UU Yanmega

QC Checks: Calloflochie, Meru, radianthero156
GP Checks: horyzhnz, fleurdyleurse

Overview
########

Yanmega is a Pokemon graced with two great abilities. The first, Tinted Lens, bypasses resistances and turns Yanmega into a powerful wallbreaker when equipped with Choice Specs. The second ability, Speed Boost, allows Yanmega to easily clean up late-game once it has accumulated a boost or two. To complement these abilities, Yanmega also has a nice base 116 Special Attack and a good base 95 Speed, meaning Yanmega can be quite efficient at performing these roles. However, Yanmega does have some notable flaws that prevent it from becoming as threatening as it could be. The first is its Bug / Flying typing, which comes with numerous weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Yanmega also has bad overall bulk, leaving it vulnerable to priority and limiting switch-in opportunities. However, Yanmega's biggest flaw is the amount of competition it faces for a teamslot. Other Choice Specs users such as Chandelure and Porygon-Z give it a ton of competition as a special wallbreaker, while Yanmega faces competition from Sharpedo as a Speed Boost cleaner.

Choice Specs
##########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Bug Buzz
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: U-turn / Sleep Talk
ability: Tinted Lens
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Modest / Timid

Moves
======

Bug Buzz is Yanmega's most powerful STAB attack, and with Tinted Lens making it basically unresisted, it is extremely hard to switch into. Air Slash is Yanmega's secondary STAB attack, which also hits extremely hard with Tinted Lens taken into account. As Yanmega's STAB moves are nearly unresisted, Giga Drain is chosen in the third slot to allow Yanmega to recover HP against Rock-, Water-, and Ground-types. While U-turn may seem unusual on a Choice Specs set, using it can help keep the momentum during a match. Sleep Talk can be used in the last moveslot to allow Yanmega to function as a sleep absorber if your team lacks one.

Set Details
=========

Maximum investment in Special Attack and Speed allows Yanmega to be as fast and powerful as possible. With a Modest nature, Yanmega can net some key 2HKOs, including a 2HKO against specially defensive Mega Aggron and a chance to 2HKO physically defensive Florges after Stealth Rock. However, a Timid nature can be helpful for outspeeding Pokemon such as Nidoking, Heracross, and Roserade. Choice Specs is the item of choice on this set, as it allows Yanmega to hit extremely hard in combination with Tinted Lens, which lets Yanmega bypass resistances from the opposing Pokemon, essentially allowing its moves to be nearly unresisted.

Usage Tips
=========

It's important to try to keep Stealth Rock off the field as much as possible in order to increase Yanmega's longevity. Bug Buzz will be the move it'll be using most of the time, as it's basically unresisted thanks to Tinted Lens. U-turn will be used a decent amount too, especially against more offensively-inclined teams to help gain momentum. Depending on what nature it's running, make sure you know what Yanmega can and can't outspeed. If Yanmega falls asleep while running Sleep Talk, be wary of the amount of possible sleep turns it has left, or else you may use Sleep Talk on the turn it wakes up.

Team Options
============

Rapid Spin or Defog support is close to necessary, as Yanmega loses 49% of its health to Stealth Rock. Good users of the move include Starmie, Mega Blastoise, Mew, Crobat, Donphan, Flygon, and Empoleon. Rhyperior, Mega Ampharos, and Rotom-H can take Fire-, Flying-, and Electric-type attacks for Yanmega with ease, with the latter also being able to take Ice-type attacks for Yanmega. Pokemon that deal with Blissey and Florges, such as Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Jirachi are all helpful partners, as Blissey and most variants of Florges have enough Special Defense to reliably wall Yanmega. Pokemon which can set up Spikes, such as Roserade and Froslass, help Yanmega wallbreak much easier. Generally, offensive Pokemon that dislike stall teams appreciate Yanmega's ability to wallbreak.

Speed Boost
#########
name: Speed Boost
move 3: Giga Drain / Ancient Power
move 4: Protect
ability: Speed Boost
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
======

Bug Buzz is Yanmega's main STAB attack, having the highest Base Power of any of its moves. Air Slash provides a secondary STAB move that hits the Fighting-types that resist Bug Buzz. Protect allows Yanmega to get a guaranteed Speed boost, something crucial for starting a sweep. Giga Drain beats bulky Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types such as Swampert, Hippowdon, and Rhyperior while also healing off Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. Ancient Power is an option, however, to hit the Flying- and Fire-types such as Chandelure and Noivern that resist Yanmega's main STAB move. It's also a great move to catch Fletchinder on the switch, a Pokemon that would otherwise deal with Yanmega quite easily.

