XY UU Research Week #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry this is a bit delayed guys. Calling in your ladder screenshots if you haven't done so already!

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
for what it's worth here's what I got to at the end of the week, just in case it's scored on that and not on the peak. If it is on the peak, feel free to completely disregard this, because the peak was much higher.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Unsatisfactory rank, I kinda gave up after seeing Kitten Milk and Meru's scores, lol. I mean to be fair this week wasn't really much of an inventive week in terms of branching out (for me), I basically just took standard sash suicide lead Azelf and went to town with an HO team. If the ladder didn't crash during the times I was trying to ladder on this alt the past few days maybe my score'd be higher, but it's all good lol. My biggest regret is not at least going with CB Azelf or Dual Screens like I was thinking.

Far as discussion goes, I'm not going to rehash what I said about suicide lead/dual screens Azelf in the discussion thread, but I will say that just as Kitten Milk was able to prove by his score and replays, that Azelf is one of the most versatile offensive Pokemon in the UU metagame. It may not be a Mew in the movepool department, but the fact you truly never know what it's going to throw at you--on top of the fact it has incredible base 115 Speed, this really gives it an edge. Nasty Plot, Choice Band, All-out attacker with Life Orb, Stealth Rock + 3 attacks (was a pretty good set in Gen V I will mention), suicide lead, dual screens, I honestly feel Azelf has almost all of what it needs to succeed in between its movepool and stats. Just wish it was a little bulkier, but needless to say it gets the job done.

Edit: I'm an idiot and thought I had a replay of myself against Kitten Milk on his alt. Apparently it was against Bouffalant on his alt:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-113592100

in the battle, both sides used Azelf, though neither one's Azelf really got much accomplished. If anything though, mine at least managed to beat his by forcing him to go for a kill rather than set up rocks, and it functioned as some decent fodder since no one else on the team wanted to really take a Knock Off and give Azelf a free turn? I dunno. But that's the only replay I saved on that alt for some wack reason, lol. All the other replays pretty much amounted to Azelf getting at least SR up, unless the opponent was leading with Ambipom (in which case I made sure to never lead with it if I saw it in Team Preview) or Absol (I explode on turn 1 against Absol leads. At least makes the game an easy 5-5, rocks or not).

Last edited:
The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.

Bop the rank has been achieved

There I am higher than Meruuu and PK, no one cares about the peak, it is about who is at the top when push comes to shove ahhhh :]]]]]

Ok, onto final thoughts, if you're thinking of building a Hyper Offense Team without including Azelf, scrap the team and start over again :] Azelf is seriously the best mon to use on serious HO builds due to it's sheer ability to put the team into a scenario where it has 1. Gotten up Rocks 2. Knocked Somethings item off/killed it 3. Done 60+ % to Mega Blastoise with Explosion 4. Spin Blocked simultaneously 5. Prevented Rocks/Web/whatever with Taunt. Knock off in my opinion is a HUGE reason as to the improved success of Azelf as a HO lead. Before then it very much struggled with bulky Psychics (namely Mew), as it could never really dent it beyond a stray LO Fire Blast but now with Knock off, the psychic types (and any mon with an item for that matter) are no longer safe.

Here are a bunch of replays vs good playahs using the team I had, as you can see, Azelf was almost always the lead and almost all the time, he achieved his job and basically lead from the front towards my ultimate victory :]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-8131 vs Laga, Azelf got up rocks, prevented rocks from Aggron and paved the way for CB victini to cause havoc.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-8120 vs CasedVictory, i was shit talked, challenged and Zelf pulled thru :]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-113743243 vs Kushalos my fren :] Rocks down, Aero up, nice cleen sweep badda bing bang bop

So yeah, Azelf is fantastic, these are the types of RW's I like, ones where an opportunity for good mons that play a roll in an underrated playstyle get to shine as opposed to the more standard Balance/Stall Archetypes and hopefully this proves that even scrubs like me can make it high on the ladder if i play enough games :]]]]

Edit: Just played a game there where Azelf absolutely won me the game without a shadow of a doubt, he 1. Counter lead the Smeargle 2. Got up rocks 3. Killed a mon with KNOCK OFF 4. Got off huge damage on Blastoise 5. Spinblocked simultaneously.

Replay

Last edited:

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Lol I actually thought it was about the peak so I just used my alt for testing once I got a high enough peak. Which way is it actually? Because

The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.
can be interpreted as peak or rank

Last edited:
Lol I actually thought it was about the peak so I just used my alt for testing once I got a high enough peak. Which way is it actually? Because

can be interpreted as peak or rank

it's the highest ranking, not peak :o

no because mazz is dead (again)

i'm pretty sure you can't just update your screenshot also >_> not that it will be hard for lochie to get back up

KM

slayification
no because mazz is dead (again)

i'm pretty sure you can't just update your screenshot also >_> not that it will be hard for lochie to get back up
if it really ended when it was supposed to, CoL's post wouldn't have even made it in time. given that the deadline is up in the air, and the score is based on that at the end of the "week", I think it's perfectly reasonable to keep updating lol.

if it really ended when it was supposed to, CoL's post wouldn't have even made it in time. given that the deadline is up in the air, and the score is based on that at the end of the "week", I think it's perfectly reasonable to keep updating lol.
lol, it's fine. it's just that i feel like a moron for not laddering more after i submitted my screenshots @_@

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
You feel like a moron? I tanked my rating from #1 to 1500 because I thought I already won this shit smh @_@

KM

slayification

this is getting rather silly. can we just call it a tie or something and just not worry about it till mazz un-dies :o

Not dead, just working.

And yeah, sorry about not closing this sooner. It's amazing how disinterested I am in Pokemon right now. Simply because I don't actually give a fuck (none of your are close to earning a CC Badge anyways) I'm giving all three of you a leaderboard point. Next week will be up shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)