#YOLO Finals!! [Won by Myzozoa]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Introduction:
It's been a long, difficult journey but we have a final 3 set in stone for the rest of time! No one really cares, though.

Banlist:
Abilities:

NO Water Absorb, Volt Absorb, Poison Heal, Dry Skin, Ice Body, Rain Dish, and Regenerator.

Moves:

NO Heal Pulse, Softboiled, Roost, Recover, Rest, Giga Drain, Absorb, Mega Drain, Horn Leech, Drain Punch, Leech Seed, Dream Eater, Slack Off, Milk Drink, Heal Order, Healing Wish, Lunar Dance, Ingrain, Aqua Ring, Leech Life, Synthesis, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Wish, Present, Pain Split, and Swallow. No Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes.

Items:

NO Leftovers, Black Sludge, Aguav Berry, Enigma Berry, Figy Berry, Iapapa Berry, Mago Berry, Berry Juice, Oran Berry, Sitrus Berry, Shell Bell, Wiki Berry, and Sweet Heart.

General Rules: (Basically Standard Smogon Rules)
  • Sleep Clause: If a player has already put an opposing Pokémon to sleep using a sleep inducing move and that Pokémon is still sleeping due to that sleep inducing move, the player cannot put another opposing Pokémon to sleep using a sleep inducing move.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same species of Pokémon on their team, based on the National Pokedex Number. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use Double Team or Minimize in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Battle Timeout: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Moody Clause: A player may not use a Pokémon with the ability Moody.
  • Any games not finished by the deadline (unless extensions are given) will be decided by a coin toss, or given to the player who was more active.

The 3 finalists will be taking part in a round robin style finals: Soulgazer, Jayde and Myzozoa
Soulgazer vs Myzozoa
Myzozoa vs Jayde
Soulgazer vs Jayde
I took the 3 of them out for an interview, same 5 questions, though:

1) What do you think of the YOLO theme generally?
2) Have you ever used #YOLO irl?
3) Have you found any 4MSS in this tournament at all? With many moves unavailable you may not have.
4) How do you feel about your competition for this round robin finals?
5) Do you think you could win it all?

Myzozoa was the first to answer the questions
1) I would probably have also banned auto weather or focus sash, either one would go along way to making it more competitive imo. With no leftovers or recover or entry hazards, stall is impossible, so offense is the best style, and focus sash is a great item for offense and against offense, which forces anyone who wants to play another style to use hail or sand to break sashes (hail being the better of the two). So banning Sash or banning auto weather would really open up opportunities for different play styles and thus a more balanced meta.
2) Yes. and in my friend group, we don't say you only live once, we say 'you only live forever' which is abbreviated to YOLF so sometimes we shout 'yolf.' I think this was started when one of us was making fun of yolo, and someone trying to be pretentious (it may have been me) argued that everyone actually does live forever (i think they or maybe I argued that since your body gets put back into the ecosystem when you die, and then those particles reform as other life, that means reincarnation is true. this is an interesting argument because it can be made to seem valid if notions of the soul or the self are not predicated on minds) on some flimsy philosophical or ideological grounds. But whoever it was made an impression and now to be hipster we say yolf instead of yolo.

3) This is all Theorymon: Infernape, it wants u-turn, fake out, encore, fireblast, and close combat. It's the best non-weather lead. Other than that, Abomasnow, which wants Ice Shard, Protect, Blizzard, Wood Hammer, and HP Fire, Frosslass wants taunt, d-bond, blizzard, shadow ball, protect. All of the protects are just for breaking focus sashes with weather, so that means some pokemon are going down to 3 moves because protect is so important.

4) Jayde's good. Not familiar with the other, but he is a badged user so it's a real enough finals. I've lost to jayde in the later rounds of tournaments twice i think, but I'm building the right teams and catching my opponents with strats they aren't prepared for. I have some ideas I haven't used yet to abuse the yolo metagame that i don't think will be prepared for.

5) Sure, any of the finalists could.

Next, Jayde took the quiz:

1) interesting tournament idea, especially the no sr part really changes the metagame by boosting certain mons much higher than they are in normal OU. it also encourages offense from both sides, resulting in some interesting matchups
2) too mainstream that's not how I roll
3) nothing out of the ordinary, most of the mons I use are offensive obviously and without healing have even fewer options than usual. most of what I've been using has pretty good stab.
4) it's BW and it's basically HO all around so almost anything can happen, competition is pretty good minus soulgazer
5) of course.

And Soulgazer, despite being busy, sent these answers in:
1) meh.
2) no.
3) Depends of the pkm, so yes.
4) Jayde n_n
5) They both have more experience than me in OU, so we will see.

Let the battles commence!

Last edited:

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
lol of course jayde hasn't found any 4mss this tournament, he just used my team lol!!

also change that one move on ur one poke calm mind is ass

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I will be much more active starting around the 3rd, next few days involve a lot of travel so probably won't be attempting to play before then. just a heads up.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
we always catch each other at bad times but the fite will happen v. soon

fucked up bad turn one and lost in a close game I thought I had won until the very end, gg and congrats

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)