire Blast/SR.

I was wondering where I would find the sets for Sp def Gliscor and Sp def Talonflame and if someone could tell me about some more sets on the rise too please, I haven't played since before the Aegislash ban iirc.
Also, what is currently the best bird spam check?

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.
I was wondering where I would find the sets for Sp def Gliscor and Sp def Talonflame and if someone could tell me about some more sets on the rise too please, I haven't played since before the Aegislash ban iirc.
Also, what is currently the best bird spam check?

SpD Gliscor:

- Taunt
- Roost
-Toxic / Knock Off
- Earthquake / Knock Off
ability: Poison Heal
item: Toxic Orb
evs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
nature: Careful

This set is popular because of Gliscors abillity to wall common special attackers such as Landorus-I, Latios, and Gengar while it still can take on physical attackers such as Excadrill, and Terrakion. It does also work as a stallbreaker with Toxic, Taunt and Knock off witch makes it a very important poké for stall to beat opposing stall teams.
The speed EVs are used so that Gliscor can outspeed Jolly Tyarnitar, and everything slower. Then the rest makes Gliscor as bulky as posible.

This set rose before because it can wall pokémons that can be problemataic for stall like Landorus-I, and was one of the few counters to Aegislash.

SpD Talonflame:

- Brave Bird
- Taunt / Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp / Bulk up
ability: Gale Wings
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe

This Talonflame is supposed to stallbreak, and possibly sweep if you choose Bulk Up. It is best against stall either way but without Bulk Up you have to stall out the opposing walls with Will-O-Wisp, and Taunt. If you choose to use Bulk Up you can potentally sweep through the opposing team.

This set rose because it can cripple common Talonflame switch-ins with Will-O-Wisp such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T, and set up on some "counters" such as Heatran without Toxic. And with accses to status, taunt and reliably recovery Talonflame has everything it needs to stop stall.

Counters to bird spam hasn't changed much, except Rotom-Wash is not as reliably anymore because of Mega Pinsirs can afford to run Close Combat now when Aegislash is gone, and Slowbro has gained popularity. Some good counters are: Skarmory, and Slowbro and common checks are: Landorus-T, and Mega Manetctric. And you should of course keep Stealth Rocks on the opposing field because of the huge rock weakness.

Last edited:

SpD Gliscor:

- Taunt
- Roost
-Toxic / Knock Off
- Earthquake / Knock Off
ability: Poison Heal
item: Toxic Orb
evs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe

This set is popular because of Gliscors abillity to wall common special attackers such as Landorus-I, Latios, and Gengar while it still can take on physical attackers such as Excadrill, and Terrakion. It does also work as a stallbreaker with Toxic, Taunt and Knock off witch makes it a very important poké for stall to beat opposing stall teams.
The speed EVs are used so that Gliscor can outspeed Jolly Tyarnitar, and everything slower. Then the rest makes Gliscor as bulky as posible.

This set rose before because it can wall pokémons that can be problemataic for stall like Landorus-I, and was one of the few counters to Aegislash.

SpD Talonflame:

- Brave Bird
- Taunt / Bulk Up
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp / Bulk up
ability: Gale Wings
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe

This Talonflame is supposed to stallbreak, and possibly sweep if you choose Bulk Up. It is best against stall either way but without Bulk Up you have to stall out the opposing walls with Will-O-Wisp, and Taunt. If you choose to use Bulk Up you can potentally sweep through the opposing team.

This set rose because it can cripple common Talonflame switch-ins with Will-O-Wisp such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T, and set up on some "counters" such as Heatran without Toxic. And with accses to status, taunt and reliably recovery Talonflame has everything it needs to stop stall.

Counters to bird spam hasn't changed much, except Rotom-Wash is not as reliably anymore because of Mega Pinsirs can afford to run Close Combat now when Aegislash is gone, and Slowbro has gained popularity. Some good counters are: Skarmory, and Slowbro and common checks are: Landorus-T, and Mega Manetctric. And you should of course keep Stealth Rocks on the opposing field because of the huge rock weakness.

Thanks, I assume Gliscor is Careful nature too?
The Gliscor set sounds Useful :D

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
just came back from a break and and found out gothelle is OU. Aegislash banning to ubers suddenly made her viable?
Goth was actually viable before the Aegi ban. It is more viable now, but I'm not necessarily sure the Aegi ban was why it slightly went up in usage. If you want to look at mons whose usage increased solely because of the Aegi ban, look at Hera, Zam, Garde, Cham, and Starmie.

just came back from a break and and found out gothelle is OU. Aegislash banning to ubers suddenly made her viable?
That had a small effect, but it was Shadow Tag that makes it effective. Being able to take something out with specs or tricking a choice item to a defensive pokemon is huge and that is Goth's main niche

Im not really sure where this would go, but i guess ill post it here. Does Japan have a competitive pokemon site? If so, where can I find it? Im just curious because id like to compare it to ours

Im not really sure where this would go, but i guess ill post it here. Does Japan have a competitive pokemon site? If so, where can I find it? Im just curious because id like to compare it to ours
Smogon is the second thing that comes up when I Google "competitive Pokemon". So I go to Google translate and plug in "competitive Pokemon" and look up what it translates to in Japanese (競争力のあるポケモン). The first non-Facebook website linked me to a shoe store so... no? I only shared this because it was too weird to make-up.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
They don't really have any sort of central competitive site, no. From what I understand, most of their stuff is shared on personal blogs and things like that.

