Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a Volcarona came in on SR and used Roost to get it back to full HP, if it got hit by a move that would KO it, and it was holding a Sash, would it activate?
(Simpler version: If a Pokemon that took prior damage got back to full health and got to 100% HP got hit by a move that would KO it, would a Focus Sash activate?)
Focus Sash activates anytime something would be 100% KOed by a move so I assume so

If a Volcarona came in on SR and used Roost to get it back to full HP, if it got hit by a move that would KO it, and it was holding a Sash, would it activate?
(Simpler version: If a Pokemon that took prior damage got back to full health and got to 100% HP got hit by a move that would KO it, would a Focus Sash activate?)
In this case, the Focus Sash would be restored and activate, however if the Focus Sash has already been used and the mon is restored to 100% through Healing Wish or something of the sort, it will not reactivate.

I'm EVing a BellyJet Azumarill as per the set on the dex, which suggests 92 HP EVs. But at level 100, I ended up with an HP stat of 364. I know there's nothing screwy with my IVs - this Azumarill was the first flawless pokemon I ever bred - but isn't it generally better to have an odd HP number for sets like this? I used Super Training to ensure that I didn't accidentally give too many EVs, either, so I don't know if somehow pokerus affects super training or if I just straight-up miscounted or if the set really is meant to have an even HP number.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm EVing a BellyJet Azumarill as per the set on the dex, which suggests 92 HP EVs. But at level 100, I ended up with an HP stat of 364. I know there's nothing screwy with my IVs - this Azumarill was the first flawless pokemon I ever bred - but isn't it generally better to have an odd HP number for sets like this? I used Super Training to ensure that I didn't accidentally give too many EVs, either, so I don't know if somehow pokerus affects super training or if I just straight-up miscounted or if the set really is meant to have an even HP number.
Belly Drum Azumarill actually prefers an even amount of HP so that its sitrus berry activates right after belly drumming.

Belly Drum Azumarill actually prefers an even amount of HP so that its sitrus berry activates right after belly drumming.
Huh...I guess that makes sense. Maybe I'm just too used to looking at spreads for SR-weak pokemon (damn my love for fire types), so the whole "have an odd HP number because Stealth Rock is a literal pain in the ass" is kinda ingrained into my head. Thanks!

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does DDance ZardX need a pursuit trapper? If so which pokemon would be suitable for this role?
DD xzard doesn't need a pursuit trapper from my experience. Its main checks are azumaril/scarf lando-t or chomp/prankster twave. None of these pokes are pursuit weak nor are forced to switch if ttar/bisharp (main trappers) come in.

You might be thinking of zard-y, who is commonly paired with a pursuit trapper, to remove pokes such as the latwins and weaken chansey.

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.
DD xzard doesn't need a pursuit trapper from my experience. Its main checks are azumaril/scarf lando-t or chomp/prankster twave. None of these pokes are pursuit weak nor are forced to switch if ttar/bisharp (main trappers) come in.

You might be thinking of zard-y, who is commonly paired with a pursuit trapper, to remove pokes such as the latwins and weaken chansey.
But zard-X would actually like to have slowbro weaken and also have the latis gone as they are often able to revengekill zard, and Bisharp could potetually use Landorus-Ts Intidimate to get an attack boost and weaken it, this would recuire risky predictions but could work.

To summarize zard-x does not beed a pursuit trapper as much as othet mons do, but it could help zard sweep in a few situtions.

Gosh I sure am posting in here a lot lately

So I'm looking to breed a ton of Pumkaboo for a giveaway in October, and I always like to make sure that the mons I'm giving away are as competitively viable as possible in terms of IVs (I usually aim for at least 3 flawless ones) so that people can actually use them either right out the gate or as a springboard for their own breeding projects. I've got kind of a series of questions regarding this little mon and I didn't want to necro the Gourgeist thread, so please bear with me.

If I put a Pumkaboo in the daycare with a Ditto, with the resulting Pumpkaboo be the same size as its parent, or will it default to average size? Are any sizes viable in OU? And should I be looking at Careful or Impish for the nature?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck

So I'm looking to breed a ton of Pumkaboo for a giveaway in October, and I always like to make sure that the mons I'm giving away are as competitively viable as possible in terms of IVs (I usually aim for at least 3 flawless ones) so that people can actually use them either right out the gate or as a springboard for their own breeding projects. I've got kind of a series of questions regarding this little mon and I didn't want to necro the Gourgeist thread, so please bear with me.

