1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

XY Sprite Project (read 1st post): Pixel Perfect

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Layell, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Peter Gabriel too!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

I'll check out grimer and ditto to see if there is precedent for those things, but now I am tired.
  2. Legitimate Username

Legitimate Username YAY I'M HELPING!
    is an Artistis a Tiering Contributor

[​IMG][​IMG]
    This should be complete now. I'll give it a few days before doing all the frame rate and colour fixes, just to make ABSOLUTELY SURE that nothing else needs to be updated. If you have any concerns about this animation, better share them now.

Anyways, I'm going to do quite a bit of work on Mega Mawile now. I have great, great plans for it that I'll let everyone know of soon.

EDIT: Ridaz, I couldn't care less about using the 3D models for reference. Their animation style is drastically different from that of sprites, so trying to do so would be really, really pointless.

This is all I needed to base my version on.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Anyways, I'll incorporate some of the suggestions as suggested by Typhlito and Ridaz which shouldn't take too long.

EDIT: princessofmusic, don't worry, I already changed the shading to better match this reference. Admittedly, it was bugging me too.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. Ridaz

Ridaz

Question: Is the dress suposed to open like that from both sides? If yes, it should be clear on the front sprite that that happens on the back.
    And, where are it's legs?
    1 more thing, I think the dress should move in a more fluid and delicately way (If I'm using the right term.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here are some 3D model for reference
  4. Layell

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I took out the huge head line, the rest is the same. The head line is slightly in grimer/ditto but they get away with it more because of the colours/texture involved. The outside colours and line breaking are part of the animation style so I'm not touching that.
    unfixable, Hollymon, Agonist and 7 others like this.
  5. princessofmusic

princessofmusic soprano
    is an Artist

Layell - that is fine. The head line was just the worst, lol.

Great sprites. oAo Your 50/50 mix seems OK. I'll take this moment to comment on your other work.

Noivern: Awesome. My boyfriend loves it, and he's picky. Sometimes he's not even excited about my sprites. >__> Anyway... I get Quanyails' point about trying to make it look like gen 5, but the thing is, the sprite itself looks better individually with the dithering, aka your style, and I think that's more important. So, I think the dithering should stay, and it won't kill us to use something that's nice but a little bit different (better than something that's "normal" but boring-looking imo). Obviously, I may get outvoted on this... if that happens, sorry aXl. @__@

Mega Aggron: The back sprite - I suggested before (don't know if you didn't see or forgot) to simply select his tail from the base and move it left a few pixels so that it aligns with the plates on his back. Right now, the perspective looks kind of funny.

Amaura: It's nice but I don't think Layell likes it. D: I think Amaura and Aurorus both could use a redo, but Amaura should be not so skinny, the face could be more readable, and your colours look like candy lol (not necessarily a bad thing, but just for this project...). I hope fixing it won't be too much trouble. :C

EDIT: Oh I forgot something to someone different

Legitimate Username Hiii - if you're changing Mega Mawile, can you be sure, among the other things you want to do, to fix the shading on her jaws? Right now, at the bottom, it's all parallel to the line segments of the outlines. @__@ GF doesn't really do that and it doesn't look that great, so I hope you can find a way to do it differently. Good luck.
  6. Layell

Sprite Leader

I have some ideas for Tyrunt colours, as I said before that sprite can be simplified a tad.

also fine with ice dino QC or even revamps, the big thing will be eyebrows and sail colours, how we approach that. Use from the current ones what you will.

I've mentioned this before but the Noivern thing is really just that his wingspan cannot compare to any other sprited mon, that is all, it's why he's been a ticky fellow in general.

EDIT: So long as LU makes skirt a slightly different purple I am happy.

I am also bigger on overall style, while I get some spriters stick to some style parts more than others I see QC as largely the way to fix those things.
  7. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Glad to hear you liked how Tyrunt and Noivern came out. Likewise, I do believe that Noivern looks better without the dithering, as I feel our emphasis in regards to the project should be to make sprites look amazing rather than making them look official. I always took the official sprites to be nice guides, but I don't see why stepping outside of the lines is necessarily bad.

In regards to Mega Aggron, yeah, I had missed your earlier point, thanks for bringing it back up. +) I'll look into it if I get time this weekend. It's looking like I might not with my current *last week before the holidays* homework load, but we'll see.

In regards to Amaura, I literally whipped that sprite up in around 2 hours, so I don't exactly feel too attached to it. Colors can be edited later without much trouble. (I just ripped the blues from Huntail, Blastiose, yellows and pinks from Blast and Luvdisc) As for the size of it, it's actually two pixels taller than Cranidos atm, which is the tallest existing fossil pre-evo. I can make it bigger if need be, but in regards to its current height, that's the reason I chose it. Also, Aurorous prob just needs a new backsprite more than anything. It's front isn't half bad atm.

And I'll just leave this here. Fennekin should be coming soon(tm).
    [​IMG]
    Hollymon and viperdk1 like this.
  8. Hollymon

Hollymon

aXl If the brown spot is supposed to be in the centre of the head, I would move it across to the right, just off centre but still on the left hand side of the head and then it would look like its supposed to. But other than that I think your sprite is fantastic! Other things that bother me is the feet on the front sprite should be more pointy instead of rectangular and the head leaf things on the back sprite. I think the left leaf on top should be slightly raised and a tiny tiny bit more tilted to the top (if this looks weird in the end, just leave it how it is because its fine anyway, just a minor nitpick). Then the other thing is on the top three leaves, the two left bottom pixels in the middle leaf should be moved a bit because at the moment it looks like the left leaf is behind it when actually the middle leaf is behind both of them.

