Yanmega (Life Orb) [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrp

Banned deucer.
My other set didn't go too well because of the fact that while it could be useful, it lacked a way to break through walls, and it was problematic setting it up. This set I know for a fact is great to run, mainly on the fact that I put it on every single team I make, and I've seen phenominal success with it.

Yanmega@ Life Orb
4 HP/252 SpAtk/ 252 Speed
Modest
Speed Boost
[MOVESET]
~Bug Buzz
~Air Slash
~Hidden Power Ground
~Protect

[COMMENTS]
-This set works very simply. On switch-ins, send Yanmega in on a move it resists, such as Heatran's Earth Power, or a fighting attack. Use protect to ensure that you'll outspeed the opponent, and eliminate them with the appropriete move.
-Bug Buzz and Air Slash give great neutral coverage, and HP ground helps add to this.
-Can deal with Pokemon that normally would give it problems, Heatran is a major example, and is OHKO'd by HP Ground.
-Infernape is another example, he is outsped after a Protect, and KO'd by Air Slash
-Blissey walls this completely, since Yanmega can't dent it.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Does this moveset look familiar? It's LeadMega, with a life orb
- Air Slash is a nice move. 30% flinch is a nice little tool.

[TEAM OPTIONS]
- Starmie makes a nice Rapid Spin user, and it takes ice shards well
- Magnezone handles all Scizor that try to come in to Bullet Punch
-
[COUNTERS]
- Rotom forms can easilly take this out. Unless you decide to run HP Dark, but why would you do that? Shadow Ball can dent it though.
- Scizor is neutral to air slash, but it's risky to try. Better to switch in Yanmega's best team mate, Magnezone who can easilly set ablaze any Scizors who want to ruin the fun.
-Zapdos is Yanmega's downfall, even more so if Stealth Rock is up. Yanmega can't do a thing against it, it resists all of Yanmega's attacks.

Then for a second set with the Life Orb.
It seems too different then the other set to run them in slashes
[SET NAME]
Tinted Lens Life Orb
Yanmega @Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Timid/Modest
4 HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
Tinted lens
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-HP Ground/Shadow Ball/Psychic
-Roost/Shadow Ball/Psychic

I wrote this based on feedback I've gotten on the other set. Tinted Lens is easilly one of the most powerful abilities in the game, able to defy the concept of resisting attacks. With this ability, x2 resisted attacks do neutral damage. This basically gives perfect neutral coverage.
HP Ground is the prefered move here, but you can try the other moves listed for extra coverage. With Speed Boost gone, Protect is useless, leaving room for the helpful roost. Another option to make up for lost speed is to run a choice scarf here, allowing Yanmega to fill in as a revenge killer even moreso.

[COMMENTS]
- Perfect Coverage in OU. Need I say more?

[COUNTERS]
-the only things that can safely counter this are faster Pokemon with powerful moves. Infernape, Weavile, and Scizor are some examples.
-Special walls like Blissey do the job too.
I'll finish the formatting later, I just wanted to get the analysis written out.

My main issue with this set is that you die very, very fast. You have to run a rapid spinner in order to avoid being destroyed by Stealth Rocks. One of the best moves for you to switch into would be Infernapes CC. You take a minimum of 19.5. That means coming in on a four times resistated attack, you are taking a minimum of about 70% of your health. 3 turns to do something means at best you have 3 attacks and can not leave the field. You would need to center you team around this poke. What is really bad is that if Scizor comes out you die. You cannot go to Magnezone because on the return you die. Rotom is the best counter to this because you can never switch into any attack, because of rocks. One spin blocker and you are a midgame Smeargle due to you inability to switch into nearly any (Gengar is hitting you for 20 percent with focus blast, a nonSTAB four times resisted attack). Also Yanmega is serious walled by anything that is neutral to your moves. Skarmory is walling you all day. Gyarados can do the same thing. Bronzong can do a very similar thing (32-38.5 on Bug Buzz).

