Gen 6 XY Ubers Teambuilding Compendium

Approved my Melee Mewtwo~
Hello guys. Decided to make this teambuilding compendium so new players know which pokemon does what in the ubers metagame. This will make XY Ubers teambuilding a lot easier.

This compendium contains basic structures for teams and an array of possible mons for specific roles on teams. Having a visual cue helps people build better and more diverse teams. This will contain pools of viable mons (I will omit the very shitty ones and ones that are completely outclassed but keep even niche ones. The original purpose of this was to have a link to every in-Dex analysis but, this could not be possible because there's not enough analyses at the moment however, when the time comes, I will do such thing.

Feel free to discuss pokemon that you consider viable and should be added to the compendium.

Team Structure:

When teambuilding for Ubers, don't try to directly counter every single Offensive/Defensive threat, I have yet to see a team that it is able to do that, in other words, it is nearly impossible to achieve, especially in a generation like XY, where team matchup decides a lot of the battles, the best you can do is build a team that can do well against standard builds and hope that your opponent doesn't bring that threat you're weak to.

Teambuilding is very limited in XY thanks to pokemon like Xerneas, Mega Gengar and Ho-Oh being metagame defining pokemon, which sucks as they are really hard to check/ counter. Weather being nerfed in this generation also limits teambuilding in the sense that pokemon like Excadrill, Omastar and Kabutops which relied on weather support to work at their finest are harder to use.

Defog being buffed is also another huge addition to the metagame since it doesn't only outclass Rapid Spin users but makes the metagame a lot more passive than last gen. Hyper Offensive teams that rely on Spike-stack are really rare and most (if not all of them) make sure their team carries enough offensive pressure just so the opponent doesn't Defog the hazards. Defog also made Ho-Oh easier to use ( I still think it's a kick to the ballsack trying to build around it but w.e).

With Hyper Offensive being not as common as last gen, the metagame slowed down a lot so not every team needs a scarfer or a really fast pokemon.

With all these being said, what I consider that needs to be top priority of being covered is: Kyogre switch-in, Xerneas check, Extremekiller Arceus check, Ho-Oh check, Mewtwo(X/Y) check, Stealth Rocks, Electric resist, Ground resist, Dragon resist, Dark resist, priority, hazard control (Defog/ Rapid Spin), you also need to make sure that 2 or more of your pokemon don't get trapped and beaten by Mega Gengar, what I mean by "beaten" is that they get beaten without forcing Gengar to use Destiny Bond (i.e Grasseus, Xerneas, Sylveon, etc...).

Stealth Rock users
-------------------------------------

Stall Breakers

Priority

Xerneas checks

Kyogre switch-ins

Mewtwo Checks

Ho-Oh checks

Extremekiller Arceus checks

Offensive Pokemon
------------------------------------

Defensive Pokemon

Defog / Rapid Spin users
------------------------------------

Arceus sprite indicates that any Arceus form can carry Defog.

Post for any required updates, rate comment sub and later guys?

Last edited:
tenta for spin and defensive
quagsire and mewtwo for ekiller check
remove shednja (cmon)
add talonflame to priority
remove mmx from stallbreak (it doesn't do anything)
add arceus normal, arceus poison, arceus steel, and arceus fire to "xern checks"
add arceus water, zekrom, and rayquaza for ogre switch in (i know that they're kinda situational, but it can be done)
add arceus poison and arceus rock to stall break
add arceus electric and arceus water for ho-oh check

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
tenta for spin and defensive
quagsire and mewtwo for ekiller check
remove shednja (cmon)
add talonflame to priority
remove mmx from stallbreak (it doesn't do anything)
add arceus normal, arceus poison, arceus steel, and arceus fire to "xern checks"
add arceus water, zekrom, and rayquaza for ogre switch in (i know that they're kinda situational, but it can be done)
add arceus poison and arceus rock to stall break
add arceus electric and arceus water for ho-oh check
I agree with all of these except Talonflame (and Arceus-Rock isn't really a good stallbreaker since most stall has Aegis, Grassceus, or Kyogre) because its analysis was rejected

E: oh yeah and remove rhyperior from ho-oh checks, it sucks lol

Last edited:
Perhaps add Excadrill and Heatran as Xerneas checks too? Exca needs sand to do it but its still worth mentioning imo

Edit: Add common/usable scarfers?

