Your First Battle

I sort of kind of played a competitive game back in 2008 on Shoddy Battle. My friend and I were using the simulator to battle with our the RBY cartridges. I was curious to see what it would be like against someone else, so I tried, and got swept by whatever his Ninjask passed its boosts to. I thought Baton Pass was the premier competitive strategy after that.

The first time I actually built a team geared toward competitive battling was in the Genesect era. Because of my single previous experience with competitive battling, I decided to use a SmashPass team with Gorebyss passing, Haxorus receiving, Jolteon, Gliscor, Keldeo and a Zoroark that would pretend to be Keldeo. I forgot to put items on everything except Gorebyss and Haxorus.

My SmashPass was foiled almost right away, and I considered quitting, but figured I'd play the match out. I got like three really lucky crits and ended up winning. The other guy (who I'm sure also wasn't very good) kept asking me what item I was using when I crit, and I kept laughing because the answer was nothing.

Last edited:

Stone RG

Megas are broke
I remember my first team: Dual Screens Deo-S/LO Alakazam (which was incredibly underrated imo mid BW)/DD mence/Scarf Gengar/DD ttar (lol)/Rotom W. Thats how i remember it.

I cant really say i remember exactly my first battle, but, even though this will sound cocky, i was pretty darn good for a first-timer, after all, i had been 3-4 months preparing myself, analyzing the plays of featured poketubers, aka shofu and joey, to be able to go up against mid-ladder and be alright at it. Ofc, then i got smashed in higher ladder (which idk how i got to with such a shit team).

My first competitive battle was on PO. I was using a Rain team with Scarfed Genesect iirc. At the time the concept of being Choice locked went completely over my head and I was getting really frustrated that I couldn't switch moves knowing that I could hit the Pokemon in front of me with super effective damage. After struggling for a while, I finally realized how choice items worked and I switched out to something I thought could beat Genesect. I switched out as he Rock Polished and swept my entire team.

Mine was back in 2005, in the battle simulator Netbattle(the BEST!). I made a team with 6 ubers (all we got til that), consisting of: mewtwo, lugia, ho-oh, groudon, kyogre, rayquaza. I had some notion of how build a pokémon with nice attacks and stuff, but knew nothing about true competitive battling. The time were gone, and here I am, looking to my sixth new generation(i was 6 when pokemon arrived at Brazil).

Ps: created a smogon acc. just to answer this thread. Haha.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i used loco's dpp ubers team from the smog and wrecked a kid with a charizard

by that i mean 1-0'd a team like red's

I've been following Smogon since shortly after I got my first Pokemon game (which was about two years ago - I'm a bit of a latecomer to the franchise). So when I actually started playing competitively in the Genesect era of B2/W2, I at least had an inkling of what I was doing.

That said, my first team wasn't a particularly great one. It was built around Roost + 3 attacks Scizor, and included a Hydreigon with a Speed-boosting nature and Dark Pulse over Fire Blast, a Scarf Infernape (for Genesect), and a Thundurus-T that was later replaced with a Kingdra.

I won my first battle, even though it was by timeout and I probably would have lost otherwise since my opponent managed to set up their SubDD Dragonite. Over the course of the next few battles, Scizor proceeded to do absolutely nothing useful (kept getting burnt, OHKO'd, etc.) and was eventually replaced by a RP Genesect (who was much more useful). Thundurus-T also did squat and got replaced by Kingdra once I realized it was stupid to use it without a Rapid Spinner. However, the Infernape proved himself to be a total boss.

I still have that team loaded on PS, although I haven't played with it since Genesect was banned and it's been changed slightly (among other things, Scizor's been restored to the team and I added a Landorus-T to it).

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
My first true competitive match was in the opening round of the VGC 2009 NorCal regionals. I was up against a hail team; my own team consisted of Gengar, Infernape, Salamence, Umbreon, and two fillermons who didn't get used at all in that tournament. The dude had some Scarfer or another that took out my Infernape right off the bat, so the match lasted more than just a couple of turns. I don't remember the match very well, but what I do recall is that my victory can be largely attributed to my Umbreon's amazing stalling skills. I got to the top eight in that tournament, only to be demolished by a Ludicolo. Good times.

