Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Time for Cosplay updates yay! Pikachu Libre is fully finished on my part or as the base for him anyways. Pop just needs her little skirt on the back sprite. Ph D. only has her hat and hair on the front sprite. The Skirt on Pop was hell, I'm lucky that I only have to make two of them damn it.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think someone here understands what recolour means. Yeah it's an edit, and really I was flirting with the idea of editing the static and the animations legs but then I saw all the other stuff I had to do, so I didn't. This project is at the point again where we have to look forward for the time being, as more reveals will be happening each month. I'd love to be ready for release again.

Some others have seen this but here is some Groudon progress

Original - An Early Edit with Head Glow - Almost done

Some thoughts:
-We could make the primals bigger, but really only one pixel all around, not worth it imo, we should be practical
-Spikes are bigger and tail spikes need to be split still
-New colour palette will help with transformation
-Yellow glow on head is not going to happen, I've toured around at other sprites and haven't seen it done well. We can just say you cannot see the glow from that towering angle B)

For TrainerSplash
I realized you could use for PhD Pika that rare candy blue as a bit darker and as an outline for the lab coat as well. A greyish blue could work well.

I don't think someone here understands what recolour means. Yeah it's an edit, and really I was flirting with the idea of editing the static and the animations legs but then I saw all the other stuff I had to do, so I didn't. This project is at the point again where we have to look forward for the time being, as more reveals will be happening each month. I'd love to be ready for release again.

Some others have seen this but here is some Groudon progress

Original - An Early Edit with Head Glow - Almost done

Some thoughts:
-We could make the primals bigger, but really only one pixel all around, not worth it imo, we should be practical
-Spikes are bigger and tail spikes need to be split still
-New colour palette will help with transformation
-Yellow glow on head is not going to happen, I've toured around at other sprites and haven't seen it done well. We can just say you cannot see the glow from that towering angle B)

For TrainerSplash
I realized you could use for PhD Pika that rare candy blue as a bit darker and as an outline for the lab coat as well. A greyish blue could work well.
I do actually like the idea of making the Primals larger, but augh, I just wish the sprite canvas on PS was increased to 111x111, like White Kyurem's backsprite. The Primals are noticeably larger, especially Kyogre, so I see no reason why we couldn't at least try to somewhat enlargen them. This'd likely be the easiest with the to-be-revealed Primal Rayquaza because of its serpentine body, but I guess I could give the enlarged sprites a try, if you don't mind.

A way to fix the golden glow on the head could be to recolor the lightest shade of red to a gold color; have you tried that yet? The last thing to note is how Primal Groudon appears to have a larger tail and the four points at the end spread at a slight angle, they're no longer symmetrical.

That's all input I can give for now. Hope it's any helpful.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Mega Sableye Update
Repositioned head new ear. slight adjustment to the rupee. But only a bit of moving outlines and and things, nothing huge.

Pikachu PhD
Although I was given color choice I am confused on how it should be done.
For TrainerSplash
Can you tell me where that rare candy is? I don't see where it is and it bothers me. To me it looks like in both pockets are books. I honestly tried to spot it but I saw no images with a rare candy.

Pikachu PhD
Although I was given color choice I am confused on how it should be done.

Can you tell me where that rare candy is? I don't see where it is and it bothers me. To me it looks like in both pockets are books. I honestly tried to spot it but I saw no images with a rare candy.
He's talking about the colour blue that is seen on the rare candy sprite, which would be a useful colour choice for the Phd Pikachu. Hope that helps.

So my life's been pretty active recently what with running multiple games of Ultimate Werewolf, Betrayal and King of Tokyo, building first level Aasimars for Society play, and watching multiple movies with my family to overcompensate for moving into a dorm next Wednesday. Oh yeah, and college preparations. Combine that with the fact that I hated what I was working on led to me taking way too long to put this guy out, but at long last, it's time everyone's favorite Water-Type-Sugomori-Bastard-Child saw an update.

Binacle aka, the Game Grumps
New_____Old______

~F&B: Cleaned up and re-scratched most of the details of the rock. Now the rock only uses two primary shades with two different outline shades. Rock now is less lopsided and more muffin-shaped like it should be. Pitted areas have been altered to better match Barbaracle's style.
~F&B: Stalks now have shading, and the outlines between orange and white have been removed.
~F&B: Stalk heads now have proper "paper bag" look.
~F&B: Claws have been altered to better resemble the style changes made to Barbaracle with less distinct seems. Also, the claws look less like a box of french fries and are now more rigid.
~Front: Faces have been entirely remade. The old faces didn't share the same facial expression, and they are now of equal grumpitude. This required a LOT of outline trickery to come out right, and this was easily the hardest part of this revamp taking around 1-2 hours to perfect.
~No seriously, if you think trying to get one face to look good is hard, try two faces that are supposed to be identical, at different angles, with the most scrunched-up old man "GET OFF MY LAWN" look you've ever seen. Any appeal that Binacle had to me before is dead now.
So, new-found deep-seated hatred aside, feel free to shoot me any comments or criticisms about this guy. I hate barnacles now so I probably won't fix whatever you guys call out I'm always willing to heed your advice, so feel free to give me a shout-out.