Following up on Nayrz's post, you could add Pokemon that work well with Choiced items/Life Orb?
I thought about Adding scarfers as well but I figured there's only 3 common scarfers that I see are Kyogre, Zekrom and maybe Xerneas. Other scarfers that may be considered viable like Jirachi or Genesect cause some stupid discussion and I decided to save me time to explain. And about the Life Orb and stuff. Come on dude, it's called "Offensive pokemon" for a reason :[

This is something that needs to be stated for future posts: The purpose of this compendium is to be a direct teambuilding guide for beginners. The reason why groups such as Scarfers, Clerics, Support etc. were not added is because the team does NOT require them. Whether it is offensive or defensive; the themes that were discussed were topics that I consider mandatory for every single team.

Last edited:
Thanks for the overall support guys, I really appreciate it :]

Added stuff:

Arceus-Water was added to Kyogre switch-ins and Ho-Oh check (Steeljackal's and Orch's request)
Groudon was added as Ho-Oh check (Steeljackal's request)
Our lord and saviour TANK Weezing was added as Extremekiller check and Defensive pokemon (Me)
Salamence was added as Extremekiller check and Ho-Oh check (Steelskitty's request)
Mega-Scizor as Extremekiller check (Me)
Giratina-A as Kyogre switch-ins (Steeljackal's request)
Arceus-Poison as stallbreaker and Xerneas check (Orch's request)
Arceus-Electric as Ho-Oh check (Orch's request)
Heatran (Chople Berry + Roar) as Xerneas check (Fireburn's request)
Arceus-Fire as Xerneas check (Orch's request)
Arceus-Ghost as Extremekiller check (WreckDra's request)
Mega-Kangaskhan as priority user (WreckDra's request)
Sableye as Extremekiller check (WreckDra's request)
Mega-Mawile as Xerneas check (Malefic's request)
Victini as Xerneas check (WreckDra's and Malefic's request)
Bronzong as Xerneas check (Malefic's request)
Deoxys-Attack as priority user (Me)

Rejected stuff:

Ferrothorn as Kyogre switch in and Xerneas check (Can't switch to Specs and only beats Sub Xerneas)
Arceus-Rock as stallbreaker
Hippowdon as Ho-Oh check (Can't do much, best it can do is Toxic it, Banded Brave Bird 2HKOs and Sacred Fire burn turns it into a 2HKO as well)
Ditto as anything, Ditto doesn't work in like 99.9% of scenarios, not worth mentioning it imo, stated by user Blue Jay, "Using Ditto is like trying to cover a cut-off leg with a band-aid".
Blissey as Xerneas check (Loses to Sub, Mixed, etc...)
Arceus-Steel as Xerneas check (Focus Blast)
Both Shuckle and Smeargle were rejected as Stealth Rock users (They require an unacceptable amount of support)

BTW, Getting a mon removed takes more than "It sucks".

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the overall support guys, I really appreciate it :]

Arceus-Fire as Xerneas check (For what Fireburn said)
Uh where did I say this ?_?

I was talking more about how Rockceus was a crappy stallbreaker due to having to deal with stuff like Kyogre, Grassy, Ferro, etc. Fireceus is a fine Xern check.

