XY UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Trevenant for B.

I've used it a fair bit (not as much recently, but its main niche hasn't really changed), and the biggest problem with it is that it doesn't really contribute anything concrete to the team. It can spread around some status, but mostly its job is literally to annoy the fuck out of the opponent and wear them down, which makes it a pretty cool pokemon. It's a -decent- spinblocker. There also may be some merit to offensive sets now that Blissey is in the tier (maybe SD Lum? makes it essentially free set-up). Trevenant obviously suffers defensively from its mediocre stats and rather shitty defensive typing, but it has a really cool niche in the tier and is probably the best SubSeeder outside of Shaymin. It fits B rank perfectly imo.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Trevenant is moving down to C+ rank, while Tentacruel is moving down to B- rank.

The next two Pokemon up for discussion are Mega Abomasnow and Aerodactyl. Please keep in mind that this is not Mega Aerodactyl, but the regular form. The main usage of this would be as a lead.

I've used Mega Abomasnow for awhile, and I can say it's not very good. It's slow, weak to Stealth Rock, and takes up your Mega slot. You can't even put Blizzard on Mega Snow's teammates anymore because Hail is so limited. It's powerful, though, and can threaten both Grass- and Water-types with its STAB moves. Probably C+ / B-, definitely not B lol.

Aerodactyl is a cool lead, but faces competition from Azelf who has a powerful Explosion. Aerodactyl's main benefit is its high Speed, which means it's not outsped by Pokemon such as Noivern. Stone Edge also threatens certain Defog users too. It's not really all that big of a niche though, so C / C+ seems fine for it.

By the way, Limitless, do you think you could give maybe like a 1-2 line post about why you put a Pokemon in a certain ranking if it completely disagrees with what everyone else has been saying? Like, the only person to comment on Trevenant was Kitten Milk, who said B, but then you decided to put it in C+. I've noticed you do this a lot, too. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what you're saying, I'm just saying that a short post as to why you disagree with everyone else would be nice. :]

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I've also seen people use Regular Aerodactyl on Stall for NP Ape and CM Chandelure. Mega Aggron was already being used on the team, so Aerodactyl had its place. Probably somewhere in C+ would be fine as its still incredibly niche

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gonna quickly nominate Gourgeist Small for C+ rank since it's definitely viable and more so than a couple of the others with [official] ranks. Being able to outspeed Lucario and burn it before getting smacked with a Crunch while being able to scout a bit more effectively than its XL counterpart at least allows it to become more of an annoyance against 'mons like Suicune, Alomomola, and Blissey (things XL can't outspeed). Although it loses quite a bit of bulk for the increase in speed, I feel that overall it performs much better than its extra large counterpart (that's sitting in C- rank), especially due to its much improved speed tier, and I feel that it fits right in the rank that Trevenant is in.

I've used Double Edge lead Aero, as a suicide lead with some way to block spins/defog. The issue is you can't use unnerve, but that's meh considering you don't really carry fireblast when you run double edge anyways.

Tiering Mega's differently doesn't seem right to me, since its more of a moveset than a different mon. But I'd place Aero as probably a B rank for sure, though B- sounds more fitting.

Likewise, Mega Abomasnow has merits as a decent bulky attacker, and a quite niche ability to abuse Trickroom very well bringing some solid resistances (albeit many weaknesses). Somewhere between B- and B. This mainly from my experience using Hailroom on the ladder a fair bit.

I've used Double Edge lead Aero, as a suicide lead with some way to block spins/defog. The issue is you can't use unnerve, but that's meh considering you don't really carry fireblast when you run double edge anyways.

Tiering Mega's differently doesn't seem right to me, since its more of a moveset than a different mon. But I'd place Aero as probably a B rank for sure, though B- sounds more fitting.
The added stats helps to differentiate him more, allowing you to tailor his speed a bit more to your liking, as well as the slightly added fire power and additional natural bulk. Those differences give it an edge over the normal version, since it is more or less an upgrade in several areas.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aerodactyl is moving down to C+ rank, while Mega Abomasnow is moving down to B- rank.

The next two Pokemon up for discussion are Blastoise and Amoonguss. Just to clarify, this is the regular Blastoise, not Mega.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Blastoise should be C- rank at best imo. As a spinner, it's truly outperformed by the likes of its own Mega form as well as by Forretress and Donphan to name a couple, due to the fact that they have superior defenses as well as other advantages that outweigh those of regular Blastoise's. Its only niche at this point in the metagame is the fact that it doesn't occupy the mega spot (and it can use other items blabla), but about 99% of the time, you're better off using either the mega form or just simply using a better spinner. (Tentacruel is a decent water type spinner replacement if you seriously need it lol)

Other than to keep the mega slot, is there any reason to use Blastoise over his Mega? His transfer moves is full of physical attacks and meh special and all of his stats are either the same or better. And it's not like Rain Dish is worth much.