Set Details
=========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed investment with a Modest nature makes Yanmega as powerful and as fast as possible, with emphasis on Special Attack due to Speed Boost already raising Yanmega's Speed to great levels. Life Orb gives Yanmega as much power as possible, while Speed Boost allows Yanmega to boost its Speed and clean late-game.

Usage Tips
=========

When using Yanmega, make sure it's because of its positives over Sharpedo; slightly better bulk, a Ground-type immunity, and a better way of dealing with Grass-types are a few of the advantages Yanmega has over Sharpedo. Try to use Yanmega late-game, when most of your opponent's team has been heavily weakened. Using Protect the first turn you send out Yanmega is important to give it an immediate Speed boost. Keeping Stealth Rock off the field is important to give Yanmega the highest chance of sweeping.

Team Options
===========

Once again, Rapid Spin or Defog support is support essential. Good users include Starmie, Mega Blastoise, Mew, Crobat, Donphan, Flygon, and Empoleon. Pokemon that can deal with Blissey and Florges, such as Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Jirachi are all helpful partners, as Blissey and Florges can easily stop Yanmega from sweeping. Wallbreakers are generally helpful, as Yanmega has trouble getting past a lot of walls without Tinted Lens. Notable wallbreakers include Choice Band Heracross, Honchcrow, Chandelure, Porygon-Z, Victini, Nidoking, and Mienshao. Toxic Spikes support from Nidoqueen and Tentacruel is helpful, as not only can Yanmega gain a Speed boost from a Protect, but also weaken a Pokemon into KO range. Rotom-H can cover Yanmega's Fire-, Electric-, Flying-, and Ice-type weaknesses, while Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos and Rhyperior can cover Yanmega's Fire-, Electric-, and Flying-type weaknesses. Hippowdon can also take Rock- and Electric-type attacks with ease. Pokemon which can set up Spikes, such as Roserade and Froslass, help Yanmega clean much easier. Essentially, any team looking for a late-game cleaner will appreciate Speed Boost Yanmega.

Other Options
=============

A set with Endure + Weakness Policy can actually be very effective, as it makes use of Yanmega's many weaknesses to give it a +2 boost, which in combination with Speed Boost, makes Yanmega both fast and powerful. It's not as consistent as Life Orb, however, making Life Orb the generally superior option. Hidden Power Ground hits Fire-types and Steel-types for super effective damage, though most Steel-types don't take very much damage from Hidden Power Ground due to its low Base Power. Psychic can be used on the Choice Specs set to hit Pokemon such as Nidoqueen, but it's usually better just spamming Bug Buzz. Finally, Shadow Ball can hit Chandelure super effectively, but has very little utility outside of that.

Checks & Counters:
================

**Stealth Rock**: Stealth Rock strips Yanmega of a large amount of its health each time it switches in, making it a very effective tool at wearing Yanmega down. Good users of Stealth Rock include Nidoqueen, Hippowdon, Azelf, and Mega Aggron.

**Florges and Blissey**: Both Florges and Blissey can use their massive special bulk to wall anything Yanmega throws at it. It's important to note, though, that Modest Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega has a chance to 2HKO physically defensive Florges after Stealth Rock.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as specially defensive Mega Aggron and Empoleon wall the Life Orb set with ease. They do not enjoy taking Modest Bug Buzzes from Tinted Lens variants, however.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Mega Aerodactyl and Crobat resist Bug Buzz and can retaliate with a super effective STAB move. The Speed Boost set can use Ancient Power, however, to deal good amounts of damage to them.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Chandelure, Entei, and Infernape resist Bug Buzz and can OHKO with their powerfu STAB attacks. Fletchinder gets a special mention for 4x resisting Bug Buzz and OHKOing back with Acrobatics. They do not like getting hit by Ancient Power, however.

