Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me gyarados' weakness and some good partners for it?the analysis is confusing.

Also what's the standard set for it?The same with pre aegi ban?
I use a bulky DD standard Gyarados, which is very effective indeed. Sub, DD, Waterfall and, unusually, I use Earthquake in slot 4. This is because opponents will often send in an electric to stop the sweep, and Earthquake after a DD will often OHKO them. Also, I send in Gyarados to counter steel attacks (resists plus intimidate) and Earthquake is good against steels.

Sub + Leftovers is the key to the set. Sub can scout for attacks if you are faster. But its main use is to obliterate stall. The opponent often gives you a free sub with an attempted status, and then often struggles to break it whilst you DD. Sub also stops you being revenged killed. Having the sub up gives you a free hit on the revenger, which can be enough for you to get the 2HKO.

Bulky DD is Adamant with some HP, some speed and some attack -- look it up in the Dex.

I prefer standard Gyarados, because I like to utilise Intimidate plus ground immunity all game. I've used the Mega a lot too and it's also very good though.

Gyarados is an excellent balanced min but it does have a few weaknesses, depending on what moves it runs and whether it is Mega or not. You'll want an answer to grass types, because unless you run Bounce, you can't do much to them (although +1 STAB Waterfall does more than you expect). And if you run a bounce, you get screwed by Electrics. I pair it with Ferrothorn, which resists electric and grass, and Gyarados covers all Ferro's weaknesses. The bulky Gyarados often appreciates Ferro paralysing things for it too. And I run it in a team with Char-Y and Tyranitar, both of whom it has excellent synergy with.

The key to my Gyarados is that sometimes it's the win condition, sometimes it's just an intimidator, sometimes it's a stall breaker and sometimes it's a hole puncher. It's wonderfully flexible in that way. It almost always contributes one way or other.

Last edited:

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.
Can anyone tell me gyarados' weakness and some good partners for it?the analysis is confusing.

Also what's the standard set for it?The same with pre aegi ban?
The standard Gyarados set is the Bulky Dragon Dance set:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute / Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

This Gyarados is supposed to be able to set up Dragon Dances while it is tanking attacks with its bulk and Intidmidate. Waterfall and Bounce is STAB attacks, but you could use Earthquake insted of Bounce. If yo do you will be counterd by bulky grass types, but with Bounce Electric types will counter you. Substitute is usally a better option, but you can use Taunt agianst walls that is trying to force you out whit Roar, or Whirlwind such as Skarmory. The EVs is used to:
  • Outspeed Noivern when you have +1 speed
  • Be able to take a burned Ferrothorns Power Whip without breaking the Sub
  • Stop many water types from breakning your Sub, like Slowbro without psychic coverage
The rest of the Evs is put into Attack to hit as hard as posible.

The standard Mega-Gyarados set is the Dragon Dance set:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang / Substitute / Taunt

With this set you are aiming to sweep the opposing team with raw power. You ser up Dragon Dances on resisted/ weak attacks, or you can play mindgames and don't mega evolve directly, then you can set up on fighting types such as Conkeldurr.
Ice Fang is for Grass types, or you can use Substitute / Taunt to prevent status.

Gyarados is weak to Electric, and Rock types and Mega Gyarados is weak to Fighting, Bug, Grass, Electric, and Fairy types.
But if you ment what Pokemons Gyarados is weak to so here is some examples:

Ferrothorn is probably the best counter to both mega and non-mega Gyarados, its high physical defence and good typing stops Gyarados

Rotom-W can counter all Gyaradoses but loses to Mold Breaker Earthquake and boosts.

Slowbro is bulky enough to handle all of Gyarados sets.

Other physical walls such as Skarmory and Mandibuzz, but Gyarados can beta alot of them with Taunt

Thats it, it got a little long, but I wanted to give you as much information as possible. I hope I answered your questions [:

Just to say: I dgaf about Noivern, so I use (IIRC) 168 speed EVs to outspeed base 115s after a DD.
While Noivern might not seem so threatening, Greninja and Talonflame definitely are. Even if you don't care about outspeeding Noivern, I heavily recommend you invest more speed evs so that you can outspeed Greninja. Talonflame, less so, as they rarely run max speed.

Fair point, but you lose a lot of hitting power by giving up those evs in speed. There are other answers to Greninja. (Gren also won't OHKO unless your health has already taken a hit, although this is admittedly quite likely), And what is the worry with Talon? Is it the WoW? Because stallbreaker/bulk up run low speed anyway, whilst revenge killer talon will just Brave Bird you.

The other possible solution is to get two DDs up, which is often possible.