Blastoise should be C- rank at best imo. As a spinner, it's truly outperformed by the likes of its own Mega form as well as by Forretress and Donphan to name a couple, due to the fact that they have superior defenses as well as other advantages that outweigh those of regular Blastoise's. Its only niche at this point in the metagame is the fact that it doesn't occupy the mega spot (and it can use other items blabla), but about 99% of the time, you're better off using either the mega form or just simply using a better spinner. (Tentacruel is a decent water type spinner replacement if you seriously need it lol)
I think the only thing it has over other UU spinners is phazing. If you want a phazing spinner that doesn't take up your mega slot, Blastoise is for you. That's a pretty tiny niche though. I'm thinking D.

Blastoise (B) -> D | I'll be blunt, Blastoise is crap in UU. It's severely lacking in power, durability and utility compared to other Spinners: Mega Blastoise can hit pretty damn hard and has some great coverage; Donphan can actually hit things pretty hard with Earthquake, annoy with Knock Off and has Ice Shard as priority, albeit weak priority at that. Forretress is a great utility Pokémon as it can not only spin, but set up its own hazards as well and spread status with Thunder Wave. All regular Blastoise has is phazing spinning, but Mega Blastoise is pretty much always worth the Mega slot. All in all, Blastoise is just outclassed and bad. Throw it to D.

Blastoise should definitely drop, but lets not forget that it does have access to dark pulse still to hit spinblockerz. C+ sounds prettu fair, but D is pretty harsh imo

Blastoise should definitely drop, but lets not forget that it does have access to dark pulse still to hit spinblockerz. C+ sounds prettu fair, but D is pretty harsh imo
C+ is an overstatement, as Mega Blastoise has Mega Launcher-boosted Dark Pulse coming from a shitload more Special Attack. Donphan can Knock Off, too. Blastoise literally has nothing to set itself apart with.

Blastoise does 23-26% to Sableye with Dark Pulse (and that's with 252+ spa which I'm pretty sure non-mega blastoise is not running), that's not exactly "hitting spinblockerz."

252+ SpA Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 139-165 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery should be the attack you use to hit the blocker named Sableye. Also, I'm not sure why you're running Dark Pulse on nom-Mega Blastoise, unless hitting Starmie is THAT important... Starmie is the only mon in B+ and above that is hit harder by Dark Pulse than Hydro Pump or Aura Sphere. It only really is useful w/ Mega Launcher.

Amoonguss is one of the best Bulky water-type (not named slowbro :/) switch ins in the game thanks to its typing and outright FANTASTIC ability. Spore's reliability essentially forces the opponent to play with one less mon and let's it cripple a check (and in combination with clear smog it becomes less setup bait).
However Amoonguss is pretty weak (does 35% max with sludge bomb to standard florges for example) and with stuff like SubCM Chandelure and Fire types in general roaming around being a Grass-type is not a partcularly good thing.
However, I feel like its combination of typing, ability, and unique moves like Foul Play and Clear Smog make it at least B/B+ worthy.

Last edited:
252+ SpA Blastoise Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 139-165 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery should be the attack you use to hit the blocker named Sableye. Also, I'm not sure why you're running Dark Pulse on nom-Mega Blastoise, unless hitting Starmie is THAT important... Starmie is the only mon in B+ and above that is hit harder by Dark Pulse than Hydro Pump or Aura Sphere. It only really is useful w/ Mega Launcher.
Nobody runs max SAtk on regular Blastoise, nor does anyone run Hydro Pump on it. Good point, but Scald should always be used on Mega Blastoise with a Calm or Bold nature.
Might I add, Blastoise is also severely outclassed as a Bulky Water by Mega Blastoise, Suicune, Alomomola and Slowbro.

Nobody runs max SAtk on regular Blastoise, nor does anyone run Hydro Pump on it. Good point, but Scald should always be used on Mega Blastoise with a Calm or Bold nature.
Might I add, Blastoise is also severely outclassed as a Bulky Water by Mega Blastoise, Suicune, Alomomola and Slowbro.
I feel like the Pokemon regular Blastoise should be mostly compared with is Tentacruel because their niche is to use Rapid Spin and as Tentacruel's typing gives it more opportunities to do so (auto Tspikes removal, additional fairy and fighting resistance, grass neutrality, better speed) I feel like Blastoise should be lower than it.