And Heatran can be added as a Xern check, Chople variants can still take Focus Blast (and HP Fire is way more common anyway)

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Stealth Rock Users:
  • I know Arceus formes dislike carrying Stealth Rock a lot of the time, but if you need to compress roles, this is sometimes the only way you can.
  • Role compression is hard to deal with sometimes, especially on extremely tight builds like Webs
  • see Shuckle although this is worse a lot of the time

Stall Breakers:
  • nothing yet, since Fairy Arceus doesn't have a sprite and all, but I have seen some successful builds with Stallbreaker Fairyceus
Priority Users:
  • no explanation needed :)

Xerneas Checks:
  • Like Klefki, TRTini ruins Geomancy Xerneas all the time
  • This things onlymain niche
Extreme Killer Arceus Checks:
  • It isn't OHKOed by +2 Shadow Claw and they usually carry wisp
  • nothing to explain here

Adding a pure support tab would be cool, it would give Scolipede a place on this list

well done Edgar

• Bronzong in Xern checks
  • Mega Mawile in Xern checks since you have it elsewhere already...
  • Mega Kangaskhan in priority users
  • Sableye in ekiller checks
  • Victini?

At a glance I don't see Waterceus as a Kyogre or Ho-Oh switchin (Kyogre is a little iffy but it's not bad with Zekrom or Ferrothorn as a teammate to sponge Thunders, Ho-Oh is more obvious since you can even take CB Brave Birds rather comfortably with PhysDef investment whilst Judgment hurts without sun up), as well as Quagsire not being listed as an Ekiller check-- GK Ekiller isn't common enough to warrant its not being listed anywhere. Specially Defensive Giratina-A is a Kyogre switchin. I could argue that Lum Groudon can serve as a switch in to defensive Kyogre as well but then again, a lot of stuff can. Ferrothorn is also a good switchin to any Kyogre not named Choice Specs. Gengar is a really iffy Xerneas check, even defensive Moonblast is a 3HKO iirc. I'm curious as to how Zekrom serves as a stallbreaker, stall teams are generally way more prepared for mixed Zekky than they were last gen. Something like TWave, sun CB, or Whirlwind Ho-Oh is a Xerneas "check" (I mean c'mon if you're gonna have Lugia there...). Am also curious as to why Hippowdon, Giratina-A, and Groudon aren't labeled as Ho-Oh checks. Ferrothorn could also MAYBE be labelled as a Xerneas check, but it loses to HP Fire, Close Combat, or (lol) Focus Blast. Beating Sub GeoXern is quite nice since they mainly run Thunder as a coverage move. Blissey is also a potential Xerneas check that loses to certain variants (Substitute and mixed CC in this case, I guess ResTalk can maybe stall you out but you do beat standard GeoXern). Showing only one Arceus sprite under "Defog Users" could be kind of misleading to new players, it's not even like Defog Normalceus is good anyway =\. Ditto is a viable check to Geomancy Xerneas in spite of being rather trashy in general. Intimidate Salamence serves as an Ekiller and Ho-Oh check. Other than that this looks good rn, I like how Xerneas "checks" are in quotations n_N
M-Gar is a xerneas check because it can Taunt then fire a clean 2hko with S-Bomb. Did u expect M-Gar to be a Xern counter? lol

Also Hippo can't force out Ho-Oh when brave bird actually has a decent chance of 2hko'ing Hippo after SR. While if Sacred Fire lands a burn that will be a nice n clean 2hko too. ( Assuming SR is up aswell.) Unlike groudon it can't threaten to KO it with a move aswell basically removing it's ability to '' check '' ho-oh.

And yeah idc if Max Adamant Attack Band isn't the most common ho-oh set right now. The point is that it exists and that it breaks every wall's ass open. ( Calcs were based of CB Max Attack adamant band damage when I was talking about hippo acting as a poor ho-oh check

And yes, even on 1-on1 situations ho-oh can just brave bird without worries. Srsly what can hippo do back anyway. If it SRocks it dies. If it Slack Off's it gets outstalled by gigantic Brave Bird PP. If it EQ's ( LOL). To be exact: Brave Bird has a 61% Chance of 2hkoing with brave bird. which is like i mentioned a guaranteed with SR up. But in case you suddenly want a calc without SR up ( there's one)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)