Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

This looks like a double post but its been over a week and I have returned from UberFrance bringing a delicacy.
Greninja

So I threw together a new Greninja front based on several of the neutral poses/Sugimori art I found through Google searches, and this is the result. The left version is a slightly more recent version of the original I created as an attempt to better showcase his crouching, but I'm not sure if I like it more than the right version, which was the original one I created before receiving comments about him on my dA. Either way, I'll probably start working on the backsprite next unless enough outcry comes from the new pose that I need to remake Gren again.

Until then, feel free to drop a comment or critique on this to pass the time. +)

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Is this page alive again? I'm glad I wasn't the one this time to revive it. cause I'm lazy.
I think I already said enough about this thing on dA though, I will continue feedbacking (if that's even a word).I like the new pose with the hand shown on the left, I'm starting to think bubbles could use more reflection. I still think the tongue in general can be changed. That pink though, it has to be changed, it's too contrasted. Coral pink or a blush pink could work I think. As I said before, legs still look like a problem, since I fail and making the puffy ninja legs in both doodles and sprites I shouldn't really be commenting about it.

Although this thing looks better than all the others made, Greninja still looks awkward. whoever designed this Pokemon is stupid.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hate to say this, but I'm really not a fan of the new Greninja sprite. Looking at just about all availible references, it's pose has it crouching a lot lower.

I really think that the sprite should better match the lower stance, for literally no reason other than that the current pose just looks incredibly awkward. I don't really know how to describe it, but I guess it's kind of because its limbs connect with the ground at such a sharp angle, it just looks a lot less fluid and stable. It doesn't look like a ninja that's ready to jump up and pounce, instead it's just awkwardly hunched over its right arm. Also, the more upright Greninja's pose is, the less reason it has to be resting one hand on the ground for a third balance point. The pose just doesn't really seem to make any sense.

Sorry for potentially causing "enough outcry comes from the new pose that [you] need to remake Gren again". Hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

Hi I am a showdown player who uses gen5 sprites and got to say , it is perfect if all of them has animation! Can I use these in my trade thread? Are there different vivillon patterns?

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Hi I am a showdown player who uses gen5 sprites and got to say , it is perfect if all of them has animation! Can I use these in my trade thread? Are there different vivillon patterns?
The animation is being worked on for all sprites, they can't simultaneously be completed whenever the sprite is immediately. That's up to Layell, but I'd assume it'd be yes (sorry if I'm wrong). No(t yet).

Being the lazy bum I am I decided to just carry over the new format I've been experimenting with over on my dA account rather than doing the usual old-new bars. New posing attempt on top-left, old on bottom right. I threw these together on two separate lecture classes where I was half passed out from the night before only getting three hours of sleep. Hopefully these capture the ninja crouched-and-ready-to-kick-ass pose more accurately. +)

Anyways, I'll see if I can't get some more work done in terms of spriting by the end of the week but no promises.

┻┳|・ω・)ノ

Hello! It has been ages again since my last update, but now, I'm gonna bombard you with lots of 'em. :D

I saw a rise in activity on February with pixel-related work and this update basically sums up what I've done throughout that month. Not much has happened since then, except for some little fiddling and the addition of back sprites. Big thanks to pom for keeping up and helping with the progress with these sprites and for being a cool person overall. c:

Wobblebuns I have a copy of Pangoro on my hard drive with some of the linework cleaned up, but I made a note when saving the edits that there were NO stray colours and it was a shiny swap, hahah. Way to go (':

Let's keep this going, shall we? Fingers crossed. *u*

Skiddo

(New)

(Old)

I made little stylistic changes to go with the new and more neutral pose, as suggested by pom.

Gogoat

(New)

(Old)

pom asked me to liken the edit to the Sugimori art and this is the result.
  • Grass coat made more shaggy-looking
  • Bend on the hind legs made more pronounced
  • Fur added to the legs
  • Lengthened the horns as it seems like the sprite is at its side more
  • Face reworked to go with the perspective and the Sugimori art
  • Claws sharpened

Klefki

(New)

(Old)

I used axl's old edit as a base.
  • Tweaked color palette
  • Defined and smoothed out the keyhole and the "eyes"; face made more refined and accurate
  • Gave Klefki a brand new set of keys!

Floette-Eternal

(New)

(Old)

A Floette-Eternal edit was imperative after the sprite updates with normal Floette, so here it is. I followed how the flower was positioned in the base form, which allowed me to showcase those cool patterns on Floette-Eternal's flower for the back sprite.