Amoonguss for B+.

Amoonguss has access to a variety of moves, most significantly Spore, which effectively renders a Pokemon useless for a few turns. This is aided by the fact that the grass types that are immune to Spore can't do much back to Amoonguss due to its typing, and are hit hard with a STAB Sludge Bomb. In addition, Amoonguss has access to moves like Giga Drain for extra recovery, Grass Knot for more power, Stun Spore to further cripple offensive teams after a Pokemon has been put to sleep, and Clear Smog to help with certain setup sweepers such as Calm Mind Suicune and Slowbro. It also has Foul Play which is a huge gift, letting it nail Pokemon like Haxorus trying to set up on it, and making Pokemon like Victini and Darmanitan shaky switchins even after a Pokemon has been put to sleep. It can also run Hidden Power Fire to better deal with steel types like Forretress and Lucario.

It's also got arguably the best defensive ability in the game, letting it heal a third of its health by just switching out. It's also got a nice defensive typing. Poison typing provides a solid resistance to Fairy and Fighting, and it's immune to two extremely crippling statuses (and doesn't really give too much of a damn about other ones). The Grass typing gives it an edge over other Poisons by letting it easily switch into Scald. This in addition to its 114/70/80 bulk let it hold its own (depending on Amoonguss's spread) against threats such as Lucario, Mienshao, Virizion, Sharpedo, Suicune, Krookodile, Mega Blastoise, Shaymin, Roserade, and many others. It can also switch into defensive Pokemon like the defensive Fairies and Ground types.

While no Pokemon really likes to switch in on Amoonguss, it's rather easy to click V-Create, Brave Bird, etc when you do get a Pokemon into it safely. It's also setup bait for certain pokemon like Sub CM Chandelure (or really any Pokemon with sub). However, this can be remedied fairly easily with teammates. Overall, Amoonguss brings extremely solid defensive capabilities to a team while having advantages over other defensive Grass types and Poison types. So B+ is a nice ranking for it.

I feel that Amoonguss deserves B+ at minimum. It's typing and bulk are great, and having Regenerator and Spore make it amazing. It pretty much can't be set up on because of Spore, Clear Smog, and Foul Play, so it can punish most things that set up. Its not the best thing ever, but it's really great at what it does.

Also regular Blastoise is ass, entirely inferior to Mega Blastoise, Tentacruel, and Starmie.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
regular blastoise is probably the most reliable spin blocker as it has access to foresight to spin on sableye. theres no reason to run foresight on megablastoise. If they're running multiple ghosts [only frosslass/sableye are threats] on the team, then all you need is stealth rock support to just wittle them [frosslass] down.

there's also the roar + spin aspect that users have mentioned as well.

I think its fine sitting at B.

regular blastoise is probably the most reliable spin blocker as it has access to foresight to spin on sableye. theres no reason to run foresight on megablastoise. If they're running multiple ghosts [only frosslass/sableye are threats] on the team, then all you need is stealth rock support to just wittle them [frosslass] down.

there's also the roar + spin aspect that users have mentioned as well.

I think its fine sitting at B.
Even though it has Foresight, I don't think you can really call it the most reliable spinner. This is mainly because Blastoise is really easy to wear down throughout the match, and doesn't really have to power of Mega Blastoise to make up for it. I guess Foresight will let it beat Sabeleye, like, once or twice, but it kinda needs Wish support if it's going to want to Spin anymore against offensive teams which put a lot of offensive pressure on the opponent.

I really just don't see any real reason why I'd run this thing on a team, lol. C / C- seems fine.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Theres not a pressing need to spin away just rocks, if they're spike stacking then you can spin better than any other mon in the game. the idea is rapid spin = steath rock and foresight = spikes. if theyre taking mutiple turns to set up hazards you're also using multiple turns to eliminate them. if youre taking two turns to spin away just rocks, you should probably use defog on your team.

Theres not a pressing need to spin away just rocks, if they're spike stacking then you can spin better than any other mon in the game. the idea is rapid spin = steath rock and foresight = spikes. if theyre taking mutiple turns to set up hazards you're also using multiple turns to eliminate them. if youre taking two turns to spin away just rocks, you should probably use defog on your team.
Mmk I feel. I still don't think that niche is worthy of B though lol, especially considering how meh of a mon Blastoise is stat-wise. (Also no recovery ;_;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)