1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

YAAAARGH - Has this guy seriously not learned his lesson?

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by Bologo, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phuquoph

Phuquoph
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Definitely. It appears he hasn't changed at all, and I doubt he ever will.
  2. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

3. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I think this guy _must_ have a few problems in real life as well. You just don't go insulting everyone like that without having problems of your own in your own life.

However, when you have that character, you can't contribute anything. It's like a teacher that insults his students every 5 seconds. Would the subject he's teaching get across? No. You can't insult everyone and then pretend that people pay attention to what you say in your articles!
  4. Phuquoph

Phuquoph
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Too bad.

As I see it, his options are:
    1. Shut up and accept his punishment.
    2. Leave.
    3. Continue acting in the same way and get banned.
  5. ryubahamut

ryubahamut
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

for the record, was he really disrespecting Tangerine or just linking to posts as he says?
  6. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I know for sure that he's disrespected Tangerine in many situations, even trying to troll him at one point, so it doesn't seem to be out of the question.
  7. Phuquoph

Phuquoph

That's his current sig (which no longer appears after his latest infraction).
  8. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I screengrabbed his signature just in case he would edit it and deny.

[​IMG]

It clearly is not "merely linking", it's being an ass about it. As I told him over PM, that is not the way to go if you have a disagreement with staff members.
  9. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club

Just for the record, I got a quick reply.

I guess he's gonna be taking option no.1 Phuquoph. I was kinda expecting him to throw a hissy fit and storm off so this is a pleasant surprise.
  10. Great Sage

Great Sage

For the record, chaos removed the restriction where ICBB users can't edit their posts.

And don't believe Chris is me's "oh i can't contribute now" sob story. He's done 3 peer edits where he didn't even make an effort to write anything, another peer edit which was locked, and a pathetic phazing "guide".
  11. Jibaku

Jibaku Balance is a fool's master
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I'm not too surprised here actually. Chris is me is the kind of guy that wants to contribute, and even if he's unable to do a real one, he's just gonna keep trying, like a certain someone I know (blinkblink). Either that or the fact that Lee's post is actually pretty convincing.
  12. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

bumping this thread because i find his most recent point ridiculous

http://christalkspokemon.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/secret-requirement/

While yes, having criticism is nice for the suspect test to not stray from the purpose, but do we really want to let him say ignorant bullshit

like that?

To be honest he's more of a pain in the ass for the entire suspect testing process and the entire stark forum as a whole. All he seems to do nowadays in stark is to make himself sound like the voice of reason on the most trivial aspects on a sad attempt to gain himself credibility and try to create controversy just because "he didn't understand it", and attempt to get the entire community get up on a riot?

I'm honestly sick and tired of him. I dont mind arrogance as long as it's well backed up but to be honest users like Chris have zero credibility nowadays.

He is a terrible influence within Stark Mountain, and I think we should consider removing his access to Stark Mountain as a whole until he learns. Although this might just give him justification with "OH MY GOD IVE BEEN MARTYR'D" bullshit anyway at this point. All I know is - Stark would be much better off even if he wasn't there to "correct" people and tell people off partly because all he does is parrot shit he heard off other users and repeat it anyway.

He hasn't changed at all - well, the only thing that he has changed is that he has become a much better line skater. His core hasn't changed at all and I think this is reason enough to remove his posting rights or something.

Why do we tolerate his shit? to be honest he deserves to be permabanned but that's probably me overreacting soooooo
  13. TAY

TAY You and I Know
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ugh I hate saying this because he clearly cares about the game but I agree with tangerine. He turns every thread into a surrogate for his argument against PR policies with irrelevant posts like:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1796638#post1796638

This thread was created 10 months ago and he still doesn't "get it". It is also clear that infractions don't faze him at all, as he has over three pages of them. I would support removing his access to the main Stark Mountain forum (but still allow him to post in subforums) for a period of time.
  14. Blue Kirby

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I'm surprised that he still hasn't learned - how can anyone truly be that thick-headed? At this point, he has already been banned (with the final infraction being for this exact same kind of behavior), so I would actually have no objection to removing him outright. At the very least, however, removing his negative influence on Stark Mountain seems like a reasonable idea to me.
  15. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Can't we just take criticism on our stride and not make a big fuss about it?
  16. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It's not really just about criticism but attempts to stir up civil unrest, I guess, which don't have to be accepted at all. I think in this case more drastic measures than infractions are warranted as a short-term measure; I disagree with your assumptions about him
  17. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

If he's doing so much infract-worthy shit, then obviously infract him. If he does it too often, he gets banned, and then all he has is his little blog and IRC.