**Faster Attackers** While nothing really enjoys switching in on the Choice Specs set, most fast attackers can easily revenge kill it. Examples include Victini, Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Mega Houndoom.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I need some opinions on this:

I'm seriously debating whether or not Speed Boost should get its own set. Yes, I know, Speed Boost is by far one of the best abilities in the game. It makes Yanmega extremely fast, and allows it to clean late game. At first, it seems as though there's no reason I shouldn't add it. However, one thing is seriously holding it back: the existence of Sharpedo. Sharpedo does the job of a late game cleaner SO much better than Yanmega imo... Here's why:

Sharpedo Pros:
  • Great dual STAB combination
  • Great mixed offensive stats, allowing it to run physically offensive, specially offensive, and mixed.
  • 120 Base attack (Higher than Yanmega's Special Attack)
  • Access to Destiny Bond / priority Aqua Jet
  • No 4x weakness to Stealth Rock
Yanmega's Pros:
  • More bulk
  • Ground-type immunity
Like literally, there are really only two things Yanmega has over Sharpedo. And lets not forgot Yanmega is still quite frail, even if it is bulkier than Sharpedo; 86/86/56 is still pretty bad bulk. Yanmega also has to rely on the nerfed Hidden Power to even have a chance of getting past most Steel-types.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm forgetting some information, so be sure to tell me if I am. I'll wait for QC for the final decision but I'd love to here all of your guy's thought on the matter. So... Is Speed Boost Yanmega deserving of a set?

So? just because Sharpedo is better as a Speed Booster doesn't mean Yanmega is bad at it. I'd say it's worth using.

So? just because Sharpedo is better as a Speed Booster doesn't mean Yanmega is bad at it. I'd say it's worth using.
But I mean why would you use it is what I'm trying to say. I mean, for example, DD Salamance in OU isn't necessarily bad. But it's hugely outclassed. I feel like that's kind of the same with Yanmega and Sharpedo, too. I do understand what you mean, though; Speed Boost Yanmega is far from bad. Just outclassed :(

I dunno, it seems different enough to me. They're walled by different things. I don't play a lot of UU, but doesn't Yanmega fare a lot better against grass types as a whole? And at the very least Bug Buzz penetrates subs. taking 50% from SR blows, but on a speed-boosting late-game cleaner, does that really matter much? Sharpedo's defenses rival Shedinja's.

but keep in mind that this is for Yanmega, not how it compares with other pokemon. I feel like Qwilfish outclasses Roserade as a spiker, but that doesn't mean that Roserade is unviable as one.

I dunno, it seems different enough to me. They're walled by different things. I don't play a lot of UU, but doesn't Yanmega fare a lot better against grass types as a whole? And at the very least Bug Buzz penetrates subs. taking 50% from SR blows, but on a speed-boosting late-game cleaner, does that really matter much? Sharpedo's defenses rival Shedinja's.
That's definitely true. Ok, I'll add it for now. If a QC member eventually feels it doesn't deserve a set then I'll remove it.

And yes Bouffalant I understand that, it's just that I don't want to be writing up a set that doesn't have any merit in the metagame.

Ok this is QC ready, still not totally convinced about Speed Boost Yanmega having enough benefits over Sharpedo to warrant a set but we'll see :)

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Weakness Policy definitely deserves a mention:

Weakness Policy
##########
name: Weakness Policy
move 4: Endure
item: Weakness Policy
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe

Weakness Policy definitely deserves a mention:

Weakness Policy
##########
name: Weakness Policy
move 4: Endure
item: Weakness Policy
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Already in OO.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You should slash Giga Drain in the Speed Boost set. It can nail swampert and other waters and grounds as well as recover a bit of HP from LO recoil

And sharpedo doesn't outclass yanmega.

You should slash Giga Drain in the Speed Boost set. It can nail swampert and other waters and grounds as well as recover a bit of HP from LO recoil

And sharpedo doesn't outclass yanmega.
It's in "Moves" for right now, since you lose out on valuable coverage by using this.

And w/e it's a set now so I'm guessing we're keeping it, still not sure that the very few pros Yanmega has over Sharpedo are enough to warrant an analysis... But they probably are.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well its special, can pass through sub with bug buzz, and air slash flinches more often.

Not outclassed, just different.

EDIT STAB bug buzz has more power than stab crunch and waterfall

Ok, so i'll go ahead and say some of the above changes should have been implemented.

