Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
also it's my birthday so yeah...bye.
Not to steal your birthday thunder but you have the same birthday as my dog. His birthday is today as well! He's 2 now. :D

Oh and for xerneas, is there any way to make his head a bit bigger without messing up the proportions? Dunno if its just my eyes but its eyes look a bit squished in.

Hey Layell, sorry, didn't have much time to finish the rare animation (stupid schoolwork). But here is the transparent anim for fletchling-

And happy birthday, RedRooster!

Fletching seems a bit quick and jerky, especially in the head movements, and the body remaining motionless with all the head/wing movement seems a little off too. These might be kind of hard to fix, sorry, but that was just my impression from looking at it.

Furthermore, if you've seen a small bird in action, you know that they have quick, sharp, almost spastic movement at times. That animation is accurate.
{nice job with the sprite, btw, looks solid}

Not to steal your birthday thunder but you have the same birthday as my dog. His birthday is today as well! He's 2 now. :D

Oh and for xerneas, is there any way to make his head a bit bigger without messing up the proportions? Dunno if its just my eyes but its eyes look a bit squished in.
first off happy birthday to your dog.
Anyway i took your advice and made xerneas's head bigger.
x.png

regular: head resized:
Hope this is what you were looking for.I'm still not totally sold on it, but i would like to hear what others think.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brobat is a bro, I hope I didn't rush you I was just noting that was our last one, guess I need to send in another update!

I like bigger Xerneas head, works well.

Ok so I'll take axl's Noivern which I somehow forgot about in the rush (also dude listen to Sonic Rush soundtrack for more Jet Set composer amazingness). Although something with the wings still bothers me, among other things.

Now for real important stuff:

I'm going to be making a public zip release of every front and back now that we have them all. I'm going to make this coincide with my planned completion of the XY icons which is a week after Pokebank release in US. Which means I'm going to release minisprites and custom sprites to the masses on January 3rd 2014. We will call it Public Release 1.0 for other projects to use. I'm also going to look into a way to easily make an alternate download with numbers instead of names (chespin.png vs 650.png). If anyone reading this thinks they can whip up a quick script for this that might be wonderful. I don't exactly have any plans to regularly make Public Releases but they won't be nearly as many times as I do the PS updates, which is once a week. Maybe release 2.0 when we are relatively animation ready and have every shiny, or a release 1.5 when we revamp a ton of stuff? We'll figure this out in time I suppose. So we have 24 days until that, I'm going to use that time to fix up a few minor things once my exam is done, some of those changes I might do (or other people will beat me to) are:

Mega Aboma: Maybe some more white at the backsprite
Mega Alakazam: Spoony shape
Avalugg: Make the back longer
Mega Blaziken: Fix outline issues
Bergmite: Simplify ice shape like with Avalugg
Charizard Mega X: Fix blues, fire
Diggerby tho: Make the back less a flipped front.
Doublade: Closing some lines on sheath, especially back
Frogadier: We got some good crit from another place right axl?
Greninja: Maybe change blue, get the right shade of pale yellow-white
Hawlucha: Get those colours right
Meowstic: Quany said she wants to fix the eyes so that is a thing to do
Mega Mewtwo X: I still might check that back animation is done now too
Pyroar: Somebody not me fix my ugly backs, or remake them entirely
Mega Ttar: Some back spike touch-ups
Xerneas: New or modified back to match RedRoosters sprite.
Zygarde: If I have time I wouldn't mind modifying Seiku's to be more of the size of Nosciums on front and back.

Last edited:
On much appreciated Noivern C&C from Quanyails :

That fix the jagged wing issue? I only really saw one place where the outline was super jagged (namely frontsprite's right wing), although if I missed a spot, feel free to point it out. I'd like to get all of the kinks worked out on these versions of the sprites before I move on to making the second pose.

RedRooster : The back horn feels off to me, as currently it looks black. Maybe make the third horn set the light blue body shade, and then use the darker body shade for the fourth set? The black just seems very anti-rainbow to me.

Siiilver : Perhaps have the neck scruff move a bit with each head twitch? It might make it seem like a bit more of a brief full-body motion in comparison to a brief head jerk.

Aside from that, in order to give this post some more substance, I just finished lineart for a Tyrunt frontsprite. Expect a polished front by the day's end, if all goes well.