Florges

(New)

(Old)

• Larger in size overall
  • Face and flower collar reworked
  • Ornaments on the flower collar tweaked
  • Leaves reshaped
  • Moar booty-pop action

Additional updates:
- Back sprite for Florges added
- Stray colors in Florges sprite exterminated "OTL
- Back sprite for Gogoat added

Last edited:
┻┳|・ω・)ノ

Hello! It has been ages again since my last update, but now, I'm gonna bombard you with lots of 'em. :D

I saw a rise in activity on February with pixel-related work and this update basically sums up what I've done throughout that month. Not much has happened since then, except for some little fiddling and the addition of back sprites. Big thanks to pom for keeping up and helping with the progress with these sprites and for being a cool person overall. c:

Let's keep this going, shall we? Fingers crossed. *u*

Skiddo

(New)

(Old)

I made little stylistic changes to go with the new and more neutral pose, as suggested by pom.

Gogoat

(New)

(Old)

pom asked me to liken the edit to the Sugimori art and this is the result.
  • Grass coat made more shaggy-looking
  • Bend on the hind legs made more pronounced
  • Fur added to the legs
  • Lengthened the horns as it seems like the sprite is at its side more
  • Face reworked to go with the perspective and the Sugimori art
  • Claws sharpened

Klefki

(New)

(Old)

I used axl's old edit as a base.
  • Tweaked color palette
  • Defined and smoothed out the keyhole and the "eyes"; face made more refined and accurate
  • Gave Klefki a brand new set of keys!

Floette-Eternal

(New)

(Old)

A Floette-Eternal edit was imperative after the sprite updates with normal Floette, so here it is. I followed how the flower was positioned in the base form, which allowed me to showcase those cool patterns on Floette-Eternal's flower for the back sprite.

Florges

(New)

(Old)

• Larger in size overall
  • Face and flower collar reworked
  • Ornaments on the flower collar tweaked
  • Leaves reshaped
  • Moar booty-pop action

Additional updates:
- Back sprite for Florges added
- Stray colors in Florges sprite exterminated "OTL
Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I did some changes to your Klefki sprite:

- The eyes are sharper and the keyhole now looks like a keyhole
- That pink drop on its head is facing the correct side
- Some small changes to the yellow key and the shape of the head to make them more accurate

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Here have some Sableyes, cause the current backsprite was a mess up and that was my fault. No I'm not that active still, don't expect anything to come too. this was just fast enough to work on. I pretty much merged the front sprite, original sableye and the current back sprite, so you would see a lot of the same parts.
upload_2015-3-17_17-59-1.png

BTW the one on the end was an in-progress sprite and I thought it would be funny to show it's broken spinal cord.

Edit: forgot to mention that the rupee is just a recolor and re-shaded front sprite rupee, I don't think we really need to re-sprite an image that would look exactly the same front and back.

Attachments

The Unbound Hoopa sprite is really great, but I think the blue shade should be brighter, so I changed it as follows:

(Also added one red pixel for the eye pupil)

Shiny version:

And I haven't found shiny Mega Metagross on the thread, so:

Pent

dumb broad
Just wanted to know, could I work on a new Mega Audino sprite? I feel the current one looks a little bad. (NO OFFENSE)
I've already started work on it, and Iplan to continue the project, but I wanted to know if I can post it here.

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but I did some changes to your Klefki sprite:

- The eyes are sharper and the keyhole now looks like a keyhole
- That pink drop on its head is facing the correct side
- Some small changes to the yellow key and the shape of the head to make them more accurate
I was not fond of the changes at first, but it eventually grew on me. Still, I think the face in general looks a bit flat; the eyes may be the reason behind it. I did liked where you were going with the keyhole, though; yours definitely looked more like one compared to mine, heheh. For this, I continued on with your take and made certain adjustments to fix the things I took issue with (those were just the eyes, really hihi).

Klefki

• Eyes rounded more
  • Keyhole smoothed out
  • Head and face now looks to be at a slight tilt
Anyways, my brother went to London a week or two ago as he was tasked to interview the cast of Game of Thrones. Funny, because he had little to no knowledge at all about the show so days before his departure, he had to do marathon runs of the show. Well, he said the session with the cast went better than expected so that's good. Oh, and he also said that the Mother of Dragons herself requested me to make edits with Mega Charizard X.

