Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Hm, interesting. I'm online now.
Anyway, Fletchinder:

His left wing kinda bugs me, but thats maybe becaus this is solely outline.
Also dont mind da legs

...Wait a minute...
I'm being an absolute dumbass. I'm spriting a sprite.

Last edited:
Alright! Ive been practicing abit and Ive decided I would definitely like a crack at Sheathed Honedge so I'm going to reserve it this time ;) But as Legitimate Username was kind enough to point out the Honedge sprite is your Quanyails. So with your permission could I use your sprite as the basis to keep with consistency? Also I';m not that super good so I'll be checking back here for constructive criticism often.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anyone who would like to edit my sprites has freedom to do so.

I wonder, though, Stolen Steel, if a sheathed Honedge sprite is necessary? Maybe as an animation, if there are differences beyond aesthetics, or if the sprite is simply better. Give it a try if you'd like, though I'd prefer producing sprites for other pokemon.

Thanks! And as far as I can tell all Pokemon are done/being done at this point really. Once the rest comes out I may try to help but either way I would need to practice so I figure this is as good a practice as any :) I guess my hope in doing this is that eventually Honedge can be animated that when you send him out for the first time in battle he un-sheaths himself. But I imagine you guys are going to have your hands full like crazy getting the bulk of the real things that need to be done. So I want to try myself since it is my favorite Pokemon to come out in a long time.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Well, I finally have some time now. I'd love to contribute.

Can I reserve the Kalos starter final evolutions? If the leaked ones aren't real, then the real ones will most likely be revealed in a week anyway.

Last edited:
So, I have a first draft of a Swirlix evo sprite that is almost done that I will edit in when I finish said first draft; I'll probably work on it a little more, but I will appreciate any constructive criticism when I edit it in.

Hey everyone, I made an account on the forums to inform you of this:
http://zerudez.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-XY-Sprite-Dex-364127128
The author said in the comments that he'd say yes if you guys asked him for permission to use his sprites (scroll down a bit). I don't know how much this could help, considering they're not animated, they have no back sprites and I'm not entirely sure if they meet the color limitations, but perhaps he could countribute a great bunch to this project when you ask him. He also plans to make most (if not all) of the Gen VI Pokémon as far as I'm aware.
I hope you guys find this helpful.

So, I finished the first draft of Peroiimu or whatever its called, let me know what you think; I probably still have a lot to work on, though.

Hey, I really apologize for being worthless during the previous stages, but I've worked on the spritzee evo serebii leaked earlier, I didn't check if it was reserved because I am not the best anyway, but I have a first draft, if anyone would care to see it. If not, just don't open the spoiler and ignore this post/.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
S0L1D G0LD P2X7

Both of you are having the same problem and the fact you both jumped to do the newest fairies speaks volumes about how similar both of you are. You are both dumping in the deep end here and have no idea how to swim. Before I go onto your sprites take some time to just look at official sprites, go over your favorites zoomed in really close, appreciate them. Look at how they do things.

Your linearts are both really sloppy and it doesn't matter if it's a draft, sprites ought to start with the line-art before being filled in. I linked this post already but it bears repeating: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-3-sprite-submissions.3467075/page-2#post-4244703

Your lines are also both really one colour, a darker outline, and a colour in that outline. Very few sprites do this alone, it's all about the different shades of colour, knowing when to use a lighter shade on the outline, knowing when to use black to show depth. There are art classes that can teach this but at the end of the day look at official sprites, see how they do it. Know how it is done and how you can do it. Whatever shading you both have is also blocky and unimpressive, and only from straight above, most shading is at an angle.

Straight up neither of you are prepared for a project of this size. I've been spriting for three generations, I'm not the best either. But with every sprite you show, every draft where I don't see much that improves at all. You need to see where you can improve yourself and very few people will have the patience to fix a bad sprite when they can make a new one in the same amount of time.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just finished the frontsprite of Carbink.

Gonna probably do a backsprite later on, and MAYBE animate it if I can reach deep down within myself. It shouldn't be too hard, assuming that this thing actually floats, and that the only moving bits are the ears. Also gonna make this and that Quilladin I drew transparent when I get to that.

canno

formerly The Reptile
...so do we wait for the starter evos to be officially confirmed, or are they fair game to sprite?

