1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  3. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  4. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  5. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

XY Sprite Project (read 1st post): Pixel Perfect

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Layell, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Branflakes325

Branflakes325

[​IMG]
    Does anybody else want to animate this? im scared to even try
    Arhops, AstralFire, Laga and 8 others like this.
  2. S0L1D G0LD

S0L1D G0LD

Dang man those are sweet.
  3. unfixable

unfixable you'll never know what hit you
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

May I reserve MegaSceptile please? (I know for sure it will eventually be revealed) And I would like to sprite it ^^
    Arhops likes this.
  4. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Bolin!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

I am drawing the line at theoretical mons being reserved.

That's the line I will not cross.
    unfixable and AstralFire like this.
  5. S0L1D G0LD

S0L1D G0LD

Got my problem fixed. And created another. But oh well.
  6. P2X7

P2X7

After checking over the spreadsheet of reserved sprites, I was wondering if I could reserve Skiddo/Gogoat?
  7. Turtleye

Turtleye

Well I don't think I have like much say in this, but yeah in my opinion you can make the Gogoat and Skiddo sprites.
    (I think I'll just focus on shading stuff rather than making my own sprites as I cannot pose 'em =/)
  8. CyberOdin

CyberOdin

Nice sprites *-*
  9. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

keep up the good work guys, these are incredible
    Jaiho, Jukain and apt-get like this.
  10. Layell

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

Ok so I've been working on Blastoise and those arms and cannon lip are a pain but

[​IMG]

He is looking ready to rock

oh also look it's a 2k post
    Show Hide

So wow I've hit 2000 posts, the first half of that took 6 years and this only took a year and a half guess I'm getting better at this whole forum posting thing huh? I decided against making a thread because xk posts are the new xk threads. Anyways I'll just say that I finally have some badges after all this time that is rather nice and here are some shoutouts to my favorite people.

Orange Islanders: Easily the most chill forum even though 90% of the activity is in the dumb XY thread that I enjoy deleting posts in. Our quest to tier all the spin-offs is just starting mes amis somebody has to do it!

Smogcrafters: It's nice we have a server but I'm just too drained to play, maybe if somebody gave me all my items and my old city back for me I'd be interested in playing OH WELL.

Mafia: Well we aren't dead yet and got out of all those awful multifaction games that is a relatively good thing lets keep that up

The Smog: More of you need to consider my amazing pun suggestions for titles, other than that you're all cool people and probably the most diverse group of talented smogon people.

Spriters: We are where it's at, I can't wait to see how we pull this all off but it's looking really good here. None of us have any idea on the timeframe for a complete simulator but it's gonna happen soon and it'll look all the better with some amazing sprites!

Here is to another 1000 posts and many (many) more sprites!
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Branflakes325 and S0L1D G0LD like this.
  11. Legitimate Username

Legitimate Username Your attack missed!
    is an Artistis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Needed a break from Mega Mawile before more animation and took on a new project.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks Quanyails for the awesome sprite, although I did make a few edits before animating it. Most noticeable is that the ribbon hand is now on top of the sheath, mostly because it just feels awkward to unsheath a sword with your hand underneath it. I also straightened out the handle and the three circles on the sheath to be better aligned with everything else.

EDIT: Transparency (since I had made some changes to the backsprite after Layell posted below).
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Arhops, AstralFire, Seed and 7 others like this.
  12. Layell

Sprite Leader

VERY VERY GOOD

Anyways I found something very wonderful for making gifs transparent as that always seems to be a thing

http://www.gifmagic.com/

suddenly:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

We should use this more often, (I will eventually get around to animating myself but not until everything is sprited)

Anyways taking care of Mega-Kanga animation to get my feet wet!
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  13. Legitimate Username

You have no idea how grateful I am for that. I used LunaPic for transparency on non-animated images but on animated ones it just spits out monstrocities like these.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    So thanks for sharing that great site!
  14. Menshay

Menshay

How's this for a very early Chespin? I know it's already taken but I still wanted to give it a try.
    [​IMG]
    Please ignore the weird arms, the lack of tail and shading and some other details for now.
  15. apt-get

apt-get platinum happy
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

imo don't allow everyone to edit the sheet, it could lead to people griefing it
    S0L1D G0LD likes this.
  16. S0L1D G0LD

S0L1D G0LD

I was also thinking that was bad.
  17. Dataflow Analisys

Dataflow Analisys

18. Legitimate Username

[​IMG][​IMG]
    More animation goodness. Thanks again @Quanyails for making the original sprite.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Arhops, Jaiho, Level 51 and 7 others like this.
  19. Agonist

Agonist He had seen it, felt it's might, bent under
    is a Forum Moderator

Awesome work on your sprites, Legitimate Username.
  20. Layell

Sprite Leader

To those who suggest I don't allow anyone to edit don't worry reversing changes are a cinch and I've been backing up everything posted here. I have found this works much easier in the past as I don't want to add every spriter to the chart. If anything I'd make it only so I could if things get out of hand but I'm hardly worried in that regard.
  21. unfixable

unfixable you'll never know what hit you
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

omg, this is amazing! I love your work! May I please use this as my avatar lol?
    Jukain and Legitimate Username like this.
  22. Lasagne

Lasagne
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

Legitimate Username likes this.
  23. Quanyails

Quanyails
    is an Artistis a Community Contributor

Sorry that I'm not posting much. x.x Summer ended, so I have less time for sprites, which gets allotted to schoolwork instead. However, it's great to see other people contribute and this project take off! :D

No, I don't mind that much if you guys dislike my sprites. I prefer scratch spriting, which does not always preserve pokemon's style. :p

I will put a message on my dA account notifying the pokemon pixel artists on dA about this project. :) I really want spriting to continue despite Pokemon's leap into 3-D models.
  24. Layell

Sprite Leader

Ok now we have a backsprite

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I like my pop-up shell but hate dumb arms still, but I don't think I can ever be happy with those dumb arms.
    Hollymon likes this.
  25. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

@Layell the gun on its arm messes with my depth perception

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)