XY Sky Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't diss articuno, dude. Motherfucker is seriously hard to take down if you're not prepared for it. It fucked me up with Ice Shard before. Yes, Ice Shard. Especially since I run 2 dragons in my team(DD MoxieMence and Scarf Flygon).

It also forced me to draw out Talonflame and killed me with AncientPower...

Might be just that my team's not prepared for it, or I misplayed.. but it's a fact that it's hard to take down, even with the x4 weakness to SR. ._.
I'm not insulting Articuno. The guy I fought ONLY had 3 Pokemon, and those were the Kanto legendary birds. I've played enough Inverse Battles to know how threatening Articuno can be.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Don't diss articuno, dude. Motherfucker is seriously hard to take down if you're not prepared for it. It fucked me up with Ice Shard before. Yes, Ice Shard. Especially since I run 2 dragons in my team(DD MoxieMence and Scarf Flygon).

It also forced me to draw out Talonflame and killed it with AncientPower...

Might be just that my team's not prepared for it, or I misplayed.. but it's a fact that it's hard to take down, even with the x4 weakness to SR. ._.
Oh wow I didn't even know Articuno got Ice Shard.
This has some serious potential in a tier where almost everything is weak to ice.
Let's see some calcs:

252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 151-180 (50 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 137-161 (42.2 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 173-206 (48.8 - 58.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 175-209 (58.3 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 278-336 (86.8 - 105%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 175-209 (58.5 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 158-187 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Articuno Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 151-180 (46.8 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Now if you can baton pass a Swords Dance boost to Articuno with Gliscor...

Zapdos and Thundurus-T are extremely powerful crap. Is seriously something that can stop it other than a seriously bulky version of Cryogonal?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Edgar81539 Cryogonal fails to take on Zapdos as it often carries Heat Wave (although it probably won't OHKO, but it'll do a lot, and Cry won't do enough). Thundurus/-T however, are stopped by Cryogonal. I use this:

Chili Button (Cryogonal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Spd / 28 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

28 SpA with LO make it so it can OHKO 252 HP Gyarados (although megados fucks you up), max speed, maximum HP possible with an odd number, with the 4 leftover EVs dumped into SpD.

Rapid Spin is replaceable, especially since it's really hard to find a spot for it with LO, since you pretty much do less than 1% dmg while taking 10% recoil, but removing SR is too precious.

Both Thundy and Thundy-T have a 93.8% chance to get OHKO'd by Ice Beam from this Cryo, while in return, Thundurus does 60% maximum with Life Orb Thunderbolt, and Thundy-T does 67% maximum. The latter is outsped and OHKO'd, while the former can be trickier, as it is faster.

They're extremely irritating to face but can be played around. Cresselia can also take them on, but I'm not sure what it can do in return, I never really used it, but I should try her since most of the time, I rely on Cryogonal to take the genies on and Scarf Flygon to revenge them.

And speaking of Scarf Flygon, it's good. It's really good. I love it <3 STAB Outrage is SO useful late-game, especially with a lot of Dragonites running around. A lot of them think they can come in on a weakened Rotom-W and set-up, not caring about WoW because of Lum Berry; but WoWing Dragonites is stupid anyway since they're always Lum Berry, Volt Switching into Scarf Flygon solves everything.

I use it alongside Talonflame too, since almost everything is weak to Stealth Rock, having Revenge Killers and cleaners late-game is extremely useful. Scarf Flygon spams Outrage (and Stone Edge against certain threats) while CB Talonflame spams Brave Bird. I love how it OHKOs Latios after SR damage.

Oh wow I didn't even know Articuno got Ice Shard.
This has some serious potential in a tier where almost everything is weak to ice.
Let's see some calcs:

calcs

Now if you can baton pass a Swords Dance boost to Articuno with Gliscor...
Yeah, I didn't know he could get it either, which really screwed me over. The one I faced was mixed LO with Ice Shard, Freeze Dry, Roost and I'm not sure if it was the same one that carried AncientPower or if that was another Articuno I faced.. Not sure of the EV spread but he said it was max HP... seems like Ice Shard Articuno could have potential but I'm not sure what the complete moveset should look like, I've no experience with Articuno at all

Last edited:
Edgar81539 Cryogonal fails to take on Zapdos as it often carries Heat Wave (although it probably won't OHKO, but it'll do a lot, and Cry won't do enough). Thundurus/-T however, are stopped by Cryogonal. I use this:

Chili Button (Cryogonal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Spd / 28 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

28 SpA with LO make it so it can OHKO 252 HP Gyarados (although megados fucks you up), max speed, maximum HP possible with an odd number, with the 4 leftover EVs dumped into SpD.