EDIT Layell I'll be sure to give it a listen. Didn't realize they were composed by the same person, makes a lot of sense in hindsight.
Also, did you ever see the updated Mega Aggron backsprite I made over Thanksgiving? I wouldn't be surprised if it had gotten cast aside in the holiday rush, and if it still needs any edits, this would probably be a good time to get them thrown out here.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RedRooster, don't spread the front legs on Xerneas. It just so much more fitting with them facing closer together.

For example:

The spread legs make its stance too firm. Close together, it becomes more docile while still remaining majestic.

I wish I could say Mega Gardevoir was going smoothly (but at least it's going smoothly compared to my first attempts at the frontsprite). It's about 40% done. Besides an increase in real-life stuff this week, I decided to go ahead and redo part of the front animation and decide that it was better before the changes than after. But at least now I know it was better.

Once that's over I'm totally taking Zygarde. I just need something awesome to look forward to.

EDIT: Menshay, it bugs me too, but there isn't a single animated sprite that has parts that aren't visible in the static version. For now, it's staying as is. (Emphasis on "for now", since I've been kinda busy lately.)

Last edited:

11:30 still counts as within the day. So yeah, here's a quick first draft of Tyrunt. Currently not sure if I like the color scheme, as browns are weird and I feel this one may be too dark but w/e. Tyrunt is as dark as the night is black, after all. Also, size is based roughly off of Hippopotas, which shares the same height and a similar body type as far as GIANT HEAD goes. But yeah, leaving this out for C&C while I head off to bed. I'll work on the backsprite tomorrow, need sleep atm.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
well heres a slightly sped up version of vivillion so it looks smoother now. Not exactly sure how I should change the antennas so I just left it as is for now.

vivllion-front.gif
vivllion-back.gif

Its crunch time for me this week with finals so my progress will be slower than ever but by the end of the week I'll be done with classes and can pump out animations faster than elves wrapping presents the day before xmas.

Edit: And nice tyrunt aXl Only thing that stands out for me is its tail. It looks a little thin dont you think?

11:30 still counts as within the day. So yeah, here's a quick first draft of Tyrunt. Currently not sure if I like the color scheme, as browns are weird and I feel this one may be too dark but w/e. Tyrunt is as dark as the night is black, after all. Also, size is based roughly off of Hippopotas, which shares the same height and a similar body type as far as GIANT HEAD goes. But yeah, leaving this out for C&C while I head off to bed. I'll work on the backsprite tomorrow, need sleep atm.
Completely agree that the colour scheme is too dark - Tyrunt is somewhat dark but not that dark. Also noticed that the white in the middle of it's eye is missing, so....
Tyrunt.png

EDIT: Given the comments about the Greninja palette, I had a look back to see - and I've realised they were too light compared with the actual art. Anyway, updated the colours for the entire line so they all match:
froakie.png
Frogadier.png
greninja.png

froakieback.png
frogadierback.png
greninjaback.png

Last edited:
Completely agree that the colour scheme is too dark - Tyrunt is somewhat dark but not that dark. Also noticed that the white in the middle of it's eye is missing, so....
View attachment 5413
Yeah, that looks much better. I gotta say, you seem to have a better eye for color than I do. I'll use this pallet for the backsprite as well when I start work on it.

Typhlito I thought it might have been a bit thin, but then I told myself that I was blinking in and out of consciousness and I shouldn't trust my own judgement. Hearing someone else voice the same opinion tells me I should probably fix it, so I'll put that in my next update.

Thanks for the input. +)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hmm I might like the one I just made

also some ice edits.

Also I might as well say that Tyrunt is really detailed woah, push in a backsprite and I'll see about simplifying the style of the sprite.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can we go with the eye on viper's Hawlucha? That's as close as it gets to how it looks in the games

edit: Actually, there's little elements from both Layell's and Viper's Hawlucha sprites that if you somehow combined them, would make it perfect, at closer inspection

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
layell's hawlucha is slightly off with his head feathers since there should be 3 not 2 (unless its a gender difference or something)

I see what you mean with the big nose but I think just making the nose a pixel smaller could fix that.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
ok if we go by the princess edits with my palette that will be fun.

I did some small Delphox edits

Mostly lighting on the back, altering back whiskers to not look flat, I like this.

I also did a minor, very minor animation edit of Mewtwo X so that we have that lighting on the head

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)