Yilx first place artist

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey, drawing in one style for ages is still better than drawing for ages in a style that may not be as nice to look at, take it from me. I tried and failed for years to do traditional pokemon stylee artwork, but then Panty & Stocking and Scott Pilgrim happened, and I found my true calling :D
Also are those huge resolutions you speak of anywhere over 10,000 pixels? because if so then I admire your ability to keep the entire piece coherent. I end up forgetting what it was I was doing on other parts of the canvas ^^;
Nope it's somewhere within 2000-3000 most of the time. I find making the strokes fast and straight the best way to get them straight, doing them slow is only going to make them stagger...

If I go anywhere above 3000x4000 I think my computer would self-destruct. :adam:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Meoletta is easily the best one yet of this series, as it packs much more punch (get it???) with her fierce pose and confident look. And both her and Lilligant have the proper lighting that goes with the background color, so my former complaint is now entirely invalid. I meant to comment about Magnezone earlier, but ssbbm pretty much nailed it.

ssbbm said:
also i think the problem with magnezone is that the shading of the side magnet makes it look like the top of the magnet is flat, while it is in fact curved.
Regardless if you keep the original pose and angle of the first image or if you redo it completely, it'll be neat to see your take on it. Although if include electricity effects, I'd suggest you skip the outer glow part seeing as your shading is solid and doesn't have soft edges.

That Maloetta and Lilligant are epic. Your style always gives life to the characters.

Quick, straight strokes? I tried it out, it is a very fast and fun technique! D: Yet, it requires a brave soul to use. The end result is similar to your line style. Interesting. It's also over twice as fast as my double lightning style. Once mastered, your pen style is superior to any that I have in speed. D:

Also, when you make the strokes, at what zoom% are you at? Like 25%, 50%, or 100% and what is the brush width?

Yilx

Sad
That Maloetta and Lilligant are epic. Your style always gives life to the characters.

Quick, straight strokes? I tried it out, it is a very fast and fun technique! D: Yet, it requires a brave soul to use. The end result is similar to your line style. Interesting. It's also over twice as fast as my double lightning style. Once mastered, your pen style is superior to any that I have in speed. D:

Also, when you make the strokes, at what zoom% are you at? Like 25%, 50%, or 100% and what is the brush width?
100%. width depends on the piece, to be honest...

Ah, I was drawing at 33%, which would explain why I couldn't get as smooth as lines.

The fighter gym leader beat that due up good. XD Candice appears afraid.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sorry about that i guess :evan:
oh knock it off, it was just a friendly jab, your earlier works has already shown that it's a approach you often take so there's no point to make an issue of it now

with that said, I like the Steelix, the menacing red reflections on and in his face really makes him look as intimidating as he should be.

More great work yilx. I like the liligant. It reminds me of a vocaloid character (judging purely from the facial expression). I cant quite put my finger on who though...

....but none the less. Great work :)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Good proportions, nice smooth strokes, excellent lighting, but her face ruined all of that for me. The appearance of her mouth, eyes and nose is so sharp compared to the rest of her body that it seems it was pasted onto a faceless body.

I hate to be this negative about an image of such quality, but if you nail the face then this will be so much better. Things I can think of to improve it would be to widen her mouth, give her nose better depth (not just an anime angle), and make her eye pupils bigger. Actually, the whole thing could improve if you rotated her face contents 10-20 degrees clockwise.

also love the Stunfisk. I miss the derpy eyes, but man does it look badass.

Yilx

Sad
Good proportions, nice smooth strokes, excellent lighting, but her face ruined all of that for me. The appearance of her mouth, eyes and nose is so sharp compared to the rest of her body that it seems it was pasted onto a faceless body.

I hate to be this negative about an image of such quality, but if you nail the face then this will be so much better. Things I can think of to improve it would be to widen her mouth, give her nose better depth (not just an anime angle), and make her eye pupils bigger. Actually, the whole thing could improve if you rotated her face contents 10-20 degrees clockwise.

also love the Stunfisk. I miss the derpy eyes, but man does it look badass.
I appreciate this kind of comment the most! Thanks very much, Bummer :) I'll try to see what I Can do to fix it.

Also, to not make this post so empty, i draw a bakemonogatari.

Yilx

Sad
Another one in my Graveyard of the Dream series. It's a little morbid, so don't open the hide tag if that kind of thing puts you off.

~GIRINJYA~

"wmnnn!" a cosiderate girl with a dress longer than herself waddles across the street. nobody knows where she came from or for whom she tolls for. she just goes around run a misterys 'errand', while help whoever she can.
but the big fat red house in the edge of the town was too loud. it was curiosity in her head that led her to it.
the girl had no idea what was happening. the girl only hered nothing but loud cries and squishy sounds everywhere.
"whats all this??? why are the people sad" she asks the person working.
"we need to make money" the woman with a mouth mask told her. "you sudnt be here, its dangeres."
"but working here makes yu sad" the girl replied.
"we hav no choice."
the girl had no idea what to do. she did not understand what the kind lady meant. but she went to ask anwyay. she just looks around the place, but she was eventually chasd out by a fat man with blue shirts.
"i cant let the big bad monsters make all the poepl sad everyday." she said to herself.
finally, she had an idea. that night, she went back to the fat red house.
"to make the popel notsad this is the thing i need to sotp. mr, monster, please stop. ure make the pople sad."
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
"oh, ubut you're not talking? did you go to sleep just like the people too?"
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiiii
"oh, ubut maybe oyu're just a machin. i'll need to take out the battries so you wont make the poepl sad anymore..."
the girl climbed right into the big, rusty red vat...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)