Rapid Spin is replaceable, especially since it's really hard to find a spot for it with LO, since you pretty much do less than 1% dmg while taking 10% recoil, but removing SR is too precious.

Both Thundy and Thundy-T have a 93.8% chance to get OHKO'd by Ice Beam from this Cryo, while in return, Thundurus does 60% maximum with Life Orb Thunderbolt, and Thundy-T does 67% maximum. The latter is outsped and OHKO'd, while the former can be trickier, as it is faster.

They're extremely irritating to face but can be played around. Cresselia can also take them on, but I'm not sure what it can do in return, I never really used it, but I should try her since most of the time, I rely on Cryogonal to take the genies on and Scarf Flygon to revenge them.

And speaking of Scarf Flygon, it's good. It's really good. I love it <3 STAB Outrage is SO useful late-game, especially with a lot of Dragonites running around. A lot of them think they can come in on a weakened Rotom-W and set-up, not caring about WoW because of Lum Berry; but WoWing Dragonites is stupid anyway since they're always Lum Berry, Volt Switching into Scarf Flygon solves everything.

I use it alongside Talonflame too, since almost everything is weak to Stealth Rock, having Revenge Killers late-game is extremely useful. Scarf Flygon spams Outrage (and Stone Edge against certain threats) while CB Talonflame spams Brave Bird. I love how it OHKOs Latios after SR damage.
I like the set. Zapdos is still a problem for me, but I guess I could switch to Giratina in order to sponge Zapdos. I don't like it, but if it's allowed, I'll use it, XD.

Edit: Giratina is banned, :P, I somehow knew it. Damn... I guess Rotom will have to be seriously bulky. In other notes, Togekiss is so damn useful here. Walling the plethora of dragons it's so awesome. Not to mention that there's no dragon that isn't crippled by Thunder Wave (other than Flygon, lol, but it's so fragile on the special side most of the time it dies to a single Dazzling Gleam). In fact, Togekiss is the only thing that stops Brorizard X from ruining your day. Not even Skarmory can do something against Brorizard X, because it's stopped cold by Fire Punch/Flare Blitz.

Last edited:
I was watching some replays and just realised something... Arceus-Flying has not been banned yet! XD

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Edit: Giratina is banned, :P, I somehow knew it. Damn... I guess Rotom will have to be seriously bulky. In other notes, Togekiss is so damn useful here. Walling the plethora of dragons it's so awesome. Not to mention that there's no dragon that isn't crippled by Thunder Wave (other than Flygon, lol, but it's so fragile on the special side most of the time it dies to a single Dazzling Gleam). In fact, Togekiss is the only thing that stops Brorizard X from ruining your day. Not even Skarmory can do something against Brorizard X, because it's stopped cold by Fire Punch/Flare Blitz.

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 399-469 (106.6 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not like Togekiss can stop it either, lol. But yeah, 252/252+ def togekiss can t-wave and tank flare blitz at +1

Togekiss also can't stop 'Mence since it'll win 1on1 vs Togekiss, especially if it's at +1, since Mence always carries Stone Edge, and doesn't die to uninvested Dazzling Gleam.

Last edited:
Jumpluff is very good on this metagame. As one of the few users of a reliable sleep move, it opens SO MUUUUCH opportunities to setup.