Yes there are benfits. If there are no stealths, it is very hard to stop Yanmega. If the opponet does not have a counter, it will not be stopped.

tl;dr versions- there are benefits, but I feel like all of the risks you run by using Yanmega out, some, or all of the benefits.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This set looks like loads of fun, however have you tried running Tinted Lens over Speed Boost? Sure, the lack of speed is a problem, but you can 2HKO most variants of Zapdos, and even the most Specially Defensive of Zapdos is 2HKO'd after Stealth Rock. This means Zapdos is no longer a safe switch, and they will know that when they see that Speed Boost never activated. Shadow Ball does incredible damage to Rotom, and is able to OHKO many offensive varieties after Stealth Rock. One thing you mentioned in passing was Stealth Rock, which is obviously a huge problem for Yanmega, so find a good Rapid Spinner.

jrp

Banned deucer.
@Ian: I generally carry some form of a spinner on my team to deal with that, or I generally prevent Stealth Rock from the beginning of the battle with my lead.
Gyarados is either 2HKO'd or 3HKO'd (depending on the set) by Air Slash, which compliments nicely with the flinch chance.

@Nix: Tinted Lens is a great option, but Yanmega loses a lot from the lack of speed. I generally use this to get rid of Scarf Heatran and Infernape, ect who think they can switch in, only to get outsped.

Shadow Ball is an option, I'm just not sure where to put it as a slash. Psychic too, but Air Slash and HP ground take care of anything weak to psychic, air slash for fighting, hp ground for Poison.

The main reason Yamega is not used is its 4x SR weakness. In fact, its one of only 3 non-UU 4x SR weak pokemon, the other being Ho-oH and Ninjask. Also, Tinted Lens is probably a good option; to prevent being walled by Skarm etc. and have great neutral coverage with your STABs.
And, if this is just LeadMega with LO, why not just mention LeadMega can work midgame with LO?

Edit: why run HP Ghost for Rotom when you can just Shadow Ball?

jrp

Banned deucer.
Forgot about Hp ghost.
And Ninjask is 4x weak to stealth rock, but it's OU.
All this set needs to be successful is a way to deal with SR.
Which is why, (in my case at least) I always run a taunt lead. I see SR on leads for the most part, so taking those out means that you're somewhat safe,

My lead is Ambipom for the record, it can outpeed most SR leads, and only Aerodactyl is the only lead guarenteed to get SR up.

If there is to be a Life Orb Yanmega set on site, I would really like to see Roost tested out.

Roost helps alleviate your Stealth Rock weakness, helps with your ability to force switches, and recovers LO recoil. It can also Stall out a turn in a pinch if you want to get a speed boost.

Tinted Lens should also be tested with Life Orb, if you really want to break through walls more easily. I also just noticed something. This is pretty much the same thing as the lead set btw, except you have a Life Orb > Focus Sash.

And Ninjask is 4x weak to stealth rock, but it's OU.
Yeah, but Ninjask sucks.

That point about Ambipom doesn't really show too much either since a lot of common leads will probably just go for the KO anyway predicting the taunt (Machamp, Heatran, Metagross, Azelf, etc)

In my opinion there is way too much residual damage issues. 4x weak to SR + Sandstorm + LO is not pretty. You'll have to build a team around its many problems, which is mainly poor typing and coverage. Sure, it's powerful, but the cons outweigh the pros

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have used this set wayyy too many times. It works well to some extent, however, overall it is walled by Rotom / Skarmory / Zapdos / Blissey too much. Scizor can easily come in and KO Yanmega, while offensive Gyarados are only 3HKOd. This means that a Gyarados can get a guaranteed Dragon Dance in against Yanmega. Don't get my wrong, I love Yanmega more than most people, but it's a little too difficult to work around.

Edit: KOing lead Machamp well over half the time should be mentioned.

This set is way too similar to the set already on-site, except you changed its EV spread slightly and put Life Orb in. Life Orb will probably get an AC mention at best.

jrp

Banned deucer.
The point of this set is to function as a special attacker, whilst leadmega is useful, but honestly not too viable with all of the leads that can get rid of it.

If anything, get rid of the onsite set. It doesn't stop hazards from setting up, and it honestly doesn't have much usefulness outside of suprise factor. Any of the common leads can easilly take Yanmega out, infernape being the ultimate example. He can just fire blast, then vacuume wave to get rid of yanmega.