Speaking of shoutouts...
Layell - I'm also going to put stake in the size increase camp. There's definitely a height difference between the primal and normal Groudon, so I think it'd be wrong to not increase its size. Granted, I don't see giving it its own size increase as being a high priority, so I'd only worry about that once we get to the end of the ORAS sprite run. (Ya'know, like what I've said about MegaDactyl in the past)

I know you mentioned the color change earlier, but I would like to emphasize that Primal Groudon seems to be more of a magenta-shade of red than normal Groudon, as well as having a darker gray for its underbelly. Other than that, I'd recommend making the yellow a bit paler and potentially adding some of the floaty-bits in the thicker lines. If that sentence made no sense, I'm basing the statement off of the magma-like glow shown in the Sugimori art and, to a lesser degree, the ingame model, as it adds a more organic feel to the glow, if that gives you any better idea. If you need an extra shade for the floaty bits, I'd recommend just removing the lightest shade of yellow since it's fairly invisible in the current sprite.

The only other issue I have is that the yellow glow seems a bit blotchy in some areas, notably the front sprite's legs and the back's tail. I'd try to space out the branches of the pattern a bit more in those areas, as it seems a bit cramped as-is. Adding an intermediary between the red and yellow other than the outline shade could help to smooth out some of the more jagged sections as well.

So yeah, that's all the thoughts I have on Primal Groudon. If you want to talk about it more, you know my Skype. +)
The Cynical Poet - Oh god, Litleo's eyes are so soulless. Those eyes are the eyes of a hardened killer; one that has slain so many as to have grown desensitized to the outside world. Hitler would run and hide from those eyes, like jeez. Btw, this is about Litleo in general. You did a good job with the eyes, as they convey the soulless stare present in its official design. Good on ya'. Also, top eyes are superior IMO.

Granted, the sprite does still have its issues. Here are the ones that stick out to me at a glance:
-The feet are flat and unmarked. Consider adding more of a curve to the bottoms of the paws, and using an outline shade to better mark the divisions between toes. Tweaking the outline colors a bit might be required to make it look right, but currently its very hard to see at a glance.
-The (our) left ear is a little off. Push it down a few pixels, as since it is farther back and the head is level with the ground, it should be shorter than the right ear. In addition, I feel the tan sections of the ears are too wide. Adding more shading on those areas would also improve their appearance.
-The back leg doesn't have a well-defined haunch. There should be a more well-defined delineation between where the torso ends and the leg begins. A good example of what I mean can be seen on Absol's backsprite. Notice how the back leg meets with the rest of the body; there's a section a few pixels long that juts into the rest of the body where the two meet, clearly marking where the leg begins to separate from the rest of the body.
-The body on page 103 is too long, IMO. The sprite on page 102 has a better width, so I'd rip the body from the older sprite for use in future edits.

I'm glad to see you working on Litleo, and you've made pretty good progress so far. If you have any questions or want to cantact me directly for advice, feel free to shoot me a PM.
If I call out anyone else, it'll be later today. This post has kept me up for 2 hours, and currently it's 3AM. I'm going to hit the sack, so ttyl.

Sláinte!

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Well I remade Clauncher from scratch. Colors are from sugi-art but have some custom colors in there too. I'm having trouble with it's skinny body towards the end I don't want to redo it but should be fine if I have to remake it. 13 colors but 14 including transparency (which I didn't add). I added Corphish as he is a similar crab with the legs, body and eye like features. I also used Corphish as a size comparison to show that Clauncher is smaller than Corphish. I also plan to redo the antennas and mouth piece.

I'm really enjoying this project!I'm always looking for more feedback!

Edit: I forgot to say that I am still streaming myself spriting, so if you want to give feedback there go ahead.

Last edited:
Well I remade Clauncher from scratch. Colors are from sugi-art but have some custom colors in there too. I'm having trouble with it's skinny body towards the end I don't want to redo it but should be fine if I have to remake it. 13 colors but 14 including transparency (which I didn't add). I added Corphish as he is a similar crab with the legs, body and eye like features. I also used Corphish as a size comparison to show that Clauncher is smaller than Corphish. I also plan to redo the antennas and mouth piece.

