Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Finished the fletchling sprite animation, more or less.

Princess: A wing twitch is what you wanted, so a twitch is what you get!

Legender: I slowed down the head movements a bit. This should'nt look as jerky.

Now Im gonna do 3 things now-

1) Do a rare animation

2) Animate the backsprite

3) Animate Fletchinder

<Insert Fletchling Stuff Here>
When fletchling moves its head back it seems a bit too far back. (Maybe an illusion but still) Our bird friend cannot break its neck in the middle of battle lol
other than that it looks cool

EDIT: maybe for a rare animation you could have it do a little hop since most of the artwork and the in-game model have it on the ground.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok I edited tyrantrum thigh in the front sprite to make it move even less. Hopefully it still doesnt look like it inflates. I left the tail alone for now just in case it didnt seek to be as big of an issue in the front sprite as it was in the back but I can edit the tail if you want.

On the back sprite, I fixed the tail. Dont think it squishes into the body anymore (at least not as much) but here it is.

tyrantrum.gif
tyrantrum-back.gif

The squishing on the front is fine but it still looks prominent on the back...

Also: What is your signature? Been wondering :P

Another EDIT: Princess i'm pretty sure baobao (hopefully I spelled that right) is talking about changing Talonflame not fletchinder.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ah your right. Lessened the back sprite leg movement as well but Im having it move more than the front since he's supposed to be bending his knees. so that would be much more noticeable from the back than the front. Here it is.

tyrantrum-back.gif

And my sig is ichiya from fairy tale. I find him pretty hilarious haha.

sunny004 said:
When fletchling moves its head back it seems a bit too far back. (Maybe an illusion but still) Our bird friend cannot break its neck in the middle of battle lol
other than that it looks cool
Fixed. And thanks.

Yeah I hope that did the trick

Onto the rare animation now!

No just stating that every1 likes the hopping... :/
Sorry if your confused lol
Not meaning to be mean or anything xD

Last edited:

Because this front sprite took FOREVER to make, I figured I'd drop it off before completing the backsprite to gauge my progress. Colors are ripped from (warning: there are a lot) Shiny Sceptile (Greens) Drifblim (Purples) Claydol (Blacks) Shiny Exploud (Reds and Yellow on the eye) and Shiny Clamperl (The tan neck fur). Yes, that was a legit list, most of the shinies were just nearby from my search for a good Purple shade, so yeah. Also, this thing has WAY TOO MANY colors. It took me a solid hour just to figure out how to fit this thing into a 15-color pallette, as it has 6 different colored body parts. The ears on this over-glorified bat were also a pain in the rear to make, but I finally managed to sculpt them properly after an hour/90 minutes of work. It was like Quilladen all over again. +~+

Anyway, comments and critiques on this thing would be great while I hammer out lineart for the backsprite. Already I think I might try to define some of the fur ruffles a bit better, but I'll work on that in revisions, so yeah. EDIT: My brother said I needed to define the facial features more, so that's also been added to the revisions list.

godamnit noivern why do you have to be so damn cool i want to hate you right now but i just can't

I DON'T NEED SLEEP ANYWAYS

(New on left, old on right for comparison)
OK, so I edited it to account for all of the issues that I/ princessofmusic / sunny004 pointed out. I'm starting to regret agreeing to do a flying pose, because I have another 3 sprites of this sucker to go. Regardless, I will soldier on, because the end result will be badass. Also, princessofmusic , I feel resizing Noivern by 125% is somewhat pushing it. This is supposed to be a Wyvern, and wyverns are not known for being huge. Resizing the body by 125% would have made it a solid 80 pixels tall, which means just the body would be stretching the Gen IV pixel limit, which few Gen V do currently. As it stands now, body+head is 70 pixels tall, which gives me room to work with when I create the second sprite for whoever decides to animate this beast. If you feel its still too small, I can add another 2-3 pixels, but that'll be it. Anything over will look weird and dwarf the wings' anatomical proportions.

tbh, I've been comparing it with Braviary throughout this process, as they're both winged 4'11". Noivern's head is about as big as Brav's, and its a tad sleeker but wider in frame compared to Brav. I feel this is a pretty good size for it to be atm. Still, feel free to throw your thoughts at me. After all, this is what C&C is for: working out the chinks in the design I worked on at 11 o' clock on a school night with no sleep.

(For those who missed my earlier post, the reason why I'm planning on creating 4 sprites for Noivern is so that the animation can include a flapping motion and look as awesome as it does in-game. 2 sprites each for front and back, one each with wings up/down. Currently, the base pose will be wings-down, unless wings-up looks phenomenal.)

this post is probably semi-coherent at best. I lied, I do need sleep. +/

this post is probably semi-coherent at best. I lied, I do need sleep.
Aww. -hug- it's going to be OK

And I know exactly how you feel; it's 4:00am right now lol. This has been me almost every night for the past six weeks. I'm pretty sure that I've lost around 5 lbs.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really mind the change to Trevenant's eye, but I can't say I prefer it. Looking straight ahead may seem more "normal" but looking downwards just has so much more personality. I never really saw it as looking at the ground, but kinda looking down towards the other side. It gives it more of the sense of being taller, ominously looming over the opponent. For a phantom tree, I think that it's a lot more fitting.

For example, Watchog is the same case. Looking downwards is just so much more expressive.

doublade.png
doubladeback.png

EDIT: Gave the backsprite a go too
Only updated the front sprite at the moment, currently trying to figure out how to make the edits to the blade for the backsprite....such an awkward thing to do QC for @_@. The right hand blade looked awkward, so I've attempted to straighten it out - plus I've edited the colours a little to match this brilliant Honedge sprite by Princessofmusic (after all, Doublade is essentially two Honedge having a Swords Dance):
honedge.png

Speaking of this Honedge...I was wondering for a while why it hadn't made it onto the spreadsheet - then I realised it doesn't have a backsprite. XD

In terms of other sprites:
Quilladin.png

I do feel this version of Quilladin is a better than dat rapeface we currently have (no offence to those who made it xD) - though might need a bit of a colour update (either that or update Chespin and Chesnaught to match this)
EDIT: Decided to see what this looks like with Chespin's sprite palette:
Quilladin.png
Quilladinback.png

Last edited:
Wait what?
60 pages woot!
Also, its actual eyes are not 6 dots

Link
Another Link
It's plausibly the closest you're going to get to Quilladin's eyes looking similar to that picture, given the limitations of a 96 x 96 sprite - if you made the whole area around those pupils white, the eyes would be massive and would look very out of place (the eyes look awful on the current Quilladin sprite). It looks odd when you zoom in, but it fits the purpose at the zoom level is will be viewed at on Showdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)