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.
Just to say: I dgaf about Noivern, so I use (IIRC) 168 speed EVs to outspeed base 115s after a DD.
It probably works fine, the biggest problem Is Greninjas with Grass Knot as they only need very little prior damage before they OHKO you, then the rest mons between Greninja and 115 speed is not as common anymore, so if your team does already handle Greninja well, go for a bit less speed.

Indeed.

That's not how I would play against Greninja though, FWIW. That's why I say that my Gyarados takes different roles in different matches.

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.
Indeed.

That's not how I would play against Greninja though, FWIW. That's why I say that my Gyarados takes different roles in different matches.
And thats why I said your EVs are nice if you dont feel the need to outspeed Greninja because you have another, better answer to it.
But we should probably not keep discussing it here, so that this thread dosent get filled by us just refering to our old posts

I don't know if this question goes to this thread or it's better in the Orange island forum (because I was playing on my Pokémon X cartridge), and if that's the case, sorry for the mistake. Playing OU 6vs6 Single Battles I've faced an Eviolite Chansey with Softboiled, Seismic Toss, Toxic and Counter. This is the first problem. I'm playing on cartridge and don't have access to Gen V move tutor, so for example no KnockOff/Superpower Scizor. I thought "Well, let's setup and take it down with one hit" but it's not so simple because he had an Unaware Quagsire that made me waste some turns for nothing... Let's Grass Knot that Quagsire! But again he switches into Chansey. There's some Pokémon (one or more) or set, without Gen V tutors, that can help me take down those two?
Again, sorry if that's the wrong thread.

Well, this pokemon isn't too prevailent in OU, but it does fit your requirements perfectly i think.
Mixed Infernape can ohko Quagsire with Grass Knot, and 2HKO Chansey with Close Combat. And I don't think Grass Knot is a gen V move tutor.

Well, this pokemon isn't too prevailent in OU, but it does fit your requirements perfectly i think.
Mixed Infernape can ohko Quagsire with Grass Knot, and 2HKO Chansey with Close Combat. And I don't think Grass Knot is a gen V move tutor.
Nope, it's a TM move. Mixed ape is very good, I highly recommend it.
Well, thanks to both of you, I'll try mixed Infernape!

Jolteon isn't bulky at all, so idk why you'd use it if you want a bulky sweeper. Also Magnezone is way too slow to be a sweeper; it's more of a utility check to Steel-types. Viable electric-type sweepers include Thundurus-I, Thundurus-T, and Mega Ampharos, with Mega Ampharos being by far the bulkiest. Mega Manectric is also very fast, but it's a bit too weak to sweep.

Oh yeah Raikou's also good, but it's a tad weak w/out specs.

Hope I helped :)
thanks it helped a lot! also thank you ssjjynx what does check Steel-types mean? I've searched everywhere and I can't seem to find anything!

thanks it helped a lot! also thank you ssjjynx what does check Steel-types mean? I've searched everywhere and I can't seem to find anything!
Pokémon A checks Pokémon B if, when Pokémon A is given a free switch into Pokémon B, Pokémon A can win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.

Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.

Yay to my first actual post on this SQSA thread :) (So used to SQSR) Hope I helped!

Magnezone is a check to steels because, while it may not be able to switch in to some, if it gets a free switch in like DarkMilotic said, it can put in a lot of work, and usually secure the kill due to its' ability, Magnet Pull, preventing them from escaping.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rhyperior can also be a pretty decent lead since it can set rocks and has the bulk to beat opposing leads like Garchomp and Landorus-T (with Ice Punch).
But personally, when I'm using a stall team, I don't use a dedicated lead, but rather, identify the biggest threat to my team, and lead with my main answer to it. That way, I don't give away a free turn to something hugely threatening.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I don't know if this question goes to this thread or it's better in the Orange island forum (because I was playing on my Pokémon X cartridge), and if that's the case, sorry for the mistake. Playing OU 6vs6 Single Battles I've faced an Eviolite Chansey with Softboiled, Seismic Toss, Toxic and Counter. This is the first problem. I'm playing on cartridge and don't have access to Gen V move tutor, so for example no KnockOff/Superpower Scizor. I thought "Well, let's setup and take it down with one hit" but it's not so simple because he had an Unaware Quagsire that made me waste some turns for nothing... Let's Grass Knot that Quagsire! But again he switches into Chansey. There's some Pokémon (one or more) or set, without Gen V tutors, that can help me take down those two?
Again, sorry if that's the wrong thread.
If it helps, this site can be useful to look up certain combinations of things like moves, type, ability, etc.

For example, here is a list of everything that can learn knock off and grass knot in XY: http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/searc...=level-up&move_method=egg&move_method=machine
You can also change grass knot to be another grass-type move like energy ball or giga drain to look for other things that might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)