1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 2 You know the drill.

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Ace777, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Ace777

Ace777

[​IMG]
    Hypno (M) @ Leftovers ** Melatonin
    - Light Screen
    - Psychic
    - Rest
    - Thunder Wave

First up is Melatonin; his job is to Thunder Wave everything in sight and Light Screen when needed. He also Rests when worn-out and uses a Stab'd Psychic.
    [​IMG]
    Starmie @ Leftovers ** Echinoderm
    - Rapid Spin
    - Reflect
    - Surf
    - Thunder Wave

Pretty standard Starmie, really. Echinoderm uses Thunder Wave > Psychic becuase this team has enough Machamp protection and it focuses on paralysis. Reflect helps in a pinch and Rapid Spin to help against stall teams.
    [​IMG]
    Magneton @ Leftovers ** Electrometer
    - Hidden Power [Water]
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Thunder

Thunder > Thunderbolt on Electrometer becuase 30% paralysis rate is awesome and that extra power wouldn't hurt. Sleep Talk is there becuase this team is lacking a status taker.
    [​IMG]
    Meganium (M) @ Leftovers ** Cordyceps
    - Growl
    - Leech Seed
    - Razor Leaf
    - Synthesis

Cordyceps is very helpful against Curses with Growl that seem to laugh at this team; It's also a pretty decent Marowak counter. Everything else is standard.
    [​IMG]
    Marowak (M) @ Thick Club ** Ethmoid
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Rock Slide
    - Swords Dance

Elthmoid uses Hidden Powder Flying over Bug because against annoying Jumpluff. Exeggutor takes 96% ~ 100% from a Swords Danced Hidden Power anyways.
    [​IMG]
    Clefable (M) @ Leftovers ** Galileo
    - Belly Drum
    - Encore
    - Moonlight
    - Return

Last but not least, Galileo the Celfable. Encore is gamebreaking when used right. Everything else speaks for itself, 'nuff said.

Well that's it. I'm also aware that I'm laking someone that can (h)phaze and a VERY HUGE Heracross weak (Need Help). It also contains no Snorlax! Also, if you plan on helping this team please keep the fatties to a minimum (Blissey, Snorlax, Skarmory, etc...) Thank You for your help.

P.S. Kingra sux (:
  2. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel

I would use HP: Ice over Water on Magneton
  3. Ace777

Ace777

I was thinking about that but the thought of OHKOing Rhydon and 2HKOing Steelix is too sexy. (Assuming it does max damage >_>)
  4. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel

oh and you might want to watch out for Machamp and Heracross
  5. Ace777

Ace777

I Know I have a Heracross weakness, as stated in my first post. But how do I have a Machamp weak? I have Starmie, Hypno, and Meganium stalls it like no tomorrow. I'm thinking of using using Gligar over Marowak but I lose a lot of offense...
  6. green_flash

green_flash

dragonite learns both haze and reflect for curser, and it has a clear shot at countering heracross... give it a chance over meganium imo!
  7. GreenPikachu

GreenPikachu pumpkin pieco
    is a Contributor Alumnus

...or just give meganium the move COUNTER, and counter heracross's megahorn. it doesn't OHKO (unless curses are behind it, and curse heracross is a thing of the past). also, meganium is sturdy enough with leech seed/synthesis to not necessarily be worthless after the countering.

edit: i just realized today that i put "study" instead of "sturdy"
  8. Ace777

Ace777

I'll try using a Dragonite over Meganium to see how it goes.

Yeah, Counter could be helpful against Heracross and behind a Reflect Meganium does have a chance to beat Curselax. I'll try this idea first to see how everything runs.

Anyone else want to contribute?
  9. havoc

havoc pottlepalooza
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

one of the main problems with this team is that 4 of your pokemon only have 1 attacking move, one of which has marginal usefulness (Razor Leaf). this may not be really unusual on a staple/standard GSC stall team, but underused support pokemon like Meganium need a steady onslaught of offense from everything else to really achieve their maximum utility. you're so busy trying to take hits that you don't have anything with which to hit back.

with this lack of direct offense comes a myriad of easy switchins for things that may or may not cause big problems for your team. not only in terms of attacking your team, but also by spreading status. things such as Suicune (Toxic), Nidoking (Lovely Kiss), Exeggutor, and Jumpluff (Spores) all have at least one pokemon that they can easily switch into and spread status around or just go ahead and start attacking.

as you mentioned, Heracross is a big offensive problem for this team, but he is not the only one. Nidoking will force a risky prediction war (Hypno is your safest choice but takes Earthquake pretty hard). Suicune can Toxic and shuffle stuff around with Roar--its Surf also does around ~45% to Magneton. Houndoom hits all 4 non-sweepers super-effectively and puts huge dents in the sweepers. Tyranitar can do the same. Umbreon ruins Starmie with Pursuit or can Baton Pass Mean Looks with no fear.
  10. Ace777

Ace777

Thank you havoc, you critiqued it well. About the Starmie thing, I though I had recover over Thunder Wave, my mistake. I also forgot the main reasons I had Hidden Power Flying on Marowak: Heracross. I know I have only 4 of my Pokemon have only one attacking move and need more type selection (I only have 9 attack types which isn't so great). I should stop focusing on Paralysis and use more attacking moves.

Yeah, even with prediction status still screws this team. Exeggutor could just Sleep Powder my Magneton and go on a Stun Sporing rave. Suicune is also an problem like you said in your prevoius post; Magneton can't take Surfs forever. Nidoking can also go rampant on my team because it hits everything on my team with a hefty amout of damage.

Yes, Heracross does easily tear through this team. Tyranitar is also a pain becuase Meganium could get Fire Blasted during the switch on it and Marowak lacks Leftovers and Rest to keep switching on it. Lastly Umbreon, virtually makes most of my pokemon useless. I really do need to stop whoring Starmie even on my teams >_>. These 6 months from not playing Pokemon made me very rusty... so I didn't even notice most of the problems you posted.

Anyone else want to add anything havoc missed? >_>
  11. Ace777

Ace777

Bumping.

Alright, after much thought on what havoc said; I decided revamp this team.

Hypno (M) @ Leftovers ** Melatonin
    - Light Screen
    - Psychic
    - Rest
    - Thunder Wave

Nothing else seems to be a decent lead imo...

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers ** Testudines
    - Rapid Spin
    - Reflect
    - Rest
    - Surf

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers ** Hakairyu
    - Dynamicpunch
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunder

Meganium (M) @ Leftovers ** Cordyceps
    - Growl
    - Leech Seed
    - Razor Leaf
    - Synthesis

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers ** Theropoda
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Rock Slide

Heracross (M) @ Leftovers ** Hercules
    - Megahorn
    - Rest
    - Seismic Toss
    - Sleep Talk

Debating on weather to use this or Ampharos... If I use Heracross it means Umbry & Nidoking are not much of a problem. However, if I use Ampharos; Zapdos & friends will get walled easily. I forgot to mention this but if I use Ampharos; Tenacruel could gtfo.

Anyone want to help figure out any holes in this team?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)