EDIT: same question for the other leaks

S0L1D G0LD P2X7

Both of you are having the same problem and the fact you both jumped to do the newest fairies speaks volumes about how similar both of you are. You are both dumping in the deep end here and have no idea how to swim. Before I go onto your sprites take some time to just look at official sprites, go over your favorites zoomed in really close, appreciate them. Look at how they do things.

Your linearts are both really sloppy and it doesn't matter if it's a draft, sprites ought to start with the line-art before being filled in. I linked this post already but it bears repeating: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-3-sprite-submissions.3467075/page-2#post-4244703

Your lines are also both really one colour, a darker outline, and a colour in that outline. Very few sprites do this alone, it's all about the different shades of colour, knowing when to use a lighter shade on the outline, knowing when to use black to show depth. There are art classes that can teach this but at the end of the day look at official sprites, see how they do it. Know how it is done and how you can do it. Whatever shading you both have is also blocky and unimpressive, and only from straight above, most shading is at an angle.

Straight up neither of you are prepared for a project of this size. I've been spriting for three generations, I'm not the best either. But with every sprite you show, every draft where I don't see much that improves at all. You need to see where you can improve yourself and very few people will have the patience to fix a bad sprite when they can make a new one in the same amount of time.
Okay, I suppose it's for the best if I stop trying to sprite for this project. Thanks for letting me know, I'll just practice a bit/inspect the official sprites like you said, and then maybe I'll be good enough for the next generation.

Not the best outline spriter, I'd love to contribute but I'd probably only be useful in recoloring for shinies, editing for gender differences, and making Mega Evos. I have an outdated way to animate that'd ruin the colors but I can do it if it's wanted.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not the best outline spriter, I'd love to contribute but I'd probably only be useful in recoloring for shinies, editing for gender differences, and making Mega Evos. I have an outdated way to animate that'd ruin the colors but I can do it if it's wanted.
Nothing wrong with that, in fact this project may involve some grunt work like finding shiny colours that is still very valuable for a sim, also making sure mons are in the same position for shiny/gender/animation. I'd prefer if colours are what the spriter did so that might be out the window.

Brobat we might need a better pic of that mon before going to far ahead with that sprite. If you can make a back sure but don't strain yourself with animation yet.

Though I did try to make it less flat

Leaks I've added I got from sources that have been giving multiple photos so I'm being practical and careful here.

Last edited:
This is my progress for the day, I'll continue (and hopefully finish) tomorrow:

Keep in mind this is an early WIP, so bash it all you want, I'l like to know what I can do to improve it.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Some minor QC for Espurr

Went with Noscium's colour and eyes, but everything else is Quany's, some shading changes too.

also

Last edited:
What I've had so far, in anticipation for something like this:

Edit: Pancham line.

Edit: Scatterbug and Spewpa.

Edit: Honedge, Spritzee, and Swirlix.

Edit: Litleo, Flabebe, Clauncher, and Skrelp.

Edit: Oorotto*0.9.

Edit: Starters*0.8

Misc (maybe outdated):

(Quality may vary, though I can touch up some of them.)

Not including the Sylveon, Mewtwo, Xerneas, and Yveltal sprites, which I made no attempt to preserve in-game style.

Doing what Wyverii's suggesting, mostly. Exception is Clauncher's sprite, which I tried to keep similar in pose even if the shell layers imply foreshortening.
Since I had a small Idea, I made a bit of an Animation for Spewpa. Hope It's a bit good for an Idea. http://sta.sh/02eon5qy8z And Back Animation http://sta.sh/015etha4soqr Also, if anyone could do the Pictures for me, Thanks. I'm having a bit of trouble with that.

Last edited:
Some minor QC for Espurr

Went with Noscium's colour and eyes, but everything else is Quany's, some shading changes too.
Here's a very small edit on the ears

Also, I have a question. Should the jaggies be removed from the animations, or is the intent to mimic the game's rendering?

Welp I decided to work on my Quilladin sprites a bit to make them fit the proportions a bit better (though I miss his roundness). Also removed that highlight on his head since I felt it didn't really work, though I can add it back if necessary. Would you rather I just take a stab at drafting up a backsprite for CoolStoryBrobat's or just let him take this mon? I don't mind, his sprite is good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)