I'm against removing him from Stark like this, since it's not the way we deal with lineskaters or people who do anything wrong. You would be better off PMing him or talking to him on IRC (preferably saving the insults since they're not going to do anything). In the absence of our great Smogon attorney I guess Jumpman would likely be the best.
  18. Doomsday

Doomsday
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Ok i can't really talk about Stark but can we honestly ban him from #smogon? Everytime a line starting with <chrisisme> appears, it's cringeworthy. We banned pookar when he was being an ignorant pice of shit. It's IRC, if we don't like someone we remove them - just my opinion though.
  19. Bologo

Bologo Have fun with birds and bees.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Damn, I never thought this thread would be bumped again...

Ok, I have a simple proposal for this. Rather than banning him from Stark Mountain, let's just say that next time he gets banned, it'll be his last (and the fact that this thread still exists means that it's very likely to happen again). He's already been banned what, 4 times? I know he wants to contribute, but honestly, there's got to be some sort of limit on how many times we're going to let him come back, act "less stupid" for 2 days or so, and then go back to exact way he was before he left!
  20. reachzero

reachzero the pastor of disaster
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

If anyone thinks it will help, I volunteer to talk to chrisisme one on one and warn him how close to the edge he is coming here, and how he needs to change to get along around here. I agree that the time of treating this as a "normal" situation has passed somewhat; I don't have anything against him personally and see him as misguided rather than a bad person, but he is actively attempting to subvert the decision making process here. His bad attitude toward authority has already poisoned the attitudes of a few users, and I would not like to see it spread. Again, I'm more than willing to talk to him if anything thinks it will help, but if he doesn't "see the light", I agree that he really needs to be removed, for the good of the community.
  21. Blue Kirby

Normally I wouldn't be so hasty, but having already tried to talk to him right before his last ban, I'm not really sure he'll ever see the light. Still, worth one last shot, I suppose.
  22. Caelum

Caelum qibz official stalker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This. I could easily find 10 posters that make stark "worse" than Chris. Chris is just more noticeable because his posts are just intelligent enough to become annoying whereas the other shitty users comments are far too stupid for any of us to remember them.

Firstly, Who gives a shit what he posts on his blog? It has nothing to do with Smogon, if it's not in the scope of Smogon - we can't ban him for that. If it's really that offensive, just have an admin remove it from his signature.

Secondly, who cares if he comments about policy made?

Honestly guys, if we can't handle his petty critiques - that's pretty sad.

If he does something infraction worthy - infract him. It's honestly that simple.

Does anyone honestly believe he has that much influence that he needs to be removed from stark? Maybe I'll agree when I start seeing legions of followers with signatures protesting Smogon, but this is seriously overreacting. Just because a user is annoying or perceived to be a bad influence on Stark doesn't mean they should be removed. If we aren't intelligent enough to justify our positions enough for the user base to realize his claims or statements are uncalled for, then we really need to step up our game don't we? If the user base realises those things about chris already, then he doesn't have a negative influence anyway.

To me, Chris's post are like a fly. A fly is annoying, but it's just a fly ...
  23. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club

We could try the silent treatment and just delete every single obnoxious post he makes in Stark until he gets the point and either shapes up or ships out.

I'd love to take the high road and ignore him like X-Act and Caelum are suggesting but when he's undermining the efforts of everybody involved with the suspect process and generally lowering the tone in Stark then it's our job as mods to do something about it.
  24. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Sure, it's easy to ignore chris is me on other matters (his normal forum posts are easy to ignore) but when he's criticizing the suspect test constantly and asking us to constantly justify it to him so "he gets it" (while the base framework is there to begin with). When he's criticizing the suspect test, and telling other users to start a riot, and "get upset", I don't think we can ignore that and that's precisely why I decided to bump this thread.
  25. Maniaclyrasist

Maniaclyrasist custom user title of doom!!!
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I don't see the point in ignoring him. He'd probably still post his garbage anyway. He's a pretty bad influence in Stark and apparently talking to him does no good. I say we just go about and infract him like we would any other user when they do something worthy of an infraction and if it gets to the point that he is banned again just perm-ban him.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)