Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/719.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/720.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/721.shtml

this is mainly a gift to layell, a revisit of the hilarious serebii slip, funny how they were able to get stuff like the pokemon classification if even smealum hasn't revealed it yet, just putting these out there incase this helps anybody spriting these for fun rn somehow, also an update: working on mega latios front, not attempting the backs until smealum shows em

Wow man those are amazing. I was considering a redo myself, but that is just great.

Let me know when it's 100% finished, and I would like to do shiny colors, since I already did Honedge.
They should be done by this point, I'm just waiting for any comments/criticisms at this point, so yeah. Glad to hear other people like it as much as I do. +)

This thing was almost too much fun for me to work with. And I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe it was something to do with all of the geometry going on in the sprite. But yeah, something about this particular sprite seemed very refreshing and awesome to me. But yeah, Doublade sprites. All of the silvers are ripped from Honedge, and all of the gold/(dun?) was ripped from Honedge as well, barring the highlight which was taken from Shiny Numel (no idea why I chose it either.) The pinks and purples were likewise ripped from Shiny Swampert.
Only thing I feel looks slightly off is the right blade (on the front sprite, as such it's the left blade on the backsprite) - the sides of the blade look awkward considering the line goes from / to - and back to /. I'm also under the impression that both blades face the exact same direction, and are merely positioned at right angles to each other. Beyond that, yet another classy sprite.

Any Better?
Those look amazing! I had no idea that shiny Doublade looked so cool.
Minor nitpick - it's a little difficult to see the pupils on their hilts, and the screenshot shows that they're a bit easier to see, as the lines are black as opposed to grey. Maybe darken them a tad?
Aside from that, great job! I love the colour pallet you used.

Those look amazing! I had no idea that shiny Doublade looked so cool.
Minor nitpick - it's a little difficult to see the pupils on their hilts, and the screenshot shows that they're a bit easier to see, as the lines are black as opposed to grey. Maybe darken them a tad?
Aside from that, great job! I love the colour pallet you used.
Thanks for the feedback. I can darken the pupil a bit, but i think it has a certain appeal as is. Nonetheless, I will fix it for the better of the project.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
only thing that we dont excatly know about their 1 ft size difference if its from the lightning bolt or from his head. Might want to compare the two closely first.
Me being extra late as per usual, figured I'd finally get off my behind and take a picture of the two and compare them side-by-side: (Image is pretty huge)

Manectric-Mega really does get the extra foot mainly from the height of its sprite, so looking back at it the first draft I did was actually not all too far off from accurate in proportion to the regular form of it. So bringing this back one last time before I touch it up again, for comparison's sake:

Proportions are my main focus here, so are those alright? If so I can just make some more edits to this sprite until everything's decent. I like RedRooster's edit and was getting into touching up until I decided to actually put this side-by-side comparison up for public discretion.

Me being extra late as per usual, figured I'd finally get off my behind and take a picture of the two and compare them side-by-side: (Image is pretty huge)

Manectric-Mega really does get the extra foot mainly from the height of its sprite, so looking back at it the first draft I did was actually not all too far off from accurate in proportion to the regular form of it. So bringing this back one last time before I touch it up again, for comparison's sake:

Proportions are my main focus here, so are those alright? If so I can just make some more edits to this sprite until everything's decent. I like RedRooster's edit and was getting into touching up until I decided to actually put this side-by-side comparison up for public discretion.
My main concern on the proportions are that the spike in the very front should be longer. That and the very bottom spike should be thinner.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My main concern on the proportions are that the spike in the very front should be longer. That and the very bottom spike should be thinner.
Duly noted...Was gonna touch those up in the final edit, just wanted to make sure the body lengths were all right

Ok, 3rd time's the charm lol (Sry Layell, putting link this time to prevent huge image wall.)
Ok maybe it's just how Pokemon Showdown sizes the sprites, but I (Still) think that the clawitzer sprite needs to be smaller. If you disagree, look at this Screenshot I took while battling with it.

http://s8.postimg.org/tb4741vpx/Claw_png.jpg

That thing just looks WAY too big imo... Please make it a reasonable size if it can be fixed.

Ok, 3rd time's the charm lol (Sry Layell, putting link this time to prevent huge image wall.)
Ok maybe it's just how Pokemon Showdown sizes the sprites, but I (Still) think that the clawitzer sprite needs to be smaller. If you disagree, look at this Screenshot I took while battling with it.

http://s8.postimg.org/tb4741vpx/Claw_png.jpg

That thing just looks WAY too big imo... Please make it a reasonable size if it can be fixed.