In my first battle, I faced the no. 1 guy on the ladder atm. I have no idea how that happened. My team was actually ok and got me to 1875. But on that first game...I lost 6-0. He predicted my every fuckin move. I was crushed.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
My first OU team was pokemon of the high base stats in each stat with this weird formula lol:

Haxorus / Hydregion / Blissey / Mantine / Cofagogrigous / Ninjask

Oooohhhhh it was such shit!

First OU battle? I don't remember much, I know I used a half decent team with Virizion Jolteon and Vaporeon, and got creamed in my first 10 games. I sucked so hard back then....

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I remember my first battle was on PO, and I didn't know that Blaziken was Uber. I was getting really upset that all the people I was battling were using Darkrai, Mewtwo, and Reshiram. I can't remember much else about the team, but I do remember that it had Gallade on it because Gallade is a bamf. That was also the day I learned that Gallade>Darkrai :D

EDIT: Holy shit I just realized I was an Ubers ladder scrub 9.9

May 2009, Pokemon Platinum wifi battle against a youtube user by the name of fabdoghouse98. My team was specs empoleon / sr gliscor / double spikes cloyster / mixed flareon / twave chesto rest roar gyara / sd pursuit weavile. So based.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I first started playing during the middle of BW1, when Excadrill was still around. For some reason, I used the DPP section of the Smogon strategy guide to build my team (don't ask), and the end result was a really shitty, disfigured looking OU Gen 4 team. I went onto PO, feeling like some kind of god, ready to terrorize the ladder. My first match was against this guy called Mr. or Dr. Blue, can't remember the name entirely. He was popular on PO I guess, because he had a really gay cult following of people that were watching the match. I was terrified. I'm facing a good player with an audience right off the bat. On top of that, he was a huuuggeee dick. I told him it was my first battle, being the nooblet I was, and half of the match was him just completely toying with me, demoralizing me. Then he proceeded to 6-0 me with a Volcarona I think. He said that he'd upload the battle to YouTube, but I can't find it, thankfully.

After that, I quit Pokemon for 2 months. Yeah it was that embarrassing. Took a bit of motivation for me to get back into it, but eventually I got into lurking, posting etc. Good times.....ehhh

I first started playing during the middle of BW1, when Excadrill was still around. For some reason, I used the DPP section of the Smogon strategy guide to build my team (don't ask), and the end result was a really shitty, disfigured looking OU Gen 4 team. I went onto PO, feeling like some kind of god, ready to terrorize the ladder. My first match was against this guy called Mr. or Dr. Blue, can't remember the name entirely. He was popular on PO I guess, because he had a really gay cult following of people that were watching the match. I was terrified. I'm facing a good player with an audience right off the bat. On top of that, he was a huuuggeee dick. I told him it was my first battle, being the nooblet I was, and half of the match was him just completely toying with me, demoralizing me. Then he proceeded to 6-0 me with a Volcarona I think. He said that he'd upload the battle to YouTube, but I can't find it, thankfully.

After that, I quit Pokemon for 2 months. Yeah it was that embarrassing. Took a bit of motivation for me to get back into it, but eventually I got into lurking, posting etc. Good times.....ehhh
Its okay Gary, you can smash him now and upload the video to your youtube channel. And all your subscribers will LOL at Dr. Blur and justice will be served.

I don't remember my first battle but some notable battles I do remember when I was a noob were:

DPP UU against folgorio when he was under the alt SELENA GOMEZ and he recommended I put a Meganium on my rain team and since I was a noob I listened to him. Folgorio still sucks dick.

DPP OU I was facing Delta 2777 and his legendary Team 1600 and I was about to get 6-0ed but I asked him if he could let me kill one pokemon so he ended up selfdestructing with his Snorlax to make the score 5-0. Good times.

