XY UU Pokemon Of The Week #5: Swampert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to TRC. for the structure, project summary paragraph, and the idea!

The XY UU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Underused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the UU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. We need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM me what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats!

This week's Pokemon is the Mud Fish Pokemon, Swampert!

Type:

Base Stats: 100 HP / 110 Attack / 90 Defense / 85 Special Attack / 90 Special Defense / 50 Speed
Abilities: Torrent / Damp (HA)
Introduction: Being a staple in OU for the ADV and DPP era, Swampert has found a home in UU after dropping last gen. It has great stats and defensive typing, with only one weakness in grass, and is also one of the best rock setters and phazers in the tier. Swampert can also go offensive too, sporting a large Base 110 Attack and good attacking STABs, it can utilize a Choice Band set quite well.

What to Try:

Physically Defensive
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald / Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Toxic

This is Swampert's standard set. All the moves are pretty standard- Scald is used with Impish as it is usually a utility move. If you'd rather have Scald do more damage, then running a Relaxed nature with no Speed EVs is viable as well. Toxic can be used over Roar to status mons on the switch that would wall it like Slowbro.

Choice Band
Swampert @ Choice Band
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Superpower

This set is a bit uncommon, and definitely underrated. Choice Band extends its already great Attack to new heights, and lets it destroy a lot of unsuspecting offensive mons. EQ and Waterfall are the STAB moves of choice, and can dish out lots of damage. Ice Punch, Stone Edge, and Superpower are coverage moves, letting it hit mons that can't be hit harder by EQ or Waterfall.

Other Options: Assault Vest can be used to tank hits fairly well. making it bulky on both sides.

A Specs set can be used, but this is generally outclassed by other water types like Starmie.

Mirror Coat is an interesting option (don't use this on AV .-.) that is used to deal out a surprising amount of damage to bulky waters trying to burn it with Scald.

Partners:
  • Fire Type mons that can take out Grass types, like Victini, Chandelure, and Mega Houndoom
  • Things that can take out common bulky Waters, like Celebi and Toxicroak.

Counters and Checks:
  • Grass types, mainly Ferroseed and Tangrowth, that laugh at hits from Swampert and can set up Leech Seed or kill with a SE move.
  • Swampert is hopeless against most bulky waters, such as Slowbro and Suicune.
  • Sableye is a good answer to Swampert, as it can wear it down with Will-O-Wisp, heal off damage, and prevent it from setting up / phazing with Taunt.
  • Spikes can be used to wear it down, allowing mons such as Mienshao and Sharpedo to KO it easier.

Last edited:
What exactly is the 4 EVs in Speed for in the Choice Band? You don't specify what it's for.

mainly so that it doesn't have to risk a speed tie with other perts and donphan. really the 4 evs can be put into any other stat, as it doesn't really make much of a difference.

I've really wanted to use swampy in XY UU, he's been a staple of my UU team last gen and it's really nice to see him here.
Anyway, to begin with, shouldn't avalanche be somewhere in there? It's not going to outspeed a thing, so this can really come in handy IMO.

I've really wanted to use swampy in XY UU, he's been a staple of my UU team last gen and it's really nice to see him here.
Anyway, to begin with, shouldn't avalanche be somewhere in there? It's not going to outspeed a thing, so this can really hurt grass switch-ins.
Also, I've heard it can learn power-up-punch. Is it viable on swampy?
Power-Up-Punch probably wouldn't be viable because of Swampert's lack of recovery, however I also agree that Avalanche should be added.

Keep in mind that one of the most prominent "bulky waters" in UU is Slowbro, and Toxicroak won't be staying on a Slowbro.

yeah, PuP is really a bad move on pert tbh. I might consider Avalanche, but idk because of the fact that it doesn't get the boost on switches. I'll have to think about it.

Power-Up-Punch probably wouldn't be viable because of Swampert's lack of recovery, however I also agree that Avalanche should be added.
Fixed. Also, is counter viable? No, right? I've seen it before on a friend's team, and it really caught me off guard...