But other than that it is fantastic!
  9. The Artist Of Today

The Artist Of Today

Could i do the shiny forms or mega mewtwo X and Y (back sprites included) but i cant do the animations
  10. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

[​IMG]
    In regards to the backsprite, it actually could use some editing in regards to leaf placement and the like, but because I was suffering from migraines yesterday while simultaneously having to study for the ACT, I never really got around to making them, instead focusing on just getting it resized. The primary fix that still needs to be made is that the top leaves are supposed to come out of his head at an angle instead of jutting straight out. And yeah, the brown spot, as you can see in this picture, is really just randomly placed off-center for absolutely no reason. I still have plans to edit the leaves, and I'll take your advice on the front's feet to mind when I pick it back up again. Yesterday I was in too much of a rush to explain it in detail, so yeah, sorry about that.
    Hollymon likes this.
  11. The Artist Of Today

The Artist Of Today

Could i do Mega Mewtwo X and Y's Shiny Version? (back sprites included) :D
  12. S0L1D G0LD

S0L1D G0LD

Don't spam. Why not find their shiny pictures, and just post em. We'll use them if we like them, although considering they're pretty much just a direct pallet pull from mewtwo's shiny (I assume), it wouldn't be too hard.
  13. The Artist Of Today

The Artist Of Today

[​IMG] i hope these are ok for you i also changed the outline so it doesn't go away with the black bg issues. :P
  14. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Just throwing this out there, but these might need to be redone whenever we find out what Mega Mewtwo's colors actually are, as currently a shiny Mega Mewtwo is unattainable due to it being shiny-locked in X/Y. Once Pokebank comes out, actual colors will come with it, so be aware that this might need to be redone later.

Also, I recommend that if you're about to double post on the thread, you should probably just edit your previous post, as it clutters the thread less.
  15. The Artist Of Today

The Artist Of Today

ok im kinda new here :P ill redo the sprites when pokebank comes out and we see the shiny mewtwo
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  16. unfixable

unfixable

Actually, the spot is leaning towards the left:
    [​IMG]

Also, aXl, your Amaura is great, but the blue should be a bit paler imo.
  17. Typhlito

Typhlito One Tuff Dawg
    is an Artist

hey Legitimate Username noticed a slight issue with mega luc's feet on his back sprite that has been bugging me when its seen in ps. The way it shifts in and out of place looks off. The front sprite with his knees does it as well but its slightly less noticeable.
  18. sunny004

sunny004

Ok so I looked at this and I saw taht the green on chespin looks a bit... Glossy
    It looks like it's been covered in oil or something
    Can someone make it look less so
  19. viperdk1

viperdk1

Yoink.

Chespin.png Chespinback.png

Really like the size update for Chespin, well done aXl :)

EDIT: After the comments about that Amaura on the previous page, I've had a quick go at updating it's palette. Left - original. Right - new palette:
    amaura.png amauraedit.png
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    Hollymon, unfixable and aXl like this.
  20. sunny004

sunny004

Can you tell me what changes you made if any?

Dude I wish that your avatar was the color scheme for Mega Charizard X
  21. princessofmusic

princessofmusic soprano
    is an Artist

Trois Petites Fées

It's been six weeks since I uploaded these three. They were the first of my originals to be implemented into the project, and remarkably, unlike my other work, they've remained unchanged until now. Below are my final edits to the sprites, such as palette changes.

Flabébé

[​IMG][​IMG]

Back then, I had much trouble picking out a good bunch of reds for Flabébé's flower. The end result, I believe, is too dark/saturated. Thus, I found it necessary to, in an unusual move from me, use different reds between Flabébé and Floette. This lighter red based on the Sugimori artwork looks terrible on Floette. Anyway, it's not a big deal because GF sometimes does this too.

Floette

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I made the stem curvy because someone - I think it was Legender - told me to a long time ago but I was too much of a lazy butt, and I didn't know how. It does look better this way though. Also, I made Floette's eyelash/eyebrow things bend more so she looks less like a man.

AZ's Floette? (open)

The same leaker who released the images of Volcanion, etc. also gave us a screenshot of a wild battle with AZ's Floette. Furthermore, there is a rumoured new move called "Light of Ruin", seen in a minigame screenshot and previously catalogued on Serebii. There is speculation that the unique Floette will be available as an event in the future, and that Light of Ruin is its signature move. This is what I thought: for now, we can use AZ's Floette as shiny Floette. If event Floette turns out to be legit, and they want to implement it as a separate form on PS because it has different moves and/or base stats, we already have the sprites, so no one has to scramble to make new ones. After, someone can easily do a normal shiny. Until then, I don't think anybody will have a problem with a special shiny Floette.

Florges

[​IMG][​IMG]

More buttflowers! Weeks ago, I was looking for references for Malamar's back, of all things, when I found a reference for Florges' back. Until that point, I thought that Florges basically had like a sexy green evening dress with no back - in my defense, Wyv originally drew it that way too. Apparently, the 'dress' actually comes up in a large spike at the back. Personally, I prefer the Pepper Potts look, but whatever, Game Freak...

So, I think these three are animation ready, since they have effectively stood the test of time. Nvm, gonna confirm this in a few days.

On a totally unrelated note, I put too much Sriracha hot sauce in my pasta. Good Arceus help me.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Hollymon likes this.
  22. viperdk1

viperdk1

Altered the palette - a lot of the colours had been changed from what GeoisEvil's original sprite looked like, so I just put those colours back xD
  23. The Artist Of Today

The Artist Of Today

[​IMG] hey guys i made the shiny back sprites for mega mewtwo X and Y (if they are a different colour when pokebank comes out ill change them)
  24. The Artist Of Today

The Artist Of Today

how do you recolour animations? i want to make shiny aegislash.
  25. sunny004

sunny004

You could start by recolouring each frame...
    Dammit your avatars are really hilarious

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)