There are a few sites out there that have a bunch of different sets for things. The people in the battle spot forum found this place, if you can manage to decipher the hilarious google translated engrish

Does Mega Heracross do okay against HO teams too?
I have been using it ALOT lately ans I find it amazing, against stall and Bulky Offence, but for some reason haven't been able to try it against a skilled HO player yet.

So how does it fair against the most common playstyle

For the XY OU Viability Ranking Thread: what status is the blacklist specifically? is it "if you're going to start an actual discussion on one of these Pokemon, your post(s) will be deleted"? or "if you're going to start an actual discussion on one of these Pokemon, you better have a damn good reason"? Because from what I can tell, they're all bad because they're outclassed by something - and while that's mostly true, I see two exceptions, in Darmanitan and Florges. Darm is for the teams that need Scarf Physical Victini and can afford the speed drop, yet can't handle another psychic-type. Florges is different - yes, it's completely outclassed by Sylveon. But by how much? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gap is so small that I think it's perfectly fine if someone uses Florges over Sylveon because they like Florges better - not to mention the psychological effect of using a pokemon you like over one you don't like actually making you end up using it more wisely can help close the viability gap (and yes, I have observed that phenomenon before).

If it sounds like I'm gonna try and start a discussion on those two mons anywhere, don't worry, I won't - those probably aren't good enough reasons anyway.

Also, I'm not understanding this that much"how my opponent has been playing up until this point"
What exactly does this mean?
Does it mean if they have been making safer plays up until this point(meaning that they will likely continue) or if they have been making more aggressive plays(which would be like double switching, right?)

I have been using it ALOT lately ans I find it amazing, against stall and Bulky Offence, but for some reason haven't been able to try it against a skilled HO player yet.

If you want to use MCross against HO, Sub is probably your best option, in lieu of SD

It doesn't fair great, but underrated bulk allows it to take some decent hits and hit back. If you manage to get it is safely it can be tough for the opponent to take out. Without losing something.

For the XY OU Viability Ranking Thread: what status is the blacklist specifically? is it "if you're going to start an actual discussion on one of these Pokemon, your post(s) will be deleted"? or "if you're going to start an actual discussion on one of these Pokemon, you better have a damn good reason"? Because from what I can tell, they're all bad because they're outclassed by something - and while that's mostly true, I see two exceptions, in Darmanitan and Florges. Darm is for the teams that need Scarf Physical Victini and can afford the speed drop, yet can't handle another psychic-type. Florges is different - yes, it's completely outclassed by Sylveon. But by how much? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gap is so small that I think it's perfectly fine if someone uses Florges over Sylveon because they like Florges better - not to mention the psychological effect of using a pokemon you like over one you don't like actually making you end up using it more wisely can help close the viability gap (and yes, I have observed that phenomenon before).

If it sounds like I'm gonna try and start a discussion on those two mons anywhere, don't worry, I won't - those probably aren't good enough reasons anyway.
You better have a darn good reason to talk about them. Things are blacklisted most because they lead to horrible arguments that derail the thread. TBH those two are viable, but outclassed. The standards for being outclassed on something is pretty low comparatively, mostly because we don't want to be nitpicky. An extra few points of bulk or the loss of a secondary typing are small things in the big picture.

Also, I'm not understanding this that much"how my opponent has been playing up until this point"
Does it mean if they have been making safer plays up until this point(meaning that they will likely continue) or if they have been making more aggressive plays(which would be like double switching, right?)
Also, thanks to the two people who answered my question :D

What context is this quote in? But generally speaking, yeah, it's just referring to any tendencies your opponent has displayed thus far.

Hello everybody! This is my first post, tough I've been lurking for a while and only made an account today.

So anyway I've been wondering: Why do the Latis have Roost listed in their analysis but not Recover? From what I know they heal the same amount of HP, the only difference being that Roost removes their Ground immunity and has no benefits over Recover that I can see. Is their any reason for this or is it just up to personal preference?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello everybody! This is my first post, tough I've been lurking for a while and only made an account today.

So anyway I've been wondering: Why do the Latis have Roost listed in their analysis but not Recover? From what I know they heal the same amount of HP, the only difference being that Roost removes their Ground immunity and has no benefits over Recover that I can see. Is their any reason for this or is it just up to personal preference?
Roost looks cooler. That's really the only reason, since there's no difference in move legality or anything.

:)

Also, Roost removes the Flying-type, not necessarily the ground immunity. The Latis are still immune to Ground type moves when they use Roost (unless the opponent has Mold Breaker/Teravolt).

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Florges is different - yes, it's completely outclassed by Sylveon. But by how much? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gap is so small that I think it's perfectly fine if someone uses Florges over Sylveon because they like Florges better - not to mention the psychological effect of using a pokemon you like over one you don't like actually making you end up using it more wisely can help close the viability gap (and yes, I have observed that phenomenon before).
I don't know about darmanitan, but florges does exactly the same thing sylveon does, has slightly worse bulk (sylveon's bigger HP makes up for its worse Def), but most importantly has much less offensive presence. Sylveon's pixilate hyper voices are MUCH more powerful than florges' moonblasts, and they can go through substitutes as well.

Sylveon's also got a pretty good specs set whereas florges doesn't really have a role outside of its cleric one (as far as I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)