If I put a Pumkaboo in the daycare with a Ditto, with the resulting Pumpkaboo be the same size as its parent, or will it default to average size? Are any sizes viable in OU? And should I be looking at Careful or Impish for the nature?
I don't know the answer to your first question. However, to answer your second question, Gourgeist-Small is the best forme in OU, and Jolly is the best nature for it.

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor

I'm going to take a little guess at this via some information I found on Bulbapedia. It says that only Average Pumpkaboo can be found in the Friend Safari, so therefore I think it will result in a Pumpkaboo that is the same size as the one you are breeding. And as for the natures thing, if you are wanting a Defensive nature, you would want Impish Gourgeist or Gourgeist-Large. Not sure of the nature best suited for Gourgeist-Small though.

EDIT: Aragorn said Jolly, I just noticed. Am stupid.

I don't know the answer to your first question. However, to answer your second question, Gourgeist-Small is the best forme in OU, and Jolly is the best nature for it.
Thanks! Is that the fast SubSeeder set with WoW and Protect/Seed Bomb?

I'm going to take a little guess at this via some information I found on Bulbapedia. It says that only Average Pumpkaboo can be found in the Friend Safari, so therefore I think it will result in a Pumpkaboo that is the same size as the one you are breeding. And as for the natures thing, if you are wanting a Defensive nature, you would want Impish Gourgeist or Gourgeist-Large. Not sure of the nature best suited for Gourgeist-Small though.

EDIT: Aragorn said Jolly, I just noticed. Am stupid.
Hm...this could be tricky, then. I wonder if there's a way to tell in-game what size Pumkpaboo you have (aside from the biggest one having a slightly different cry). Thanks!

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Hm...this could be tricky, then. I wonder if there's a way to tell in-game what size Pumkpaboo you have (aside from the biggest one having a slightly different cry). Thanks!
The simplest way to determine the size of your Pumpkaboo would be to take it to the Battle Institution or level it up, and then compare the stats on it to the Teambuilder on Pokemon Showdown!, including the EVs if applicable.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Thanks! Is that the fast SubSeeder set with WoW and Protect/Seed Bomb?

Yes, except usually with Phantom Force instead of Seed Bomb (Phantom Force acts as a pseudo-protect, which gives you extra recovery and hurts the opponent for an extra turn). Seed Bomb however is viable if you have a specific problem with bulky waters, however they usually have trouble hurting you. A timid nature is also fine if you want protect instead of an attack.

I'm still relatively new to breeding so please forgive me if I sound dumb, but will Rotom breed with a Female Duskull to get a Duskull egg? They're both in the Amorphous egg group so I'm assuming yes, but on the flip side of that coin, on Rotom's page on Serebii, it says it can only breed with Ditto. Can I have some clarifications? I'm asking because I have a 5 31 IV Rotom and these Dittos are taking forever, with only 1 or 2 IVs at a time.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
I'm still relatively new to breeding so please forgive me if I sound dumb, but will Rotom breed with a Female Duskull to get a Duskull egg? They're both in the Amorphous egg group so I'm assuming yes, but on the flip side of that coin, on Rotom's page on Serebii, it says it can only breed with Ditto. Can I have some clarifications? I'm asking because I have a 5 31 IV Rotom and these Dittos are taking forever, with only 1 or 2 IVs at a time.
Rotom is genderless, so it can only breed with Ditto.

Rotom can only breed with ditto because it's gender less, and can't breed with anything else

Can anyone tell me gyarados' weakness and some good partners for it?the analysis is confusing.

Also what's the standard set for it?The same with pre aegi ban?

Gyarados is weak to Electric and Rock-type attacks, and Mega Gyarados is weak to Grass, Electric, Fighting, Fairy and Bug moves. The typical set is its Mega set, with Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Earthquake, and either Ice Fang or Substitute in the last slot.
Edit: Taunt is also an option over Ice Fang/Sub

I believe the standard defensive builds use 252 hp evs, 252 defense or special defense evs (whichever you need) and 4 evs in the remaining defensive stat.
when i went to go check his iv's it said hes good in hp and attack what should i ev train besides hp and defense or is that it

when i went to go check his iv's it said hes good in hp and attack what should i ev train besides hp and defense or is that it
That's usually it. Assuming you're using it as a defensive wall, maxing out its hp is a given. From there, you either max out its defense or its special defense. Maxing out special defense will allow it to switch in on a larger number of mons while maxing out defense will allow it to switch in more easily against a smaller number of mons while also threatening them better. As to which one would be better, that will depend on which mons threaten your other teammates the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)