Might be viable, but kind of gimmicky.
Well, if Magic coat is viable, counter is just as viable IMO .-.
So this is what I've had in mind.

Swampert @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Counter
- Avalanche/stone edge

Bulky on both sides and can give back neutral hits from fellow physical tanks through counter, with Waterfall/EQ for a powerful STAB. Acess to edgequake combo gives nice coverage, and avalanche can come in handy because of it's low speed. Pardon my noobly and useless contributions to this thread, as this seems rather gimmicky, even to me.

Last edited:
Assault Vest Swampert is already in OO. I doubt it'll be viable enough to get an actual set, you hardly ever see it. Well, at least, I haven't.

Well, if Magic coat is viable, counter is just as viable IMO .-.
So this is what I've had in mind.

Swampert @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall/Earthquake
- Counter
- Roar/Toxic

Bulky on both sides and can give back neutral hits from fellow physical tanks through counter, with Waterfall/EQ for a powerful STAB. Pardon my noobly and useless contributions to this thread, as this seems rather gimmicky, even to me.
Nice Roar, Toxic and Rocks on an AV set. Anyway Counter is really gimmicky as most people will hit Pert with Grass type attacks anyway, which are mostly special. The lack of recovery also means it can only counter 1/2 times before dying, lack of sturdy also means it cannot gurantee 1 counter.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
vroony , you can't run status category moves on an Assault Vest Pokemon, so that takes out Rocks, Roar, and Toxic. If anything, it would look similar to the Choice Band set, having Mirror Coat possibly over Stone Edge in the last slot to take advantage of the extra bulk. A set that does seem intriguing (if only for OO) is more of an offensive Rocks setter to separate it from Hippowdon:

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch​

So, more of a tank set capable of setting up Rocks and dishing out some solid damage. Waterfall and EQ are solid for STAB moves. Ice Punch is best in the last slot to nail incoming Grass-types who think they can get off scott free. EVs round down passive damage while maximizing overall bulk and power. Remaining 8 EVs into Speed to creep other Swamperts, Donphan, and Magnezone.

Nice Roar, Toxic and Rocks on an AV set. Anyway Counter is really gimmicky as most people will hit Pert with Grass type attacks anyway, which are mostly special. The lack of recovery also means it can only counter 1/2 times before dying, lack of sturdy also means it cannot gurantee 1 counter.
Oh, fuck lol
Alright, edited

vroony , you can't run status category moves on an Assault Vest Pokemon, so that takes out Rocks, Roar, and Toxic. If anything, it would look similar to the Choice Band set, having Mirror Coat possibly over Stone Edge in the last slot to take advantage of the extra bulk. A set that does seem intriguing (if only for OO) is more of an offensive Rocks setter to separate it from Hippowdon:

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch​

So, more of a tank set capable of setting up Rocks and dishing out some solid damage. Waterfall and EQ are solid for STAB moves. Ice Punch is best in the last slot to nail incoming Grass-types who think they can get off scott free. EVs round down passive damage while maximizing overall bulk and power. Remaining 8 EVs into Speed to creep other Swamperts, Donphan, and Magnezone.
Yeah, I realised, sorry, my bad.
Cleaned it up. How does that look?

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I'm not sure of the logic, but is it because it'll do lesser damage bc AV? Therefore, wouldn't counter be better for a reflective move?
swampys sdef isn't that great without AV so its more likely to just die than succeasfully reflect a strong enough attack. I'm not saying AV coat pert is the next best thing but it seems better than ledties coat tbh.

swampys sdef isn't that great without AV so its more likely to just die than succeasfully reflect a strong enough attack. I'm not saying AV coat pert is the next best thing but it seems better than ledties coat tbh.
100/90/90 defenses are good, aren't they?
Put some EVs in both, more in defense, and then give it AV to boost spDef and utilise your EVs well. I mean, that's what I think.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a recommended alternate spread of 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Speed on CB Swampert. The EVs allow you to outrun Florges, which can be useful because you pretty much OHKO it without having to worry about it setting up a Wish or getting off an Aromatherapy or Moonblasting your face in. Figured it was relevant since last gen, CB Swampert ran enough EVs to creep Umbreon so it could kill with Superpower. You also outrun other defensive stuff like Metagross, Chesnaught (fast Ice Punch to the noggin I guess?), Porygon2, Empoleon, and most opposing Swampert who aren't running these EVs. You sacrifice a bit of bulk but you can get kills on a few more defensive threats without having to worry about eating a hit beforehand.

