Gen 3 Yet Another RMT Thread (NetBattle)

Updates to my team will be in bold, however, the description under them MIGHT not be up to date. Thanks.

Well, this is mainly just another RMT thread. If you don't know what RMT means, you probably shouldn't be posting here, but it means "Rate My Team." Anywho, I've been using this team on NetBattle the past few days, and a couple different Pokemon bother my team. So, if you don't mind, please help me re-construct my team into a better one. Criticism is always welcome, whether it is constructive or not.

----------

Salamence @ Leftovers
Adamant - Male
HPs: 116 Hitpoints, 252 Attack, 140 Speed
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Hidden Power [Flying]
Rock Slide

The basic lead of my team. "Sweeps things" is the best description I can give. Doesn't need the extra attack from an Adamant nature - It would still 2OHKO other Salamence. Also, being a physical attacker, it has no dragon type moves. Rock Slide deals with other Salamence and Dragonite just as well - It still takes two hits. However, Dragonites use Ice Beam a lot on this Pokemon, so I normally don't keep my Salamence in for them. Brick Break is used against Blissey and other normal types, like Snorlax. Earthquake for Metagross and Jolteon starters, sometimes Magneton if I anticipate the switch when I have my Skarmory out. Hidden Power Flying is better in this case than Aerial Ace, still has STAB but 10 more power. Got rid of Brick Break for Dragon Dance; still will be able to beat Blisseys, etc.

----------

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Adamant - Male
EVs: 84 Hitpoints, 252 Attack, 172 Speed
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Taunt
Hidden Power [Rock]

Again, I don't need the extra attack since I'll be using Dragon Dance anyways. The speed EVs are to make sure I can outrun things if I don't have time to Dragon Dance. Brick Break for Blisseys and other normal types, plus other Tyranitars who think they can crush me with an Earthquake, Hidden Power Bug for Psychics and Grass types like Sceptile. Rock Slide is some standard STAB for pretty much everything else. If I don't stand a chance against something, I swap out to keep Tyranitar alive. Tyranitar is basically my other physical attacker and can sweep if used correctly. Considering using Tyranitar as my lead to get a Sandstorm going - Would I be able to swap Salamence in safely if Tyranitar is threatened? Using Hidden Power Rock over Rock Slide for more accuracy and exchanged Hidden Power Bug for Taunt to beat Blisseys and Celebis. Swapped Brick Break for Earthquake because it still beats other Tyranitars.

----------

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish - Male
EVs: 252 Hitpoints, 4 Attack, 252 Defense
Hidden Power [Flying]
Whirlwind
Spikes
Rest

Before anyone says anything, yes, I do use Skarmory and Blissey. Also, to the people who notice random things, yes, I do have Leftovers on my entire team. Skarmory is the physical wall of my team, and is able to get safe Spikes in if I play my switches correctly. Roar here also acts as my Psuedohaze. Drill Peck is my basic attacking move, with STAB; so far has OHKO'd Breloom and Heracross on the switch. Substitute I help use to get Spikes in when Skarmory is serving it's purpose as a physical wall. Isn't supposed to go up against special attacks, hence why I poured all my EVs into defense. If a special attacker comes out, I just switch to one of my attackers or my other wall, Blissey. Skarmory also fails against Magneton. Decided to use Whirlwind over Roar for Soundproofs, ergo swapping Drill Peck for Hidden Power Flying. Rest was suggested over Substitute and makes a ton more sense.

Replaced Skarmory with:

Forretress @ Leftovers
Impish - Male
EVs: 252 Hitpoints, 252 Defense, 4 Special Defense
Light Screen
Spikes
Rapid Spin
Explosion

Since this is a replacement, only a quick summary. Light Screens for protection against Special Attacks. Spikes and Rapid Spins depending on situation; should be self-explanitory. I use Explosion as a finisher or if they have nobody to rid me of spikes or put spikes down.

----------

Gengar @ Leftovers
Modest - Male
EVs: 4 Hitpoints, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Ice Punch
Giga Drain
Psychic
Thunderbolt

Gengar is one of my two special attackers. Unlike my physical attackers, Gengar doesn't need the extra speed. Well, he does, but it downgraded the damage too much when I tried it. Fire Punch is for things like Metagross and Scizor, even though I won't normally have Gengar hanging around when a Metagross is staring him in the eye. Fire Punch also helps against grass types. Giga Drain is my only good attack on the team against Swamperts, so I had to get rid of Gengar's Ice Punch for it. Psychic for other Gengars, and Thunderbolt for water types... And pretty much everything it is normal effective against. Gengar can't survive the switch easily, more than a few times I've tried switching it in to a Metagross when my Salamence is dead, and Gengar gets OHKO'd by Meteor Mash. Swapped Fire Punch to Ice Punch; still beats the grass types but I will now need to switch out against Steel types.