Jumpluff @ Mental Herb/Wide Lens
Ability: Clorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- U-turn/Memento
- Leech Seed
- Encore/Stun Spore

Jumpluff diferentiates itself from Butterfree, Yanmega, Crobat and other sleep users thanks to its very high speed and the accuracy from his main move, Sleep Powder. While Butterfree sports a 91% accurate Sleep Powder, his speed is shit.
The star of this set is obviously Sleep Powder. Put something to sleep, use Leech Seed or U-turn the shit out of there to get a poke to sweep. U-turn is if you want to be able to put more pokemons to sleep and Memento is a very valuable move since almost everybody will switch out after you get one sleep. Since Aerodactyl is the most common lead and it likes A LOT to Taunt, Mental Herb is the principal slash. if you find another Grass types that can block Leech Seed and Sleep Powder, just U-turn out of there to your Cryogonal, Articuno or Moltres. Wide Lens is there if you don't like the measly accuracy of Sleep Powder, it gets up to 82.5%, very nice, at least for me.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Finally peaked #1 with 2208, and a W/L of 34-5 xD I actually achieved something.

Also, Edgar81539 that set looks like it needs Leftovers imo. But I could see how that Jumpluff could actually benefit my team, making it much easier for DDers to set up..

Jumpluff is very good on this metagame. As one of the few users of a reliable sleep move, it opens SO MUUUUCH opportunities to setup.

Jumpluff @ Mental Herb/Wide Lens
Ability: Clorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- U-turn/Memento
- Leech Seed
- Encore/Stun Spore

Jumpluff diferentiates itself from Butterfree, Yanmega, Crobat and other sleep users thanks to its very high speed and the accuracy from his main move, Sleep Powder. While Butterfree sports a 91% accurate Sleep Powder, his speed is shit.
The star of this set is obviously Sleep Powder. Put something to sleep, use Leech Seed or U-turn the shit out of there to get a poke to sweep. U-turn is if you want to be able to put more pokemons to sleep and Memento is a very valuable move since almost everybody will switch out after you get one sleep. Since Aerodactyl is the most common lead and it likes A LOT to Taunt, Mental Herb is the principal slash. if you find another Grass types that can block Leech Seed and Sleep Powder, just U-turn out of there to your Cryogonal, Articuno or Moltres. Wide Lens is there if you don't like the measly accuracy of Sleep Powder, it gets up to 82.5%, very nice, at least for me.
Yeah, EVERY Aerodactyl I've seen has Taunt, and they almost always have the Mega form too (except if they have Gyarados too). I love Jumpluff, so I may have to try him out. Prankster stole his thunder, I think, so that's why people ignore him. If any Pokemon should have gotten it, it was Jumpluff.

^ That's weird, I haven't encountered many Taunt Aerodactyls...
You're at the top of the ladder though (I'm roughly mid 1800s right now), so maybe the best players don't use it? It is pretty predictable. . .

I've even used Taunt Aerodactyl on an earlier version of my team.

aVocado

@ Everstone
I don't think that's relevant though, as I don't remember seeing Taunt Aero since I started playing sky battles.. maybe I encountered it once or twice but that's it, wouldn't say it's common lol.

Most of them are megas with either Hone Claws or SR + 3 moves.

I never see Hone Claws Aerodactyl. That's so strange that we must be fighting completely different opponents, even though there can't be that many people playing this metagame.

The Aerodactyls I usually fight against are something like this:

Max Attack and Speed, @ Mega Stone

Taunt
Stone Edge
Ice Fang
Stealth Rock

aVocado

@ Everstone
I've been noticing some real shortage of players in sky battles :( it's sad, really. it's such a fun metagame, even if it's very simple and centralizing.

And on an unrelated note, I actually saw a stall team the other day, lol.

Hey, Cresselia can be really annoying! It's about time someone tried something original on this ladder (like an entire standard OU strategy). Besides, Skarmory and Gyarados could shuffle opponents around making them take Stealth Rock damage. :)

aVocado

@ Everstone
Yeah, I remember the team I saw had Mandibuzz, Claydol, and Cresselia. It was pretty bad, but it's still stall nonetheless. It couldn't really handle the offensive pressure most Sky teams carry with them, though. XD

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
I think it's safe to assume this metagame is dead now.. it's impossible to find a game :/ and even this thread is inactive

I may revamp my team and battle again. Perhaps people thought it became stale with the limited pool of Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)