Edit: I forgot to say that I am still streaming myself spriting, so if you want to give feedback there go ahead.
Your Clauncher has a nice start, but its outline definitely needs to be smoothed out. More specifically, the tail 'fins', his claws, his antennas, and the top of his head as a whole. You also should work on shrinking Clauncher's head, because its forehead is just way too big in my opinion. Finally, his smaller claw looks more like a blob than a claw, so it needs to be defined a lot more.

To be honest, the sizing looks a bit off. Corphish is 2ft, Clauncher is 1ft 8 in - yet it looks like Clauncher would be much larger than Corphish as opposed to simply being a similar height. Additionally, it looks rather misshapen - as per the comments from Poet above. I also think the shading needs a bit of work - it seems far too blotchy, particularly on the head and the claw.

Also, your sprite reminded me that a friend of mine had put together a quick sprite of Clauncher when it was first announced. From there, I've asked him to send me it again, and I've made a few edits to it (in the sense of palette and trying to rework that fiddly smaller claw). It's not perfect by any stretch but I feel like it is a pretty decent sprite proportionally (if I recall my friend did a trace of sorts over the official art). Feedback welcome.
Clauncher.png

Last edited:
Uh. My bad.

View attachment 21538

Others have seen this QC already, and while it's pretty much complete, I withheld it because I was unsure of the shiny and was working on Clawitzer. I might fiddle with the colours in the future.

Perhaps I should've uploaded this a couple of hours ago, but I needed Photoshop and was drawing something in SAI, which always decides to crash if I open the former. ]:

Wobblebuns Could you post the full kanga kid back? It might help with animation. Medicham's ribbons look much smoother, although the curve of its butt doesn't extend far enough to the left and looks strange.

In response to aXl's suggestions, I have made somewhat dramatic changes to Litleo:

The list of changes includes:
- Cutting both ears down dramatically in both height and width
- Reducing the width of Litleo's face by a pixel
- Giving more shading to Litleo's new ears
- Rounding out the paws more.
- Reworking Litleo's back leg
- Giving him back his soulless eyes and slightly smaller body size.

In regards to your suggestion about the toes on the paws, I experimented several different ways, but I feel that Litleo's paws are just too small to add any more detail as it makes it appear too cluttered with shading. To try and remedy that, I put a bridged mark over Litleo's front paw. It's still difficult to see, I'll admit, though I don't think it's that crippling of a detail.

When it came to reworking Litleo's back leg, I decided that I just needed to give it a different pose altogether. I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of with your suggestion, but I feel it works better than the original regardless. Additionally, the left ear is still slightly higher up than the right ear is. I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I lower the left ear down or raise the right one up, it just looks lopsided to me. Hopefully with the ears being smaller in general, this issue isn't that big of a deal.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I edit my clauncher and leave to see a movie only to come back to see that there is a brand new clauncher sprite already in place ;_;
Oh well, things happen, I wasn't really happy with mine anyways.

New litleo looks great something about it's edges make it look too soft though

As for myself, I'm gonna try working on those Pikachu, an more XY sprites. Any suggestions on things that still need to be fixed? I plan on making a new skrelp.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Time for Cosplay updates yay! Pikachu Libre is fully finished on my part or as the base for him anyways. Pop just needs her little skirt on the back sprite. Ph D. only has her hat and hair on the front sprite. The Skirt on Pop was hell, I'm lucky that I only have to make two of them damn it.
Hi, I'm no spriter myself but I wanted to give you a little bit of feedback. First of all, the Libre Pikachu looks really good, as does most of Pop Pikachu. My problem with Pop Pikachu is the skirt; it doesn't look like Pikachu is wearing it, it looks more like it stuck in front of her. This might be something to do with Pikachu's hands in the sprite, because zoomed out it looks like they are behind her skirt. Zooming in I can see that one is in front, but on the other it is still a little difficult to make out the end of it. It might be worth, instead of editing the skirt, since I can't see much being able to be done about that, actually editing Pikachu's little arms into a different position. Maybe you could hold them out like it's blowing a kiss; Pop Pikachu's special move is Draining Kiss, after all.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Hi, I'm no spriter myself but I wanted to give you a little bit of feedback. First of all, the Libre Pikachu looks really good, as does most of Pop Pikachu. My problem with Pop Pikachu is the skirt; it doesn't look like Pikachu is wearing it, it looks more like it stuck in front of her. This might be something to do with Pikachu's hands in the sprite, because zoomed out it looks like they are behind her skirt. Zooming in I can see that one is in front, but on the other it is still a little difficult to make out the end of it. It might be worth, instead of editing the skirt, since I can't see much being able to be done about that, actually editing Pikachu's little arms into a different position. Maybe you could hold them out like it's blowing a kiss; Pop Pikachu's special move is Draining Kiss, after all.
Thanks for the feedback, however I don't think I can really do anything about the skirt, But I possibly could try moving her arms around. But this means I would also have to move the arms on the back sprite making it more awkward. Again if I tried to create a new set of hands, I would also have to create a new back sprite. But I was thinking of idea to match their costumes, such as libre flexing his arms as a rare animation.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
regarding Pikachu Libre I noticed that the red lines correspond to regular Pikachu's brown stripes. It seems each gen Nintendo is intent on slowly modifying Pikachu to be less of a fat mouse and more cute. I swear those stripes were not that high up back in the day.