For the sake of size comparison, just to put this to rest, here is Clawitzer next to a back sprite of a same-height competitor, Drapion. Clawitzer is slightly taller, but that is only due to the angling of its claw. It would effectively be smaller was the claw not angled downward. Aside from that, what is likely causing you to think there is a massive size difference is the presence of the whiskers. They do push the boundaries of the sprite somewhat, but overall they don't add much to Clawitzer's overall height and presence. Perhaps he is a bit big, but considering the vast size inaccuracies in Pokémon games, size is more of a frivolous guideline than a strict law when it comes to sprite sizing. If it ever becomes a bigger issue, perhaps I can go back and shrink it down a tad, but currently most of the community does not seem to object to its size, so I'd rather spend my time and energy working on other Pokémon that need more hands-on work first. Be assured, your comment has been duly noted, but currently it isn't an issue of high priority.

EDIT: Shiruba Fun fact, the whiskers were actually longer on the base. The ones you see here are actually shorter than they should be. Clawitzer just has some seriously long whiskers, lol.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment of Clawitzer not being all that massive. The bulk of the sprite's size is due to the cannon in its arm, and that cannon is supposed to be ridiculously huge - that's Clawitzer's main design focus, so exaggeration is of course necessary. As for the whiskers, a lot of it is negative space - they're just long, that it, and they're supposed to be long. Perhaps they could be shortened a tad, but I see no problem with them, and the sprite in general.

[it looks great, btw!]

I guess most of the illusion of the size is the claw whisker thing
is it possible to change the angle a bit if possible?

EDIT: Look at Mega Gyarados's whiskers... They stretch down more than half of its shrimp body.

Last edited:
There appears to be another issue (more with Showdown than with the sprite itself) - the zoom in which the backsprite is viewed. Whilst the back sprite looks absolutely fine on here (when I put it in Photoshop, it comes to 90 x 89 pixels in terms of size), all backsprites are not viewed at this 100% zoom. On Photoshop, the Clawitzer backsprite is 149x148 - an approximate zoom of 165%.

If something looks too big on Showdown, that's quite possibly because of the zoom rather than the sprite itself.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it looks fine as well. It also looks pretty large because the back of the claw is where it gets that height unlike drapion where its height is in the front of the body. It just gives it the illusion of looking bigger than it really is.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey the last frame of vivillon animation has a white line appear at the bottom of the box, could someone jump in a remove that?

Working with limited spriting capabilites to get rid of line...

Will be finished soon :D

EDIT: Almost done, should be finished sometime tomorrow due to homeworkz

Last edited:
photo.PNG
On an unrelated topic, since everyone here seemed more impressed with using Noivern's ingame model than I was originally, I played around with its 3D model a bit more before finally coaxing it into this pose. What do you guys think? I personally find this pose to be of a better angle than the previous flying shot taken, in addition to showing off Noivern's wings more accurately. I also have another picture with its wings straight up that I could contribute to Noivern's animator in order to achieve a flapping effect, which would probably look sweet in motion on Showdown. Thoughts and/or acceptance/booing would be appreciated here.

EDIT: Also would like to briefly mention how annoying it was to grab this snapshot on my phone, as basic pictures kept blurring the frames. Ended up having to take video footage of it moving and play the Pause game with it until I landed the shot, after which I screenshotted it. Bit of a pain, but overall a much clearer result on my crud-tastic phone.

Is there any intention of spriting some of the trainers and characters in 6th gen? My friend was whining to me earlier about not being able to use Lysandre as his avatar so I was wondering if the idea was brought up to make avatars for the trainers also.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not going to spend my time collecting and perfecting trainer sprites, it would open a really nasty floodgate of people wanting all sorts of trainers or dare I say, custom characters. Not worth it, this project is already incredibly daunting as it is.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
whoops. sorry about that. Heres vivillon without that white line.

vivllion-front.gif

I mentioned it earlier but if you want to give her 1 or 2 alt patterns, I dont mind editing the animation with the new pattern since doing so is fairly easy.

edit: sorry sunny didnt notice you was fixing it too.

Last edited:
Poor talonflame lol with his different normal/shiny sprites.

I tried to make that a gif of the two sprites switching between each other. Dammit.

Anyway, I got a shiny for it, and fletchinder as well.

Enjoy.

Poor talonflame lol with his different normal/shiny sprites.

I tried to make that a gif of the two sprites switching between each other. Dammit.

Anyway, I got a shiny for it, and fletchinder as well.

Enjoy.
I know it already has a full animation already, but I wish Talonflame's right wing was more like Pigeotto where the inner part is seen or Braviary where more of the back of the wing is seen.

Doubt my suggestion would take into account how Talonflame already has a full animation.

Fletchinder's body looks way too small when compared to the other birds to me. It has the same height as Swellow, but it's body is even smaller than Tranquill's sprite. (Not talking about added height the wings give)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)