Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have made some choice QC for Fennekin

Mostly yellow and white colour but also giving neck a shape.

Just a reminder new folks: We do have a spreadsheet on the first post with some fine sprites already done. Follow the spreadsheet. If you just give a front I'm less likely when I already have a matching front and back.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been lurking this thread for a whole day and some change now, and honestly the thought of doing sprites for PS when XY came out excited me...Several years ago, I used to do a TON of spriting since all I had was a Windows 98 computer, MS Paint was my go-to outlet for digital art. So it grew on me as a big hobby that I often did for fun, and I also used my skills when doing ROM Hacks, another hobby of mine from back in the day. Unfortunately I kinda...fell out of it.

Dunno how or why, but seeing this got me real eager to want to take a crack at it, so I threw together a Quilladin sprite from scratch. Unfortunately I have no backsprite right now (and I was too lazy to make it transparent since I spent about an hour and a half and it's kinda late), but I'd like some feedback perhaps:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus

a leaked image of the game finally has given us a proper quilladin backspite source (i.e not in the middle of a move).
elcheeso's is really good but the proportions are a bit off, as it can clearly be noted here. I cannot sprite myself but if anyone has the interest to revamp the existing one this may help.

I think one other Mega Venusaur was already added but I thought I'd just post this here as well. Working on the back and shiny sprites.

Hahey, which pokemon haven't been done yet? Have litleo, pyroar, furfrou, meostic, and spritzee been done? I'll start taking a crack at some of 'em, eh.

I'm not a spriter, although I might be able to help with perspective by providing art to sprite over. I haven't drawn Pokemon in a while though, so I'll need a few days to get back into the style ^^;

Hey folks,

I have deleted a number of posts in this thread, and need to share a number of reminders with you.

This is not a place to show off XY sprites you have made in the past. This is a project to create front and back "ingame" sprites for XY pokemon in the style of pokemon black and white.

If you would like to share sprites that are not for this project, please do so in this thread here.

Please read the first post to find layell's spreadsheet and note which pokemon have already been completed.

If you do not follow the instructions of this thread, your post will be removed and you may be given a warning. Lots of people have worked very hard to get this project to where it is currently-- if you would like to contribute please make sure you are contributing properly!

Thank you!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have a few tips for everyone who is coming in to help with the project.

The big one is, of course, to check the spreadsheet as Layell has mentioned. I see people throwing out sprites in this thread without checking the spreadsheet. For many pokemon, we already have rough front and back sprites, and there's QC needed more than more sprites. If there is not, or you think your front and back sprites are better than the ones up there, please add them separately.

That brings me to my second word of advice. We have people that are phenomenal with creating front sprites, whether through making pixel-overs or scratching, but we have fewer people that are just as capable of making back sprites. If you decide to make a sprite, please try to make a back sprite to accompany the front. Consistency between front and back sprites is good: If another artist sprites a back sprite, people may see a jarring difference in art styles between two sprites.

Thirdly, be aware of the size and pose of your sprites. Just because an image is in pixels does not mean it fits in-game sprites. Consider:

Is Furfrou a giant of a pokemon that rivals Reshiram in size? It's a poodle, which is closer to the size of other canine pokemon.

Thankfully, sprites can be scaled down relatively easily--it's less likely that a spriter creates a sprite too small and must scale it up.

Make sure that the sprites made are in a relatively neutral pose, too! We'd like the sprites to all be animated at some point, and a dynamic pose may look unusual when it's idly moving. Compare your sprites to the ones in-game if you have concerns over likenesses to Gen. V ones. :)

I've been working primarily on the spreadsheet instead of posting material here. Tyrantrum (with help from elcheeso and Wyverii), Doublade, and Espurr are my most recent additions.

Edit: Partially ninja'd!

Thanks! I'm really no expert with sprites so crits are super helpful. I can definitely make back-sprites though since I'm more used to drawing than... spriting haha, and that's what's involved. Anyhow it looks like you shrink the front sprite so I'll just work making the back view smaller, then I can do uhmmm... another pokemon haha.

Oki, I checked the spreadsheet and saw that Fletchinder wa sstill free, so I'm claiming that one :3
I got the outline ready, might post it here to see if you can see some errors in it, if you ask so

What I've had so far, in anticipation for something like this:

Edit: Litleo, Flabebe, Clauncher, and Skrelp.
Litleo doesn't seem to be as good as the rest.
Hey, so I thought I'd stop by and give this stuff a glance. I do like your sprites but I have to agree, Litleo looks a little wonky compared to the rest. I know his official appearance is wonky to begin with, but I believe he has a larger head and longer limbs relative to his body. And, his backsprite is a little inconsistent with the front one. If it's alright with you, I'd like to give him a shot. One other suggestion is that while your shading is very neat and clean, it also seems kind of reserved and hugging the edges, making it look a little like pillow shading. Flabebe's shading is wonderful, but Clauncher has the highlights directly on the other side of the shades in his larger claw. However, besides that, it's wonderful and that's saying something becuase I love that crab guy dearly.
And, if it's OK with you- may I give Litleo a shot and perhaps even animate him? I know the rules above say that I should probably start on a new sprites, but I don't know if I have any concepts for others yet. And, you've made quite a lot, so if it helps to take a bit of the workload off. XD

Hey guys, I know I might not have been 100% reliable on spriting things up until now, but I'm going to take a crack at Mega Charizard X, you know, if its okay with you guys.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah but

Might do some touchups still, but I need to food then class.

Last edited:
Okay....... I REALLY need to check the thread more carefully, sorry about that.

Edit: Meh, I might as well reserve Espurr (if it turns out to be real), if that's okay. Now, lets find out that someone has already reserved it.

Edit Edit 2: Ignore this previous edit.

Edit 3: I checked the spreadsheet, and I will reserve Swirlix's evo.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Also new channel on syn.irc #xysprites

I might be using this for things that relate to this project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)