DPP OU/UU/Ubers against Eo I 6-0ed him each time.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Oh boy,

my first battle was against this guy
and that was damn intense. Yet, I never met someone even remotely close to his level. That game was a real battle of wills, a fight between gods, a clash of titans.
Right off the bat, from the match-up preview, I knew it was going to be hard (I was suspecting a counter team to be really honest). I mean,
against
... come on.
I furiously pressed Tackle, giving no room for my opponent to catch his breath, I knew I had to keep up with the offensive pressure.
Finally, I outplayed him pretty badly, and overcame the match-up disvantage, that fool was spamming Growl to decrease my Atk (LIKE I CARE LOL). Crushed him, I was definitely bound to be a champion.

And in all seriousness, my first game was on Shoddy some years ago (like 4 or so), I built a team with NP Crobat (that seemed to be THE SHIT). I met a Baton Pass team with Lucario as sweeper (I didn't even know this pokemon), and I thought "okay whatever, this is lame".
I searched on Google for good teams, and I took a random RMT (was a GEN 3 now that I look back at it)... I met another Baton Pass team and I felt like "OH FUCK THIS GAY SHIT, SO CHEAP". I decided to quit pokemon.

I gave a try again, I've been raped with cruelty by a CB Ttar my "first" game, but since it's been a year now, I guess I'm not done yet.

Ruby/Sapphire times on netbattle with Cyndaquil as my main sweeper. I got destroyed all the time, so i decided it was time to put 5 random ubers on my team and give chesto/lum berries to each of them because op. Now that i look back, wth was i thinking?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My first competitive battle was on Shoddy, early DP OU. I had never played competitive Pokemon before, but I had been reading Serebii's pokemon of the week for years, and stumbled onto Smogon before making my first team. Therefore, I thought I was a genius for making a team to set up with Metagross' agility and Sweep. I did mash my first opponent to bits seeing as I was low on the ladder and was facing teams with Charizard and Pikachu. I did in turn get beat into the ground against my first competent opponent. lol

My first competitive match was with an old team called "Team Immunity" back in late DPPt. It was pretty much a team consisting of Skarmory / Heatran / Electivire / Dusknoir / Vaporeon / Scizor with the goal of having immunities to tons of types (I didn't know much about EVs, so my spreads looked downright awful). I actually did ok when I first started out, although I still wasn't very good and the team was kinda bad as well. I posted a RMT to get advice and I ended up going with Azelf > Skarmory, Rotom-A > Dusknoir, and mixed Electivire > physical Electivire (yes, I once endorsed physical Evire), and the team actually did quite well. But yeah, my first competitive battles were with that team, and to be honest, I haven't gotten much better, lol.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I don't remember my first battle but my first team was like Smeargle/Jolteon/Vaporeon/Flareon/Umbreon/Metagross BP team in Gen III back on Netbattle back in 2004/2005 or something.

It won more games than it should have because BP in gen III is fucking ridiculous

I found out that online Pokemon was a thing and jumped on the biggest NetBattle server (Smogon) without knowing anything about competitive Pokemon, back in the ADV days. Turned out that I also didn't know anything about Pokémon in general, considering that I couldn't comprehend why my Jolteon was unable to paralyze Swampert with Thunder Wave. The anime lied when it said that Rock was the type immune to Electric.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I started playing competitive near the beginning of Platinum. IDK when exactly but I know that Garchomp was in Ubers.

My first team was Scarf Heatran/DD Taunt Gyarados/EVire/Specs Gengar/Skarmory/Blissey. I won my first few battles against other scrubs like myself then got 6-0ed by some guy using a modified version of obi's stall team. I still hate fighting stall teams. X_X

My first ubers team was Lead Dialga/Scarf Kyogre/Giratina/Blissey/Scizor/SD Haban Garchomp. I warstoried one of my first matches years ago...see if you can find it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)