Yilx first place artist

Sheesh, can't please em all.

Though vocaloids infuriated me ever since I first heard what passed for their music. Leave the e-bands alone, Japan. That Rin however is very ncie.

How do you get the colors at the border of the black to be so smooth. o _o It always ends up jagged when I fill the colors in. I've had to manually use a brush to get color borders that smooth. Do you use some setting like "smart object" to get it like that? What method do you use?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
guess nobody here likes vocaloids :(
it's also somewhat hard to comment on loosely colored women on someone else's computer ahaha

But I like the smooth work you've out into it. Her arm seems unusually thick when I compare it to her chest, but otherwise, it's a really neat drawing with an nice pose.

flygon and escavalier
aww yisss, escavalier looks real sweet now. The same I said about him can also be said about Flygon, since the purple highlights should at least be seen at the right end of the background if the light source comes from that direction. However, since purple works with red, and Flygon is naturally green, it's not as big of a deal like last time. I also like what you did to his eye, Flygon really should have been made Bug/Dragon from the start imo.

How do you get the colors at the border of the black to be so smooth. o _o It always ends up jagged when I fill the colors in. I've had to manually use a brush to get color borders that smooth. Do you use some setting like "smart object" to get it like that? What method do you use?
Not sure how Yilx goes about that, but I usually select the empty spaces with the magic wand tool and then expand the selection with 2-3 pixels. Afterwards, I fill in the color on a separate layer with the selection I just made. But sometimes that's not enough to fill in all the creaks, not to mention that you need the lineart to not have any gaps, but it's a way to get the job done quickly.

Although I've had similar problems when the selection gets jagged, for no reason in particular. And I always forget how to cure that!

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Quite similar to what bummer mentioned, except I use magic wand with colour tolerance with around 120 or so on the third setting, colour if I remember correctly?

That and manually colouring them in haha, but that's all part of the pic

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Best one so far. Red and blue is difficult to combine, but in sense of light and shade, this works really well.

By the way, what are all of these? Favorite mons, type meme or secret option 3?

Yilx

Sad
Best one so far. Red and blue is difficult to combine, but in sense of light and shade, this works really well.

By the way, what are all of these? Favorite mons, type meme or secret option 3?
Option 3, all of the above. :)

not too happy with how this one turned out i'll probably work on it more once I get back from camp...

Yilx and Bummer: Thanks for sharing your secrets, now its a matter of wether I'm skilled enough to pull it off. D:

That Magnezone is very AWESOME.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
i need to paint more
Yes, yes you do.

There is very little criticism which comes to mind when I look at your recent picture. Good pose, great use of lighting, nice textures, all in all one of your best pieces imo. Despite its somewhat morbid design.

damn that meloetta and cap whatever its name is is sexy

also i think the problem with magnezone is that the shading of the side magnet makes it look like the top of the magnet is flat, while it is in fact curved. also i'm nitpicking but the screw looks like it's coming completely out of the back, while it should be protruding form the top at an angle. it's still sexy though <3

Yilx

Sad
OMG, I love vocaloids, first time looking through the art thread and i find vocaloid art. :D

Unfortunately i don't know what song that is from. I feel like i've seen alot of evil Rin videos but none with a sword. Can I get the name of the song?
Shura no Niwa. You need to look it up on Niconico though youtube only has the derpy len version as far as i know

Off the top of my head, I have no idea what that could possibly be.
This does not prevent it from being beautiful.

edit: Further inspection leads me to believe that it's a fusion of Nectera and Registeel. How wrong am I?

Yilx

Sad
Off the top of my head, I have no idea what that could possibly be.
This does not prevent it from being beautiful.

edit: Further inspection leads me to believe that it's a fusion of Nectera and Registeel. How wrong am I?
order went as follows:

1. watch 2nd gurren lagann movie
2. holy shit at all the
everyone getting tengen toppa version of their own mecha

3. sketch the 3 regis as tengen toppa mecha
4. ~5 months later~
5. complete tengen toppa registeel, feel completely unsatisfied on how badly i did it oh god i'm so sorry :evan::evan::evan::evan:

That is an excellent chain of thought sir. And the art's great no matter what you say! >:V
(Though now that you mention it, a few sunglasses and skull details would not have gone amiss.)

Still, I'm eagerly awaiting -rock and -ice! :D

Yilx

Sad
That is an excellent chain of thought sir. And the art's great no matter what you say! >:V
(Though now that you mention it, a few sunglasses and skull details would not have gone amiss.)

Still, I'm eagerly awaiting -rock and -ice! :D
posted sketch for rock a few pages back but i'll probably redo him a little havent done ice yet i'm so sorry oh my god

also you need your own art thread :jump:

rock sketch? okay ' 3'

also I would make an art thread, but I've been looking through yours and rocket grunt's and SENTRET's and wyverii's and nastyjungle's and now I feel thoroughly emasculated D:
but that's no excuse I know. It'll happen soon enough.

How do you even DO those streaky lines they are all so CLEAR and SMOOTH D:

Also dat Lilligant has a bellybutton how is this possible
(this ISN'T an incitement for change BTW)

Yilx

Sad
How do you even DO those streaky lines they are all so CLEAR and SMOOTH D:

Also dat Lilligant has a bellybutton how is this possible
(this ISN'T an incitement for change BTW)
I guess it comes from ages of drawing in that style (a bad thing IMO), and drawing it at huge resolutions...

Hey, drawing in one style for ages is still better than drawing for ages in a style that may not be as nice to look at, take it from me. I tried and failed for years to do traditional pokemon stylee artwork, but then Panty & Stocking and Scott Pilgrim happened, and I found my true calling :D
Also are those huge resolutions you speak of anywhere over 10,000 pixels? because if so then I admire your ability to keep the entire piece coherent. I end up forgetting what it was I was doing on other parts of the canvas ^^;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)