Youkai Watch

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I feel like I have to start a thread. This thing is sooo addictive and so big in Asia.

Firstly, it's the most popular anime this year for Japan and Hong Kong.
Secondly, the games sell very well.

I watched 18 anime episodes in these 2 days and I truly find it addictive.
The show is very funny.
--------------------------------------------

Youkai Watch is about a boy named Keita obtaining a "Youkai Watch"-- a watch that allows him to see Youkai, which can be translated to ghost.
I think the most fitting Western word is ghost. Most characters in the anime have died once.

After Keita got the watch, he begins to realize that many troubles in Japan are actually caused by Youkai.
He then mainly tries to settle all the problems by befriending the Youkai's.
He can also summon Youkai from his watch, and tell them to fight other Youkai.
But he rarely counters a Youkai by force. Usually, it's negotiation.

Here are a few cute ones:

And a few pretty ones:

And a few badass looking ones:

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nintendo is bringing the 3ds game over to the western market next year, cautiously excited since it's a licensed game but it could be the biggest thing since pokemon

Cresselia~~

I'm not sure if you can trade/ battle with other people?
I haven't played the games yet. I might get a copy though. My 3DS is Japanese anyway.

nintendo is bringing the 3ds game over to the western market next year, cautiously excited since it's a licensed game but it could be the biggest thing since pokemon
I think it will happen in the West.
It relies on the adaptation though. They could change stuff like "possession" into "infection", in order to make it more Christian-friendly.

The anime itself isn't that cultural, so it should be fine.

Cresselia~~

Yokai watch 3 has over 600 Yokais already.
I think this trend is going to die way sooner than Digimon. What's the point of so many characters in just 3 generations?
Oh wait... has it ever been a thing in the West anyway?

Yokai watch 3 has over 600 Yokais already.
I think this trend is going to die way sooner than Digimon. What's the point of so many characters in just 3 generations?
Oh wait... has it ever been a thing in the West anyway?
Besides being a bump from the dead, I remember them trying to push it hard when the games and anime I guess we're first coming or here, but I don't think that accomplished anything, it might be the next Pokemon it sounds like in Japan, but doesn't seem to be the case here so far; the world can only handle so many Pokemon clones, even Digimon is a big afterthought nowadays. Hell I'm surprised YGO still manages to churn out ever worsening anime and dumb card mechanics through making their products more kiddy flavor since 5Ds ended.

Even though Yo-kai Watch seemed to die in the Western world (if only because of those commercials and Nintendo slapping their name on it), the anime seems to sneak a lot of risque humor in the Disney XD dub, which could easily be on par with SpongeBob. If there's anything that lets it slide, it's probably the absence of combat. It seems like fantastical violence isn't tolerated by America (and to an extent, some other Anglophone countries), unlike the implications of dirty jokes.

Regardless, I fucking love both versions of the anime.

While vg's currently aern't enough priority to consider buying this, what I love most about the game is............................."JIBANYAAN!!!"

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

The anime soundtrack is really catchy. I constantly get LSS from its songs. Gera Gera Po!
Gera gera Po is the best song ever. I can listen to it more than 10 times per day.
Even though Yo-kai Watch seemed to die in the Western world (if only because of those commercials and Nintendo slapping their name on it), the anime seems to sneak a lot of risque humor in the Disney XD dub, which could easily be on par with SpongeBob. If there's anything that lets it slide, it's probably the absence of combat. It seems like fantastical violence isn't tolerated by America (and to an extent, some other Anglophone countries), unlike the implications of dirty jokes.

Regardless, I fucking love both versions of the anime.
Lack of combat does kill a bit, but occasionally it's good to have child's shows without combat.
I see that Yokai Watch youtube videos seem to get a lot of views. But there's no way to tell whether they come from children or adults (who play Pokemon)

So you think the dub is quite good?
I actually quite like the dub too, just that I don't understand all the puns.
I somehow prefer Nate's English voice more than Japanese voice.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the show has made me want to play the game super badly now, the show is almost spongebob-level excellent
As someone who played the game before watching the show, I can say you're in for a treat! Just note that "catching" Yokai is a massive pain in the ass sadly, but otherwise, I enjoyed the ingame stuff more than the non competitive stuff of recent Pokemon games! The game has a similar sort of quirky atomosphere to the show, and the battle mechanics are drastically different than anything in Pokemon. Instead of turn based battles, its more of a frantic real time thing that heavily emphasizes placement and switching. The boss battles in particular are a real joy!

I'm just hoping Yokai Watch 2 gets localized. By all accounts, its like a Gold / Silver level Sequel that doubles the size of the original, and it has online play too. I heard there's even a small competitive scene in Japan...

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the double post, but some great news: Yo-Kai Watch 2 just got confirmed for US release! Nintendo just put out a press release for it.

Apparently, it comes out on September 30th (Same day as Final Fantasy 15 >_>), and the two versions have been localized as Yokai Watch 2: Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. Bit creepy name wise!

As I mentioned almost a month ago, the sequels are apparently on a totally different level than the original, so this should keep me busy till Pokemon Sun and Moon come out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)