Mega Charizard X

(New)

(Old)

• Face reworked
  • Flames tweaked
  • Thinned out the end part of the tail
  • Got 'em nails done!
  • Highlights added here and there
  • Small palette changes
Back sprite will be up in a few days. I'll also be working with other Pokemon so stay tuned, teehee.

As always, comments and suggestions are most appreciated! c:

- - -

Additional updates:
- Forehead lowered
- Flames tweaked (will work on it further, if necessary!)
- Back sprite for Mega Charizard X added (will work on it further, if necessary!)

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
a few thoughts from myself and pom

Just wanted to know, could I work on a new Mega Audino sprite? I feel the current one looks a little bad. (NO OFFENSE)
I've already started work on it, and Iplan to continue the project, but I wanted to know if I can post it here.
You are certainly free to try, however I'm interested in why it looks "a little bad", because I would say Mega Audino looks like a perfect transformation of regular Audino, which is exactly what is desired in mega transformations. I would be loathe to have the style of a sprite change dramatically. Ideally it should look in the same style.

Oh, and he also said that the Mother of Dragons herself requested me to make edits with Mega Charizard X.
But the dragon has three heads... there must be another. Oh wait that is only in the books nevermind. Anyways Char X looks nice in the facial and body area, however I have a slight concern about the flames because BW Charizard has a distinct flame style which I felt was already well matched, in fact most of the flaming Pokemon have a very distinct style of flames. If you think it needs to be changed make edits from there.

Klefki is looking quite fine, and yes more three dimensional

Loving LU's animations as always

Greninja I think is all about bent elbows and crouching, I too would like that elusive ideal pose.

I was not fond of the changes at first, but it eventually grew on me. Still, I think the face in general looks a bit flat; the eyes may be the reason behind it. I did liked where you were going with the keyhole, though; yours definitely looked more like one compared to mine, heheh. For this, I continued on with your take and made certain adjustments to fix the things I took issue with (those were just the eyes, really hihi).

Klefki

• Eyes rounded more
  • Keyhole smoothed out
  • Head and face now looks to be at a slight tilt
I like the changes you made, but the eyes are too blurry :P

Here is another take on them:

They look more natural now, I think

Btw, the images you posted have a different color palette

Mega Latias done and Mega Latios's fix, these are finished i guess
This is the shiny version, not the normal form. Plus, surely there is no real reason to have wildly varying sprites for this pair when outside of eye colour they look exactly the same?

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
World Defender
This is the shiny version, not the normal form. Plus, surely there is no real reason to have wildly varying sprites for this pair when outside of eye colour they look exactly the same?
I didn't write "Latios and Latias shiny" bacause is so obvious... and where is the problem with different sprites? Are two different pokemon

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
The Mega Latias is aXl's sprite. The Latios was originally for both of them aside from eye color changes. The reasons why we gave Mega Latias an all new sprite was because people were unhappy with them being recolors, although Mega Latias and Mega Latios look almost the same they do have differences, specifically with their stats and size difference being the most significant, and to be honest, since the Mega Latias was "just made" we shouldn't being going onto shiny variants yet. According to the spread sheet that isn't even the right Mega Latios sprite.

I thought everyone knew about the Mega Latias sprite being made

The Mega Latias is aXl's sprite. The Latios was originally for both of them aside from eye color changes. The reasons why we gave Mega Latias an all new sprite was because people were unhappy with them being recolors, although Mega Latias and Mega Latios look almost the same they do have differences, specifically with their stats and size difference being the most significant, and to be honest, since the Mega Latias was "just made" we shouldn't being going onto shiny variants yet. According to the spread sheet that isn't even the right Mega Latios sprite.

I thought everyone knew about the Mega Latias sprite being made
Long story short, I've not been around at all due to work and other commitments - therefore no, I wasn't aware about any of the things you have just mentioned and it was why I queried whether varying sprites were required for the pair rather than stating it as fact. I'm heavily out of the loop, simple as that.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The new and improved lord and savior! Gave legit's version a nice mouth wobble and rare animation to give it a bit more life.

goomy-front-final-2.gif

edit: cant seem to figure out whats causing this even after redoing my portion. :[ If you know what the issue is, please let me know asap so I can fix it.

Last edited:
As promised, here is an update. :D

Mega Tyranitar

(New)

(Old)

The current sprite served as a good start for the editing work. The main issue I had with it was the head and the face, but other than that, the sprite overall just needed some polishing here and there. The back sprite of course, was enlarged to match the size of the front; the current one was too little for some reason.

- - -

Additional updates:
- Further detailing and retouching of limbs for the back sprite

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)