----------

Starmie @ Leftovers
Modest - Genderless
Ice Beam
Recover
Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt

My other special attacker. Ice Beam against dragons like Salamence and Dragonite, and grass types like Venusaur and Sceptile. Psychic is Starmie's STAB attack, also can nail Gengars with it on the switch when they try to block my Rapid Spin. Speaking of, I use Rapid Spin to clear the Spikes away, but I don't switch Starmie in JUST for that, only if Starmie happens to be out and there are spikes on the field. Thunderbolt for other threatening Starmies, plus some Skarmories if they don't switch out. Also rips apart Gyarados, but I don't see those too often anymore. Outspeeds Gengar but doesn't outpower it, so I sometimes have trouble deciding which to use. Starmie has ice, however. Also has a problem against Dusclops Rapid Spin stoppers. Changed Psychic to Recover for the extra durability.

Replaced Starmie with:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Timid - Genderless
EVs: 252 Defense, 252 Speed, 4 Special Attack
Calm Mind
Ice Beam
Roar
Surf

Since this is a replacement, only a quick sum-up. Calm Minds for extra special defense, then abuses Roar if I have Spikes set up. Also is possible to act as a general wall, however I prefer using Forretress or Blissey since they have better defense against one specific type.

----------

Blissey @ Leftovers
Modest - Female
EVs: 252 Hitpoints, 4 Special Attack, 252 Defense
Aromatherapy
Ice Beam
Seismic Toss
Softboiled

The special wall of my team. Yes, it is overused, but so is the rest of my team. Can wall against pretty much anything special - I rarely see special attacks doing over 90 damage to this pink ball of... Air. Seismic Toss pretty much works against any opponent, and Ice Beam for Gengars and other ghosts that try and stop me. They don't try to stop Blissey much more now, because Ice Beam is now commonly running on Blissey - but so is Thunderbolt for some reason. Any reason I should change it to Thunderbolt? Is their a strength with it I'm missing? Softboiled is Blissey's main tanking move, recovers a whole lot of hitpoints. Leftovers don't do squat when I have Tyranitar's Sandstorm going though. Aromatherapy for cures to the rest of my team.

----------

Incase people didn't read the part WAAAAAY up at the top, I'll type it again:
Well, this is mainly just another RMT thread. If you don't know what RMT means, you probably shouldn't be posting here, but it means "Rate My Team." Anywho, I've been using this team on NetBattle the past few days, and a couple different Pokemon bother my team. So, if you don't mind, please help me re-construct my team into a better one. Criticism is always welcome, whether it is constructive or not.

Hopefully I can thank you now, as I am expecting good feedback.
-/+ RAUGE +\-

I'm considering giving Choice Band to Salamence and Gengar. I could swap to one of my walls, depending on which attack type is being used, and swap back to them if I needed to change the attack they were using.

Any ideas?

EDIT: That way I could give Gengar more speed, since he would do more damage with his attacks and outspeed other Gengars.

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rauge said:
Gengar @ Leftovers
Modest - Male
Fire Punch
Giga Drain
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Replace Fire Punch with Ice Punch, IMO. Ice Punch hits the grass types hard, and Thunderbolt usually covers the rest. I know the Giga Drain is for Swampert, so I'd keep that. However, I'd replace Psychic with either Hypnosis or Destiny Bond as either of those moves will probably be more useful than Psychic.

Meh, Choice Bands didn't work out so well. Scratch that idea.

Also, Max, thanks for your post. I see what you mean by Ice Punch.
Dragon types can get annoying... Also, I was spacing out, and thought Electric was not very effective against Steel types, ergo I had Fire Punch.

Next time I go on NetBattle I'll be trying out Hypnosis, it sounds like a good idea, although I think I'll have trouble with other Gengars if I can't score the 55% accuracy.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Salamence @ Leftovers
Jolly - Male
HPs: 4 Hitpoints, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Brick Break
Earthquake
Hidden Power [Flying]
Rock Slide

I don't like the idea of 4 Attack Salamence without a Choice Band; Medicham and Deoxys-F are about the only things I try that on. I recommend giving it a Choice Band and replacing Brick Break for Flamethrower, or using Dragon Dance over Brick Break. Just about the only thing Brick Break is helping you out with is Curselax, but you have Tyranitar to crush them if they have Shadow Ball, and Gengar if they have Earthquake, and Sand Stream in effect to negate its Leftovers.