Like I said, I've had a ton of success with this, I can give personal experience if you need.

Lead set isn't bad. No lead Infernapes carry Mach Punch so it doesn't really get rid of Yanmega. Infernapes carry Fake Out which is blocked by Protect. Either way, this might get on-site, but probably an AC mention that it can function with a LO, outside of the lead position.

EDIT: No, lead Infernapes carry Fake Out, Fire Blast, Close Combat and Stealth Rock. They don't carry Vacuum Wave or Mach Punch.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Lead set isn't bad. No lead Infernapes carry Mach Punch so it doesn't really get rid of Yanmega. Infernapes carry Fake Out which is blocked by Protect. Either way, this might get on-site, but probably an AC mention that it can function with a LO, outside of the lead position.
I ment vacuume wave, I always get the two mixed up.

specs yanmega is much better because it rips through anything.Life orb + 50% rocks damage and your already in the red 2 turns that you have been in. A bad gimmick in 4th gen.

jrp

Banned deucer.
specs yanmega is much better because it rips through anything.Life orb + 50% rocks damage and your already in the red 2 turns that you have been in. A bad gimmick in 4th gen.
and specs yanmega still has to switch out against some things.
And it has to switch a lot more then this does.
And I've said like 10 times, you need to have something to prevent or remove stealth rock for this to work well.
And even if you're at 50%, you can still rip opponents apart.

The thing is, the lead set onsite is intended for that position simply because it fairs well against some leads and also it is sent out before Stealth Rock hits the field. With the given evs, you take physical hits much harder from common threats(Scizor, Metagross, Gyarados) and at the same time you are putting pressure on your team to remove Stealth Rock if your opponent has placed them early on, and that in turn will not only make you do alot of mistakes just to get attempt to spin but also give your opponent opportunities to set-up at various times which is dangerous. I like this set but it is too simaliar to the onsite one, which in AC could have a sentence or two regarding it being used midgame and having Life Orb. Also yeah, there are other sweepers who are weak to SR, but they have better sweeping capabilities and better typing, not to mention Yanmega's movepool is too predictable.

I don't see why Life Orb can't just get slashed with Focus Sash. Even then, this set with Life Orb is already mentioned in AC and I think its fine that way.

The second set I like more, because i say based off personal experience that at times, I wished i wasn't locked into a move.

I can't see any reason why Tinted Lens with LO is anything but inferior to Choice Specs Tinted Lens :) Basically, you lose power except against 4x resists. You have the option of hitting things super effectively, but in general simply being able to spam that ridiculously powerful attack for almost guaranteed massive damage is much better. Especially with the issues with LO, Sandstorm, AND Stealth Rock damage if you can't keep it off the field.

On the other hand, LO Speed Boost is pretty decent, since it actually needs the SE coverage but lacks power sometimes. You're still going to die very quickly though.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I believe as well that the idea of having a Life Orb set is better off mentioned in a couple of lines in AC, just as it currently is onsite. In fact, I'll quote a sentence from the Attacking Lead's AC section:

Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock damage coupled with the inability to break through defensive Pokemon make Yanmega dead weight without perfect support.
This is the reason why LO Yanmega isn't onsite already, and I'm positive this mention is more than enough to determine that AC is the place where it should be.

As for the second set, it's pretty much the same case actually, and bear in mind that there's already a Choice Specs Tinted Leans Yanmega onsite, which basically does what your proposed set accomplishes but the one onsite happens to hit harder and doesn't take any damage back while it's attacking.

Sorry, I just don't see it viable.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

This was removed during my Yanmega update awhile ago, and the reasoning for it was that either it was too similar to the Lead set (ie. you used it in the lead spot) or it wasn't nearly as good as the SpecsMega set for busting through the defensive Pokemon that otherwise shut Yanmega up good. As I wrote (and Setsuna quoted), the thing just can't get in safely with enough reliability to actually serve its team well. Either keep it as a lead, keep it with Specs, or bust. I agree with these sets being rejected.

Yea, there aren't many benefits to LO over specs, as Setsuna said. Guess I missed that yesterday when i first looked at it.

QC REJECTED (3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)