I'm also confused at how the 96 Speed on Swampert on the defensive set allows it to beat Honchkrow...He may have base 71 Speed, but Honchkrow usually invests in Speed itself, so it still outruns you. And no one seriously uses Max HP Honchkrow do they? I'd probably just put max HP/Def Relaxed/Impish depending whether you opt to run SCLAD or not. Speaking of the defensive set, Protect can also be a useful option if you don't want to run Toxic or Roar. It's useful for scouting, getting an extra turn of recovery from Leftovers, and most importantly, pissing off Mienshao users. :]

edit: Mirror Coat on AV Swampert ya bish. Go all the way if you're gonna go huge. If people have seriously used it on Alomomola I don't get why not on Swampert, with an AV

I have a recommended alternate spread of 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Speed on CB Swampert. The EVs allow you to outrun Florges, which can be useful because you pretty much OHKO it without having to worry about it setting up a Wish or getting off an Aromatherapy or Moonblasting your face in. Figured it was relevant since last gen, CB Swampert ran enough EVs to creep Umbreon so it could kill with Superpower. You also outrun other defensive stuff like Metagross, Chesnaught (fast Ice Punch to the noggin I guess?), Porygon2, Empoleon, and most opposing Swampert who aren't running these EVs. You sacrifice a bit of bulk but you can get kills on a few more defensive threats without having to worry about eating a hit beforehand.

I'm also confused at how the 96 Speed on Swampert on the defensive set allows it to beat Honchkrow...He may have base 71 Speed, but Honchkrow usually invests in Speed itself, so it still outruns you. And no one seriously uses Max HP Honchkrow do they? I'd probably just put max HP/Def Relaxed/Impish depending whether you opt to run SCLAD or not. Speaking of the defensive set, Protect can also be a useful option if you don't want to run Toxic or Roar. It's useful for scouting, getting an extra turn of recovery from Leftovers, and most importantly, pissing off Mienshao users. :]

edit: Mirror Coat on AV Swampert ya bish. Go all the way if you're gonna go huge. If people have seriously used it on Alomomola I don't get why not on Swampert, with an AV
k-koko told me to ;-;

yeah the speed is irrelevant as i've come to notice. i'll remove the speed and add in the alternate spread in a bit, ill need to playtest av coat before i decide on it.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
100/90/90 defenses are good, aren't they?
Put some EVs in both, more in defense, and then give it AV to boost spDef and utilise your EVs well. I mean, that's what I think.
While the defenses are nice, I never have liked using an AV Pokemon without heavy investment in Attack (or Special Attack, depending on the mon in question) For Swampert, I would think this type of EV spread / set would bring more consistent success (though I still think it's only OO worthy, like my offensive rocks setter)

Swampert @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Atk / 44 SDef
Nature: Adamant / Brave
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Scald / Mirror Coat​

Basically, it looks similar to the Choice Band set. Waterfall and EQ are go-to STAB options to deal out solid damage. Ice Punch is there to fuck with Grass-types who want a free switch-in. Stone Edge is a stronger hit on stuff like Crobat, but can be sort of redundant with Ice Punch. For this reason, you can use Scald to feign a defensive set early to possibly get some burns racked up. If neither of these appeal to you, then Mirror Coat is nice to exploit Assault Vest on special attackers like Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Kyurem, and Chandelure expecting to KO Swampert from a certain range. EV spread rounds down passive damage and hits the final boost point for nature. Rest of the EVs go to Special Defense to take a bit more advantage of Assault Vest. Use Adamant with Stone Edge or Mirror Coat and use Brave with Scald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)