-Mention in overview that with tinted lens, it makes Yanmega's moveset unresisted a huge + for using it as a specs user
-Slash Giga Drain in front of the Hidden Powers seeing as HP rock/ground only hit for 7.5 higher BP on 2x SE hits where as Giga Drain can OHKO rhyp and swamp and give it clean 2HKO'es on other bulky waters + negates some LO recoil which can increase Yanmega's Longevity
-Add Wallbreakers to team options for Speed Boost, it's all well and good to be checking mons etc but if you aren't breaking the shit that will wall Yanmega even in the late game, there's no real point in using it as the cleaner (this includes CB hera, tini, Shao, Honch, Nidoking, PZ)
-In C&C change format to look like this

**Special Walls**
**Stealth Rock**

Make these changes and call me back so i can give QC 1/3, nice job :]

Question: Why isn't Ancient Power slashed along with Hidden Power Rock? I mean, both have the same BP, and while HP Rock does have more uses, Ancient Power does have a chance of raising stats. This technically also means you could run Ancient Power alongside another Hidden Power if you wanted.

Question: Why isn't Ancient Power slashed along with Hidden Power Rock? I mean, both have the same BP, and while HP Rock does have more uses, Ancient Power does have a chance of raising stats. This technically also means you could run Ancient Power alongside another Hidden Power if you wanted.
Yeah, HP Rock is pretty situational, so PP isn't really an issue. I'll use it instead of HP Rock. Though you'd never run Ancient Power + Hidden Power so that isn't even an issue.

Yanmega has a lot more advantages over Sharpedo than you're giving it credit for. It's much less vulnerable to priority than Sharpedo (Mach Punch Hitmonlee is extremely common, and even though Sharpedo resists Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak it actually takes the same amount of damage from them as Yanmega because it's so ridiculously frail). It is also actually has quite a few switch-in opportunities (against Fighting-types, Grass-types, and predicted Earthquakes) unlike Sharpedo who is basically forced to always come in after a KO. And as someone else already mentioned, Bug Buzz is a stronger STAB than either of Sharpedo's. Sharpedo may be the better choice on a lot of teams, particularly due to Yanmega's SR weakness, but the gap between them is much smaller than you're making it out to be.

Golbat should get a special mention in C&C because it doesn't care about anything Yanmega can do outside of Specs Psychic.
This is UU LOL :]

i am failing to see how speed boost yanmega is "generally inferior to sharpedo". firstly, it is 17% stronger than physical pedo (it is 7% weaker than special pedo's hydro pump, but 25% more accurate).

secondly, it has a lot more switch-in opportunities (it gets basically a free switch-in against fighting moves/grass moves/ground moves/generally weak physical attacks), and while sharpedo has a much better typing, keep in mind that sharpedo only takes aqua jets/sucker punches/shadow sneaks 0.7% better than yanmega LOL.

thirdly, they hit different targets. for instance, lets say the opposing team is infernape/hydreigon/slowbro/hippowdon/stoutland/shaymin. if your team has yanmega, all you need to do to achieve an yanmega sweep is weaken stoutland until ~70%, and maybe hippo if it has whirlwind. if you have sharpedo, however: you need to weaken shaymin to 40%, hydreigon to 20%, slowbro to 75%, stoutland to 60%, and kill infernape because it might have mach punch/vacuum wave.

onto the analysis, if you are to mention sharpedo, you should say at best that "yanmega faces stiff competition with sharpedo, who has better typing. however yanmega has a much better bulk, and can hit many pokemon that sharpedo can't".

additionally, on the speed boost set, you should run 252 speed evs instead of 242 (probably a typo).

on the team options section for the speed boost set, definitely mention toxic spikes support from the likes of nidoqueen/tentacruel; with TS support, yanmega can use protect to not only obtain the speed boost but also wait for the foe to take an extra 12% damage that might knock it into KO range.

on the checks/counters section, volcarona should be removed because it's currently BL, and remove rhyperior because it really isn't a counter (tinted air slash or bug buzz will 2HKO it easily, and giga drain does 77%-91% to rhyperior even if it's specially defensive).

that said, 3/3

edit: LOL at below, i forgot it, but definitely mention fletchinder as a check (it 4x resists bug buzz, while OHKOing), bird is totally awesome :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)