Also huge shout-out to Quinella who put up bw animated sprites as an option again on PS. I went and added the animations I neglected to for the past few months.

Finally got to work with Mega-Audino and here it is so far.

Mega-Audino

- - -

And as requested, here's the stand-alone sprite for Kanga-baby's back. Also, took care of a stray black pixel there.

But ugh, the back sprite looks a bit sloppy...maybe it's just me. I'll most probably fix it later in time together with Mega-Medicham.

- - -
Hmmm do you mean make new feet? cause I was defiantly going to make new hands. It's Sugimori art shows it with it's leg up like blaziken a little. Should I implement that? I need to figure out how to do that hair those ears. It's going to look so sloppy due to my terrible spriting skills.
New and longer legs+new hands.

About the pose, I would suggest a standing position instead, feet apart, to show the details of the design more clearly. With the leg up, I'm not so sure of it as the sprite as a whole may look potentially messy, especially with all the "fluff stuff" going on. Maybe you could do a side-by-side comparison of both versions and let's see what will work best for it.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
regarding Pikachu Libre I noticed that the red lines correspond to regular Pikachu's brown stripes. It seems each gen Nintendo is intent on slowly modifying Pikachu to be less of a fat mouse and more cute. I swear those stripes were not that high up back in the day.
I added new stripes to go with the shirt. if you want I can add the old stripes back.

New and longer legs+new hands.

About the pose, I would suggest a standing position instead, feet apart, to show the details of the design more clearly. With the leg up, I'm not so sure of it as the sprite as a whole may look potentially messy, especially with all the "fluff stuff" going on. Maybe you could do a side-by-side comparison of both versions and let's see what will work best for it.
Tried the leg being up, It didn't work at all. I can possibly spread the legs out and bend them a little to put them in that "fighting position"
Also on your Mega Audino, the eyes look too light, try using a darker shade of pink for them.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You know Trainersplash, if you wanted to make a pose with the leg up, I bet it would make for a nice rare animation.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Actually, using the "high leg" idea for a rare animation isn't a bad idea. I think I'll make both versions of the sprite now!

edit: here it is so far. didn't make high leg though, but I will when I have time. For now this is the main sprite

Last edited:
In response to aXl's suggestions, I have made somewhat dramatic changes to Litleo:

The list of changes includes:
- Cutting both ears down dramatically in both height and width
- Reducing the width of Litleo's face by a pixel
- Giving more shading to Litleo's new ears
- Rounding out the paws more.
- Reworking Litleo's back leg
- Giving him back his soulless eyes and slightly smaller body size.

In regards to your suggestion about the toes on the paws, I experimented several different ways, but I feel that Litleo's paws are just too small to add any more detail as it makes it appear too cluttered with shading. To try and remedy that, I put a bridged mark over Litleo's front paw. It's still difficult to see, I'll admit, though I don't think it's that crippling of a detail.

When it came to reworking Litleo's back leg, I decided that I just needed to give it a different pose altogether. I'm not sure if this is what you were thinking of with your suggestion, but I feel it works better than the original regardless. Additionally, the left ear is still slightly higher up than the right ear is. I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I lower the left ear down or raise the right one up, it just looks lopsided to me. Hopefully with the ears being smaller in general, this issue isn't that big of a deal.
Can you perhaps make it's head a little bit rounded? The left cheek kinda looks like a slide of pixels and the forehead looks really wide, not the normal Litleo that I see. I have a spare Litleo sprite that I recycled with the old hind and front legs design. The left cheek remained the same with a few more pixels to renew it, as you'll notice it's head is a bit of rounded, I also plunged in the forehead a bit and drawn it a bit closer to the eyes. I also changed the soulless eyes into something more expressing.
The darker color -->
The lighter color -->

Sorry for tinkering around without permission. I'll work more of it if I get a nice permission though. Tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)