If you go with Dragon Dance here, bring your Speed down to 270 (this requires 140 EVs with Hidden Power Flying), max Attack with Adamant, and put the rest in HP. If you stick a Choice Band on there, make sure your EVs are 31 in Speed, 30 in everything else, so you get max Speed and max Power Hidden Power Flying.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Jolly - Male
EVs: 252 Hitpoints, 4 Attack, 252 Speed
Brick Break
Dragon Dance
Hidden Power [Bug]
Rock Slide

Hmm, interesting set, but if you chance the EVs and moveset around a bit, some of the stuff you mentioned is irrelevant. The standard is Dragon Dance, Earthquake, Taunt, and Rock Slide / Hidden Power Rock, with max Attack, enough Speed to hit at least 200, and any leftovers in HP with an Adamant nature. A max Attack Adamant Rock move will OHKO stuff like Sceptile, and the Grass types that aren't OHKOed are either not threats after a Taunt (Celebi) or would take less from Hidden Power Bug anyway (Venusaur). Sceptile and the like aren't really common, anyway. Earthquake hits everything that resists Rock Slide at least neutral, except for Breloom (which still takes high damage thanks to its pitiful defenses), Flygon, and Claydol. Taunt makes most Normal types irrelevant, and stops stuff like Celebi from using Leech Seed.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish - Male
EVs: 252 Hitpoints, 4 Attack, 252 Defense
Drill Peck
Roar
Spikes
Substitute

Substitute really don't seem that useful to me on Skarmory, I don't know why people use it. If they have Magneton, you use Substitute, they come in and break it as you Roar. You've just lost 12.5% of your HP after Leftovers, and they can just do it again. Give Skarmory Rest and status is even less relevant than it already was, and it can live longer. You have Aromatherapy on Blissey, so Rest can theoretically take 1 turn to use instead of 3.

I prefer Hidden Power Flying and Whirlwind over Drill Peck and Roar, because Roar doesn't effect Exploud, Electrode, and Mr. Mime (the last one is the only one that really matters). Whirlwind Skarmory is going to do you a lot more good vs. a BP team than Roar for this reason, and most of the Pokemon you'll be using your attack on are either OHKOed by either (Heracross, Breloom, and the like), or you easily beat with either move (Salamence without a Fire move, Gyarados).

Gengar @ Leftovers
Modest - Male
Ice Punch
Giga Drain
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt

I don't like Hypnosis on Gengar, unlike many others. My main problem is that Gengar is frail, so a Hypnosis miss can cost you a Gengar, whereas if it's on something like Milotic, you can afford to miss a few times. I like Destiny Bond, Explosion, Focus Punch, Fire Punch (still good for Jirachi, Metagross, and Heracross, mostly, but also OHKOs Forretress and hits Steelix), or Taunt. Taunt is a really underrated move on Gengar--you can beat Blissey without Focus Punch. If you use Focus Punch or Explosion, use a -Defense or -Special Defense nature.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Modest - Genderless
Ice Beam
Psychic
Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt

I much prefer Surf to Psychic. However, the main reason to use Starmie over, say, Claydol, is that it can Recover. You should either drop this for a Claydol with Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Ice Beam, and another move (Hidden Power Electric, Psychic, Explosion, Rest) or lose one of the attacks for Recover, so your final moveset would be Recover, Rapid Spin, and two of Surf, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Calm - Female
EVs: 252 Hitpoints, 4 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense
Aromatherapy
Ice Beam
Seismic Toss
Softboiled

Remove all those Special Defense EVs and put them in Defense. Blissey can tank any special attacker in OU without any EVs, but without Defense EVs, just about any physical attack will OHKO you. With Defense EVs, it will just about triple your Defense. I'd use a Modest nature with Ice Beam instead of Calm.
Also you don't have to worry about using all Leftovers or Skarmbliss or anything, the people on these forums tend to be smart and realize you should use the best thing that's allowed to win. =)

Hypnosis is 60% accuracy, it's Sing that's 55%.

Also you don't have to worry about using all Leftovers or Skarmbliss or anything, the people on these forums tend to be smart and realize you should use the best thing that's allowed to win. =)

Hypnosis is 60% accuracy, it's Sing that's 55%.
Thanks for your great feedback!

Some of what you suggested is what I had in the first place, so I'm more than willing to change it. Also most of these ideas make sense, heh.

Also, I realized Sing was the 55% right after I closed my Internet browser >_<

TBH, I'd most definitely use Surf on Starmie or replace that with Claydol because your Tyranitar weakness is uncanny right now. However, if they use Boah, which might actually even hurt your team even more so if possible than DDTar, you'd have to revert to something like Light Screen Forretress, therefore being able to replace Skarmory for perhaps something like CMCune who abuses Roar, giving you the annoying Sandstorm/Spikes thing going on and keep up the heavy offense you already have. Plus, a Heracross resist that doesn't die via Sandstorm helps.

Hm, Aeroblacktyl; interesting points.
I'll try what you suggested and see how it works with my team. Thanks.

Also, I probably will remember it after someone tells me, but what does TBH mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)